What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2014 World Cup Thread*** (2 Viewers)

there's "flopping" (taking a dive), "embellishing" (using histrionics to sell a foul) and just "riding a tackle" (getting off your feet to avoid getting hurt when a tackle is coming in).
:goodposting:

Everyone absolutely hates the first one -- and if FIFA wanted it gone they could do it in a week by implementing video review and then nailing a couple high profile offenders immediately.

The 2nd one is borderline, but still not bad as long as there's a foul.

The third one isn't an issue. Going over avoids a lot of injuries.
in all honesty, I think #2 plays worse in the US. But #1 is often (it seems to this novice) accompanied by #2

the thing that i hear the most is "they are rolling in pain their faces twisted in agony and then when a call is made or it is clear no call is coming they pop up and play on". I hear that complaint more then "they fell down with little or no contact"
Jesus, then just don't watch.
I think it's a valid gripe. Basically common sense proof that they were either embellishing or faking. :shrug:

there's "flopping" (taking a dive), "embellishing" (using histrionics to sell a foul) and just "riding a tackle" (getting off your feet to avoid getting hurt when a tackle is coming in).

Everyone absolutely hates the first one -- and if FIFA wanted it gone they could do it in a week by implementing video review and then nailing a couple high profile offenders immediately.

in all honesty, I think #2 plays worse in the US. But #1 is often (it seems to this novice) accompanied by #2

the thing that i hear the most is "they are rolling in pain their faces twisted in agony and then when a call is made or it is clear no call is coming they pop up and play on". I hear that complaint more then "they fell down with little or no contact"
I think it's a valid gripe. Basically common sense proof that they were either embellishing or faking. :shrug:
There are things I don't enjoy about the NFL. Or the NBA. Those things have an impact on whether I'm moved to continue watching the product or not. But they never move me to go into those threads and say, "hey, you know what the problem is with the NBA and the NFL?"

It happens every four years and its beyond tiresome. There are things FIFA could probably do to address simulation a bit. But probably not much to address people embellishing injuries. It's going to happen. If it annoys you too much, don't watch. That's fine. The sport is the sport. It might change, but its not going to change for you. It would be silly to expect it to.

There are things I don't enjoy about the NFL. Or the NBA. Those things have an impact on whether I'm moved to continue watching the product or not. But they never move me to go into those threads and say, "hey, you know what the problem is with the NBA and the NFL?"

It happens every four years and its beyond tiresome. There are things FIFA could probably do to address simulation a bit. But probably not much to address people embellishing injuries. It's going to happen. If it annoys you too much, don't watch. That's fine. The sport is the sport. It might change, but its not going to change for you. It would be silly to expect it to.
You act like only people new to the sport are bothered by flopping. :lol:

I think you guys are about to solve the whole issue here, keep it up.

I have been educated some on the whole "flopping" thing by people in this adn the other soccer thread, and given some perspective. I think discussing it with new potential fans is good, though I do understand how the same question over and over must get frustrating.

Like RHE said there are things about all sports i do not like, they do not ruin the sport for me.

I do think, however, this is one of the stumbling blocks for many new people (in this country) getting into the sport as fans. They see it is a sign of weakness of the players, like soccer players are nancys who roll around where as hockey players play through anything. And one thing american sports fans don;t like if sports stars seen as weak or soft.

I believe the perception is false, and I think it is being overcome.

But I totally get why soccer fans are tired of the topic.

I think that's the point he's making. We all hate it and agree it should be stopped, so when the new folk keep rehashing the same old complaints over and over, it gets old. :shurg:
Sorry we're just realizing that it is what it is. Guess you can only complain if you do it right away. It's like writing "FIRST!" on the internet.

I have been educated some on the whole "flopping" thing by people in this adn the other soccer thread, and given some perspective. I think discussing it with new potential fans is good, though I do understand how the same question over and over must get frustrating.
the problem is that it is not a question B-Deep

It is always phrased as

"this is why soccer sucks":

"this is why the sport will never get big in the US"

"this is why American's hate it"

The way the exact same 4-5 posters have kept repeating the exact same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again is basically akin to trolling and has nothing to do with understanding.

It is is even more disgusting when they refuse to answer why they don't go into other sports threads and start #####ing about the problems in those sports.

Every sport has problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

The distinguishing factor I see with soccer when compared to NBA, NFL, MLB, etc. is that there has been a general theme since like 1980 that soccer is 1) the most popular sport in the world; 2) therefore the "best" sport in the world; 3) since it's the best, Americans are silly for not embracing it; and 4) America will wake up and pretty soon soccer will be a top sport. Heck, I remember being at a prestigious soccer camp when I was 12 and everyone there was trying to convince us to dedicate ourselves to soccer and to play it year round instead of multiple sports.

