What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Listening to Andy Reid's noon press conference, here are some notes but of course, not a whole lot there:

"We need to do better"

Will revisit coaching and schemes but won't say he anticipates any major changes

He'd like all the coaches back, doesn't anticipate making any changes

He's "fired up" Kolb wants to be a starter but not ready to make any decisions on that, would "love" to have both back.

On inconsistant offense - "We were blitzed a little bit more" "We / He (Vick) can get better at that"

On MM - "I'd love him to have an opportunity to be a head coach again"

On Vick "trying to do too much" - He and coaching staff can step back and look at the whole year and learn from it

On McDermott - Tremendous worker, worked well with the young guys and injuries this year and he'll do nothing but improve with experience and has alot of respect for him and the way he does business

On Akers - Excused for personal reasons today, no further revelations on details

CBA - Going to stay away from CBA questions, going about business as usual with no regard to it.

"Very few teams can retool the way we did and still compete"

Are you frustrated you haven't won a SB in 12 years - "I like prime rib and Superbowls and I'm hungry for both"

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess that was only a matter of time. But hey, maybe we can deal him and draft another Teo, I'm excited.

All kidding and pissedoffness aside they have to keep him. He'll be more valuable when Vick goes down then a 2nd round pick would be.
Exactly. We owe him less than $1.4mm next year. OF COURSE he wants to start or be traded, but that has absolutely no bearing on whether we will.
Alot of fans here are underestimating the relationship that Big Red and Kolb have. Change is coming....

Guess that was only a matter of time. But hey, maybe we can deal him and draft another Teo, I'm excited.

All kidding and pissedoffness aside they have to keep him. He'll be more valuable when Vick goes down then a 2nd round pick would be.
Exactly. We owe him less than $1.4mm next year. OF COURSE he wants to start or be traded, but that has absolutely no bearing on whether we will.
Alot of fans here are underestimating the relationship that Big Red and Kolb have. Change is coming....
Don't go out on a limb G-King. Of course change is coming.

Don't go out on a limb G-King. Of course change is coming.
LOL yeah ok....My point was that Jason seems to think that Kolb is staying and very well could be a back up, and his salary would not be changed. I'm saying that neither will happen.

But if you dont know my tree, then don't question the strength of its limbs, Snot. :confused:

LOL yeah ok.... My point was that Jason seems to think that Kolb is staying and very well could be a back up, and his salary would not be changed. I'm saying that neither will happen. But if you dont know my tree, then don't question the strength of its limbs, Snot. :confused:
So is he being told he will start and they're looking to move Vick, or is he being told they're looking to move him?

LOL yeah ok.... My point was that Jason seems to think that Kolb is staying and very well could be a back up, and his salary would not be changed. I'm saying that neither will happen. But if you dont know my tree, then don't question the strength of its limbs, Snot. :lmao:
So is he being told he will start and they're looking to move Vick, or is he being told they're looking to move him?
I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles shop both Vick and Kolb and trade the one who generates the best deal in return, like they did last offseason.

LOL yeah ok.... My point was that Jason seems to think that Kolb is staying and very well could be a back up, and his salary would not be changed. I'm saying that neither will happen. But if you dont know my tree, then don't question the strength of its limbs, Snot. :goodposting:
That's kinda my point, "change is coming" is as vague as it comes. My preference would be to upgrade the line and start Kolb. I don't think Vick can handle an 18 game season.

Listening to Andy Reid's noon press conference, here are some notes but of course, not a whole lot there:

"We need to do better"

Will revisit coaching and schemes but won't say he anticipates any major changes

He'd like all the coaches back, doesn't anticipate making any changes

He's "fired up" Kolb wants to be a starter but not ready to make any decisions on that, would "love" to have both back.

On inconsistant offense - "We were blitzed a little bit more" "We / He (Vick) can get better at that"

On MM - "I'd love him to have an opportunity to be a head coach again"

On Vick "trying to do too much" - He and coaching staff can step back and look at the whole year and learn from it

On McDermott - Tremendous worker, worked well with the young guys and injuries this year and he'll do nothing but improve with experience and has alot of respect for him and the way he does business

On Akers - Excused for personal reasons today, no further revelations on details

CBA - Going to stay away from CBA questions, going about business as usual with no regard to it.

"Very few teams can retool the way we did and still compete"

Are you frustrated you haven't won a SB in 12 years - "I like prime rib and Superbowls and I'm hungry for both"
David Akers was dealing with a lot more than just kicking field goals on Sunday.The Eagles kicker, of course, missed two crucial field goals in the Eagles' 21-16 playoff loss to the Packers. But Akers' mind may have been elsewhere. Several of his teammates after the game alluded that the kicker was dealing with personal matters in the week leading up to the game.

His agent, Jerrold Colton, said Monday that the matter was a "family health concern."

"David makes no excuses," Colton said. "He is an intensely private person when it comes to his family. It was a family health concern with one of his family members. That's all it is."

And from the same article:

Colton said that he and the Eagles have held contract talks, but that the expiring collective bargaining agreement had put those conversations on hold. He said that Akers wants to remain with the Eagles and that he is not considering retirement.

Akers, the longest-tenured Eagle, connected on 32 of 38 field goals in the regular season and had a league-high 143 points.

"Looking back now, 12 years, it's been a nice run," Akers said after the game. "It's not really the way I wanted to go out as an Eagle."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...l#ixzz1AfjeWJKD

Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Is Akers back with the Eagles next year?

I'm not an Eagles fan but most teams would kill to have a guy like Vick and a coach like Andy Reid. You guys have bright years ahead, imo.
It drives me nuts too think how poorly that game was called but we'll still have people talking about how Andy Reid is an "elite", "top 5", etc coach. I'm not going to go as far to say that he's got to go but will he EVER learn?
Honestly, I thought Andy/Marty called a decent game. They mixed in some runs early, and they were patient. Credit Green Bay with solid defense.

LOL yeah ok....

My point was that Jason seems to think that Kolb is staying and very well could be a back up, and his salary would not be changed. I'm saying that neither will happen.

But if you dont know my tree, then don't question the strength of its limbs, Snot. :confused:
That's kinda my point, "change is coming" is as vague as it comes. My preference would be to upgrade the line and start Kolb. I don't think Vick can handle an 18 game season.
I can't either and the thought of running with Kafka makes me ill. If they're going to an 18 game schedule a back-up like Kolb is a must and moving him would be a mistake. They've kept plenty of unhappy people and unless they extend Vick I can see him getting pissy soon after they tag him. I also don't think Vick's value will be any higher as a player and a draw then it is right now, he's the one to move if any IMO. The league has a whole off-season now and as age and injuries creep in he's not going to get better.

Like I said in my post on the first page, there is no way they keep Kolb & Vick. If they give Vick a multi year contract, he is the starter. I could see Kolb holding out for a trade. Frankly I don't blame the guy either.

For the above post, I don;t think any QB behind the current offensive line could handle 18 games.

The Eagles stand in a great position in a QB needy league. Move either guy and surely a top pick comes their way. However, additional top pick(s) or not, I have very little confidence in this FO's ability to rebuild the OL, interior DL, and LB positions. These have been glaring needs for way too long with way too many misses via the draft and otherwise. Very much like the WR position for way too long. Sure the WR position is settled now but the delay cost the team how many games/wins/championships? There's ALWAYS a dramatic failing in the personel dept.

What can we realistically get for Kolb, a 1st and 3rd? Maybe 2nd?

I think if you can put a good deal together for Kolb you do it, extend Vick, and spend a top 2 round pick on a QB this year to groom if their is the right fit. I'm not sure who is there this year end of 1st/2nd round but Vick's resurgence has bought us a few more years to groom the future while contending with Vick. What QB's this year do you see as a possibility?

Also, when we took Kolb in the 2nd years back wasn't that seen as quite a reach? Where was he projected?

