What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2013 NFL OTAs & Minicamp Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

According to DallasCowboys.com, RB Phillip Tanner has "physically remade his body."

Per reporter Bryan Broaddus, Tanner "looks lighter and quicker with the ball in his hands," and has made major strides as a pass catcher. Broaddus was initially skeptical that Tanner would make the team after being phased out down the stretch last season, but now considers him a viable candidate for No. 3 duties behind DeMarco Murray and Joseph Randle. Tanner is competing with Lance Dunbar.

Source: dallascowboys.com

>>

DeMarco Murray is expected to return to Cowboys OTAs on Wednesday.

Murray hasn't practiced with the team yet due to a "minor" hamstring tweak, but will do "some stuff" with the team on Wednesday. Minor injuries don't usually warrant much attention at this time of year, but it's concerning for a player with Murray's history to be sidelined before stepping onto the practice field. He vows to play all 16 games this year. We'll believe it when we see it.

Source: DallasCowboys.com

lockquote>ockquote> I didn't realize Randle was penciled in as the #2 RB. I have little faith in Murray, interesting that Tanner will now factor in to all of this. I linked this thread in my spare parts RB thread, ty for clearing the air quickly Faust. I assume we can take your posts and ask questions/make comments.
Absolutely!

I will admit that what I am always looking for in all of my threads is to stimulate debate and discussion on players ranging from starters to the deep bench guys, as I find that component to be the best part of the Shark Pool.

I own Murray in one of my leagues, and his injury history has me following the handcuff situation in Dallas very closely.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207523/article/greg-schianos-tampa-bay-bucs-hitting-during-otas

Greg Schiano's Tampa Bay Bucs hitting during OTAs?

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

Contact is forbidden during offseason team activities, but one reporter covering the Tampa Bay Buccaneers claims action on the field earlier this month crossed the line.

"It's football practice, without pads," Roy Cummings of The Tampa Tribune told WHFS-FM on May 20, via ProFootballTalk.com. "I'll tell you what, Greg Schiano is right on the border of getting investigated and possibly -- I don't know if they would fine him, I don't know what the penalty is -- but these guys are out there, they're hitting. ... There (are) no pads on, but I'm telling you, the linemen, these guys are hitting.

"People are going down on the ground. And it's interesting. I mean, most of this was second- and third-team guys; it wasn't the front-line guys. So there's a little bit of what Jon Gruden used to call 'practice etiquette' that I think has to be learned here, but they're going at it pretty good."

The Buccaneers' OTAs got off to a physical start last week when a confrontation between defensive tackle Akeem Spence and center Jeremy Zuttah descended into what Cummings described as a "melee" that involved "22 guys" on the field and "went on for a while."

Said Cummings: "I can't imagine it's being ordered, I think it's just guys being a little bit overzealous, they're trying to earn a spot. And that's part of what this part of the season is about."

Not if it involves contact. The NFL punished the Seattle Seahawks last June for violating the collective bargaining agreement's offseason workout rules for incorporating live contact during OTAs. The league stripped coach Pete Carroll of two practices and a planned workout.

If Schiano and friends crossed the line, the league will look into it. Contact at this time of year is not something the NFL has been wishy-washy about. The rules are crystal clear.

UPDATE: League spokesman Greg Aiello told NFL.com on Wednesday: "We have no comment on this particular report. There is a system in place with the NFLPA to monitor the rules for offseason work. It includes spot checking video, in-person spot checks by representatives of our office or the union, reviewing media reports and responding to requests from the NFLPA for a review of a potential violation."

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

Thanks for this info everyone. Always find these little tid bits interesting. Doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of the fantasy season yet but still interesting to read.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77633/miami-dolphins-otas-defense-dominates

Miami Dolphins OTAs: Defense dominates

By James Walker | ESPN.com

DAVIE, Fla. -- The new-look Miami Dolphins held another practice this week that was open to the media. The AFC East blog was live in attendance to catch all of the action.

Here are some notes and observations from Wednesday's practice:

• It was a dominant day for the defense. Miami’s defense came out on top across the board on the first- and second-team during drills. The biggest play of the day came during 11-on-11 practice when outside linebacker Koa Misi recorded a pick-six off starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Just a couple plays earlier, Miami linebacker Philip Wheeler nearly picked off Tannehill. Backup quarterback Matt Moore also threw an interception to safety Kelcie McCray in the two-minute drill. "It looked like the defense had the upper hand. ... I saw Ryan before I came down as I stepped off the elevator and he said, ‘Well, it wasn’t one of our better days,'" coach Joe Philbin said.
  • Last week it was receiver Armon Binns. This week, the star receiver was Rishard Matthews. The 2012 seventh-round draft pick had three touchdowns in team drills, including two nice catches in the red zone. Matthews is trying to make a crowded roster at wide receiver. He caught just 11 passes for 151 yards last season but made a good impression on Wednesday.
  • Dolphins cornerback Brent Grimes said his Achilles feels fine and he doesn’t have any mental hurdles with his return. Grimes’ season ended early last year due to injury, and he’s returning to the field for the first time during OTAs. Miami is counting on Grimes to stay healthy and be the team’s No. 1 corner. “I’m doing well and building strength every day,” Grimes said. “I’m getting stronger and I got plenty of time before the start of the season.”
  • The notable absences from practice Wednesday were defensive tackle Randy Starks (contract) and No. 1 receiver Mike Wallace (undisclosed). Starks is upset over the franchise tag, and Philbin did not explain why Wallace wasn’t present when asked.
  • Projected starting running back Lamar Miller believes he’s ready to handle the load. Miller shined last year with just 51 carries and led the Dolphins with 4.9 yards per carry. But injuries and durability have been concerns for Miller dating back to college. Being Miami’s starting running back could require 200 carries or more. “I think I can be that [type of player],” Miller said. “It’s all about being in better condition and just staying healthy and treating your body well."
  • Former Dolphins and New York Jets quarterback Chad Pennington was in attendance. Pennington played three seasons in Miami and was the last quarterback to lead the Dolphins to the playoffs (2008). Philbin said it was good to have another voice stop by and work with the quarterback group.
  • Receiver Brandon Gibson remains a work in progress playing in the slot. He mostly played outside at receiver with the St. Louis Rams, but the Dolphins need him inside following the departure of Davone Bess. Gibson is projected to be the No. 3 receiver with Wallace and Brian Hartline on the outside. “He’s a good player,” Tannehill said of Gibson. “I think he’s still learning, still adjusting to all the nuances of the offense. It’s one thing to sit in a meeting room and learn it on paper. But all the adjustments and hot throws and stuff that you pick up over time we’re still getting adjusted to.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77630/checking-in-on-the-buccaneers

Checking in on the Buccaneers

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

TAMPA, Fla. -- Some quick takeaways from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ OTA (organized team activities) on Wednesday:

• Safety Cody Grimm said he was sorry about his recent arrest for public intoxication in Virginia. Grimm said he has talked with coach Greg Schiano about the incident and promised it would not happen again. Grimm clearly is fighting for a roster spot and the off-field stuff isn’t going to help him. But Grimm appeared to have a productive session Wednesday, coming up with an interception on a tipped ball and breaking up at least one other pass.
  • Schiano said he’s very happy with the condition left tackle Donald Penn is in this spring. Schiano said when he arrived last year, Penn’s weight was an issue. But Schiano, Penn and the training staff discussed ways to deal with it and Penn’s weight hasn’t been an issue since

• Schiano said cornerback Darrelle Revis continues to progress well in his recovery from knee surgery. But the coach stopped short of saying whether or not Revis is expected to be ready for the first day of training camp. Schiano emphasized the goal is to have Revis ready for the start of the season, but said training camp is part of the process. Revis was working with trainers Wednesday, but spent part of the session on the sideline watching his teammates.
  • It doesn’t look like the Bucs plan to bring rookie cornerback Johnthan Banks along slowly. He was getting plenty of first-team work and seemed to hold his own in several matchups with starting receiver Mike Williams. I don’t know if Banks will start ahead of Eric Wright, but it’s pretty obvious the Bucs expect the rookie to be one of their top three cornerbacks.
  • One of the better competitions in training camp should be for the job as the third receiver. It looks like free-agent pickup Kevin Ogletree and Tiquan Underwood are the primary candidates. Underwood appeared to have a solid practice Wednesday. He caught a long touchdown pass from Josh Freeman and also had a nice diving catch on a medium-range pass.
  • Luke Stocker appeared to get most of the first-team work at tight end Wednesday. But I think the Bucs are hoping free-agent pickup Tom Crabtree can blossom. Crabtree didn’t get a lot of opportunities in his Green Bay days, but he appears to have some skills as a pass catcher.
  • Schiano said he’s confident his team is following league rules that prohibit contact in OTAs as closely as possible. But he did acknowledge there was one incident last week when a couple of linemen got into a tussle in the heat of the moment.

Rotoworld:

The Vikings are working to find creative ways to use converted WR Joe Webb.
Coach Leslie Frazier spoke about using Webb in multiple looks, saying "we do have ideas about some things we want to do with him beyond just lining him up at the X or the Z position." However, Frazier concedes that Webb has a long way to go in terms of running routes, a skill not easily mastered. We expect Webb to have a difficult time developing into a serviceable weapon for the team.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
Speaking about Mikel Leshoure's hamstring injury Wednesday, Lions coach Jim Schwartz said it's taking "maybe a little bit longer than we would've thought."
Leshoure has thus far been sidelined at OTAs. "It's something that's been nagging him," Schwartz said. "We'll get him back there soon. He's working hard, he's just not working on the field." Leshoure missed time in last year's camp with a hamstring injury, and experienced calf, groin and ankle issues during the regular season. Leshoure could tumble farther down the depth chart if he can't shake his habit of leg injuries.

Source: detroitlions.com
Adrian Peterson (hernia surgery) says he's "pretty much 100 percent," and that he's lifting "more" than he was before his operation.
In other words, he's getting stronger than ever. AD has been a full participant in Vikings OTAs, and won't have any health issues holding him back as he guns for 2,500 yards rushing this season.

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities
Vikings first-round WR Cordarrelle Patterson will be used on kick returns, but is not yet being tried on punts.
Coach Leslie Frazier named five other players who will be given a look on punts. However, there's no denying Patterson's playmaking ability in the open field, and we anticipate the Vikings giving Patterson a chance sooner than later.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Vikings WR Greg Jennings missed Wednesday's practice with an ankle injury.
Jennings apparently suffered the injury early Wednesday morning and was unable to go in the afternoon. Coach Leslie Frazier said "His ankle's a little bit sore," but added "he'll be fine. Nothing serious." Jennings is another a veteran player who won't be rushed back for OTAs. Keeping him healthy is a priority.

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities
Colts WR Darrius Heyward-Bey is being held out of OTAs with a sore hamstring.
DHB is one of many Colts players sitting out OTAs with a minor injury. Coach Chuck Pagano emphasized that none of the injuries are serious, but like most teams they'll "err on the side of caution" at this time of year. It's been speculated that Heyward-Bey will be involved in two- and three-receiver sets this season.

Source: Nike Chappell on Twitter
Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez are skipping this week's OTAs.
Gonzalez might end up skipping the Falcons' entire offseason program. White's absence is a mild surprise, but in no way a concern. The durable, prolific wideout is likely training on his own.

Related: Tony Gonzalez

Source: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter
Bills TE Lee Smith (foot) is not participating in OTAs.
Smith is in a walking boot following a weightlifting mishap. The blocker is expected to be ready to compete for a job at training camp.

Source: Tim Graham on Twitter
Coach Mike Munchak said KR/WR Marc Mariani (leg) has been "amazing" through spring workouts.
Mariani sustained a compound fracture in his left leg during the preseason last year. He's not 100 percent yet, but appears to be getting close. Mariani holds a career average of 24.8 yards per kickoff return and 11.2 yards per punt return. Darius Reynaud averaged 23.4 yards on kickoff returns and 13.2 yards on punt returns last season, and has since been re-signed to a one-year contract.

Related: Darius Reynaud

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Rotoworld:

Coach Chuck Pagano said he expects Coby Fleener's reception total to double this season.
Serving mostly as an in-line tight end for Bruce Arians, Fleener was asked to block far too often as a rookie. It resulted in a disappointing 26/281/2 line in 12 games. Now Arians is in Arizona and Fleener is reunited with former Stanford offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton. Over his final two years of college, Fleener totaled 62 catches, 1,107 yards and 17 touchdowns while acting in his natural role as a pure pass catcher. He's on the TE2 radar as a sneaky upside pick.

Source: Anderson Herald Bulletin

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207877/article/ej-manuel-third-in-line-for-snaps-at-buffalo-bills-otas

EJ Manuel third in line for snaps at Buffalo Bills OTAs

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

For now, the Buffalo Bills' starting quarterback competition appears to be a two-man race. Tarvaris Jackson and Kevin Kolb evenly split time as the first quarterback through their rotation at Thursday's organized team activity, the team's eighth of the offseason, according to Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com.

Rookie EJ Manuel figures to be a bigger factor in training camp, but this offseason is about learning for him. The Bills' coaching staff has been working on Manuel's footwork and fundamentals. Meanwhile, Kolb and Jackson each are competing to provide the best veteran option to hold down the fort until Manuel is ready.

"I approach the competition like I'm competing against the playbook, I'm competing against that defense, I'm not competing against the other guys in the red jersey," Kolb told the Bills' official website.

There is an assumption that Manuel will play sooner than later because he was the No. 16 pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, but he's also a quarterback who will need refinement at the pro level -- something even his biggest supporters admit. We expect either Kolb or Jackson to be the Bills' starter in Week 1, with the winner prevailing in training camp.

We also expect Manuel to be starting by late in the 2013 season -- barring a surprise winning record under new coach Doug Marrone.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207978/article/steven-jackson-will-be-featured-in-falcons-air-attack

Steven Jackson will be featured in Falcons' air attack

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

Our esteemed Around The League colleague Dan Hanzus heard it from readers after he ranked 26 NFL running backs ahead of veteran Steven Jackson.

The Atlanta Falcons are more optimistic.

On the heels of signing Jackson to a three-year, $12 million contract in March, coach Mike Smith on Wednesday talked about the 29-year-old as a potential pass-catching threat out of the backfield.

"He's a big, strong running back that catches the ball extremely well," Smith said, per The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "He creates issues for defenses. He's just another weapon that we have in our offensive arsenal. He's a guy who had close to 100 catches in a season, so he's a guy that we can use in the passing game. He's not just a running back, he's a receiving back as well."

The Falcons never had that option with Michael Turner, who caught a measly 59 passes during his five seasons in Atlanta. Jackson has averaged 45 catches per year dating back to 2004.

The caution here is Jacquizz Rodgers, the Falcons' versatile runner who figures to see plenty of action on passing downs. Still, offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter has talked repeatedly about using more screen passes to chip away at defenses, and that bodes well for Jackson in this high-octane attack.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

Rotoworld:

WR Steve Smith feels "great" physically and plans to play at least three more seasons.
At age 33, Smith hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. Over the past two years, only Calvin Johnson has more receptions of 20+ yards. He called the battle for the spot opposite him "real, legitimate competition." Adding it's the best group of receivers he's been around since being on the team. Smith's goal is to play "15 or 16 seasons," after drawing inspiration from recently-retired Ronde Barber.

Source: Associated Press
Jordy Nelson was on pace for 91 catches, 1,216 yards and 11 touchdowns through the first seven weeks of last season.
Nelson's final 2012 line of 49/745/7 is deceiving. He pulled his hamstring in a practice ahead of Week 8 and sprained his ankle in Week 9. The injuries kept him out of four games and sapped his explosiveness in the others. Now that Greg Jennings is gone and Nelson is healthy, we can safely project a bounce-back campaign. He's a WR2 with upside in fantasy circles.

Source: Adam Levitan on Twitter
Coach Mike Shanahan says WR Aldrick Robinson has had "one heck of a camp."
Robinson, a 2011 sixth-round pick out of SMU, came out of nowhere to catch four passes for 52 yards and a touchdown in Week 1 last season, but he ended up catching just seven more passes all season. A legit deep threat, as evidenced by 49- and 68-yard touchdowns last season, Robinson will compete with Leonard Hankerson and the washed up Santana Moss for No. 3 duties this season.

Source: Chris Russell on Twitter
Broncos TE Joel Dreessen underwent arthroscopic surgery to "clean up" his knee.
Coach John Fox termed it "just a little knee procedure, scope, done, just to clean it up." He added this would be a good opportunity for backup tight end Julius Thomas, who missed most of his first two seasons with injuries, to get quality reps. Dreessen is expected to return for training camp.

Source: Denver Post
Chiefs WR/RB Dexter McCluster returned to practice on Thursday.
McCluster had been sitting out with a hamstring injury, which caused him to miss all of last week. His return to OTAs means he's likely 100 percent, as teams never rush players back this time of year.

Source: Adam Teicher on Twitter
The Washington Examiner reports Robert Griffin progressed to running on his surgically-repaired knee.
RG3 was reportedly sprinting the length of the field, while his teammates performed special teams drills. Griffin said "I was kind of explosive sprinting there," but added it won't be until sometime next month when he begins to do "explosive sprinting and cutting." His recovery remains ahead of schedule.

Source: Washington Examiner
Jets QB Greg McElroy has fallen to No. 4 on the depth chart and is battling for a roster spot.
McElroy has been working with fourth-team in OTAs and has fallen behind Matt Simms, who has been taking all the third-team reps for the second consecutive week. While we caution not to look too much into snap counts during OTAs, it's not a good sign for McElroy's future with the team.

Source: NFL.com

More from Rotoworld:

Hakeem Nicks has still not shown up for Giants OTAs.
No one knows the exact reason for Nicks' absence. Coach Tom Coughlin said he is "certainly" disappointed, meaning the reason is not one the team approves of. The only logical explanation is that Nicks is trying to angle for a new contract. He's entering the final year of his rookie deal, but has little leverage after last season's injury-ravaged 53/692/2 line.

Source: Bart Hubbuch on Twitter
Willis McGahee has still not shown up for the Broncos OTAs.
Although the sessions are technically voluntary, McGahee is the only Bronco with an unexcused absence. It's not a good look for a 32-year-old back that is coming off a broken leg and is owed $2.5 million in base salary. Perhaps McGahee sees the writing on the wall after the Broncos drafted Montee Ball in the second round.

Related: Montee Ball

Source: Lindsay Jones
The injury keeping Trent Richardson out of OTAs is a strained muscle in his right shin.
Richardson may not even participate in the mandatory minicamp that will take place June 4-6. Still, he says he could be practicing and the team is just holding him out as a precaution because they want him to be a "bell cow" when the season starts. We wouldn't downgrade the second-year man on any draft boards.

Source: Associated Press
Chiefs third-round RB Knile Davis says his fumble issues are "under control."
While playing for Arkansas last season, Davis had seven fumbles on 112 carries. Chiefs coaches are teaching him to hold the ball high and tight. "It's fixed," said Davis. "I think I'll never fumble again. ... It's not really that big of a deal. I had two bad games last year where I fumbled a lot. It was just me not focusing on it."

Source: Kansas City Star
Stephen Hill (knee) resumed practicing Thursday.
Hill will likely end up just doing positional drills, but he was spotted running at full speed. It's a good sign after he missed last week's sessions due to swelling in his surgically-repaired knee. The talent-starved Jets desperately need Hill to take a step forward this season.

Source: Brian Costello on Twitter

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000208006/article/rg3-studying-more-washington-redskins-film-in-rehab

RG3 studying more Washington Redskins film in rehab

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Robert Griffin III remains on an accelerated schedule in his return from surgery to repair his anterior cruciate ligament.

The Washington Redskins quarterback told reporters Thursday that he's been doing more light sprinting, has been cleared for cross-field drills and ran two miles earlier in the week. His next step is to graduate to "explosive sprinting," but he realizes he has to be "patiently aggressive."

Griffin's most interesting revelation Thursday was that the injury has allowed him to do more film study, both on his own and with coaches. With his knee currently slowing him down, Griffin already sees progress in going through his reads and progressions rather than opting to take off and run when pressured.

Griffin previously has insisted that he's definitely on a timeline for a Week 1 return. To this point, we've seen nothing that would lead us to believe that will not be the case. As Dr. James Andrews put it earlier this offseason, Griffin and Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson simply are exceptional natural athletes and genetic freaks.

Other nuggets from the Redskins on Thursday:

» Coach Mike Shanahan had high praise for wide receiver Aldrick Robinson, who is making strides and enjoying a "heck of a" minicamp. Robinson has been a one-trick pony as a deep threat to this point in his career.

» Shanahan noted that wide receiver Leonard Hankerson has been fully healthy this offseason for the first time in his three-year career. The Redskins have noticed more growth and expect Hankerson to develop this year.

» Defensive end Jarvis Jenkins started slowly last season after undergoing ACL surgery. He's made "tremendous strides" and Shanahan notices a "big difference" this year.

» Veteran defensive lineman Adam Carriker remains without a timetable for a return to practice after undergoing surgery to repair a torn quadriceps tendon last September.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

Rotoworld:

Coach Gary Kubiak said Ben Tate has had a "really good" offseason.
Tate was a major disappointment last season, struggling with injuries and finishing with a 65/279/2 line. Now he's healthy, in a contract year and getting an opportunity to run with the starters thanks to Arian Foster's calf pull. "[Tate's] been here every day, and it's an opportunity for him in these next six practices to be the bell cow, so to speak, and that'll be good for him in the long run," Kubiak said. Even though Foster's calf should be fine by training camp, the Texans would be wise to reduce his workload. He has a league-leading 1,115 touches over the last three years.
R
elated: Arian Foster

Source: Houston Chronicle
The Broncos receivers say Peyton Manning has more zip on his passes this season.
Manning's arm was noticeably weaker last season as his neck continued to regenerate nerves. He still ranked sixth in yards (4,659), third in touchdowns (37) and second in passer rating (105.8). Now Manning is another year removed from his neck surgeries and has gained Wes Welker, putting him in our top-5 fantasy quarterbacks.

Source: denverbroncos.com
DeMarco Murray (hamstring) participated in individual drills Wednesday.
This confirms that the hamstring strain that sidelined Murray for about a week was of the Grade 1 variety. He'll likely be back in full team drills shortly. Murray brushed off any notion that he'll scale back his style of play due to durability concerns. "I'd rather play five or six games the way I play -- hard, fast and physical -- than 16 games soft and tip-toeing and not contributing the way I'm used to contributing."

Source: dallascowboys.com

Rotoworld:

Giants WR Rueben Randle has shown major improvement through OTAs.
Coach Tom Coughlin referred to Randle as a guy who "has a chance to step his game up" and says "it’s happening right now." Randle is seeing the majority of the starter's reps with both Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz out with contract disputes. The receiver credits the extra work this offseason with helping him understand the offense more. He's expected to fully take over No. 3 duties this season.

Source: ESPN New York
Coach Leslie Frazier says "the plan" is to ease first-round WR Cordarrelle Patterson in behind Greg Jennings and Jerome Simpson as a rookie.
This isn't the first time we've heard this, and it isn't surprising. "We don’t want to give him too much early," Frazier said. "We want to make sure we do enough to get him on the field and really go to his strengths. There are some things that we have in mind. But everything that I’ve seen, we’ll be able to utilize his talents." If Simpson flops again and Patterson shines when given the opportunity, then it will be hard to keep the rookie off the field.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000208234/article/montee-ball-learning-from-peyton-manning-on-broncos

Montee Ball learning from Peyton Manning on Broncos

By Kevin Patra NFL.com

Montee Ball's immersion into the NFL is getting a heavy dose of Peyton Manning.

The rookie running back has spent most of his time at organized team activities working with the four-time NFL MVP on learning plays and schemes. Even at the Denver Broncos' golf outing earlier this week, the second-round pick was in Manning's foursome, which doesn't sound like too much fun.

"I can tell you Ball (and rookie tackle Vinston Painter) have been studying their playbooks and not playing much golf, which is a good thing," Manning joked Thursday, according to USA Today Sports.

It isn't a joke that the Broncos will be counting on Ball big time this season, and Manning doesn't plan on leaning on a rookie who isn't up to speed.

"We're just kind of going through plays, going through games, getting him comfortable hearing audibles at the line of scrimmage," Manning said. "Because we are going to count on him in a big way this year. He's a rookie, but coach (John) Fox isn't going to bring him along slowly."

Ball and second-year man Ronnie Hillman are getting most of the reps during OTAs as injured veterans Willis McGahee -- who has been rumored to be on the roster bubble -- and Knowshon Moreno sit out.

Ball, with Manning's help, will get every chance to win carries and make the aging veterans on the roster expendable.

Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.

Rotoworld:

Bills coach Doug Marrone gave rookie WR Da'Rick Rogers an earful at OTA practice after the UDFA stood over CB Ron Brooks following a 15-yard touchdown catch.
Rogers beat Brooks on a hitch pattern from E.J. Manuel. "He kind of stood there over a player, and that’s a 15-yard penalty," said Marrone. "That's not what being a pro is, and that's not playing like a Buffalo Bill. I told him, 'Is this going to be something we're going to have to be concerned about with handling any type of success from you?'" Rogers is on a zero-tolerance policy after falling out of the draft due to character concerns.

Source: Buffalo News
The Bills have moved Dorin Dickerson back to tight end.
It's a smart move by Dickerson -- who personally requested the change -- because the Bills are weak at tight end. He was initially slated to practice at wide receiver under the new coaching staff. Dickerson also plays H-back.

Source: WGR 550 Buffalo
The Eagles are running their offense at OTAs "almost exclusively" out of the shotgun.
It's notable because the Panthers' struggled mightily when running a full-time shotgun offense last season. The Redskins, on the other hand, did a ton of shotgun and Pistol and were just fine because they maintained a base-running offense with Alfred Morris. We still don't anticipate having a firm grasp on the design of Chip Kelly's offense until about the third preseason game.

Source: Allentown Morning Call
Eagles RB Bryce Brown is focused on correcting his fumbling issues this offseason.
Brown exploded onto the scene last year after LeSean McCoy went down with an injury, but fumbled the ball four times over his four starts. Running backs coach Duce Staley has Brown going through practice with an eight pound weighted-ball to correct the problem. Brown has also been studying film, noting the ball "kind of got extended" during his cuts, and is focusing on cleaning up his technique. He'll have a solid role as Philly's No. 2 back.

Source: CSN Philly
Coach Gary Kubiak promises the Texans will continue to run a high percentage of their passing offense through Andre Johnson.
In 2012, Houston was one of just four NFL teams to target one receiver more than the rest combined (58.1 percent). Asked about the 58.1 percent target rate, Kubiak replied "Tell them a big percentage is going to go through him again. It's going to happen again." Johnson will continue to be the No. 1 read on the heavy majority of Matt Schaub's dropbacks, which is great for fantasy value.

Lions WR Ryan Broyles is stronger coming off injury than he was last year.
Broyles, who suffered a torn right ACL last December, is participating in individual drills at OTAs. The receiver believes he rushed his recovery last season, but says "This time I have a little bit more rest, heal up my patella. I feel a lot stronger at this point this year than I did last year." The coaching staff has identified him as a breakout candidate.

Source: MLive.com
Lions WR Patrick Edwards has consistently flashed throughout OTAs.
Teammate Nate Burleson was willing to "guarantee he will be a big-time playmaker for us this year." Edwards spent all of his rookie season on the practice squad, but would have been promoted to the active roster if not for a torn quad. He's generating buzz for the second consecutive summer, and is a player to keep an eye on.

Source: Dave Birkett on Twitter
Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt believes Philip Rivers could still be a Pro Bowl quarterback.
"I think he can play at that level again," Whiz insisted. "That's certainly something I see from him, and hopefully we'll be able to achieve that this year." A veritable piñata behind the Chargers' makeshift offensive line, Rivers has taken 79 sacks and committed 47 turnovers over his past 32 games. He was extremely reckless in 2012. With Norv Turner's aggressive downfield attack a thing of the past, Rivers' turnovers should go down while his completion goes up this season, but it's far from a guarantee he ever rediscovers his Pro Bowl form.

Bills coach Doug Marrone calls first-rounder E.J. Manuel the most impressive rookie quarterback he's ever seen.
Marrone spent seven years as an NFL assistant, so it's high praise. Of course, we wouldn't expect Marrone to be unimpressed with a player he's staked his job on. Manuel has been running as the No. 3 quarterback in Bills OTAs, but should get every opportunity to earn the starting job in camp.

Source: Bills on Twitter

Rotoworld continued:

Kirk Cousins has been taking snaps out of the Pistol formation in Redskins OTAs.
Cousins' athleticism is not a strong suit, but he's not a statue. It's an indication the Redskins aren't planning to totally scrap their innovative offense if Robert Griffin III (knee surgery) isn't ready for Week 1. That being said, coach Mike Shanahan will be forced to operate out of a far more traditional base if Cousins is pressed into action.

Source: Washington Post
Robert Griffin (ACL, LCL surgery) expects to be a more patient passer this season.
"Being slowed down by the knee kind of slowed the game down for me because I had to slow down and it made me have to get through a lot of my reads," Griffin said. "That is what I am looking forward to doing this upcoming season is getting through every single option that I need to get through and while at the same time still being able to use my legs as a weapon." There's no doubt the Redskins are going to dial back RGIII's designed runs, so improvement in the pocket will be a must. It's not as if RGIII is going to be an entirely different player, however.

Source: CSN Washington
Peyton Manning expects the Broncos to count on second-round RB Montee Ball "in a big way."
"He's a rookie, but coach (John) Fox isn't going to bring him along slowly," Manning assured. This has been our belief since the Broncos selected Ball at No. 58, and is why Willis McGahee's roster spot is in grave danger. Ball should be drafted as a high-ceiling RB2, and it wouldn't be surprising if he challenged for RB1 status in the Broncos' lethal offense.

Related: Peyton Manning

Source: USA Today
First-round TE Tyler Eifert has made a "big impression" in Bengals OTAs.
"From Day 1 nothing has seemed too big for him," Andy Dalton said of his rookie tight end. "It’s like ‘you want to go do this, OK I’ll go do this.’ He does it really well. That’s why we picked him with the first pick, and he’s really well-deserving." Eifert has been lining up "all over the field," including in two-tight end sets with Jermaine Gresham. The presence of Gresham makes Eifert unlikely to achieve TE1 status as a rookie, but he's an excellent Dynasty-league prospect.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
Redskins third-round TE Jordan Reed (leg) has yet to practice at OTAs, and doesn't expect to be cleared for June's minicamp.
Reed expects to be cleared in three weeks, which would have him just missing minicamp, but ready for training camp. "It’s going good," Reed said Thursday. "I’m getting stronger, getting my muscle back. That’s all I really need to do: get my muscle back and I’ll be all set." Reed could fight for targets as a rookie with Fred Davis coming back from a torn Achilles', but he's not off to a great start.

Source: CSN Washington

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000208234/article/montee-ball-learning-from-peyton-manning-on-broncos

Montee Ball learning from Peyton Manning on Broncos

By Kevin Patra NFL.com

Montee Ball's immersion into the NFL is getting a heavy dose of Peyton Manning.

The rookie running back has spent most of his time at organized team activities working with the four-time NFL MVP on learning plays and schemes. Even at the Denver Broncos' golf outing earlier this week, the second-round pick was in Manning's foursome, which doesn't sound like too much fun.

"I can tell you Ball (and rookie tackle Vinston Painter) have been studying their playbooks and not playing much golf, which is a good thing," Manning joked Thursday, according to USA Today Sports.

It isn't a joke that the Broncos will be counting on Ball big time this season, and Manning doesn't plan on leaning on a rookie who isn't up to speed.

"We're just kind of going through plays, going through games, getting him comfortable hearing audibles at the line of scrimmage," Manning said. "Because we are going to count on him in a big way this year. He's a rookie, but coach (John) Fox isn't going to bring him along slowly."

Ball and second-year man Ronnie Hillman are getting most of the reps during OTAs as injured veterans Willis McGahee -- who has been rumored to be on the roster bubble -- and Knowshon Moreno sit out.

Ball, with Manning's help, will get every chance to win carries and make the aging veterans on the roster expendable.

Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.
You almost have to listen to this.

Rotoworld:

Ravens TE Ed Dickson says his early season shoulder injury "kind of threw me off" last season, leading to a down year statistically.
Dickson has been working on his chemistry with Joe Flacco this offseason, and he hopes it translates to more targets in the passing game. "We're building right now to become eye to eye," Dickson said. "I'm trying to get that three-way going: me, [Flacco] and [Dennis] Pitta. I'm trying to be in the circle." OC Jim Caldwell plans to use even more two-tight sets with Anquan Boldin out of the picture, but we wouldn't expect Dickson to be fantasy relevant in 2013.

Source: baltimoreravens.com
Titans TE Delanie Walker suffered a knee injury on Friday and underwent an MRI.
We haven't seen anything to suggest the injury is a serious concern. Signed to a four-year, $17.5 million contract on the first day of free agency, the Titans believe they can "get more out of" Walker this year than they got from Jared Cook in recent seasons. We don't expect Walker to be a major fantasy contributor.

Source: Boston Globe
The National Football Post's Dan Pompei reports that Chargers third-round WR Keenan Allen (knee) still isn't 100 percent healthy.
Allen tore his left PCL last October. He was a full participant at rookie minicamp early last month, so if he isn't 100 percent then he's awfully close to it. Allen ran a 4.77 forty at the Combine, and that contributed to his slide down the draft board. The Chargers reportedly think his tape says he plays at 4.55 speed. Allen will challenge for snaps immediately as a rookie.

Source: National Football Post
New Colts OC Pep Hamilton wants his offense to be "able to run the football."
"You have to have balance in your offense," Hamilton said. "The teams I’ve been a part of where the quarterback has been effective and offensively we’ve had success consistently were the teams that were able to run the football." The Colts ran the ball just 39.7 percent of the time under Bruce Arians in 2012, but that will change this season. Coach Chuck Pagano recently confirmed that Vick Ballard is the "lead guy," but we don't like him as more than a low RB2.

Source: National Football Post
Jason Campbell has been working primarily with the second-team offense during voluntary workouts.
The Browns need to get Brandon Weeden acclimated to their offense as quickly as possible, so Campbell has been stuck playing with the second-team. Weeden will continue to get the majority of first-team reps in training camp and is the heavy favorite to be the Week 1 starter.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
Ravens OC Jim Caldwell believes second-year WR Deonte Thompson will be a "fine player."
"[Thompson]’s a gifted route-runner, and he is getting better," Caldwell said. "He understands how to sink his hips. He can do a great job of changing direction. He has speed, can catch the ball, and he’s tough. I think that’s a pretty good blend. He’s a young guy, so we will see." Thompson is firmly in the mix to take over one of the Ravens' No. 2 or 3 receiver roles.

Source: Baltimore Sun
Jamaal Charles left Friday's OTA after getting a toe on his right foot stepped on.
Charles underwent precautionary X-rays, and they came back negative. It shouldn't be a long-term concern. Charles enters training camp as a top-ten fantasy back, and he'll be more valuable in PPR this season under Andy Reid.

Source: Topeka Capital-Journal

Rotoworld:

Chiefs WR/RB Dexter McCluster will be used on punt returns this season.
Chiefs special teams coach Dave Toub called McCluster "intriguing," and said "he can really make you miss and I just think he’s got a lot of untapped potential as a punt returner." Toub spent the last several seasons coaching Devin Hester, and believes McCluster has the skills needed to excel at the position. McCluster hasn't returned punts since his rookie season, and at 5-foot-8 170 pounds, he'll likely be used sparingly.

Ravens WR Jacoby Jones is the early favorite to start opposite Torrey Smith.
Jones has always been billed as a high-potential player with starting ability, but has never shown consistency. 2010 was his best season, amassing 526 yards and three touchdowns in seven starts. Despite 10 starts the following year, his production dropped across the board. Jones will see more targets this season, but he's best suited as a No. 3 receiver and return specialist.

Source: Carroll County Times
Coach John Fox indicated the Broncos are being intentionally cautious with Knowshon Moreno in his recovery from an offseason stem-cell procedure on his right knee.
The surgery, which is believed to have taken place either in late January or early February, involved the removal of stem cells from Moreno's pelvis. They were then inserted into his right knee. Four months later, he still can't practice. "He's coming along," Fox said. "We're going to be very cautious. When the doctors give him the full-go go-ahead, he'll be doing everything."

Chiefs QBs coach Matt Nagy praised Alex Smith, saying "he's been everything that we thought he was."
"He's a true professional," said Nagy. "He's in his (playbook) every day. He's always asking questions, trying to get better. He's being a leader for the other (quarterbacks) as well." Of course, Smith hasn't practiced with pads on yet, but this news certainly bodes well for Smith's 2013 fantasy prospects. He's a dark horse QB2 candidate in Andy Reid's West Coast offense.

Source: The Wichita Eagle
Coach Andy Reid singled out TE Demetrius Harris for performing well throughout OTAs.
Harris, a college basketball player, is a former power forward trying to make the popular conversion to tight end. Reid says Harris has gotten "better and better every day," while adding he's continually made plays despite the tough transition. Although Harris won't contribute in a crowded Chiefs tight end corps this year, he's a guy to keep an eye on moving forward.

49ers RB Kendall Hunter (Achilles) has resumed cutting at OTAs.
Hunter will be a full eight months removed from his torn left Achilles' when the 49ers hit training camp at the end of July. Running backs have a longer recovery period than other positions because of their need to cut. It's a positive sign that Hunter's been able to do so nearly two months before camp opens.

Source: KFFL.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/56891/webbwatch-joe-webbs-athleticism

WebbWatch: Joe Webb's athleticism

By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

Before seeing former Minnesota Vikings quarterback Joe Webb as a wide receiver in organized team activities (OTAs), I suggested he has "a long, long way to go in terms of technique and route-running." During our Tuesday SportsNation chat, I also figured that Webb was more of a development project than Cordarrelle Patterson, the Vikings' raw but talented first-round draft pick.

After seeing Webb on Wednesday, I would enhance the assessment by noting his excellent hands, routinely snatching the ball out of the air before it came close to his body. His command of the playbook, meanwhile, is strong enough to help some of the Vikings' younger receivers line up. But even coach Leslie Frazier said that in his most hopeful vision of Webb's progress, "he'll be able to grasp the route-running part of it fast enough to give himself the best chance to go out and really have a chance to make the transition smoothly when we get to training camp."

Tonee of Winter, Wis., wasn't having it, asking via the mailbag why Patterson was a first-round draft pick while Webb -- who is bigger, stronger, a better leaper and almost as fast -- is considered to be such a long shot. An excerpt from a long note:

"Rather than focusing on what is not yet polished, let's be excited for how strong and new the oak table is. A good coach, like a good craftsman, can sand it out and put varnish on it. You can't coach size. There is only so much you can do to improve someone's speed, strength, and jumping ability.

"There was an article in Sports Illustrated a couple years ago explaining the formula for LSU football's success. They recruit by athletic ability rather than position. They would prefer the better athletes (explaining that many of their players are high school quarterbacks) and feel they can coach them to play a different position. Most of Percy Harvin's receptions came near or even behind the line of scrimmage last year. Let's give Joe Webb the same opportunity for now and teach him how to run downfield."

I don't disagree with the final sentiment: Rather than trying to mold Webb into a classic receiver and expect perfect route discipline, why not create the kind of hybrid role that emphasizes his open-field running ability and minimizes his inexperience? Webb will have to demonstrate a certain level of proficiency even in that kind of role, of course, and there will always be concerns about giving away the play if he is used in a limited package. But at this point in Webb's career, there is no doubt that some of the corners must be rounded off.

I would, however, caution against the idea that Webb's athleticism alone will lead to success, per the LSU model. In the NFL, everyone is the equivalent of an LSU athlete. It works at the college level because the skill and talent disparity is much wider.

Very clearly, though, Webb's crash course at receiver is going to be a point of high interest in the NFC North this summer. I'll plan accordingly. (No, it's not time for a permanent WebbWatch. Not yet.)

Rotoworld:

SI's Peter King believes rookie RB/WR Denard Robinson could be a "Kordell Stewart-slash kind of player" for the Jaguars.
Like Stewart, Robinson will see snaps all over the field, but unlike Stewart, his "home" position won't be quarterback. We also don't expect Shoelace to be doing any punting. The Jags want to get Robinson 10-15 snaps per game as a rookie. That's not bad for a fifth-round pick, but won't be enough playing time to make Robinson an option in redraft leagues. He's going to be a gadget player.

Source: Sports Illustrated
SI's Peter King is "hearing" the Jaguars have some "very interesting offensive wrinkles" planned for rookies Ace Sanders and Denard Robinson, and believes Sanders could be a "lesser Tavon Austin."
Sanders was a playmaker at South Carolina, but is even more pint-sized than Austin at 5-foot-7, 173 pounds, and lacks Austin's home-run speed. Sanders clocked a 4.58 40-yard dash at the Combine, which isn't in the same universe as Austin's 4.34. Sanders will fight for snaps in the slot, but is unlikely to affect games outside of special teams as a rookie.

Related: Denard Robinson

Source: Sports Illustrated
Michael Vick admits he "never paid attention" in fumbling drills.
Vick, 33 this month, is adamant Chip Kelly is the first coach to teach him how to properly carry the ball. "As crazy as it may sound, I never carried the football correctly," Vick said. "And that’s partly my fault because my coaches always got everybody in a circle and did a four-points-of-pressure drill, and I never paid attention, thought I was doing it right. Now I know how to hold it. It feels comfortable, it’s tight." Vick averaged 10.3 fumbles the past three seasons, but it sounds like that number will finally be coming down in 2013. Who knows what else Kelly might teach his veteran quarterback.

Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7
According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, Bengals coaches view WR Dane Sanzenbacher as a "clone" to pre-injury Jordan Shipley in the slot.
Shipley, who is now with the Jaguars, posted a 52/600/3 line for the Bengals as a rookie in 2010 before tearing up his knee early in 2011. Andrew Hawkins is locked into the slot for 2013, but perhaps the Bengals view Sanzenbacher as a potential replacement if they decide not to tender Hawkins a contract next offseason. Hawkins is a vastly superior player.

Related: Jordan Shipley

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
Christian Ponder says he's experienced no "aftereffects" from his late-season triceps injury, and is 100 percent.
Ponder underwent an MRI several weeks after the season after the injury "flared up," but is reportedly "throwing well" with "plenty of velocity" in OTAs. The injury won't be an excuse for a player who needs to prove he can threaten beyond the first level of the defense this season. Ponder has averaged pathetic 6.1 yards over his first 774 career attempts.

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

Matt Scott not ready to start as Jaguars' QB, Fisch says

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Arizona's Matt Scott drew pre-draft buzz among draftniks as a potential mid-round pick with his athleticism to spare, 27-14 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a 60.3 completion rate in Rich Rodriguez's spread-option offense. He ended up going undrafted presumably because teams viewed him as a purely developmental talent.

That didn't stop league observers from speculating that Scott could give underwhelming Jacksonville Jaguars quarterbacks Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne a run for the starting job after the team signed him as an undrafted free agent. It didn't hurt that new Jags quarterbacks coach Frank Scelfo was Scott's position coach at Arizona for four years.

But offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch was quick to dismiss the idea that Scott is NFL ready.

"Not today. Right now, Matt has been here for one rookie minicamp practice and has probably taken 10 plays," Fisch told Jaguars.com's John Oehser. "Matt Scott is being developed. There's no rush. We're not trying to push anything through. We're excited about his talent. That's kind of where we're at with him."

As desperate as Jaguars fans are for an alternative to Gabbert and Henne, they are going to have to wait for a glimpse at Scott's potential as a read-option specialist. Scott's first order of business is beating out Aaron Rodgers' brother, Jordan, for the third quarterback job.

Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides

By James Walker | ESPN.com

The 2012 season was a banner year for the top half of the Miami Dolphins' rookie class.

First-round pick Ryan Tannehill played all 16 games at quarterback, and second-round pick Jonathan Martin started at left and right tackle. Defensive end and third-round pick Olivier Vernon registered 3.5 sacks off the bench and was a terror on special teams, while fourth-rounder Lamar Miller led Miami with 4.9 yards per carry.

The only exception was third-round pick Michael Egnew. He came to Miami last year with lofty college credentials where he was a prolific tight end at Missouri. Egnew also has good size (6-foot-5) and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds at the NFL combine. The measurables are there.

However, Egnew was extremely raw and didn't show much of anything last year in training camp or practices during the season to earn playing time. He was active for only two games last year when Charles Clay got injured and didn't catch any passes.

It's early, but Egnew looks like an improved player in Year 2 during organized team activities. Egnew had perhaps his best practice of the offseason on Monday, catching three touchdown passes in seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 drills.

Egnew still has a long way to go. But if he continues his development, Egnew could eventually become an added weapon and a big target for Miami behind starting tight end Dustin Keller.

“I’ve just been getting better every practice,” Egnew said Monday. “I like the guys we got this year and we’re all getting better. I just went over fundamentals [in the offseason] like everyone else. I wanted to make sure I got stronger, faster and quicker.”

Egnew credits some of his early improvement to training in mixed martial arts this offseason. Now, Egnew is working to earn the trust of Miami's coaching staff after a redshirt 2012 season.

On Monday I asked Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin about Egnew's development and making more plays in practice this year.

“I see the same things you do, and it makes me feel more confident about his ability,” Philbin responded. “He’s starting to understand his role in the offense better, and maybe we know a little more about him, too, so we can put him in a position to make those type of plays. It’s been encouraging.”

I’ve learned years ago to never write off a player after his first season. The NFL is a very tough league, and sometimes it takes a two or three years for the light to turn on. Maybe things will eventually turn around for Egnew in Year 2. The Dolphins are certainly seeing some early signs in OTAs.

“You kind of learn how the NFL works,” Egnew explained. “You learn the speed of the game. You have to get used to it and have to go real fast.”

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on NFL 32 that rookie Montee Ball is "absolutely" the front-runner to replace Willis McGahee at tailback in Denver.
"It is absolutely the rookie Montee Ball from Wisconsin," said Mortensen, who recently spent a ton of time with the Manning brothers. "And I can tell you already the feeling from the quarterback (Peyton) is this guy has -- kinda like what Edgerrin James and Joseph Addai gave him -- is that he gets 'it.' He's got 'it.' In other words, he's dedicated, he's a pro, and he's got talent. ... Montee Ball, watch out." Look for Ball to blow by Ronnie Hillman et al in training camp and preseason games. He's already the best inside runner on Denver's roster.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL 32 that undrafted rookie QB Matt McGloin has made a "huge impression" on Raiders brass at OTAs and is a candidate to climb the depth chart.
"He's actually made a huge impression in the first two weeks of OTAs, to the point where he's pushing Tyler Wilson and Terrelle Pryor," said Mort. "So watch out for Matt McGloin to climb up the depth chart if he continues this." It's a nice story, but probably just confirmation that the Raiders don't have a franchise quarterback on their roster more than anything. The fact that Wilson was pushing Flynn early, and now Wilson and Pryor are failing to separate from Penn State alum McGloin is a huge indictment of Oakland's talent.
Asked about third-year QB Terrelle Pryor's progress during OTAs Monday, Raiders coach Dennis Allen replied "he's not there yet."
The Contra Costa Times reported in May that Pryor was struggling in the non-contact practices, which didn't surprise us. Pryor is not an accurate passer of the football. Allen did credit Pryor with solid work ethic, but he's unlikely to beat out rookie Tyler Wilson for Oakland's primary backup job behind Matt Flynn. The notion that Pryor might push for the Raiders' starting position -- a popular idea in some Oakland fan circles -- was nothing short of ludicrous.

Source: Steve Corkran on Twitter
Amid rumors rookie WR Ryan Swope is still battling college concussion woes, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians assured Monday that Swope will be "fine."
We might believe Arians if Swope was on the practice field for Monday's OTA; he wasn't. A sixth-round pick, Swope is a candidate to be redshirted as a rookie, further removing him from the concussions. NFL Network's Mike Mayock reported before the draft that Swope suffered "at least" four concussions at Texas A&M.

Source: Kent Somers on Twitter
Panthers rookie TE Brandon Williams will be sidelined until training camp after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery.
An undrafted free agent and former college basketball player, Williams was more of a practice-squad than 53-man roster candidate to begin with. The knee scope will further decrease Williams' odds of landing a job behind Greg Olsen.

Source: Joe Person on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Vincent Brown is running with the Chargers' starters at OTAs this week.
Coach Mike McCoy says Brown will "without a doubt" be a big part of the 2013 offense. Brown has been rotating with Malcom Floyd opposite Danario Alexander, and he could even overtake the soon-to-be 32-year-old Floyd shortly. Brown is finally 100 percent recovered from his broken ankle. If he locks down the Z receiver spot opposite X wideout Danario Alexander, Brown could be quite the fantasy sleeper. He's got great hands and has always run great routes.

Related: Malcom Floyd

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego
Texans WR DeVier Posey (Achilles') is expected to be on the field "doing drills" at next week's minicamp.
Coach Gary Kubiak recently classified Posey's recovery as "ahead of schedule," and this is confirmation. Posey has been running on an anti-gravity treadmill, and his next step is to get on the field. We wouldn't expect him to do a whole lot, but it's a sign that the second-year wideout could contribute in 2013.

Source: Nick Scurfield on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Montario Hardesty is getting the first-team reps at OTAs.
Trent Richardson is nursing a shin injury and may not even be ready for camp. Considering T-Rich's injury history, Hardesty is shaping up as a must-own handcuff. He averaged 4.16 YPC and scored one touchdown on 65 carries last season. The Browns have one of the game's best offensive lines.

Related: Dion Lewis

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Rotoworld:

Coach Greg Schiano said Doug Martin is looking "really good" during OTAs.
As a rookie, Martin ranked fourth in carries (319), fifth in rushing yards (1,454) and tied for fifth in rushing touchdowns (11). His extremely quiet offseason can only be characterized as a good thing. For now, The Bucs only have sixth-round rookie Mike James, 2012 seventh-rounder Michael Smith and third-down option Brian Leonard as backups. Martin is set up to push for 350-plus touches once again and is currently Rotoworld's No. 2 fantasy running back.

Source: Tampa Bay Times
Brandon Marshall (hip surgery) has been cleared to resume on-field activities.
Marshall's latest hip procedure was a minor scope. He now has a full three months to ramp up to 100 percent for Week 1. With offensive-minded Marc Trestman installing a pass-heavy offense that focuses on protecting Jay Cutler, Marshall has a realistic shot to match last year's 118 catches, 1,508 yards and 11 touchdowns. He's in the second tier of fantasy wideouts behind Calvin Johnson.

Source: Brandon Marshall on Twitter
Willis McGahee's agents say their client has some personal family matters he's attending to.
McGahee comes from Baltimore and the University of Miami, where veteran stars rarely show up for voluntary OTAs. He doesn't seem to grasp that his roster spot in Denver is in jeopardy thanks to a $2.5 million salary, last year's broken leg and the emergence of Montee Ball/Ronnie Hillman. McGahee is expected to show for Broncos' June 11-13 mandatory minicamp.

The Denver Post says Ronnie Hillman is best suited for an 8-12 carry role.
The bulked up Hillman has been running as the Broncos' starter during OTAs, but he's not a feature back. We fully expect rookie Montee Ball to win that job once the pads go on, leaving Hillman in his natural change of pace role. Willis McGahee and Knowshon Moreno are not locks to stick on the final roster.

Related: Montee Ball

Sources close to Hakeem Nicks continue to insist that his absence from OTAs has nothing to do with his contract.
Nicks is owed $2.725 million in 2013, the final year of his rookie contract. He has no leverage thanks to a laundry list of lower-leg issues and a 53/692/2 line last season, but PFT's Mike Florio suggests Nicks is simply trying to protect himself from injury at this critical juncture in his career. The sessions are officially voluntary, even if coaches like Tom Coughlin try to say otherwise. Michael Crabtree, Anthony McCoy and Arian Foster have all been injured in OTAs.

DeSean Jackson was briefly demoted to the second- and third-team offense earlier during Eagles OTAs.
Jackson went into Chip Kelly's office to demand an explanation. The first-year coach told him he had to learn every position in the offense and do "everything the right way." Since then, Jackson has resumed his normal role with the starters. He's highly motivated to succeed as he enters a virtual contract year. D-Jax is owed $10.25 million in 2014 base salary, and there's only $750,000 of guaranteed money left in his deal.

Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7
T.J. Graham was reportedly the Bills' most impressive receiver during OTAs.
In the battle to line up opposite Stevie Johnson, Graham is off on the right foot. The Bills' official site says the 2012 third-rounder looks like a prime candidate to make a second year leap. "I understood what I had to do for an NFL game or a practice - what things to work on," said Graham. "It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. You've got to pace yourself. The training this year was a little different." Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin and Da'Rick Rogers will be pushing Graham come camp. It's a low upside position battle from a statistical perspective.

Related: Da'Rick Rogers, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin

Source: buffalobills.com
Chiefs OC Doug Pederson confirmed Jamaal Charles will be a major part of the passing game.
Charles has never caught more than 45 balls in five years with the Chiefs. That's about to change. "You've seen him sprint out of the single receiver, and he'll come out of the backfield," Pederson said. "He's a guy that needs to move around and (one) you can put in different positions, motion out the back, shift him from the backfield. He catches the ball so well that you have to take advantage of that offensively." With Andy Reid's penchant for throwing to running backs and Alex Smith's check-down mentality, Charles is a great bet for 60-70 catches. He's a lock for high-end RB1 value in PPR.

Source: Fox Sports Kansas City

NFL minicamps begin: What to watch

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

NFL teams are only allowed one mandatory three-day minicamp practice per offseason. For five teams, that minicamp starts Tuesday.

Cleveland, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Green Bay and New Orleans are under the spotlight this week as the first teams to hold their mandatory sessions.

This isn't the end of the offseason program for each team, but it is the centerpiece of all the work that happens before training camp. Practices still don't have pads, although teams can stay on the field longer. Here's what we're looking for from each team this week.

Green Bay Packers1. It will be interesting to see how coach Mike McCarthy deploys cornerback Sam Shields after he recently re-joined the team. The Packers have rolled with Casey Hayward as a starter opposite Tramon Williams during OTAs, and that arrangement could stick.

2. The running back rotation is going to be a focus for this team in minicamp and training camp.

3. Kicker battle! Giorgio Tavecchio will challenge struggling incumbent Mason Crosby.

New Orleans Saints1. The base 3-4 starting defensive end spot remains wide open opposite Cameron Jordan. Akiem Hicks and Kenyon Coleman are among the players battling for snaps.

2. Lance Moore once emerged as an OTA/minicamp favorite of Drew Brees. There is room for another unknown receiver to step up this year because the Saints are thinner than usual at wide receiver. Joe Morgan's recent arrest highlights the issue.

3. The backup quarterback spot remains open. Veterans Luke McCown and Seneca Wallace are probably battling for it, with undrafted rookie Ryan Griffin from Tulane more likely to land on the practice squad.

Philadelphia Eagles1. The OTAs are all about teaching. It will be interesting to see if Chip Kelly uses minicamp to really test-drive everything his players have learned so far.

2. Michael Vick and Nick Foles should continue to split snaps evenly as the first-team quarterback. We'll watch to see if Matt Barkley gets in the mix anymore.

3. Wide receiver Riley Cooper admits he has "no idea" where he stands at wide receiver. After presumed starters DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin, it's a wide-open race for snaps for Jason Avant, Ifeanyi Momah, Greg Salas and Damaris Johnson.

Cleveland Browns1. Brandon Weeden received almost all the first-team snaps in OTAs. If that's true again in minicamp, it shows the starting job is in no ways up for grabs.

2. It would be great to see Trent Richardson back on the field, but he might miss practice until August, according to one report. Richardson's injury situation has helped Montario Hardesty get noticed.

"It's been good that those guys have had a chance to be able to work with the first group," Browns coach Rob Chudzinski said after last week's OTAs. "Montario (Hardesty) really is a different style than Trent. He's a good companion-type guy to him. He's a slasher and has really good vision."

3. Rookie Leon McFadden is lining up as a backup for now, but the Browns are counting on him for a big role.

Kansas City Chiefs1. Cornerback is crowded. Dunta Robinson opened OTAs as a starter at cornerback with Sean Smith playing the nickel. It's a position to watch.

2. It's hard to get a feel on defensive linemen in OTAs, but the Chiefs have talked up the entire d-line and the Powe/Poe brothers (Jerrell and Dontari) a ton this offseason.

3. Look for the competition to see which Chiefs teammate can complement Alex Smith the most this week.

Most teams in action this week, and virtually all of them next week...

Code:
Team			Remaining OTAs		MinicampArizona Cardinals	June 4-7		June 12-14Atlanta Falcons		June 12-15		June 19-21Baltimore Ravens	June 4-7		June 12-14Buffalo Bills		June 5, 7-8		June 19-21Carolina Panthers	June 4-7		June 12-14Chicago Bears		June 4-7		June 12-14Cincinnati Bengals	June 4-7		June 12-14Cleveland Browns	June 12-15		June 5-7Dallas Cowboys		June 4-7		June 12-14Denver Broncos		June 4-7		June 12-14Detroit Lions					June 12-14Green Bay Packers	June 5-8		June 12-14Houston Texans		June 4-7		June 12-14Indianapolis Colts	June 4-7		June 12-14Jacksonville Jaguars				June 12-14Kansas City Chiefs				June 12-14Miami Dolphins		June 11-14		June 19-21Minnesota Vikings	June 11-14		June 19-21New England Patriots	June 4-5		June 12-14New Orleans Saints	June 11-14		June 5-7New York Giants		June 4-5, 7-8		June 12-14New York Jets		June 4, 6-7		June 12-14Oakland Raiders		June 4-7		June 12-14Philadelphia Eagles	June 4-7		June 12-14Pittsburgh Steelers	June 4-7		June 12-14San Diego Chargers	June 5-7, 11-14		June 19-21San Francisco 49ers	June 4-7		June 12-14Seattle Seahawks	June 4-7		June 12-14St. Louis Rams		June 5-8		June 12-14Tampa Bay Buccaneers	June 4-5, 7-8		June 12-14Tennessee Titans	June 5-7, 11-12, 19-21	June 14-15Washington Redskins	June 4-7		June 12-14

Jimmy Graham ready to bounce back

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

METAIRIE, La. -- It’s never too early to talk fantasy football, so let me throw you a little tip.

If you’re inclined to draft a tight end early, go grab New Orleans’ Jimmy Graham. Call it a hunch, but I’m expecting a monstrous season from Graham. It’s more than a hunch, really. My theory is based on how spectacular Graham looked in Tuesday morning’s minicamp practice.

It’s also based on the fact that Graham is back to full health after playing with a wrist injury, which I think was more serious than he ever let on, much of last season.

“Certainly getting him back from his offseason surgery and I know he’s anxious to get started on this year,’’ coach Sean Payton said. “But I thought his practice today stood out.’’

Graham didn’t have a bad season last year as he caught 85 passes for 982 yards and nine touchdowns. But he didn’t take the next step that many expected after he caught 99 passes for 1,310 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2011.

I think a lot of that had to do with the wrist injury. Graham led the NFL with 14 drops last season.

“We had a handful of guys that played through some injuries,’’ Payton said. “We had a handful of drops. Certainly, his expectation level is high, just as ours is as well and I look forward to watching him this upcoming season and seeing him progress.’’

I think a healthy wrist will help eliminate most of the drops and I expect Graham’s numbers to be as good, or better, than they were in 2011.

Quick hits from Saints minicamp

Pat Yasinskas

METAIRIE, La. -- The New Orleans Saints just finished the first practice session of their minicamp.

Let’s take a quick run through some notes, highlights and observations:

• Cornerback Keenan Lewis was not at practice. Coach Sean Payton said Lewis was “held out’’, but did not elaborate on the reason. Update: Nakia Hogan reports that Lewis briefly was hospitalized with stomach pains, but could be back for Wednesday's practice.
  • Jason Smith, who is competing for the starting left tackle spot, limped off the field about halfway through practice and was taken to the locker room.
  • Most of the talk about the safeties has centered on veterans Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins, and rookie Kenny Vaccaro. Harper and Jenkins worked with the first team Tuesday, and Vaccaro worked with the second team. But the one safety I saw make several big plays was backup Isa Abdul-Quddus.
  • Payton has said second-year running back Travaris Cadet has some similarities to Darren Sproles. But Cadet will have to come up with some big plays to make Payton and the coaches forget about what happened on a short pass about halfway through practice. The perfectly-thrown pass went right through Cadet’s hands and was intercepted by Corey White.
  • There clearly is a competition for the backup quarterback spot between Luke McCown and Seneca Wallace. I thought Wallace had the better performance Tuesday morning. I also think the Saints might be wise to keep Wallace. His mobility could be used on the scout team to help the defense get ready for the likes of Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick.
  • Wide receiver Jarred Fayson was the first name Payton mentioned when asked which young players stood out to him. Fayson had several nice catches. Fayson and cornerback Rod Sweeting had a brief shoving match after they collided at the end of one of Fayson’s catches.
  • Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said he was impressed by the performance of rookie linebacker Rufus Johnson. He’s working behind Will Smith and Junior Galette at “Jack’’ linebacker. I saw Johnson swat down a pass, and he looks like he has some quickness.
  • Running back Mark Ingram hasn’t been much of a threat as a pass-catcher. But the Saints seemed to be throwing to him a fair amount Tuesday. I think that might be a sign of things to come.
  • I’ll have much more on Ryan and the defense in my Thursday column. But, for now, let’s just say I was impressed with how many different defensive packages the Saints put on the field Tuesday morning.

Aaron Hernandez returns for New England Patriots

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

The New England Patriots finally received a bit of good news on a tight end. Expected to miss organized team activities and minicamps following shoulder surgery, Aaron Hernandez was back on the practice field Tuesday.

Hernandez has yet to be cleared for contact, but he did jump into a receiver drill, ran his route tree and caught passes from all three quarterbacks. He even stayed after practice to get in some extra work with Tom Brady.

Given the tangible signs of progress, Hernandez remains on pace for full participation once training camp opens in late July. With Rob Gronkowski's status up in the air, Hernandez likely will enter the season as Brady's top weapon in the passing game. No NFL tight end is more dangerous after the catch.

Brandon Weeden ahead in Cleveland Browns' QB race

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Amid protestations to the contrary from head coach Rob Chudzinski, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported a month ago that the Cleveland Browns' alleged quarterback competition was little more than lip service.

After observing minicamp practices this week, ESPNCleveland.com's Tony Grossi has reached the same conclusion.

Jason Campbell has been relegated to second-team reps with Brian Hoyer, while Weeden handles all of the first-team work.

Weeden has looked "exceptional" in the last three practices open to the media, according to Grossi. That's to be expected from a quarterback who can make every throw in the book. The defense is in shells and shorts, after all, with no hitting allowed. That strong arm also gives Weeden a prohibitive edge over Campbell in the Browns' new aggressive passing attack emphasizing play-action and vertical strikes.

Barring a faceplant of epic proportions in training camp and preseason action, Weeden will be under center in Week 1.

Rotoworld:

Texans coach Gary Kubiak fully expects WR DeVier Posey (Achilles') to play in 2013.
"How early is the question," Kubiak said. "We’re making a decision on him at the end of camp because of the PUP and those type of things." Posey expects to participate in individual drills in next week's minicamp. Achilles' injuries are rapidly becoming less daunting to return from, but it would be stunning if Posey avoided the PUP list to begin the season.

According to the Newark Star-Ledger, Jets TE Hayden Smith has "impressed" in OTAs, and "come a long way since 2012."
Beat writer Conor Orr considers Smith the early favorite for the Jets' No. 3 tight end job. Appearing on NFL Network in March, former Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said Smith — who is a former rugby player — couldn't be covered in practice. Smith checks in at an imposing 6-foot-8, 240 pounds.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger
ESPN Boston considers Patriots TE Zach Sudfeld an "undrafted rookie of note."
Reporter Field Yates calls Sudfeld a "smooth pass catcher" who will likely "compete for reps through training camp." A 6-foot-7, 255-pound monster out of Nevada, Sudfeld had just two career catches before posting a 45/598/8 line as a senior. The health of Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez will play a huge part in Sudfeld's roster chances.

Source: ESPN Boston
Jamaal Charles (toe) has already resumed practicing in full.
As is typically the case with OTAs ailments, Charles' toe "injury" was never anything to worry about. Aside from his ACL-wrecked 2011 — which is admittedly a major aside — Charles has missed just one game in four seasons.

Source: Adam Teicher on Twitter
Greg Jennings (ankle) has resumed practicing.
It's just an FYI. Jennings' OTAs ailment was never a concern despite his recent injury history.

Jimmy Graham (wrist surgery) is "coming along well," and has been a full participant in mandatory minicamp.
Unlike Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, Graham is officially out of the injury wilderness. He's been lighting up the Saints' offseason program. With his drop-inducing wrist injury healed, Graham is the clear-cut No. 1 fantasy tight end.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune
Mikel Leshoure (hamstring) expects to be limited until training camp.
Leshoure returned to limited on practice on Monday, but won't be full-go for OTAs or minicamp. "(It's) offseason OTAs, it’s no time to be out here trying to rush and do things," Leshoure said. "I’m not saying I haven’t been trying to get back. That’s been the plan. But we’re just being a little bit smarter this year." On a micro scale, Leshoure's hamstring ailment isn't a concern, but on a macro scale, it's just his latest nagging leg injury. It's a pivotal season for the 2011 second-rounder's Lions future.

Source: Detroit Free Press

Jimmy Graham 'hungry' to play for New Orleans Saints
By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Jimmy Graham is coming off a down year.

At least, by his crazy standards. Graham finished 2012 with 85 catches for 982 yards and nine touchdowns for the New Orleans Saints. Strong numbers, no doubt, but well off the production of his 2011 season, which was one of the greatest ever had by a tight end.

Graham wants to get back to that level.

"I'm a hungry player. And this is probably the hungriest I've ever been, to kind of right the wrong of last year, to prove what this team can do and maybe hush up some of the naysayers," Graham said Tuesday, according to The Times-Picayune. "So for me, it's all work and doing as much as I can to be the best player I can."

A wrist injury plagued Graham all of last season, certainly playing a role in his issue with dropped passes. Graham said he's feeling like himself again after surgery in January.

"Everything's going well," Graham said. "I've been in rehab and I've been getting stronger. Right now, I'm almost 100 percent, so going into camp I'll be 100 percent. And it just feels good. It feels good to be healthy finally and to be back playing like me."

Look out for Graham. He's healthy and motivated, and he's already proved what he's capable of when he gets locked in with Drew Brees. Don't be surprised if he is the game's most productive tight end in 2013.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

Rotoworld:

Cowboys fifth-round RB Joseph Randle (thumb surgery) expects to have his cast removed in two weeks.
"I’m ready to get it off," Randle said. The rookie running back hasn't been participating in OTAs, and he's not going to be ready to take part in next week's minicamp. Instead, Randle has been nose-deep in the Cowboys' playbook. He admits the plays are "more complex" than Oklahoma State's, but insists he'll have it down once training camp rolls around. Randle and Lance Dunbar will compete to be DeMarco Murray's top backup this summer.

Source: Dallas Morning News
Coach Rex Ryan praised second-round QB Geno Smith on Wednesday.
"I don’t think it’s too big for him," Ryan said. "I think he’s doing a great job. I think the way he throws the ball, obviously you notice his physical skills. He can throw it with anybody and I think that’s been impressive." The competition between Smith and Mark Sanchez doesn't appear to be coming to a close anytime soon, but Ryan said if there's a split between the coaching staff, then he'll have the final say. We'd expect Ryan to choose Smith in that situation.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
Redskins rookie RB Chris Thompson (torn ACL) is "more than a month away" from receiving full clearance, but is tentatively expected to be ready for training camp.
"It’s something I have to be patient with," Thompson said. "But I know my time will come." A pint-sized (5-foot-7, 192 pounds) scatback, Thompson will be in the mix for third-down duties as long as he's healthy come the preseason.

Source: Washington Post
A cyst was found on Packers RB DuJuan Harris' lung during a physical, but he said he should be "110 percent very soon."
Players go through physicals before minicamps for reasons like this. Per the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, coach Mike McCarthy said he's hopeful Harris will be available for the start of training camp. When he returns to action, the 24-year-old Harris will work to secure a role in a backfield with two new prominent members in rookies Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin.

Related: Eddie Lacy, Johnathan Franklin

Source: DuJuan Harris on Twitter
Jeremy Kerley was "backed down" in Wednesday's practice with a "slight" heel issue.
It wouldn't normally be notable, but Kerley dealt with heel issues last season, and the status of Santonio Holmes (Lisfranc) and Stephen Hill (knee) remains up in the air. Each of the Jets' top three receivers are nicked even though they're over five months removed from their most recent game. They have a little less than two months to get healthy before camp.

Source: Conor Orr on Twitter
Jets coach Rex Ryan admits there's a "possibility" Santonio Holmes (Lisfranc) could begin training camp on the active/PUP list.
It's a bit surprising, as Holmes will be nearly 10 full months removed from going down when camp rolls around. Lisfranc injuries are serious business, but they don't usually require almost an entire year of recovery time. It's not news the Jets need to hear with Stephen Hill's (knee) status also murky. The Jets' thin and inexperienced receiver corps is going to give whoever's under center fits this season.

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter
Stephen Hill is still having issues with his surgically-repaired right knee.
Hill had been participating in team workouts, but the medical staff "recently discovered some more fluid" in his knee. "I was (expected to be cleared by now)," Hill said Wednesday. "I was going through some team workouts. At first it kind of swelled up on me a little bit and (the trainer) was like, 'we don't need this to happen at all.'" According to coach Rex Ryan, Hill should be ready for next week's minicamp. It's a bit concerning Hill is still having issues nearly six months after the fact, but he remains on track to be 100 percent for camp.

Rotoworld continued:

Updating an earlier item, Ben Roethlisberger's "minor" knee operation was to repair damage to his right meniscus.
It's the exact same operation he underwent seven years ago. The recovery time varies from 4-6 weeks, putting Roethlisberger squarely on track for training camp. Despite Big Ben's increasingly lengthy injury history, it's not a concern for his 2013 status.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Joe Webb was spotted fielding some punts on Wednesday.
Webb is no longer an option at quarterback, but the Vikings don't want to give up on a player of his athletic ability. They're trying to get him up to speed at wide receiver as well as chipping in on special teams and being a gadget guy.

Coach Mike McCarthy said Jermichael Finley looks "excellent" so far this offseason.
After an extremely slow start last year, Finley satisfied coaches in the second half and produced 33 catches for 402 yards and one touchdown over the final eight games. He's building on that momentum as he heads into a contract year. "He's stronger. He's playing with more confidence," McCarthy said. "I really like the offseason that Jermichael has put together so far." At a very thin tight end position, Finley projects as a borderline fantasy starter.

Source: ESPN.com

That's not his best attribute. I can just hear the front office folks saying "Did anyone know he wasn't great at the long ball?"
That's what my thoughts are as well, and the article even mentions the following:

Smith led the league in completion percentage last season with the San Francisco 49ers, but threw the ball deep only 19 times during his 10 appearances. He tossed just 43 deep balls during his 16 starts in 2011. Over two seasons, Smith connected on 42 percent of those throws, not exactly record-setting numbers.

Take into account that Aaron Rodgers launched it deep 62 times last year; Peyton Manning a whopping 72 times. Smith has never been used this way, because it's never been his strength.

Rotoworld:

Roy Helu (Achilles', toe) practiced Thursday for the first time this offseason.
Helu is coming off February surgery to repair the left toe injury that limited him to three games last season. If he makes the Redskins' final roster, it will be as a third-down back.

Source: Mike Jones on Twitter
Coach Leslie Frazier said Kyle Rudolph is "so much more sure of himself" this season.
Operating as an in-line tight end for the first time in his career last season, Rudolph struggled everywhere but the red zone. He averaged just 9.3 YPC, dropped six passes and was held under 40 yards 11 times. He finished as fantasy's No. 9 tight end thanks to his nine touchdowns and one 2-point conversion. Now that Christian Ponder is taking a step forward and Rudolph is more comfortable, he has a shot to show more consistency between the 20s. He's on the back end of the TE1 radar.

Reggie Wayne said he's "still trying to figure out" new OC Pep Hamilton's system.
Like most veteran NFL players from the University of Miami, Wayne has been a scant participant at OTAs. That means he's trying to get caught up on the new West Coast scheme Hamilton is implementing. It's not a real concern, but the loss of Bruce Arians and a second-half swoon last year is. Wayne will turn 35 years old in November.

Source: Terre Haute Tribune-Star
The Washington Examiner's John Keim suggests Robert Griffin III will cut his rushing attempts to 70 this season.
This assumes Griffin's reconstructed knee will be ready to go Week 1. Last year, he rushed 120 times for 815 yards with seven touchdowns, leading to a fifth-place fantasy finish among quarterbacks. Cutting those attempts by 40 percent would be a big blow to his bottom line. RG3 has repeatedly said he'll be more cautious when scrambling, and the Redskins plan to reduce his designed runs.

Source: Washington Examiner
ESPN's Dan Graziano believes Leonard Hankerson is still behind Josh Morgan on the Redskins' depth chart.
Hankerson had plenty of chances last season thanks to Pierre Garcon's injury, but showed no separation skills en route to a disappointing 38/543/3 line. If he can't give the Redskins difference-making plays as a receiver, they'll go with Morgan as the far superior blocker.

Related: Josh Morgan

Pierre Garcon is planning to wear special shoes this season to help with the torn ligament in his right foot.
Garcon has opted against surgery because there's no guarantee that it will completely solve his injury. Therefore, he's looking toward pain management. "I have to learn a lot about my foot and how I run and things like that with all these injuries, but it's getting better," he said. If anywhere near 100 percent, Garcon has monster upside as an explosive "X" receiver in the Shanahan & Son offense. We'll get a better look at his progress in training camp.

Coach Rex Ryan said he's not close to naming his starting quarterback.
The Jets were hoping one of Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith would separate himself during OTAs. It hasn't happened. "It's way too early," Ryan said. "Some days this guy looks good, some days that guy looks good." Sanchez -- who has a league-high 52 turnovers over the last two seasons -- has gotten a few more first-team reps as the incumbent, but Smith has rotated in plenty. "For me to make the decision, to say the competition is over, it will have to be 100 percent clear," Ryan said. "If it's not, we're going to keep competing until it's clear."

Related: Geno Smith

Source: ESPN New York
Coach Sean Payton said he still sees Darren Sproles as a "valuable runner as well as receiver."
Despite consistent bracket coverage, a broken hand and the absence of Payton last season, Sproles averaged 5.7 catches for 51.3 yards and scored seven receiving touchdowns. Those numbers were actually better than his breakout 2011 campaign. The difference was in the running game, as Sproles' yards fell from 603 to 244. With Payton back in the mix, we can safely project another 1,000 total yards and 80-plus catches. Sproles is a PPR monster.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

That's not his best attribute. I can just hear the front office folks saying "Did anyone know he wasn't great at the long ball?"
That's what my thoughts are as well, and the article even mentions the following:

>>Smith led the league in completion percentage last season with the San Francisco 49ers, but threw the ball deep only 19 times during his 10 appearances. He tossed just 43 deep balls during his 16 starts in 2011. Over two seasons, Smith connected on 42 percent of those throws, not exactly record-setting numbers.

Take into account that Aaron Rodgers launched it deep 62 times last year; Peyton Manning a whopping 72 times. Smith has never been used this way, because it's never been his strength.
The flip side to this Faust is I believe Jamaal Charles is going to a top 3 RB this year and Smith will find him out of the backfield early and often. Charles and the underneath routes will have the most value once the season starts. That's why I still am low on Baldwin but feel like Dwayne Bowe should be light years better than last season. Bowe is another big time value in redrafts and I expect at some point for his stock to rise a good round or two from where it has been.

Mark Ingram New Orleans Saints' No. 3 back in practice
By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

Mark Ingram has not been a great fit in the New Orleans Saints' offense since the team picked him in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft. It feels like the Saints haven't used the running back much, but he's actually led the team in carries in back-to-back years. That may not happen for a third time.

Larry Holder of the Times-Picayune notes that Ingram consistently worked with the second-team offense during organized team activities and the Saints' mandatory minicamp, which wrapped up Thursday. Darren Sproles and Pierre Thomas split the "vast majority" of first-team work. Thomas received most of the traditional carries, with Sproles performing his usual "line up everywhere" role.

Initially, this news doesn't feel like a surprise. But Saints coach Sean Payton was loyal to giving Ingram the ball as a rookie, even at the risk of force-feeding him when he wasn't effective. Last year, Ingram led the team in carries, toting the ball 51 times more than Thomas.

Perhaps this is just a way to motivate Ingram. Maybe it's a recognition of what a great player Thomas truly is. Or perhaps it's a nod to Payton's plan to ride the "hot hand" when the season comes around.

No matter how you view it, there's no particular reason to expect Ingram's role to increase in his third season.

Rotoworld:

Second-round pick Christine Michael has received "a lot" of first-team reps at Seahawks OTAs.
Marshawn Lynch's participation has been hit or miss, but it's a possible indication Michael will have an opportunity to unseat Robert Turbin for the primary backup job. Pete Carroll is a devoted believer in the best-competitor-will-play philosophy. Michael is also a more talented runner than Turbin.

Source: Seattle Times
New Bears coach Marc Trestman will utilize Brandon Marshall and Matt Forte in motion this season in order to create advantageous matchups.
Using Marshall in motion will also make it more difficult for defenses to double team him. As exhibited during the second half of last season, Marshall is capable of playing all three wideout positions and doing it successfully, including slot receiver. He's a shoo-in top-five fantasy wide receiver again.

Related: Matt Forte

Source: Chicago Sun Times

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

Mark Ingram has not been a great fit in the New Orleans Saints' offense since the team picked him in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft. It feels like the Saints haven't used the running back much, but he's actually led the team in carries in back-to-back years. That may not happen for a third time.

Larry Holder of the Times-Picayune notes that Ingram consistently worked with the second-team offense during organized team activities and the Saints' mandatory minicamp, which wrapped up Thursday. Darren Sproles and Pierre Thomas split the "vast majority" of first-team work. Thomas received most of the traditional carries, with Sproles performing his usual "line up everywhere" role.

Initially, this news doesn't feel like a surprise. But Saints coach Sean Payton was loyal to giving Ingram the ball as a rookie, even at the risk of force-feeding him when he wasn't effective. Last year, Ingram led the team in carries, toting the ball 51 times more than Thomas.

Perhaps this is just a way to motivate Ingram. Maybe it's a recognition of what a great player Thomas truly is. Or perhaps it's a nod to Payton's plan to ride the "hot hand" when the season comes around.

No matter how you view it, there's no particular reason to expect Ingram's role to increase in his third season.

He is never going to look good in New Orleans, what a waste.

Rotoworld:

According to Tony Softli of 101 ESPN St. Louis, Brian Quick has been "putting on a show" at OTAs.
In Friday's session alone, Quick caught "17 to 18 passes all over the field." Softli mentioned that the second-year receiver was reeling in passes in the "red zone, middle of the field, on crossing routes, and deep down outside." Quick recently admitted that he struggled with the playbook as a rookie. That, coupled with the immense jump from Appalachian State to the NFL, contributed to his minuscule 2012 stat line. We have Quick as our No. 56 receiver at the moment, but he has a boat load of upside in what should be a high-octane St. Louis attack.

Source: 101 ESPN St. Louis
Lions WR Mike Thomas says he feels "a lot more comfortable" in the team's offense this year.
Thomas, acquired from the Jaguars for a fifth-round pick prior to last season's trade deadline, caught just five passes for a meager 28 yards in nine games after joining the Lions. If Ryan Broyles (torn ACL) isn't ready to contribute in Week 1, Thomas could see plenty of snaps from the slot.

Source: detroitlions.com
Cowboys WRs coach Derek Dooley says third-round WR Terrance Williams is "getting a little bit better," but "he's still got a long way to go."
"He’s starting to make a lot of plays in practice, which is what we saw in the college film," Dooley said. "It’s hard. These rookies are coming in, he’s hearing a language he’s never spoke. It’s like learning Japanese, right now." As we've said, Williams isn't a lock to beat out Dwayne Harris for No. 3 duties.

Source: Dallas Morning News
Ravens head coach John Harbaugh praised WR Torrey Smith for his leadership and progress on the field.
"We have a lot of leaders on this team, nobody less than Torrey Smith," said Harbaugh. ""He runs all the routes very well. Torrey is a guy that is only going to get better, because he works hard at it." With Anquan Boldin out of the mix, Smith will be counted on to make a bigger contribution in 2013. While we love his upside, we're not confident with Smith as anything more than a WR2 option.

Source: Baltimore Sun
Chiefs WR Donnie Avery missed most of OTAs with a high ankle sprain.
It's an injury that'll heal before training camp, but explains why Jon Baldwin received more first-team reps than he normally would have. We tentatively expect Jamaal Charles to finish second on the Chiefs in receptions, behind Dwayne Bowe. Avery and Dexter McCluster would be alternative pass-catching options.

The Giants' website refers to David Wilson as the team's "starting running back" and says he's "taking over for Ahmad Bradshaw."
This might not seem particularly groundbreaking, but there is a pocket of belief out there that Andre Brown could be the Giants' starter. Not happening. The Giants' website does concede Wilson will "share time" with Brown, but the extent to which will be determined by Wilson's progress. "He’s definitely in position to be the guy," said RBs coach Jerald Ingram. "But I think just like what we’ve done in the past here, we’re going to be a rotation-type team and what certain backs do best, we’ll play. I think he’s a playmaker."

Source: giants.com

Rotoworld:

The Newark Star-Ledger reports TE Jeff Cumberland remains the in-house favorite to replace Dustin Keller.
Cumberland is coming off a career year in 2012 and the Jets haven't made any upgrades at the tight end position. Hayden Smith has reportedly "impressed" during OTAs, but is not expected to compete for the starting job. Cumberland was targeted 52 times last season and could be asked to take on a bigger role in the passing game.

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

He is never going to look good in New Orleans, what a waste.
So much coach-speak, this early especially, but this is at least positive:

ESPN NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas "gets the sense" Mark Ingram will finally carve out a "firm role" in the Saints' 2013 offense.
Ingram is New Orleans' best inside runner, and Yasinskas noticed him playing more in the passing game at OTAs. "Number one, I think he is healthy," coach Sean Payton said of Ingram. "He is moving around real well. He looks sudden, and again this is all in shorts, but I’m excited to see him play this season. I think that obviously he will have an important role in what we do." Jun 7 - 2:43 PM

Users who are viewing this thread