Yet, soccer never seems to make the "leap" in this country. While this may not be your specific sentiment, this fact nonetheless draws the cynical retort that Americans still "don't get it" or some sense like that. In that light, I think pointing out soccer's glaring flaw (which is also just, well, annoying and distasteful) is valid. I also would argue that none of the other "popular" sports has a similar glaringly annoying flaw.*

*baseball takes too long, basketball has too much scoring and the final minute takes too long, and football lends itself too much game-altering calls like random holdings and arbitrary PI calls.

The distinguishing factor I see with soccer when compared to NBA, NFL, MLB, etc. is that there has been a general theme since like 1980 that soccer is 1) the most popular sport in the world; 2) therefore the "best" sport in the world; 3) since it's the best, Americans are silly for not embracing it; and 4) America will wake up and pretty soon soccer will be a top sport. Heck, I remember being at a prestigious soccer camp when I was 12 and everyone there was trying to convince us to dedicate ourselves to soccer and to play it year round instead of multiple sports.

Yet, soccer never seems to make the "leap" in this country. While this may not be your specific sentiment, this fact nonetheless draws the cynical retort that Americans still "don't get it" or some sense like that. In that light, I think pointing out soccer's glaring flaw (which is also just, well, annoying and distasteful) is valid. I also would argue that none of the other "popular" sports has a similar glaringly annoying flaw.*
Soccer fans are just hipsters. That is all that you are describing.

It is always phrased as

The way the exact same 4-5 posters have kept repeating the exact same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again is basically akin to trolling and has nothing to do with understanding.

It is is even more disgusting when they refuse to answer why they don't go into other sports threads and start #####ing about the problems in those sports.

Please don't think this is what I'm trying to do here. I made my post with genuine good faith.

Yet, soccer never seems to make the "leap" in this country.
What would be "the leap" in your opinion?

Because more people in this country watched the USA/Portugal game than every other major sporting event except the Super Bowl.

I think soccer is significantly more popular today than it was say even 8 years ago. By every possible measurement. I don't know if you are just trying to bury your head in the sand or if this is just a case of being clueless outside of once every 4 years but your statement makes no sense considering the growth of the sport.

And please, baseball has more problems than every other sport combined. It is an utter and complete abortion. There is a reason that the demographics of baseball are aging so badly.

It is always phrased as

Please don't think this is what I'm trying to do here. I made my post with genuine good faith.
then answer the question.

Do you go into other sports threads and start complaining about all their issues non stop? If you do fine, if you don't, maybe it is worth considering giving the same consideration to soccer.

It is always phrased as

It is easier for him to preach from his soap box with generalizations. Any time someone says there was too much flopping in a particular game he takes at as an attack on the sport as a whole.

It is always phrased as

Do you go into other sports threads and start complaining about all their issues non stop? If you do fine, if you don't, maybe it is worth considering giving the same consideration to soccer.
I can't speak for Woz, but I know the reason I do it:

Because I AM trying to become a fan. I'm trying to understand the game and as I do, I'm starting to see (for the first time) issues with the game that seem awry. I'm sorry if other people who are bigger fans have pointed it out in the past. This is the first time I'm seeing it, so it's new to me.

But just because I mention that flopping is bad, that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the sport. It also doesn't mean that I'm not learning as I go. Don't condemn us just because we are discovering things about a sport new to us that you may have known about for many years.

*baseball takes too long, basketball has too much scoring and the final minute takes too long, and football lends itself too much game-altering calls like random holdings and arbitrary PI calls.
Basketaball's flopping is nearly as bad

basketball's star's blatantly getting calls going there way

hell basketball officiating is glaring

mlb's snails slow pace in both the game and evolving with the times is MORE glaring

twitch, scratch, flex, step in the batters box, pitcher waves off 4 signals, pitcher prepares for pitch batter steps out rinse repete....

after 6 of the batter hits a homerun, but do not celebrate, lord no

then catcher talks to pitcher

then all the fielders come in

then the manager comes in

then they send the picther moping off

then the new pitcher strolls in

then he warms up

then we finally restart with twitch, scratch, etc......

hockey's archaic fighting and cheap shot culture is as big of problem

i love the nfl so it is perfect :)

but yeah, other sports have these glaring problems

It is always phrased as

Because I AM trying to become a fan. I'm trying to understand the game and as I do, I'm starting to see (for the first time) issues with the game that seem awry. I'm sorry if other people who are bigger fans have pointed it out in the past. This is the first time I'm seeing it, so it's new to me.

