What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2013 San Diego Chargers **** (1 Viewer)

DanFouts said:
Jammer to the Donkeys.....

Apparently the Broncos are the Chargers East now with Jammer, Vasquez, Phillips......

If they actually use Jammer as a CB, it will be a huge mistake...he looked so bad last year. But if he plays safety.......
Looks like the Donkeys are moving him to safety. And they got him for ~ the veteran's minimum, $940k.

WTF? Why can't we afford to pay him 1M to play safety?

DanFouts said:

Apparently the Broncos are the Chargers East now with Jammer, Vasquez, Phillips......

If they actually use Jammer as a CB, it will be a huge mistake...he looked so bad last year. But if he plays safety.......
Looks like the Donkeys are moving him to safety. And they got him for ~ the veteran's minimum, $940k.

Especially when it's been talking about for years that he should be a safety.

DanFouts said:

I really think he would make a better than average nickel back at this point in his career because he's a good tackler in the middle of the field and he's pretty smart, but I don't think he's a three down player at any position. The problem with moving these CB's to S in SD is the only position that is really filled is Weddle as one of the best FS's in the game. A few CB's can make the transition to SS but not many.

I'm glad he landed in den, personally. They think that crew is close to title contention but I just see a team that looked old in last years playoffs getting older, and older with every move. How many months is the window with that group? November?

I said last year that I didn't see a playoff victory coming from any team in the AFC West and I still don't. SD wasn't going to win a playoff game with Jammer on the roster so you may as well give the playing time to someone that might develop. Which is one of the most frustrating parts of the Freeney signing, it's just going to take snaps away from someone else. Jammer, Vasquez, Phillips... I don't mind seeing any of them go IF they would have brought in a young body to replace them. Can Williams start across from Cox? I have my doubts. Really wish they would have stayed put in round 2 and gotten a safer CB as a week 1 starter. They could have stayed put and improved on Jammer in round 2 and Vasquez in round 4 imo.

Can anyone give me a summary of the state of the O-line? Like a comparison from last year to this year. If I've kept track correctly, the only returning starter is Center - Hardwick, right? They drafted Fluker and signed Starks for their tackles, which should be a pretty decent combo. So who are the guards and what is the outlook on them in 2013? From boltbacker's post at the top of this page, I'm guessing they are scrubs and might be replaced with cuts from other teams when rosters get trimmed down.
Starks - Rinehart - Hardwick - Clary- Fluker

It's a significant upgrade to last year's O line despite what some people say. One aspect that goes completely over looked is the run blocking. Everyone loves to point to the pass blocking, but most don't realize we were 28th rushing the ball. If anyone closely watches the line play during runs, they will agree with me that it was horrid last season. We got no push, consistently let defensive players into the back field on runs. It was a down right disaster. Here is where we will see the true upgrade this season.

Fluker isn't known as the best pass blocker in the draft. He was known as the best, ELITE, run blocker. He is truly a road grader. He will get a push off the line. He can down block and eliminate DT's giving our RB's the edge. He is a MASSIVE upgrade to Clary in this regard.

Now let's talk about Clary. I'm happy someone finally realized he was much better utilized as a OG, than a tackle. He couldn't handle the outside edge, move him inside and you let him use his biggest asset - his strength and nastiness. Giving him a short area to work in and letting him ignore anyone but the guy directly in front of him is the best thing he could possibly hope for. Vasquez last season was a fine pass blocker, but was awful in run downs. He simply couldn't get a push inside. He was consistently pushed back off the ball. I don't believe this will happen to Clary. He has a strong base with long arms that will help maintain his base and keep the DT's out of the back field. We should actually be able to see some running lanes with him and Fluker providing some daylight. Not sure we'll see Clary being the road grader Fluker is, but he should be able to hold his position and create lanes, something that Vasquez wasn't able to do.

Hardwick didn't have the best of seasons, we could probably afford to upgrade him next season, but he's at least very adept at providing all the line calls and picking up blitzes (at least according to Rivers). Just hoping he can stay healthy and maybe Molk can push him for the starting job this season.

