What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2014 World Cup Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Did we get points for the Belgium result in terms of FIFA points?

-QG
no
No points for a draw? FIFA's rankings suck.
Final results only - not 90

Basically a win multiplies the total points by 1, a draw by 0.5, and a loss by 0 (so no points for a loss)
Actually it's multiplied by 3 for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss. I'm pretty sure that those that end in a draw and go to PKs are calculated as a draw for both teams.

Did we get points for the Belgium result in terms of FIFA points?

-QG
no
No points for a draw? FIFA's rankings suck.
Final results only - not 90Basically a win multiplies the total points by 1, a draw by 0.5, and a loss by 0 (so no points for a loss)
Actually it's multiplied by 3 for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss. I'm pretty sure that those that end in a draw and go to PKs are calculated as a draw for both teams.
PK winners get a 2 multiple, losers get a 1 multiple.

M: Points for match result

Teams gain 3 points for a victory, 1 point for a draw and 0 points for a defeat. In a penalty shoot-out, the winning team gains 2 points and the losing team gains 1 point.

M: Points for match result

Teams gain 3 points for a victory, 1 point for a draw and 0 points for a defeat. In a penalty shoot-out, the winning team gains 2 points and the losing team gains 1 point.
This difference bumps up the totals for Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil and Costa Rica.

This shows the Ranking prior to the tournament, the country, total points earned, in this many matches, average per match

Code:
 2	Germany	        13624.40	7		1946.3415	Netherlands	12311.84	7		1758.83 5	Argentina	11454.16	7		1636.31 3	Brazil	         8095.68	7		1156.53 8	Colombia	 7987.92	5		1597.5828	Costa Rica 	 7612.00	5		1522.4011	Belgium	         7459.44	5		1491.8917	France	         6313.92	5		1262.7814	Chile	         4612.16	4		1153.04 7	Uruguay	         4572.00	4		1143.0020	Mexico	         4458.08	4		1114.52 6	Switzerland	 3851.52	4		 962.8812	Greece	         2961.84	4		 740.4644	Nigeria	         2688.08	4		 672.0226	Ecuador	         2495.52	3		 831.8413	USA	         2466.16	4		 616.54 4	Portugal	 2340.40	3		 780.13 9	Italy	         2280.00	3		 760.0022	Algeria	         2098.40	4		 524.6021	Bosnia-H	 1620.24	3		 540.0823	Ivory Coast	 1589.28	3		 529.7618	Croatia	         1486.08	3	 	 495.36 1	Spain	         1424.16	3		 474.7219	Russia	         1104.24	3		 368.0837	Ghana	          792.00	3		 264.0046	Japan	          752.00	3		 250.6757	South Korea	  724.00	3		 241.3310	England	          605.44	3		 201.8143	Iran	          536.64	3		 178.8833	Honduras	    0.00	3		   0.0056	Cameroon	    0.00	3		   0.0062	Australia	    0.00	3		   0.00

Before this thread dies I just wanted to get my opinion out there about how well I thought Schurrle played during the WC. His goal against Algeria was spectacular yet passed with little notice, it seemed.

Before this thread dies I just wanted to get my opinion out there about how well I thought Schurrle played during the WC. His goal against Algeria was spectacular yet passed with little notice, it seemed.
oh yeah, he excelled with consistent playing time in that super-sub role :thumbup:

BTW, non-basketball fans show up in during the NCAA tournament and NBA playoffs every year to complain about flopping. It's not something unique to the soccer threads here. Or check out the Olympics threads to see boo-birds ##### about flaws in sports they don't follow year-round.
Curling will never make it in the US until they do something about all the hog rolls in the free guard zone.

Here are the latest FIFA rankings which include the WC gameshttp://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/
Algeria drops two positions :shrug:
Same as US. They only had 1 wn in 4 games (same as US) and their win only came against an Asian opponent (similar to US only beating an African team).
It does illustrate the problems with a quantitative results-based system. Algeria arguably threatened Germany more than any other opponent in the tournament and looked much better against Belgium than the USA did. But the bottom line numbers say 1-1-2.

I think you're referring to more teams doing this?

[FULL VERSION] Moyes crossing tactic Manchester U: http://youtu.be/zkiKcazMsTY
:doh: MOYES OUT!

One area I would love to see coaches try and be more creative on is set pieces. I don't mean one out of every 10 try something different, but better than the 1 out of every 100 we probably see now, instead of the "pump it into the box and hope"

There were two creative set pieces in the WC that stand out for me

1) The US's sweet little interplay in the Belgium game that almost tied the game

2) The "fake" corner that the linesman screwed up. For those that missed this, this is how it went down (I think it was Colombia that tried it).

a) player A slowly jogs towards corner and sets up to take it.

b) player B calls him off saying he will take it instead and jogs toward player A

c) player A casually touches the ball forward saying "ok here you go take it" and jogs into box

d) just before player B gets to ball he looks over shoulder and saw no defender

e) player B immediately picks up the live ball and dribbles unimpeded right into the box

Unfortunately the linesman called it back not realizing that Player A had correctly already taken the corner.
I loved the fake corner and was so pissed the ref blew it. We pulled it off in a youth tournament in 92 but our coach told the lineman and ref before hand we might try it. Was awesome.

This is as dumb as the NFL not allowing people to say Super Bowl.

HOCKENHEIM, Germany -- Formula 1 drivers' championship leader Nico Rosberg has had to ditch plans to put an image of the World Cup trophy on his helmet for the upcoming German Grand Prix following a complaint from FIFA.

The German driver wanted to celebrate his country's World Cup win with a specially designed helmet that also featured the German colors.

FIFA reportedly complained that featuring the trophy on the helmet would breach its "intellectual property'' rights.

"We appreciate Nico Rosberg's desire to congratulate the German team and have therefore been in discussions with the Rosberg team, who have now found a solution whereby he will still be able to show his support for Germany without using FIFA's intellectual property in a commercial context,'' a FIFA spokesperson told The Associated Press on Thursday

"FIFA brands cannot be allowed to be shown on a commercially branded helmet.''

Rosberg will race instead with a modified helmet featuring four golden stars, one for each of Germany's World Cup wins.

"It's amazing that even a trophy has a trademark,'' Rosberg said on Thursday. "I was surprised but of course I understand. It's a pity because the helmet looked really cool with the trophy on top. It's been replaced by a big star. No one can take that away. The star belongs to us!''

The driver tweeted out his regrets over FIFA's decision, with a picture of the helmet he will wear now instead.

This is as dumb as the NFL not allowing people to say Super Bowl.

HOCKENHEIM, Germany -- Formula 1 drivers' championship leader Nico Rosberg has had to ditch plans to put an image of the World Cup trophy on his helmet for the upcoming German Grand Prix following a complaint from FIFA.

The German driver wanted to celebrate his country's World Cup win with a specially designed helmet that also featured the German colors.

FIFA reportedly complained that featuring the trophy on the helmet would breach its "intellectual property'' rights.

"We appreciate Nico Rosberg's desire to congratulate the German team and have therefore been in discussions with the Rosberg team, who have now found a solution whereby he will still be able to show his support for Germany without using FIFA's intellectual property in a commercial context,'' a FIFA spokesperson told The Associated Press on Thursday

"FIFA brands cannot be allowed to be shown on a commercially branded helmet.''

Rosberg will race instead with a modified helmet featuring four golden stars, one for each of Germany's World Cup wins.

"It's amazing that even a trophy has a trademark,'' Rosberg said on Thursday. "I was surprised but of course I understand. It's a pity because the helmet looked really cool with the trophy on top. It's been replaced by a big star. No one can take that away. The star belongs to us!''

The driver tweeted out his regrets over FIFA's decision, with a picture of the helmet he will wear now instead.
To the lay person it is dumb - to the Patent/Trademark lawyer, it is the only way to protect the rights in the trademark - I think an argument can be made (I never did patent/trademark stuff), if you do not defend your trademark from other commercial uses, you could lose the right to defend it against any commercial uses. So, it becomes an all or nothing proposition.

Users who are viewing this thread