But just because I mention that flopping is bad, that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the sport. It also doesn't mean that I'm not learning as I go. Don't condemn us just because we are discovering things about a sport new to us that you may have known about for many years.
But you have been complaining about this since the start of the world cup a month ago.

A month ago every one said they hated it but we are stuck with it.

Why keep repeating it? Are you trying to tell me that today was your very first complaint about diving because if you do I think you will easily be proven wrong by looking back in the thread.

I think most soccer fans don't give a crap about whether soccer becomes the next big thing in this country. It's plenty big enough for most of us. We can follow the game easily now. particularly compared to a decade or so ago. The cable networks are always going to show it because they need programming. We'll be fine.

I feel absolutely no obligation to grow the game in this country. If you like it, great. If you don't, great. Different strokes.

It is always phrased as

But you have been complaining about this since the start of the world cup a month ago.

A month ago every one said they hated it but we are stuck with it.

Why keep repeating it? Are you trying to tell me that today was your very first complaint about diving because if you do I think you will easily be proven wrong by looking back in the thread.
When did I ever say today was the first day I said it? :confused:

This is a message board and we're talking about soccer. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone by ruining their beautiful sport by adding my own two cents to the conversation.

Jesus Christ, lighten up people.

No homework in my son's class today because Germany won.

:lmao:
Now I am hearing it was a school wide thing.
No summer vacation in Germany?
6 weeks, Aug 1-Mid Sept in Bavaria.
Wait? You live in Bavaria? What city? Do you like it?

I've visited there once and loved it....thought it was beautiful.
Short CornerFootballguy

• Members
  • bullet_black.png
  • 5,817 posts
  • Joined 03-January 08

No homework in my son's class today because Germany won.

:lmao:
Now I am hearing it was a school wide thing.
No summer vacation in Germany?
6 weeks, Aug 1-Mid Sept in Bavaria.
Wait? You live in Bavaria? What city? Do you like it?

I've visited there once and loved it....thought it was beautiful.
Yeah, been here 6 years in a small town 20 km east of Munich called Zorneding. Love it here although the language is a #####.

No viewership numbers are in yet but the overnight ratings for the final were up 13% over the 2010 WC final over night rating.

That is a good early indication that this game will beat US Portugal as the most watched soccer game ever in the US. Could come up north of 26 million viewers.
The final was the most watched soccer game ever beating US Portugal from the first round of the tournament.

Total of 26.5 million viewers

17.4 million on ABC and 9.1 million on Univision

A bunch more viewed online as well.

No viewership numbers are in yet but the overnight ratings for the final were up 13% over the 2010 WC final over night rating.

That is a good early indication that this game will beat US Portugal as the most watched soccer game ever in the US. Could come up north of 26 million viewers.
The final was the most watched soccer game ever beating US Portugal from the first round of the tournament.

26.5 flopping apologists

26.5 flopping apologists
The problem is that they only show the Greg Louganis kind every four years. What are we supposed to do in-between?

No viewership numbers are in yet but the overnight ratings for the final were up 13% over the 2010 WC final over night rating.That is a good early indication that this game will beat US Portugal as the most watched soccer game ever in the US. Could come up north of 26 million viewers.

26.5 flopping apologists
The problem is that they only show the Greg Louganis kind every four years. What are we supposed to do in-between?
Nobody watches soccer except the World Cup. I know this is true because Dan Shaughnessy told me so.

NFL Game Length: 187 minutes; 11 minutes of live-ball play

NBA Game Length: 140 minutes; 48 minutes of live-ball play

NHL Game Length: 140 minutes; 60 minutes of live-puck play

Soccer Game Length: 112 minutes; ~68 minutes of live-ball play

"I'd watch soccer, but those guys waste too much time!"

It is always phrased as

Answer:

No. And I'm not doing that here. This is the first time I brought up flopping and I did so in a very generalized post initially written to try to become a better fan -- which I'd argue was for the big majority a positive post about soccer. Furthermore, while I do not believe other sports have distasteful "glitches" comparable to flopping, I would like to think if I were "new" to watching a sport like I am to soccer I would at least bring up a glitch one time like I have here.

It is always phrased as

This

Gah, American football really is the worst. Someone's gotta start illegally uploading action-only football games to the intertubes, I could knock out a whole NFL week in one evening.

Gah, American football really is the worst. Someone's gotta start illegally uploading action-only football games to the intertubes, I could knock out a whole NFL week in one evening.
I don't torrent NFL games but I am almost postive these are uploaded sans commercials.

I don't torrent NFL games but I am almost postive these are uploaded sans commercials.
The World Cup 720p is hovering 240GB at the moment.
Awesome :) . Is that all 64 games?
Yes it is. Some are more than one file though in order to put on hard drive/flash drive.

Oh yeah, on flopping. I get the "part of the game" argument. But from a casual observer who otherwise loves all sports, it really does make it tough to get into the sport.
I'd also like to add that if you are on the side of "it's part of the game", then please stop complaining about refs missing calls. You can't have it both ways.
not sure what you guys mean by "part of the game"... I don't think anybody advocates, excuses or accepts flopping in here.

That said, there's "flopping" (taking a dive), "embellishing" (using histrionics to sell a foul) and just "riding a tackle" (getting off your feet to avoid getting hurt when a tackle is coming in- which looks like flopping to a lot of lay-people, IMO). The first two are garbage to me, even though it appears to be more culturally accepted in continental Europe and Latin America. Unless you want players continuously hurt, get used to the last one and try your best to take note of the difference.

Of course the problem is that players will always do their best to ride the tackle- but will also often embellish on top of it. That might be the type of play that's "part of the game" that those of us who played a lot and/or watch a lot excuse more than the occasional viewer; since the foul has occurred, some are more ok with whatever the guy does afterwards to help sell it. I'm not, but there you go.

I will always complain when I see a ref miss a call- especially a big call.Why not? I don't see how it's having it both ways here. I will also complain if players mess up. Or embellish. Basically, I'm just a complainer.
This is a totally fair way to view this. And please don't interpret my initial statement to be singling out anyone in here.
I didn't.... but thanks for clarifying.

Just a take away from football and futbol. It is safer to fall to the ground than it is to try to stay on your feet if/when tripped up. How many knee problems, leg issues, ankle issues and foot issues are had from football players not falling to the ground after losing their balance? We always hear on tv, "he needs to catch his feet and keep moving." Yeah, well, that opens the player up to injury, head hits because he is not running the way he is meant to run and so on.

How many fewer injuries would NFL players have if they "fell to the ground" each and every time? I bet there would be much fewer however the perception of that player will be that "he is soft" or "he plays like that Sam guy" or "if you want that big contract, you have to stay on your feet."

There is no doubt in my mind that perception trumps injury in many American sports because "being the big guy/girl" is what its all about in school. Lost that perception and American sports would be much different... like soccer. And, we see what kind of perception soccer has yet not many are out there playing it.

The final was the most watched soccer game ever beating US Portugal from the first round of the tournament.Total of 26.5 million viewers

26.5 flopping apologists
:bowtie:

Just a take away from football and futbol. It is safer to fall to the ground than it is to try to stay on your feet if/when tripped up. How many knee problems, leg issues, ankle issues and foot issues are had from football players not falling to the ground after losing their balance? We always hear on tv, "he needs to catch his feet and keep moving." Yeah, well, that opens the player up to injury, head hits because he is not running the way he is meant to run and so on.

How many fewer injuries would NFL players have if they "fell to the ground" each and every time? I bet there would be much fewer however the perception of that player will be that "he is soft" or "he plays like that Sam guy" or "if you want that big contract, you have to stay on your feet."

There is no doubt in my mind that perception trumps injury in many American sports because "being the big guy/girl" is what its all about in school. Lost that perception and American sports would be much different... like soccer. And, we see what kind of perception soccer has yet not many are out there playing it.
I don't think anybody takes issue with soccer players falling on the ground. That isn't nearly the same as the theatrical flopping/embellishing we're discussing.

I also think comparing it to football is completely distinguishable. In football there is a recognizable gain for staying on one's feet. There isn't such a gain in soccer when falling and losing one's balance but stumbling upright both essentially result in a loss of possession. Similarly, a sport like baseball encourages sliding and diving for balls and nobody rips on hockey bails when they bail out after contact or in lieu with hitting the boards. Heck, even in basketball guys like Steve Nash and Allen Iverson have been revered for hustle yet they were always on the ground.

. And, we see what kind of perception soccer has yet not many are out there playing it.
I think I missed the point. Soccer is a fairly high participation sport in the US. And it is not just at the youth level any more as adult leagues having been growing quite nicely the last decade or so.

Users who are viewing this thread