Rinehart is an upgrade to Green if he can stay healthy. He's excelled when he's been able to get in the lineup. Health is an issue though. He's ended up on IR almost every year. Troutman will challenge for the starting position. This should be an interesting camp battle to look at. Ideally Troutman wins this job outright since he's our only longterm prospect other than Fluker.

Starks should be a significant upgrade to Harris. I know he didn't grade out fantastic last season on PFF, but he was also coming back early from an ACL reconstruction. From all reports he's in great shape since he's been able to train all offseason and not have to rehab any injuries. He should be a steady addition on the outside and will form likely the biggest bookend tandem in the league with Fluker. Ideally he can come into camp closer to 330lbs than the 345lbs he's played at which would give him a bit more mobility to handle pass rushers. Being a full year removed from his ACL should only help. Don't discount how valuable his experience and intelligence will play in this pickup. So many of the issues last season between Harris and Green were because they couldn't handle blitzes/stunts that defenses would throw at them. There were so many missed assignments that it was difficult for Rivers to have any continuity in the passing game (not to mention the ridiculous amount of 7 step drops that Norv stubbornly called every damn time).

It won't be an all pro line, but it's a significant upgrade from what we threw out there last season. Add in a short quick passing game and an effective running game (crossing fingers Matthews can actually stay on the field) and this offense will be back in the top 10.
Some really useful replies. Thanks.

FWIW, Faust posted this in another thread: http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/story/22274386/offseason-extra-grading-offensive-lines-for-2013

Graded them pretty poorly, but of course better than last year.

DanFouts said:

I really think he would make a better than average nickel back at this point in his career because he's a good tackler in the middle of the field and he's pretty smart, but I don't think he's a three down player at any position. The problem with moving these CB's to S in SD is the only position that is really filled is Weddle as one of the best FS's in the game. A few CB's can make the transition to SS but not many.

I'm glad he landed in den, personally. They think that crew is close to title contention but I just see a team that looked old in last years playoffs getting older, and older with every move. How many months is the window with that group? November?

I said last year that I didn't see a playoff victory coming from any team in the AFC West and I still don't. SD wasn't going to win a playoff game with Jammer on the roster so you may as well give the playing time to someone that might develop. Which is one of the most frustrating parts of the Freeney signing, it's just going to take snaps away from someone else. Jammer, Vasquez, Phillips... I don't mind seeing any of them go IF they would have brought in a young body to replace them. Can Williams start across from Cox? I have my doubts. Really wish they would have stayed put in round 2 and gotten a safer CB as a week 1 starter. They could have stayed put and improved on Jammer in round 2 and Vasquez in round 4 imo.
They couldn't take a CB in the 2nd round IMO. We needed a starting ILB. You also have to give the young guys a chance to play. We spent 2nd and 3rd round picks on Gilchrist and Wright. Both have had their moments. They are coming into their third year. It was time to put up or shut up. I'm actually excited about Williams as a nickel back. He has insane speed and quickness, which we were really lacking in the defense out of the slot. Gilchrist was a poor fit as a nickel IMO, he's just not quick enough. I think he will excel in the S role opposite Weddle. We've been lacking coverage skills from our SS ever since Harrison left, plus we use our safeties so interchangeably that we needed a better center field type safety.

There's one clear difference on the defense this season - speed. Jammer was slow as molasses, Cason played slow, all our SS's were slow, Takeo was a glacier. If our DB's can stay healthy, we should see noticeable improvements this season on the backend.

I wouldn't put much stock into anything Acee says. He's been pretty much frozen out by the new front office (as has most of the media). The only useful insight generally comes from the Chargers regular media guys - Henne and Beane. They do the mailbags and the weekly boltcast video's. It's been a conscious effort by the team to control the flow of information IMO. They never used to put out so much info/media.

I agree with regard to Acee. From the whole Vincent Jackson contract situation three years ago until today I never get the feeling he has a better read than any random person on ESPN.

