What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2012-13 Hot Stove Thread (1 Viewer)

'TobiasFunke said:
'Brady Marino said:
'Snotbubbles said:
'Premier said:
BJ Upton to make his decision this week. Oh the anticipation.
The race to see who is going to really really really hate giving that contract come 2014
I saw 5/75 being thrown around as numbers for Upton. If that is true, that isn't horrible. He would slot nicely in the 2 hole for Philly and would mash at CBP. I could see a 35 HR, 90 RBI season for him in Philly.
A guy with a sub .300 OBP isn't what I'd call "ideal" for the 2 hole. 2008 or maybe even 2011 BJ Upton, but definitely not 2012 BJ Upton.
The sub .300 OBP year was probably more an outlier than aging. I'd expect him around .320 as usual.Not sure his power numbers will jump though. He got to feast on some pretty awful pitching last season in the AL East, especially when it comes to allowing HRs. That won't be the case in the NL East. He won't have to face one of the best rotations in baseball because he'll sign with them, but that still leaves two of the best out there, plus the Mets with Dickey and Harvey and the Marlins playing in that ridiculously huge park.
He didn't have a big BABIP dip last year. Walks down, K's up, more swings at pitches outside of the zone. 28 HR, but it was a pretty ugly 28 HR.His UZR has also been consistently average (and heading slightly downward), but he's no Michael Bourn in the field.
Plus I guess we've seen big dropoffs in his approach before. Crazy that he was a .380 OBP type guy just 4 years ago. Still, I think he'll recover to something in the .310-.325 range. I just can't accept a guy that talented with an OBP under .300. I do think the power will drop back down to maybe 20 HRs, though.
Two very different years. In 2007, he had an insanely high BABIP of .393. In 2008, his BABIP was still high (.344), but he also took a more disciplined approach and walked a lot more, and struck out a lot less. Granted, his power dropped and he went from 24 HR/.209 ISO to 9 HR/.128 ISO, but that was his best year, WAR-wise. It really boils down to what BJ Upton wants to do, the approach of his next hitting coach, etc. No telling what we'll get next year. :shrug:

Two very different years. In 2007, he had an insanely high BABIP of .393. In 2008, his BABIP was still high (.344), but he also took a more disciplined approach and walked a lot more, and struck out a lot less. Granted, his power dropped and he went from 24 HR/.209 ISO to 9 HR/.128 ISO, but that was his best year, WAR-wise. It really boils down to what BJ Upton wants to do, the approach of his next hitting coach, etc. No telling what we'll get next year. :shrug:
The Phils hired Steve Henderson who was the TB Rays hitting coach from 2006-2009.

'shadyridr said:
Pettitte resigns with Yanks for 1yr, $11mYanks also close to re-signing Rivera & Ichiro
Yankees appear to be keeping the old band together for 2013 like Stallone casting The Expendables 3. If they're one year deals, they're not going to hurt anyone, especially a team with deep pockets. It seems like they're planning to take their shot with the old guys and then dip under the luxury tax threshold for a year in 2014.
i think that was the plan all along
This is the comparatively easy part of the plan. We'll see who's standing on the baseline for opening day 2014.
This is the last rodeo for Pettitte, Kuroda, Granderson, Ichiro, Rivera, & probably Martin if he signs a 1-yr deal
...Jeter? :shrug:
Couldn't bring myself to even consider the possibility!

Buster Olney of ESPN.com was told by a person involved in the Zack Greinke talks that there is a "good chance" his new contract is worth more than CC Sabathia's record record $161 million deal.

Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com previously reported that the deal could be in the six-year, $150 million range, and evidently it might end up being higher than that. With the Angels reportedly out of the mix, the spend-happy Dodgers look like the clear favorites to land the right-hander. The Rangers are also in the mix. Nov 27 - 6:11 PM

Source: Buster Olney on Twitter

Wow, so much for my thinking that someone was gonna get him at a bargain this offseason. I guess on-field performance doesn't matter like it used to.

And he kept on taking it after he was busted for it once, even though he knew he'd be tested regularly after the first failed test. Obviously he thought it was helping his performance substantially.

Hasn't Grienke only been ok-ish lately?
:goodposting: I wouldnt even rank him among the top 10 pitchers in baseball.
Well there's a huge difference between "ok-ish" and the top ten pitchers in baseball. But I think there's a good argument that Greinke is in the Top 10 of starters as far as value going forward.His rank in fWAR over the last five years: 7,25,12,1, 16. That's pretty frigging impressive. You can count the number of guys who have appeared in the top 25 each of the last 5 years on one hand and still have a couple fingers left over. You can count the number of guys with that kind of resume who are younger than 33 on one hand and have four fingers left over.Honestly if money is no object, who would you rather have on your team for the next six years than Greinke? Verlander, Kershaw, Felix, Strasburg, Price ... anyone else? Hamels and Cain is basically his equals. Sale or Darvish have a higher upside but more risk.

Honestly if money is no object, who would you rather have on your team for the next six years than Greinke? Verlander, Kershaw, Felix, Strasburg, Price ... anyone else? Hamels and Cain is basically his equals. Sale or Darvish have a higher upside but more risk.
1 Verlander2 Felix3 Kershaw4 Price5 Strasburg6 Hamels7 Cain8 Gio G9 Bumgarner10 Sale11 M Moore12 J Weaver13 J Zimmermann14 M Latos15 DarvishThere are probably more but that is a good start.

Hasn't Grienke only been ok-ish lately?
:goodposting: I wouldnt even rank him among the top 10 pitchers in baseball.
Well there's a huge difference between "ok-ish" and the top ten pitchers in baseball. But I think there's a good argument that Greinke is in the Top 10 of starters as far as value going forward.His rank in fWAR over the last five years: 7,25,12,1, 16. That's pretty frigging impressive. You can count the number of guys who have appeared in the top 25 each of the last 5 years on one hand and still have a couple fingers left over. You can count the number of guys with that kind of resume who are younger than 33 on one hand and have four fingers left over.Honestly if money is no object, who would you rather have on your team for the next six years than Greinke? Verlander, Kershaw, Felix, Strasburg, Price ... anyone else? Hamels and Cain is basically his equals. Sale or Darvish have a higher upside but more risk.
Only one I can think of that's missing is Weaver

Honestly if money is no object, who would you rather have on your team for the next six years than Greinke? Verlander, Kershaw, Felix, Strasburg, Price ... anyone else? Hamels and Cain is basically his equals. Sale or Darvish have a higher upside but more risk.
1 Verlander2 Felix3 Kershaw4 Price5 Strasburg6 Hamels7 Cain8 Gio G9 Bumgarner10 Sale11 M Moore12 J Weaver13 J Zimmermann14 M Latos15 DarvishThere are probably more but that is a good start.
There's no way I'm taking Gio, Sale, Moore, Zimmerman, Latos, or Darvish over Greinke for the next 6 years. Gio/Sale/Moore have the talent and upside, but Greinke is already a Cy Young award winner with several outstanding seasons under his belt which has to count for more than potential. And the other guys aren't even close IMO.ETA: but I do like Zimmerman a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no way I'm taking Gio, Sale, Moore, Zimmerman, Latos, or Darvish over Greinke for the next 6 years. Gio/Sale/Moore have the talent and upside, but Greinke is already a Cy Young award winner with several outstanding seasons under his belt which has to count for more than potential. And the other guys aren't even close IMO.ETA: but I do like Zimmerman a lot
Suit yourself. Greinke's Cy Young was in 2009...that's a while ago. He's been about a 3.70 ERA pitcher since 2009 and that's pretty accurate with his career ERA. He has really good control and can K guys, but isn't elite in the strikeout department. He's a good pitcher but no lock to be better the next 6 years than anyone I listed. And the guy has some baggage that comes with him as well.

Suit yourself. Greinke's Cy Young was in 2009...that's a while ago. He's been about a 3.70 ERA pitcher since 2009 and that's pretty accurate with his career ERA. He has really good control and can K guys, but isn't elite in the strikeout department. He's a good pitcher but no lock to be better the next 6 years than anyone I listed. And the guy has some baggage that comes with him as well.
Greinke is the only one available on the market :shrug:He doesn't have to be better than those guys, he only has to be better than Sanchez, Haren, Jackson, et.al.

Phils about to acquire Wilton Lopez from the Astros. Appears that Sebastian Valle is going to Houston.

If so, looks like the Phils have solved that setup man problem.

I'm a Nats fan and if money was not an issue I'd trade Gio for Greinke in a heartbeat. Zimmermann too.From that list the only one I'd say for sure that I didn't already mention was Weaver.

I can't fully support any player who openly admits to quitting on his team (even if it is the Royals despite the fact the organization quit a long time ago), and who still throws tantrums on the field when calls don't go his way. He's a tremendous talent but I'm not sure I'd want him at anywhere near the price he's commanding.

I'm a Nats fan and if money was not an issue I'd trade Gio for Greinke in a heartbeat. Zimmermann too.From that list the only one I'd say for sure that I didn't already mention was Weaver.
This guy disagreeshttp://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8627624/rating-players-contracts-major-league-baseball-part-2Gio ranked 11th in his trade value column. Grienke not even in the top 50

This guy disagreeshttp://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8627624/rating-players-contracts-major-league-baseball-part-2Gio ranked 11th in his trade value column. Grienke not even in the top 50
Keri's column factors in salaries

true, i missed tobias saying "if money wasnt an issue"

Exactly. That's what I said "if money was not an issue." If I'm going to pay a player X salary for 5 years, I'd rather have Greinke than Gio or Zimmermann or really anyone other maybe 8 or so guys.

Apparently you have a much higher opinion of Greinke than I do, or a lower opinion of Gio/Zimm.

Apparently you have a much higher opinion of Greinke than I do, or a lower opinion of Gio/Zimm.
:lmao: Maybe both.I like both of our guys, but Gio had a career year in 2012 with a .267 BABIP that probably won't repeat. Zimmermann is rock solid, but he's not a K an inning guy and is still just a couple years removed from TJ surgery. Greinke has the track record and the elite K/BB stuff.

:lmao: Maybe both.I like both of our guys, but Gio had a career year in 2012 with a .267 BABIP that probably won't repeat. Zimmermann is rock solid, but he's not a K an inning guy and is still just a couple years removed from TJ surgery. Greinke has the track record and the elite K/BB stuff.
Gio matured and moved to the NL. He was already a K per inning guy and facing NL batting orders wasn't going to hurt that. His ERA has dropped every year for 5 years. You may not believe in the guy on your favorite team but I would disagree with you when saying Gio's year was borderline fluky.Zimmermann isn't a K per inning guy. About 6/7 per 9. But his control is everybit as good as Greinke's. His ERA the past 2 years is no fluke either, he's become a fantastic young pitcher and the sky is the limit.ETA: As stated before, Greinke is a little slice of crazy. He's gone crazy on umps recently and has had his issues in the past playing in front of people. I doubt he'd be much of a fit in NY or Boston because he's sensitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gio matured and moved to the NL. He was already a K per inning guy and facing NL batting orders wasn't going to hurt that. His ERA has dropped every year for 5 years. You may not believe in the guy on your favorite team but I would disagree with you when saying Gio's year was borderline fluky.Zimmermann isn't a K per inning guy. About 6/7 per 9. But his control is everybit as good as Greinke's. His ERA the past 2 years is no fluke either, he's become a fantastic young pitcher and the sky is the limit.ETA: As stated before, Greinke is a little slice of crazy. He's gone crazy on umps recently and has had his issues in the past playing in front of people. I doubt he'd be much of a fit in NY or Boston because he's sensitive.
You're talking me into Gio a bit- I appreciate that. Still think I perfer Greinke to him by a hair, and prefer Grienke to Zimmermann by more than that.Yeah, I know about Greinke's issues but they don't concern me. If they haven't affected his consistency in his early to mid 20s, I don't think they will in his late 20s to early 30s. I guess maybe he has to stay away from NY and Boston if that's how his issues work, but there's 27 teams left so I'm not sure that impacts his value that much.

Greinke has always been a SABERMATRICIAN stud but it never translates on the field. He always has that one implosion inning where everything seems to go wrong.

Ken Davidoff of the New York Post reports that the Yankees and Andy Pettitte have agreed to a one-year, $12 million contract.Pettitte had already committed to returning for 2013 and wasn't expected to pitch elsewhere, so it was just a matter of working out the terms. The 40-year-old southpaw earned $2.5 million this past season while posting a quality 2.87 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 69/21 K/BB ratio in 75 1/3 innings. There's still a chance the Yankees could add some insurance before the winter is done, but their rotation is pretty much set.
It amazes me what these guys make. $12 million guaranteed for this has been. Good for him I guess.

Ken Davidoff of the New York Post reports that the Yankees and Andy Pettitte have agreed to a one-year, $12 million contract.Pettitte had already committed to returning for 2013 and wasn't expected to pitch elsewhere, so it was just a matter of working out the terms. The 40-year-old southpaw earned $2.5 million this past season while posting a quality 2.87 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 69/21 K/BB ratio in 75 1/3 innings. There's still a chance the Yankees could add some insurance before the winter is done, but their rotation is pretty much set.
It amazes me what these guys make. $12 million guaranteed for this has been. Good for him I guess.
He was very effective last year, albeit in very limited IP.Pettite has been a consistently good performer. In 17 MLB seasons, his worst ERA+ was 97. If he's healthy enough to pitch, chances are he'll do it well enough to earn the $12M. If he's not healthy enough, it's the Yankees.

'Eephus said:
'scrumptrulescent said:
He was very effective last year, albeit in very limited IP.Pettite has been a consistently good performer. In 17 MLB seasons, his worst ERA+ was 97. If he's healthy enough to pitch, chances are he'll do it well enough to earn the $12M. If he's not healthy enough, it's the Yankees.
Pettitte was excellent last year, and has become nearly automatic in terms of postseason. Early in his career he was overrated, but over the last 10 years he has become a playoff horse.

Sounds like BJ Upton is heading to Atlanta. Terms not yet known.

Obviously judgment depends on the terms of the deal, but like I said before, I think the OBP bounces back a little but the power takes a big hit with the NL East move. For the 2013 Braves, slight downgrade from 2012 Bourn, but not a huge one. Bourn was slumping pretty severely there at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread