What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2012 San Diego Chargers **** (1 Viewer)

'36th Chamber said:
When is the Charger's front office going to wake up
Not until there's a new owner. Until then all changes are cosmetic. The bad news for us Charger fans is that the organization is dead from the head/wallet down.

Acee's saying Norv will be fired if they lose Thursday, vs. the Chiefs. Guess who's winning Thursday?
I figured the only reason he wasnt fired is the short week coming.
Yeah, if they fire Norv, the big thing isn't replacing the head coach. The big thing is replacing the offensive coordinator. How do they implement a game plan in three days without an offensive coordinator? I don't think anyone on the current staff besides Norv is really capable of it, and nobody from outside would be able to come in and do it that quickly.They've got a long week after Thursday...

Last edited by a moderator:
'Maurile Tremblay said:
'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
'Gr00vus said:
Acee's saying Norv will be fired if they lose Thursday, vs. the Chiefs. Guess who's winning Thursday?
I figured the only reason he wasnt fired is the short week coming.
Yeah, if they fire Norv, the big thing isn't replacing the head coach. The big thing is replacing the offensive coordinator. How do they implement a game plan in three days without an offensive coordinator? I don't think anyone on the current staff besides Norv is really capable of it, and nobody from outside would be able to come in and do it that quickly.They've got a long week after Thursday...
I've long said that replacing the HC mid-season makes no sense but really.... what does it really matter how many points SD scores against KC in the middle of another lost season? Turner is bearing a lot of the brunt of AJ refusing to assemble an OL but I think if the special teams coach drew up plays in the dirt with a stick they could probably equal two FG's.John Pagano hasn't done a bad job... just let him HC the rest of the year. Or just make Charlie Joiner HC as a PR move. For a team that cries about needing a new stadium or they'll leave they seem to make coaching/GM decisions based on how much it will cost them. I was a Norv defender for a lot of years as the SD point differential was between +134 to +92 in his first four seasons as "experts" would whine about how much he sucked as a coach. Last season was a whole different situation as the team dropped to +29 and they really should have made the move before this season began. If they really want a new stadium(I for one don't think any of these owners NEED a new stadium) you would think they would be wise enough to just back up a Brinks truck and give Cowher all the power/money he wants to generate excitement in the community. There are some pieces that might be attractive to him. He's a defensive guy with a 3-4 pedigree and this team has LB's that can rush the passer and one of the best safeties in the game. He wouldn't need to build a QB from the ground up although a move toward a run oriented ball control offense would be welcome. While $10mil/season may sound like an outlandish sum to pay a HC it would seem like pennies on the dollar if it generated enough excitement in the community to get a new stadium built. I think the highest paid coach now is Belichick at ~$8mil/season. Cowher may live in NC but I thought his daughter was married to an LA King so he has family in southern cal. It would be tough for any HC to turn down that type of money, to live/work in SD, and have complete power in the organization. I know every franchise says "hire Cowher" but this team isn't a complete rebuild, it's more of a retool and needs a change in philosophy. This should be an attractive situation for a veteran HC that doesn't want to wait several drafts before they can compete.

I've long said that replacing the HC mid-season makes no sense but really.... what does it really matter how many points SD scores against KC in the middle of another lost season?
They're one game out of first place with over half a season left.Beating KC is important.

They're one game out of first place with over half a season left.
I'm not saying it's out of the realm of possibility to win the AFC West, but just because the hapless division has to send a representative to the playoffs doesn't mean any of the teams are any good. Seems to be plenty of people that think the donks are a good team but their most impressive win this entire season has been against SD, and even in that game they were getting blown out in the first half.Norv got the job because SD lost in the first round every year. Even if he does lose in the first round I don't think he deserves to keep his job for being lucky enough to coach in the most hapless division in the NFL.