That said, the idea that Fluker may ultimately be better suited for the interior line isn't very far out there. I don't really understand the criticism in the link, however. Two OG's were taken ahead of Fluker and would likely have been taken by SD if they had been available in that slot. If you are looking for a sliver lining in SD it's that they have so many needs on OL that Fluker can develop at any position and it will be a successful pick. I've heard a lot of people use the word "REACH" when talking about the Fluker pick but I notice they NEVER offer a player that should have been taken instead which makes the criticism ring more than a little hollow.

They couldn't take a CB in the 2nd round IMO. We needed a starting ILB. You also have to give the young guys a chance to play. We spent 2nd and 3rd round picks on Gilchrist and Wright. Both have had their moments. They are coming into their third year. It was time to put up or shut up. I'm actually excited about Williams as a nickel back. He has insane speed and quickness, which we were really lacking in the defense out of the slot. Gilchrist was a poor fit as a nickel IMO, he's just not quick enough. I think he will excel in the S role opposite Weddle. We've been lacking coverage skills from our SS ever since Harrison left, plus we use our safeties so interchangeably that we needed a better center field type safety.

I think there's a huge difference between the potential of a Jamar Taylor(who is plenty fast) and Shareece Wright based on what we've seen so far. Keep in mind that Cox, while talented, tends to get dinged up so the nickle back will likely end up starting at some point. As near as I can tell SD has one starting caliber CB, a guy that's in "put-up or shut-up" mode because he hasn't shown much yet despite the fact the players ahead of them struggled mightily, and a rookie that almost everyone projects as a nickel back more than a viable option as a starting CB.

In contrast, at ILB SD already has the second best player on the team(Donald Butler) in his prime, DJ Smith that was signed just before the draft, Mouton who isn't quite starter caliber but is at the least a solid backup. Why not just take a 6th round flyer on a guy like Mauti(PennSt)? That would have made for plenty of depth at ILB.

How often do 3 or more CB's hit the field at the same time in an NFL game? ILB's? How often are 1 or fewer ILB's on the field in an NFL game? CB's? The way the game is played today I just think the CB position is a much more important position to fill than ILB.

SD uses 2 ILB's pretty much in all instances. They pull the NT for the Nickel back. Last season they used Demario Williams to come in on 3rd downs. Ideally this season both Te'o and Butler are 3 down LB's. It's the reason why they devalue the NT position, it's just not on the field for more than 50% of the snaps. Not that I can blame them when you have players like Liuget and Reyes that should get the majority of snaps on the interior line.

I'm not saying we didn't need another CB, but I don't think we needed a 2nd round CB. We needed a starting ILB. Mouton is not that guy sadly (at least according to Pagano who now has seen him for 2+ years). I also don't think any rookie CB (outside of the 1st round this draft) would have come in and beat out Wright (who I'm very high on).

Last edited by a moderator:
SD uses 2 ILB's pretty much in all instances. They pull the NT for the Nickel back. Last season they used Demario Williams to come in on 3rd downs. Ideally this season both Te'o and Butler are 3 down LB's. It's the reason why they devalue the NT position, it's just not on the field for more than 50% of the snaps. Not that I can blame them when you have players like Liuget and Reyes that should get the majority of snaps on the interior line.
Is it a given that the new GM and coaching staff share the same philosophy?

Just Win Baby said:
Beerguzzler said:
Is it a given that the new GM and coaching staff share the same philosophy?
The defensive staff didn't change aside from the secondary coach. McCoy and TT have already said repeatedly that they view Te'o as a three down LB.

McCoy and TT have already said repeatedly that they view Te'o as a three down LB.
... which is almost as comforting as hearing Turner/AJ repeat over and over at this time last year that Mathews was ready to carry the entire load in the running game. This is the time of year for hopes and wishes and thoughts that the SD OL can't possibly be as bad as the past year.

I have been critical of Telesco thus far but I do give him a great deal of credit for getting everyone signed.

I'd be excited to hear any camp reports regarding Derek Cox. He has a chance to be the best CB SD has had in awhile. The Clary experiment at OG is also interesting.

I really hope the Chargers look to add talent via the waiver wire before the season. McGahee in particular seems like a target as a stop-gap if DEN if dumb enough to release their best RB as so many people suggest. When Mathews goes down I just don't think Woodhead can carry the load by himself.

I know player trades rarely happen in the NFL but I can't help but wonder if Ryan would be tempted to make a deal to help mend the disastrous receiver situation in NY. All reports are Holmes can't... do much of anything yet and may not even be available to start the season. Hill is still raw and not making a great deal of progress. Sims-Walker hasn't brought much to the table according to reports. The TE situation is so dire that Winslow may start the season as the #1 receiver on the roster and who knows how many snaps his knees have left?

Haven't both Kyle Wilson and Quinton Coples been pretty big disappointments thus far in NY? They both have solid pedigrees but are languishing as backups on that roster while Ryan struggles to keep his job and doesn't have time to develop a WR? I'd love to get one or both for Malcolm Floyd who would step on the field and be the clear #1 WR on that Jet team at least until Holmes was 100%. The time to win is now for Ryan and either Coples/Wilson would have a solid shot at winning a starting spot in SD imo. I've actually been a Floyd supporter for the longest time but in clear rebuild mode it makes sense that Brown/Allen are the future and Alexander is the present at WR in SD. Throw in Meach/Royal/Butler as depth at the position I think SD is fine at WR, not that they'll be winning any playoff games this season anyway.

I know player trades rarely happen in the NFL but I can't help but wonder if Ryan would be tempted to make a deal to help mend the disastrous receiver situation in NY. All reports are Holmes can't... do much of anything yet and may not even be available to start the season. Hill is still raw and not making a great deal of progress. Sims-Walker hasn't brought much to the table according to reports. The TE situation is so dire that Winslow may start the season as the #1 receiver on the roster and who knows how many snaps his knees have left?

Haven't both Kyle Wilson and Quinton Coples been pretty big disappointments thus far in NY? They both have solid pedigrees but are languishing as backups on that roster while Ryan struggles to keep his job and doesn't have time to develop a WR? I'd love to get one or both for Malcolm Floyd who would step on the field and be the clear #1 WR on that Jet team at least until Holmes was 100%. The time to win is now for Ryan and either Coples/Wilson would have a solid shot at winning a starting spot in SD imo. I've actually been a Floyd supporter for the longest time but in clear rebuild mode it makes sense that Brown/Allen are the future and Alexander is the present at WR in SD. Throw in Meach/Royal/Butler as depth at the position I think SD is fine at WR, not that they'll be winning any playoff games this season anyway.
The Jets just don't have any cap room sadly. That being said, virtually all of our WR's have injury concerns. I would prefer to keep them all.

Do any other Charger fans find it frustrating that free agent Eric Winston(RT) is better than any OLman currently on their roster? Winston can't be asking for much $ at this point.

Why they don't sign him to start at RT and ease Fluker in as a RG his rookie season is beyond me. This has the added benefit that they wouldn't have to push Clary onto the field unless there were injuries.

cstu said:
Well at least no Chargers have murdered anyone this offseason. :thumbup:
If you are willing to let them plead to manslaughter for what they are doing to Rivers this year you are getting soft.

I'll listen to people say the OL might be a better unit run blocking, but if anyone thinks they are a better pass blocking unit they are lying to themselves. And I didn't think they could possibly pass block worse than last year. I think this is being charitable...

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=bitontiOLrank2013

How do Charger fans see the WR depth chart shaking out?

Right now Alexander/Brown seem like locks to start, but how many other WR's make the roster? It's a shame Deon Butler likely won't make the roster because I liked him a great deal coming out of college and think he could help in the return game if given the chance. He's been in a numbers crunch at WR/ST his entire career it seems. I still say that some team could use M.Floyd around the league since he doesn't fit the new offense and really isn't paid very much. I'm also not sure why they couldn't restructure Meachem contract since they have to pay him anyway and maybe send him back to New Orleans for a conditional middle draft pick now that the Saints lost Henderson. Maybe Morgain/Toon are ready to take that role over, maybe not, but with SD eating his salary I don't know why N.O. wouldn't be willing to bring him back in his old role in that offense. A WR unit of Brown/Alexander/Allen/Royal/Butler/Goodman seems plenty strong to me for a team that plans to throw to the TE and RB an awful lot.

Of course I still don't know why P.Hillis and E.Winston are floating around FA when they could play major roles in SD this season for very little money. When inevitable injuries hit the RB's and OL I hope people remember just how easily and cheaply depth could have been built before the season began.

spotrac says Floyd's contract guaranteed him $5.25M. He got a $1M signing bonus and his $2M salary last season was part of his old contract, prior to the extension. So I believe the guaranteed money is the following:

$1M signing bonus, paid last year

$2.75M option bonus, payable this year

$1.5M base salary this year

So to release or trade him, the Chargers would have to pay him $4.25M in real money and also eat a $3.5M cap hit ($2.75M bonus plus $750K of unamortized signing bonus).

Aside from all that, he has been a good player for the Chargers for a long time, and he is the only WR on the roster who has played a significant number of snaps with Rivers.

Floyd is a lock to make the roster.

IMO Brown, Alexander, Allen, Floyd, Meachem, and Goodman will make the roster, and the others will be released. If they could somehow get out of Meachem's contract, I'm sure they would, but I don't see them paying him to play for another team.

but I don't see them paying him to play for another team.
I would rather see them pay him to play for another team if it meant getting a draft pick considering I have my doubts how often he'll even be active on Sundays. Unless there are injuries I would expect Goodman to be higher on the depth chart based on special teams contributions. BTW I don't think he's a bad player, just a bad fit for this offense and what the new regime is trying to do. Just seems like a waste since Meachem has proven he can be productive in other systems and with N.O. in the NFC the move couldn't really come back to haunt them.

but I don't see them paying [Meachem] to play for another team.
I would rather see them pay him to play for another team if it meant getting a draft pick
What if it meant giving up a draft pick? That's a lot more likely.
I realize you are just joking but there is a lot of Meach-hate out there and I really don't understand it. He signed a contract way above what he was worth, but I don't blame him for that. In his last three seasons with the Saints he was a 700/7 guy while sharing a role with Devery Henderson.

I don't think he's regressed since then. He missed all summer last year and was never able to build a rapport with Rivers. The OL couldn't hold their blocks long enough for deep patterns to develop. I don't think he's suddenly a stiff, he just doesn't fit the new offense well and is a terrible fit for a team with a terrible OL and perhaps a QB that doesn't have the deep ball he once did. I think he's a great fit for a team like N.O. or BAL or maybe half a dozen others.

As I've said before, nobody else will pay him that $ but if SD is stuck paying him that $ what is the advantage of having Meach on the inactive list on game day rather than on a different roster?

BoltBacker said:
I would rather see them pay him to play for another team if it meant getting a draft pick
I realize you are just joking . . .
I wasn't really joking. I think there's almost no chance that Meachem will be traded. But if he is traded, I think the Chargers would have to give up draft a pick (like Meachem and a third in return for a fifth) to make the deal happen. Meachem with a $5 million guaranteed salary has negative value. In order to get another team to take on his negative value, the other team would need some additional compensation.

There's no chance that the Chargers would get a draft pick for trading Meachem. They'd have to give a draft pick.

BoltBacker said:
I wasn't really joking. I think there's almost no chance that Meachem will be traded. But if he is traded, I think the Chargers would have to give up draft a pick (like Meachem and a third in return for a fifth) to make the deal happen. Meachem with a $5 million guaranteed salary has negative value. In order to get another team to take on his negative value, the other team would need some additional compensation.

There's no chance that the Chargers would get a draft pick for trading Meachem. They'd have to give a draft pick.
Well, yeah, that's why I wrote restructure the Meacham contract in post #251. That way they pay him earlier and his base salary goes down. Even in the last post I wrote nobody else is going to pay him that $. I don't think any player(or their agent) is going to complain about getting more of any contract front loaded.

BoltBacker said:

Well, yeah, that's why I wrote restructure the Meacham contract in post #251. That way they pay him earlier and his base salary goes down. Even in the last post I wrote nobody else is going to pay him that $. I don't think any player(or their agent) is going to complain about getting more of any contract front loaded.
They can't actually restructure him because there's no chance in hell they are giving him an extension and they have no leverage to demand a pay cut since his entire salary is guaranteed this season. He's essentially untouchable this season with his large cap number making him virtually untradeable and can't be cut with the massive dead money that would go on the books.

He's as good as gone next season since we will actually see cap savings.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Robert%20Meachem&Position=WR&Team=Chargers

Beerguzzler said:
BoltBacker said:

They can't actually restructure him because there's no chance in hell they are giving him an extension and they have no leverage to demand a pay cut since his entire salary is guaranteed this season. He's essentially untouchable this season with his large cap number making him virtually untradeable and can't be cut with the massive dead money that would go on the books.

He's as good as gone next season since we will actually see cap savings.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Robert%20Meachem&Position=WR&Team=Chargers
They can't change some of his salary into a roster bonus paid on a certain date so that his actual salary is less but he gets the same amount of $. I didn't think every contract that is restructured is always an extension. Even if it technically had to be an extension you could throw in the same fake years at the end of the contract that is not guaranteed and nobody expects to actually play out.

To be clear, I don't expect Meachem to accept less money than he is currently guaranteed or expect another team to take over his entire salary.

From Salary Cap a Worthwhile Cause for Concern with the San Diego Chargers:

Even though the cap situation is much more upbeat than it was just a few short months ago when the former GM was let go, the Bolts still don’t have much wiggle room. There are only four teams in a worse position in relation to the cap as the Chargers have just $3,127,666 in cap room remaining.

Perhaps the biggest issue looming in San Diego is the status of veteran quarterback Philip Rivers. Once billed as an elite signal caller, Rivers has fallen on hard times of late and hasn’t lived up to the enormous contract that he signed in 2009 in recent seasons. His cap number is going to balloon significantly next season up to $17.11 million which is just part of the final two years of his deal set to pay him $29.55 million.

While new head coach Mike McCoy and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt have been nothing but upbeat about the incumbent quarterback since coming on board, one can’t help but think Rivers may be on the chopping block following this season. If released following this season, only $1.2 million of his contract would count against the 2014 salary cap; the rest of it would all come off of the books. It may seem like putting the cart before the horse with Rivers not even taking a snap yet in 2013, but it never hurts to be prepared.

Clearly the situation for the Chargers isn’t ideal in the salary cap world of the NFL looking forward, but the team has options after this season. It seems very likely that some high-priced veterans could be heading to the unemployment line when the 2013 season comes to an end.
Thoughts?

Even though the cap situation is much more upbeat than it was just a few short months ago when the former GM was let go, the Bolts still don’t have much wiggle room. There are only four teams in a worse position in relation to the cap as the Chargers have just $3,127,666 in cap room remaining.

Perhaps the biggest issue looming in San Diego is the status of veteran quarterback Philip Rivers. Once billed as an elite signal caller, Rivers has fallen on hard times of late and hasn’t lived up to the enormous contract that he signed in 2009 in recent seasons. His cap number is going to balloon significantly next season up to $17.11 million which is just part of the final two years of his deal set to pay him $29.55 million.

While new head coach Mike McCoy and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt have been nothing but upbeat about the incumbent quarterback since coming on board, one can’t help but think Rivers may be on the chopping block following this season. If released following this season, only $1.2 million of his contract would count against the 2014 salary cap; the rest of it would all come off of the books. It may seem like putting the cart before the horse with Rivers not even taking a snap yet in 2013, but it never hurts to be prepared.

Clearly the situation for the Chargers isn’t ideal in the salary cap world of the NFL looking forward, but the team has options after this season. It seems very likely that some high-priced veterans could be heading to the unemployment line when the 2013 season comes to an end.
Thoughts?
It's pretty obvious by the way the front office approached this offseason that Rivers wasn't in their plans beyond this season. I think drafting a QB in round 7 was the final "FU" to Rivers when this team has so many holes that they could have drafted a guy that might contribute this year.

Other than that... how much $ is Freeney making this year? How much more than A.Barnes? They may be in financial trouble but it's not completely due to the previous regime.

If they wanted to tear this thin down and start over they should have done just that. That's why I think they should be working on ways to squeeze a few extra draft picks out of the current roster since they are only going as far as their OL takes them this year anyway.

Thoughts?
It's pretty obvious by the way the front office approached this offseason that Rivers wasn't in their plans beyond this season. I think drafting a QB in round 7 was the final "FU" to Rivers when this team has so many holes that they could have drafted a guy that might contribute this year.

Other than that... how much $ is Freeney making this year? How much more than A.Barnes? They may be in financial trouble but it's not completely due to the previous regime.

If they wanted to tear this thin down and start over they should have done just that. That's why I think they should be working on ways to squeeze a few extra draft picks out of the current roster since they are only going as far as their OL takes them this year anyway.
It was...something. I hated the pick and couldn't understand why they'd draft a 25 yo QB from a small school if their goal was to groom someone to replace Rivers. Just a stupid pick IMO.

Thoughts?
I think there barring a significant injury and/or regression from Rivers, there is zero chance he's cut. He is by far the most valuable asset the franchise has, and he's got a good 5 years left. His game ages well since he doesn't rely on athleticism.

Thoughts?

It was...something. I hated the pick and couldn't understand why they'd draft a 25 yo QB from a small school if their goal was to groom someone to replace Rivers. Just a stupid pick IMO.
Perhaps they had him graded much higher and he was a great value at 7? Taking a QB in the 1st or 2nd round would have been a FU to Phillip, not drafting a guy that is unlikely to even dress.

Perhaps they had him graded much higher and he was a great value at 7? Taking a QB in the 1st or 2nd round would have been a FU to Phillip, not drafting a guy that is unlikely to even dress.
I think it was a definite indication that winning now certainly isn't a high priority as they could have easily drafted a player that may actually dress on game days.That is in itself an "FU" to Rivers. But I'll agree that maybe the wasted 7th rounder should be a lower case "fu" and the way they handled the OL situation is a much more obvious "FU" directed at Rivers that deserves to capitalized.

Complaining about 7th round picks is a joke. They are no better than UDFA's in the grand scheme of things. We had no 3rd QB. We needed one for camp and likely practice squad. It was a need on the football team. Simple as that.

If you look at some of their previous picks--as well as other teams' picks, they will draft someone if they had them graded significantly higher than the spot where they picked him.

I remember when LT was in his prime and they drafted Sproles in the 4th round because they had him graded much higher. When they let Brees go to NO because they felt Rivers was elite, they drafted Whitehurst in the 3rd round in 2006--again, because they had him graded higher.

I have watched every Chargers game for a long time and I don't think Rivers has changed. The OL has been terrible and he hasn't had the time to let the deep routes develop which doesn't open up the passing game and allow for the open receivers underneath. Plus, the running game hasn't been anything to scare opponents either.

Rivers has had less time to throw and was often throwing under duress which will affect accuracy. He still had 3600+ yards passing with 26 TDs and 15 INTs last year and a 88.6 QB rating. I'm sure half the teams in the NFL would take those stats.

In other words, I don't think Rivers will be going anywhere. Who will replace him?

Complaining about 7th round picks is a joke. They are no better than UDFA's in the grand scheme of things. We had no 3rd QB. We needed one for camp and likely practice squad. It was a need on the football team. Simple as that.
How quickly we forget.

How long has it been since SD was starting a UFDA at LT for this franchise? I think 7th rounders are a joke in general in the NFL, but not for this franchise in the state it is currently in. For most franchises a 7th rounder is considered a success if they make the practice squad. On the Chargers you may be starting at a critical position protecting the blindside of the multi-million dollar franchise quarterback.

If you're looking for a joke, I think that may be it.

How quickly we forget.

How long has it been since SD was starting a UFDA at LT for this franchise? I think 7th rounders are a joke in general in the NFL, but not for this franchise in the state it is currently in. For most franchises a 7th rounder is considered a success if they make the practice squad. On the Chargers you may be starting at a critical position protecting the blindside of the multi-million dollar franchise quarterback.

If you're looking for a joke, I think that may be it.
That we started a UDFA, doesn't really matter. He could have been a 7th rounder and he still would have sucked ###. Bringing up the past doesn't really make your point any more valid. 7th rounders are still nothing more than camp fodder for the most part. The Chargers needed a decent 3rd camp arm that can make the throws and understand the offense. They got that from early reports. He's actually more valuable than most 7th round scrubs since he will be throwing balls and will run scout team's offenses.

Of course I still don't know why P.Hillis and E.Winston are floating around FA when they could play major roles in SD this season for very little money. When inevitable injuries hit the RB's and OL I hope people remember just how easily and cheaply depth could have been built before the season began.
Both sign for veteran minimum, one year deals.

Is there any news at all on Ladarius Green? Is he even on the field? Haven't seen a whisper about the guy.
He's looked like the best player on the field occasionally. He's improved dramatically from last season. It looks like he pulled a muscle today though.

Mostly good: Second-year tight end Ladarius Green ran away from defenders and made several smooth catches. Late in practice, he wasn't moving well.
That being said, he will have issues getting on the field with Gates in front of him and Philips working as the primary blocking TE.

Ingram, Mouton, Alexander - if I'm a Charger I'm buying ACL insurance policies until they won't let me any more.

Still waiting on my Woodhead jersey, with even more interest as he's probably now the top playmaker on offense.

I thought this was an interesting blurb from rotoworld...

"

(Rotoworld) The New York Daily News believes the Jets will work to extend Antonio Cromartie's contract following the season. Analysis: Cromartie, 29, is entering the third year of a four-year, $32 million deal, but he has a team-high $14.98 million cap number in 2014 after restructuring his deal this past offseason. If he plays as well as he did last season as the No. 1 corner again in 2013, Cromartie could be in line for a monster pay day. Cromartie graded out as a top-five cover corner in Pro Football Focus' ratings last year.

"

I'm pretty sure they traded that guy away for the draft pick that ended up being Shareece Wright. Several people explained to me what a cancer that guy was and that's why they just had to trade him away for a third round pick. And, after all, there was that youtube video of him against the Jets not making a tackle(... not long before the Jets themselves gave the guy a $32mil deal so just how significant was that video again?). Thankfully, Shareece Wright doesn't have nearly as many kids so SD is much better off having endured Cason trying to play CB for the last few seasons. The money they saved in day-care alone must be staggering.

I still don't get it.

I thought this was an interesting blurb from rotoworld...

"

(Rotoworld) The New York Daily News believes the Jets will work to extend Antonio Cromartie's contract following the season. Analysis: Cromartie, 29, is entering the third year of a four-year, $32 million deal, but he has a team-high $14.98 million cap number in 2014 after restructuring his deal this past offseason. If he plays as well as he did last season as the No. 1 corner again in 2013, Cromartie could be in line for a monster pay day. Cromartie graded out as a top-five cover corner in Pro Football Focus' ratings last year.

"

I'm pretty sure they traded that guy away for the draft pick that ended up being Shareece Wright. Several people explained to me what a cancer that guy was and that's why they just had to trade him away for a third round pick. And, after all, there was that youtube video of him against the Jets not making a tackle(... not long before the Jets themselves gave the guy a $32mil deal so just how significant was that video again?). Thankfully, Shareece Wright doesn't have nearly as many kids so SD is much better off having endured Cason trying to play CB for the last few seasons. The money they saved in day-care alone must be staggering.

I still don't get it.
AJ Smith is a moron, as good as he was a amassing a very talented squad he certainly let it all slip away.

No way Cro should of been traded for nothing.

The pick was Mouton wasn't it? It was a second rounder. Shareece was a third. And yes it was a bone headed trade, just like it was stupid to draft Cason in the first when we had two corners already.

Users who are viewing this thread