What can we realistically get for Kolb, a 1st and 3rd? Maybe 2nd?I think if you can put a good deal together for Kolb you do it, extend Vick, and spend a top 2 round pick on a QB this year to groom if their is the right fit. I'm not sure who is there this year end of 1st/2nd round but Vick's resurgence has bought us a few more years to groom the future while contending with Vick. What QB's this year do you see as a possibility? Also, when we took Kolb in the 2nd years back wasn't that seen as quite a reach? Where was he projected?
I hope they don't draft a QB that early. Way too many needs on OL and D to do that. Get a cheap vet (probably a lot will want the job due to Vick's history). If Kafka doesn't improve, spend another 4th/5th next year.Kolb in the 2nd wasn't really a reach. He was originally graded out as a 3rd/4th but his stock rose a lot in March and April. Truly terrible QB draft that year - not hard to imagine he could jump guys like Beck and Stanton who also went in the 2nd that year. I think he would have gone in the 2nd even if the Eagles passed.I doubt we get a 1st for him. But a 2nd+ seems realistic. That'd be a huge discount from what they asked for last year = multiple 1sts.

It would make zero sense to trade Kolb for a 2nd round pick, no sense at all. He's an experienced, inexpensive backup in his prime with the potential to be a very good starting QB. Since we would have to use a pick on a QB relatively early to replace him, giving him up for that little would be asinine UNLESS Reid really thought Kolb was no longer capable of being a productive signal caller in his system.

If they don't get at least a 1st and 3rd for Kolb i'd be dissappointed. I wouldn't mind the 3rd being next year either. With Vick pretty close to being over the hill football wise and the beating he took he won't keep his magic up past 34. I'd say try to sign him for a 4 year extension and draft a successor in next year's draft. Heck, if you get a 1st for next year they may 'Luck' out and could select Andrew Luck.

I'd kind of hope they push hard after Namdi Asomugha this off season. Getting him and everybody back healthy would make a dramatic difference on the defense.

If they don't get at least a 1st and 3rd for Kolb i'd be dissappointed. I wouldn't mind the 3rd being next year either. With Vick pretty close to being over the hill football wise and the beating he took he won't keep his magic up past 34. I'd say try to sign him for a 4 year extension and draft a successor in next year's draft. Heck, if you get a 1st for next year they may 'Luck' out and could select Andrew Luck.

I'd kind of hope they push hard after Namdi Asomugha this off season. Getting him and everybody back healthy would make a dramatic difference on the defense.
It sure would be fun forcing opposing QB's to throw toward Samuels all the time. While they have a couple of other spots to address, this is the type of move that would put them over the top IMO

I'm hearing they were more than a little interested when he became a FA. IMO, CB is the second biggest need on this team.

I'm hearing they were more than a little interested when he became a FA. IMO, CB is the second biggest need on this team.
:shock: Liking what I hear DH, although I think he is going to get a ton of bank from someone else it sounds as if he could just pick which team to play for because I hear a lot of teams are lining up. although with the labor unrest who knows ho9w this will come about. Plus the Eagles already have almost 50 million tied up in CB alone I think.I also hope they go after Mankins, the Pats RG, we get him they can draft a RT and that will probably help the line out tremendoulsly.

:rant: Liking what I hear DH, although I think he is going to get a ton of bank from someone else it sounds as if he could just pick which team to play for because I hear a lot of teams are lining up. although with the labor unrest who knows ho9w this will come about. Plus the Eagles already have almost 50 million tied up in CB alone I think.I also hope they go after Mankins, the Pats RG, we get him they can draft a RT and that will probably help the line out tremendoulsly.
Yeah, the big stumbling block with all of the Free Agents this year will be the lack of a firm CBA. My buddy is pretty much solely on the drafting side of things, so he's isn't affected by it much yet, but others in the FO are sweating bullets. No one really knows what's going to happen.

That's good to hear DH but as I'm sure you'll agree, we really shouldn't be building up much hope on Aso being an Eagle. I can't imagine there are many GMs in the NFL right now that aren't "more than a little interested" in a dominant cover corner who is completely unencumbered and in his prime. :shrug:

That's good to hear DH but as I'm sure you'll agree, we really shouldn't be building up much hope on Aso being an Eagle. I can't imagine there are many GMs in the NFL right now that aren't "more than a little interested" in a dominant cover corner who is completely unencumbered and in his prime. :hot:
I remember his name was mentioned more than a few times last offseason during McNabb to Oakland trade speculation.Not sure if that was in actual offers or just speculation but would have been interesting to see how it would have turned out.

I think CB & RG is 1a & 1b in terms of needs. They are some different scenarios then can do depending who is had in FA prior to the draft. I think McGlynn becomes a part of this puzzle. If Jackson is back & healthy, they can put him back at Center, move McGlynn to RG. Then they can look at FA for a RT. Thats just one scenario you can have though.

I think CB & RG is 1a & 1b in terms of needs. They are some different scenarios then can do depending who is had in FA prior to the draft. I think McGlynn becomes a part of this puzzle. If Jackson is back & healthy, they can put him back at Center, move McGlynn to RG. Then they can look at FA for a RT. Thats just one scenario you can have though.
Ah, remember the days when the mouth-breather callers on WIP were killing the Birds for signing Samuel because CB 'wasn't a big need'? The FO is much smarter than the average fan gives them credit for.BTW, I'm not pointing that comment at anyone in particular on the board, it just struck me funny, that's all.

:thumbup: Liking what I hear DH, although I think he is going to get a ton of bank from someone else it sounds as if he could just pick which team to play for because I hear a lot of teams are lining up. although with the labor unrest who knows ho9w this will come about. Plus the Eagles already have almost 50 million tied up in CB alone I think.I also hope they go after Mankins, the Pats RG, we get him they can draft a RT and that will probably help the line out tremendoulsly.
Both excellent ideas that I think are doable. The Eagles take a few offseasons off before making big splashes. I think they are due for a big one. They played it cheap last year and we managed a 10-6 record with a division crown. This year, targeting Aso is a must. Having a guy like that on one side makes Asante infinitely more effective at what he does. Mankins would be a hug boost as well. Secure a part of the middle and it makes the rest of the line look better overall. Still need to draft high for replacement talent but Mankins is a good stop gap. Two big pieces that could help plug the holes and mask other problems.

Ah, remember the days when the mouth-breather callers on WIP were killing the Birds for signing Samuel because CB 'wasn't a big need'? The FO is much smarter than the average fan gives them credit for.BTW, I'm not pointing that comment at anyone in particular on the board, it just struck me funny, that's all.
The FO is smart for signing Samuel? The FO is a reason the CBs are weak. When was the last time the Eagles spent a day 1 pick on CB? If the FO is smart for signing Samuel then all that intelligence is negated for their stupidity in ignoring the CB position since then and for their inability to find a DE who they continue to waste first day picks on.

The FO is smart for signing Samuel? The FO is a reason the CBs are weak. When was the last time the Eagles spent a day 1 pick on CB? If the FO is smart for signing Samuel then all that intelligence is negated for their stupidity in ignoring the CB position since then and for their inability to find a DE who they continue to waste first day picks on.
:goodposting: Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone and their brother thought the Graham pick was a good one and most of the 'experts' thought he was a can't miss prospect. You only have so many picks to play with and you do what you can with them.

The spending a day 1 pick on the position is irrelevant. Hell, as good as Samuel is he wasn't even a first round pick. Also, I'm pretty sure our CB's have been relatively good though just as early as 2009.

Bigboy10182000 said:
The spending a day 1 pick on the position is irrelevant. Hell, as good as Samuel is he wasn't even a first round pick. Also, I'm pretty sure our CB's have been relatively good though just as early as 2009.
Because they spent high picks on CB in 2002, then they let the position deteriorate since then.

Deranged Hermit said:
:confused: Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone and their brother thought the Graham pick was a good one and most of the 'experts' thought he was a can't miss prospect. You only have so many picks to play with and you do what you can with them.
The fact that they even had to take Graham is symbolic of how pathetic they've been at drafting defensive linemen.

Deranged Hermit said:
:confused: Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone and their brother thought the Graham pick was a good one and most of the 'experts' thought he was a can't miss prospect. You only have so many picks to play with and you do what you can with them.
The fact that they even had to take Graham is symbolic of how pathetic they've been at drafting defensive linemen.
I can't argue with that. For whatever reason they have problems properly evaluating DL. Just to play Devil's Advocate, who would you have drafted instead of Graham? Be honest.*edit* I personally thought Graham was the right pick at the time followed by Earl Thomas, followed by Pouncey.

Deranged Hermit said:
:shrug: Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone and their brother thought the Graham pick was a good one and most of the 'experts' thought he was a can't miss prospect. You only have so many picks to play with and you do what you can with them.
I can't argue with that. For whatever reason they have problems properly evaluating DL. Just to play Devil's Advocate, who would you have drafted instead of Graham? Be honest.*edit* I personally thought Graham was the right pick at the time followed by Earl Thomas, followed by Pouncey.
Honestly, I thought they traded up to get Earl Thomas. But my point isn't whether Graham is good or not, it's too early to tell. My point is, the FO is the reason why the CB position is so weak, and I'm not gonna praise them for having the foresight to sign Samuel when it wasn't a need then and it is now because the reason it's a need now is that they neglected it for so long.

Deranged Hermit said:
:shrug: Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone and their brother thought the Graham pick was a good one and most of the 'experts' thought he was a can't miss prospect. You only have so many picks to play with and you do what you can with them.
I do remember a number of media pundits saying he could be the DROY at the time. I wasn't mad at the pick, though I wanted a S (got Allen) and really wanted Pouncey. I also wanted the C that the Browns got a year or two before. Mack, maybe? I know the C position isn't often regarded as all that important compared to the T spots and even G, but it seems if you can get a solid one in that is smart, you can be set for years at the position. This then gives you more flexibility at the other spots.

Deranged Hermit said:
Personally I thought Earl Thomas was the pick. Then we were going CB in the 2nd. I remember being stunned but the more I read about Graham, I started to like him. Just hasn't worked out and DE, while a need, wasn't that pressing. Pouncey was a pipe dream. I would have preferred Pouncey over all of them but with the threat of JJ being healthy, no way they were going pouncey. Turns out that would have been brilliant.

Bigboy10182000 said:
Because they spent high picks on CB in 2002, then they let the position deteriorate since then.
I can't really tell of this is frustration or not thinking it through or both. They drafted some pretty damn good CB's then, no? If you got 2 starting CB's that year then how are you letting the position deteriorate? That position at that time was very stable and because of these 2 picks it remained stable until this season. Right now and even the past year we had a pro-bowl CB and one of the best in the league. Is there a need for another? Sure, but you're acting as if theyve been weak at that position the past decade when in fact it hasn't.

Deranged Hermit said:
:goodposting: Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone and their brother thought the Graham pick was a good one and most of the 'experts' thought he was a can't miss prospect. You only have so many picks to play with and you do what you can with them.
I thought it was Pierre-Paul. This team places high value on certain positions and over the years they seem willing to go up and get them. Usually DE and OT, now I was shocked when they went up to get Maclin a couple years back. Not because they didn't take Pettigrew but because I didn't think they cared about WR. all in all Graham wasn't a shock to be.

Bigboy10182000 said:
I can't really tell of this is frustration or not thinking it through or both. They drafted some pretty damn good CB's then, no? If you got 2 starting CB's that year then how are you letting the position deteriorate? That position at that time was very stable and because of these 2 picks it remained stable until this season. Right now and even the past year we had a pro-bowl CB and one of the best in the league. Is there a need for another? Sure, but you're acting as if theyve been weak at that position the past decade when in fact it hasn't.
How can you be so obtuse. You let the position deteriorate by not addressing it since 2002. The organization used to be proactive in their drafting, in 2002 we had Vincent and Taylor at CB. It certainly wasn't a need then, yet they still went after two CBs that early.

Deranged Hermit said:
I thought it was Pierre-Paul. This team places high value on certain positions and over the years they seem willing to go up and get them. Usually DE and OT, now I was shocked when they went up to get Maclin a couple years back. Not because they didn't take Pettigrew but because I didn't think they cared about WR. all in all Graham wasn't a shock to be.
Are we permanently writing off Graham because we think he is a bust, the injury, or both?

Deranged Hermit said:
:lmao: Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone and their brother thought the Graham pick was a good one and most of the 'experts' thought he was a can't miss prospect. You only have so many picks to play with and you do what you can with them.
Are we permanently writing off Graham because we think he is a bust, the injury, or both?
I still think Graham can be a player. There aren't many players that produce in a huge way in their first year.

That injury is going to be a gigantic setback though. I'm not ready to call him a bust now but at this point it wouldn't shock me. I thought he would/could be a Hugh Douglas type.

Bigboy10182000 said:
How can you be so obtuse. You let the position deteriorate by not addressing it since 2002. The organization used to be proactive in their drafting, in 2002 we had Vincent and Taylor at CB. It certainly wasn't a need then, yet they still went after two CBs that early.
They had 2 good CB from 2002 until when?Also, it's a lot easier to be proactive when you have a talented roster without many holes to fill, wouldn't you agree?

According to CSN Philly's Reuben Frank, free agent Nnamdi Asomugha is "at the top of the Eagles' offseason priority list."

Frank is a very reliable beat writer, but he appears to be deducing here rather than reporting. Asomugha is adamant about playing for a contender, and the Eagles have a major need opposite Asante Samuel as well as money to spend on a top tier recruit. As far as fits go, Asomugha would be an instant secondary fix for a team that is expected to contend for the Super Bowl next year. Jan. 11 - 6:02 pm et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines...L&hl=198583

I hope the Giants are in the mix too.

It wouldn't shock me since it's a need and one position they will spend money on.

They had Sal Pal on 97.5 and I didn't catch the whole discussion but I heard Sal Pal mention that if John Fox didn't get the Denver job that it was possible he would come aboard ala Marty to help McDermott with the D. I don't really know much about Fox but having a veteran like him couldn't hurt, could it?

It wouldn't shock me since it's a need and one position they will spend money on.They had Sal Pal on 97.5 and I didn't catch the whole discussion but I heard Sal Pal mention that if John Fox didn't get the Denver job that it was possible he would come aboard ala Marty to help McDermott with the D. I don't really know much about Fox but having a veteran like him couldn't hurt, could it?
Prior to the Carolina job, Fox was the DC for the Giants, his last year the Giants lost the Superbowl vs the Ravens. The defense was really good as I recall during his tenure and he built some good defenses with Carolina early on. He's rumored to be at the top of the list for the Giants DC job if Fewell leaves to be a head coach.

That injury is going to be a gigantic setback though. I'm not ready to call him a bust now but at this point it wouldn't shock me. I thought he would/could be a Hugh Douglas type.
This.

I don't see him being on the field by at least the end of the season. I don't think they will rush him back as they tried that with other players and failed horribly. 2012 will be his first full season back from injury & whose to say he doesn't lose a step cause of it too.

Good player, high potential, wrong pick for the eagles. said it before, will say it again. Would have been happy with Pouncey @ #1 & still had those picks. That would have settled a BIG hole @ center plus giving you back those two 3rd round picks.

I can't wait until the draft talk kicks in though.

Do the Eagles have enough money to sign Asomugha, Vick and DeSean Jackson?
I think it comes down to salary cap. Will there be one, and what will it be? I am sure they have the money, it comes down to will they be able to keep their core of players?

Users who are viewing this thread