Norv got the job because SD lost in the first round every year. Even if he does lose in the first round I don't think he deserves to keep his job for being lucky enough to coach in the most hapless division in the NFL.
SD wasn't losing in the first round every year before Norv took over... they had only made the playoffs 2 times in the previous 11 seasons. They lost in the wild card round in 2004 and in the division round in 2006. It was the nature of those losses, particularly the 2006 loss, that made them hard to take.People don't care much now, but Norv got the Chargers into the playoffs in his first 3 seasons and won a few games. I think A.J. Smith has been a bigger reason for the decline than Norv, although I did feel both of them should have been fired after last season.If the Chargers make the playoffs at this point, I don't think Norv will be going anywhere. That would likely require winning 7 or more of their remaining 9 games, so they would finish with 10+ wins. (I'm not saying I expect that to happen; I don't.)

give Cowher all the power/money he wants
Other people (radio talking heads, etc.) have said he won't take the job if A.J. is still there because of the whole Marty thing. Even if A.J. was gone they're saying the Cleveland job makes more sense for him than the S.D. one. :shrug:

'Gr00vus said:
Other people (radio talking heads, etc.) have said he won't take the job if A.J. is still there because of the whole Marty thing. Even if A.J. was gone they're saying the Cleveland job makes more sense for him than the S.D. one. :shrug:
How about Gruden?
These guys were saying he's more than happy being an announcer. And in truth, are we sure he's a great coach? Given, beggars can't be choosers, but there isn't as much of Rivers's career to waste now as there was when they took the Norv offramp. I can't believe the Chargers missed out on both Harbaughs, but I'd like to see them try to find someone like that if they can. It means gambling on an untested guy, which didn't end well with Riley, but they need to start swinging for the fences here. Playing it safe has gotten them to where they are right now.

You know for all the criticism of SD coaching and management they are still 3-4, just one game out from the Broncos and a game left with the Broncos (whom they were beating 24-0, but man what a mindscrew that was).

KC coming to town and Denver playing at Cincy.

This season is still a wash as far as they are concerned, they can start all over this week.

'Gr00vus said:
Well, they won't have on offensive line until AJ leaves so when I say they needed to replace Norv it goes without saying they need to replace AJ as well. The CLE job is an attractive one but with established coaches like Fisher/Cowher I think it comes down to front office control and their ability to "shop for the groceries" or whatever.

why on earth would you give Cowher all the power? He didnt have any GM/personnel decisions in Pitt.
Because I don't think you get a coach of that caliber without giving him all the power. Or at least give him the ability "to choose who he wants to work" in the front office, which is essentially letting him hand pick the GM, which is essentially giving him all the power.I'm with Gr00vus, you need to do something bold. The impression I get, and most other SD fans have, is the time to make a change was really at the end of last year but they didn't because they had Norv/AJ under contract and didn't really want to pay them and a new coaching staff and front office.

You know for all the criticism of SD coaching and management they are still 3-4, just one game out from the Broncos and a game left with the Broncos (whom they were beating 24-0, but man what a mindscrew that was).KC coming to town and Denver playing at Cincy.This season is still a wash as far as they are concerned, they can start all over this week.
That might mean something if the broncos, or raiders, or chiefs were any good. I don't think any of them are very good. I don't think any of them can win a playoff game. The winner of the AFC West is the one eyed man in a division of the blind.If you mean "start all over" in that they can somehow get an entirely new OL I'd be all for that. A playoff team is going to destroy that offensive line and some of us have been saying that since the day last season ended and yet nothing was done to improve upon it. It seems pretty obvious to me that nothing will be done again next year to fix the glaring problem of the last several years if AJ keeps his job.

I hope nobody is mistaking this victory as some sort of turnaround. AFC West teams beating each other is like watching a fight club at a battered women's shelter. The entire division has 6 victories outside the division. Their combined record was (4-12) before their games with the mighty AFC West.

This is the same type of meaningless victory that was just enough to make the team appear mediocre enough to keep AJ/Norv around for this season. What makes it less impressive than the 6 TO game in KC is most of the TO's made by KC in this game were completely self inflicted. Muffed punts. Receivers tipping the ball into the hands of a defender. Weddle didn't need to make any one handed INT's as the ball was handed to the defense in most cases.

Speaking of Weddle, it's unbelievable that the Chargers best player is returning punts. He's clearly the leader of the defense, best player on the team, and maybe the best safety in the game right now. What he's not is a talented punt returner. If nobody else can return them that's fine, just fair catch them and avoid taking the punishment. Go for all out blocks in punting situations for crying out loud. It's not bad enough they are exposing Rivers to injury behind that porous OL every game but they now need to expose Weddle to punishment returning punts every game because the plethora of top notch WR's that were signed off the street a few days ago can't return punts. Please don't anyone dare say that Royal is earning his contract because he normally returns punts in addition to his 1.5 receptions a game. Genius AJ, pure genius.

I hope nobody is mistaking this victory as some sort of turnaround. AFC West teams beating each other is like watching a fight club at a battered women's shelter. The entire division has 6 victories outside the division. Their combined record was (4-12) before their games with the mighty AFC West. This is the same type of meaningless victory that was just enough to make the team appear mediocre enough to keep AJ/Norv around for this season. What makes it less impressive than the 6 TO game in KC is most of the TO's made by KC in this game were completely self inflicted. Muffed punts. Receivers tipping the ball into the hands of a defender. Weddle didn't need to make any one handed INT's as the ball was handed to the defense in most cases. Speaking of Weddle, it's unbelievable that the Chargers best player is returning punts. He's clearly the leader of the defense, best player on the team, and maybe the best safety in the game right now. What he's not is a talented punt returner. If nobody else can return them that's fine, just fair catch them and avoid taking the punishment. Go for all out blocks in punting situations for crying out loud. It's not bad enough they are exposing Rivers to injury behind that porous OL every game but they now need to expose Weddle to punishment returning punts every game because the plethora of top notch WR's that were signed off the street a few days ago can't return punts. Please don't anyone dare say that Royal is earning his contract because he normally returns punts in addition to his 1.5 receptions a game. Genius AJ, pure genius.
"So you're saying there's a chance..."

November 09, 2012 6:47 pm  •  Tom Krasovic(1) Comments

Norv Turner is still coach of the Chargers, thank you, and we’re seeing what a tiger he really is.

Looking at times like Jack Nicholson in "The Shining" – hair disheveled, eyes wide glassy and hinting of mayhem – a triumphant Turner addressed players after the recent win over Kansas City.

We know this because the team posted video on its Web site.

There was a lot of guff about Turner losing his job, had the crummy Chiefs won. If Dean Spanos wished, maybe there would’ve been less guff, but at any rate, the Bucs and their tough-guy coach are on notice going into Sunday’s fray in Tampa. Turner can breathe fire.

There was, alas, a pebble-in-the-shoe moment, Norv telling the players: “I’m not going to get ahead of myself because that’s what we’ve done.”

The Chargers, who surrendered double-digit leads in Weeks 5 and 6, put away the Chiefs with 21 points in the fourth quarter, so maybe they’ve licked the get-ahead-of-themselves problem.

For now, it’s the slow starts. The Chargers were up on the Chiefs only 10-6 after three quarters.

Worse, last time they played in the eastern times zone, two games ago at Cleveland, several of their older players looked sleepy in the first quarter. Early miscues loomed large in the 7-6 defeat.

If they’re not too busy stocking the receivers with sticky towels, the Chargers’ equipment team could visit a Starbucks in Tampa on Sunday morning and fetch caffeinated brew.

“We will, we will – thank you,” said defensive coordinator John Pagano, laughing. “I love coffee. I have four cups a day.”

Takeo Spikes was grumpy about the notion that eastern games provide extra challenge. “Nothing against you for asking,” he said, “but that shouldn’t ever be an issue.”

Fellow linebacker Donald Butler nodded as Spikes spoke. “Non factor,” he said. “No excuses. It’s a game. Wake your butt up.”

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000089482/article/ladainian-tomlinson-not-buying-norv-turner-aj-smith

One win hasn't changed LaDainian Tomlinson's mind. The retired running back still believes San Diego Chargers coach Norv Turner and general manager A.J. Smith will be fired if the team doesn't make the playoffs.

Tomlinson said the day before the Chargers' Thursday night home game against the Kansas City Chiefs that Turner and Smith were in trouble. The Chargers routed the Chiefs 31-13, and Turner afterward denied his job status was in doubt, but Tomlinson disagrees.

Donate to the Red Cross

Join the NFL in aiding those affected by Hurricane Sandy.

More ...

"I think they're going to get fired," Tomlinson, now an NFL Network analyst, said Sunday on "First on the Field." "Remember this: Marty Schottenheimer got fired after a 14-2 year simply because him and A.J. didn't get along. Now, A.J. and Marty didn't get along because he wasn't his guy. The late John Butler brought Marty in ... Norv Turner is the guy A.J. wanted.

"Now, three straight years of not making the playoffs is enough. Last year, they almost didn't make it to this season, but Dean Spanos, the president of the Chargers, gave them one more chance to right the ship. And if they don't make it this year, it's the end of (their) tenure.

When Tomlinson talks about the Chargers, who are underacheiving at 4-4, I tend to listen. He played nine seasons in San Diego and knows the inner workings of the organization.

It's not a stretch to predict major changes. Turner's teams consistently underperform. And Smith has allowed talent to depart, leaving quarterback Phillip Rivers short on playmakers.

Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland.

If Ryan Mathews is out, what's your projection for Jackie Battle against the Broncos?

Season basically over.

Positives

1.Defensive line looking a little better every week. Very young D-line should be promising.

2. D Alexander (when not hurt) is a beast!

3. Norv and AJ should be gone next year

Negatives

1. Wow...that O line is the worst I have seen (and I have watched the Chargers since 1976). I used to have anxiety in end of games about whether the Bolts could make a play or two to win it. In this game, every play I was anticipating Rivers getting crushed or fumbling.

2. We need a shutdown corner...or even a corner that won't bite every pump fake. Also Jammer's CB days are done.

3. R Matthews is soft...he goes down WAY to easy with seemingly small hits

4. I am sorry..something is just wrong with Rivers..I know he has no time back there, but even when he does, he under throws everything. After they take O line, CB in draft then they need to look at a young 2nd/3rd round QB prospect

I've read elsewhere that he's so afraid of being benched for fumbling that he's not playing as aggressive as he usually does.

Season basically over.

Positives

1.Defensive line looking a little better every week. Very young D-line should be promising.

2. D Alexander (when not hurt) is a beast!

3. Norv and AJ should be gone next year

Negatives

1. Wow...that O line is the worst I have seen (and I have watched the Chargers since 1976). I used to have anxiety in end of games about whether the Bolts could make a play or two to win it. In this game, every play I was anticipating Rivers getting crushed or fumbling.

2. We need a shutdown corner...or even a corner that won't bite every pump fake. Also Jammer's CB days are done.

4. I am sorry..something is just wrong with Rivers..I know he has no time back there, but even when he does, he under throws everything. After they take O line, CB in draft then they need to look at a young 2nd/3rd round QB prospect
:goodposting: The offensive line is the biggest problem. It's horrible.

After that CB is the next thing they need to address, but it'll take so much work and so many resources to address the offensive line I'm not sure how they improve CB other than trying free agents.

The offensive line is what's wrong with Rivers, along with Norv's vertical passing game with no adjustments to how bad the line is. There's no viable run game because the line can't block, no time to throw and most of the time the pocket is so bad Rivers can't step into his throws. Until I can see him in a clean pocket, I can't say he's not the same guy he's always been. But, as I've mentioned before, the rest of the offense is a tear down, so it might make sense to see what you can get for Rivers on the market to help you rebuild. I know that probably won't happen, but that's what I'd do if I took over for Smith.

Smith must be fired, and Norv with him.

People have often said that Norv is a good offensive coordinator, but a poor head coach.

That may have been true in the past, but I think it's now incorrect.

He's no longer a good offensive coordinator.

People have often said that Norv is a good offensive coordinator, but a poor head coach.

That may have been true in the past, but I think it's now incorrect.

He's no longer a good offensive coordinator.
:yes: His inability to make adjustments to his playcalling based on the strengths/weaknesses of his personnel is annoying.

I have to stop my self from getting interested again...before the Ravens game, I heard that the Chargers controlled their own destiny with a win for the wild card (since they play Steelers, Bengals). Then the get close to winning...and that trainwreck happens again...why do I get sucked in!

Honestly though..the Rice spot was ridiculous (even more than the horrible missed tackles, or the egregious block in the back on Weddle) on that play.

Why though has Norv not been fired yet?

Finally...it really is the O line that makes Rivers look bad....I mean that O line play was almost as ugly as the Broncos game.

First two picks have to be O line....

now that they are officially out of the playoffs it is time to fire norv and aj...

lets get started on next year...

Ugh. This franchise just repeatedly finds a way to lose the unloseable. It's gotten so bad that I expect it now. Seriously, 4th and 29 and a checkdown works? I said while watching the game yesterday that if you saw that in a football movie, you'd say that would never happen in real life.

I don't even know where to go from here. There have been so many bad signings and Gates and Rivers aren't getting any younger. Norv and AJ need to go, but it just kills me that this team has squandered these past few years. It almost makes me nostalgic for the Henning years. (Okay maybe that's going too far.)

I actually caught myself thinking "If we win out, 9-7 probably is good for the last wildcard..."

Yes, I need help.

'DanFouts said:
...Why though has Norv not been fired yet?...
I think there is some psychological or management concept at work here:The man or men that decided to can Schotty have to constantly hope or dream that it will be justified when the man they chose to replace him with magically transforms into a winning football-coacher.Anything else is unacceptable. So... who tells the Big Guy he was absolutely 100% an idiot?

'DanFouts said:
I think there is some psychological or management concept at work here:The man or men that decided to can Schotty have to constantly hope or dream that it will be justified when the man they chose to replace him with magically transforms into a winning football-coacher.Anything else is unacceptable. So... who tells the Big Guy he was absolutely 100% an idiot?
The fans tell the owner he's an idiot. And the media reports what the fans are saying. And the owner reads what the fans say. And then the owner moves the franchise to Los Angeles. In addition to firing Norv Turner, his coaching staff, and GM A.J. Smith.Blow the stupid parts up and build from there.

'DanFouts said:

I think there is some psychological or management concept at work here:The man or men that decided to can Schotty have to constantly hope or dream that it will be justified when the man they chose to replace him with magically transforms into a winning football-coacher.

Anything else is unacceptable. So... who tells the Big Guy he was absolutely 100% an idiot?
The fans tell the owner he's an idiot. And the media reports what the fans are saying. And the owner reads what the fans say. And then the owner moves the franchise to Los Angeles. In addition to firing Norv Turner, his coaching staff, and GM A.J. Smith.Blow the stupid parts up and build from there.
I'm getting the feeling they are going to be in LA next year.

'DanFouts said:

I think there is some psychological or management concept at work here:The man or men that decided to can Schotty have to constantly hope or dream that it will be justified when the man they chose to replace him with magically transforms into a winning football-coacher.

Anything else is unacceptable. So... who tells the Big Guy he was absolutely 100% an idiot?
I'm getting the feeling they are going to be in LA next year.
ya know this used to bug me, but I havent lived in SD in forever,and if they move up the road to LA and keep the logo, team name and colors it wont be quiet the killer for me.If I lived in SD id be pretty bummed though

'DanFouts said:
One problem is, the guy Dean Spanos listens to most closely is Jimmy Johnson. Dean and JJ are close friends and I'm sure Norv was hired on JJ's recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread