What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2015 College Football Thread *** (1 Viewer)

BYU has a similar ####ed up code where women who report rape will likely get expelled for violation.  Cool religion, guys.
Do you have any idea at all how incorrect you are? That statement could not be further from the truth.

To clarify, those stories came out and national news ran with it.  When you dig into what really happened, the students were in no way disciplined for being assaulted or even reporting it.  They admitted to voluntary use of drugs and/or alcohol, which are violations.  The Honor Code in no way would punish anyone for being assaulted.  That goes against everything it does stand for.  Sure, there is deviancy there like anywhere else, but there is no rape culture, nor any systemic abuse in that way.

Timing of it all?  Yes, I would say that was an issue in these instances and there have been steps made to right the ship, so to speak.  You don't kick a person when they are down, especially in such a terrible and despicable way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any real chance Baylor gets the death penalty here?  I think they're plenty deserving of it, but don't know if the NCAA will actually ever pull the trigger on that again. 

Do you have any idea at all how incorrect you are? That statement could not be further from the truth.

To clarify, those stories came out and national news ran with it.  When you dig into what really happened, the students were in no way disciplined for being assaulted or even reporting it.  They admitted to voluntary use of drugs and/or alcohol, which are violations.  The Honor Code in no way would punish anyone for being assaulted.  That goes against everything it does stand for.  Sure, there is deviancy there like anywhere else, but there is no rape culture, nor any systemic abuse in that way.

Timing of it all?  Yes, I would say that was an issue in these instances and there have been steps made to right the ship, so to speak.  You don't kick a person when they are down, especially in such a terrible and despicable way.
That is a deterrent to reporting rape. Which seems to support a rape culture, intended or not.

That is a deterrent to reporting rape. Which seems to support a rape culture, intended or not.
So, in order to attend BYU you have to sign the Honor Code, which says if you do certain things, then there can be disciplinary action.  Included in this is drug and alcohol use.  I signed it and understood what it means.  I do not see any deterrent to reporting there if I have entered into a voluntary agreement to attend a private university that is heavily subsidized by a church.Rape or not, you do those things.  You do those things, you know the consequences.  That said, there is no history of protecting anyone that has assaulted anyone.  They are kicked out and exposed to the law as you would be anywhere.  I feel terrible for anyone that has endured such an event - I counseled and worked with 2 teenage girls that were sexually assaulted while I was bishop and cannot explain the rage and frustration I felt on the outside and can only imagine how the families felt - but I personally do not see how the Honor Code promotes the culture, but that is me.  :shrug:

So his statement should have read "BYU has a code where women who report rape and had consumed alcohol/drugs preceding the incident will likely get expelled for violation."

Is that factually correct? Or do they waive these "violations" when such an incident has taken place?

So his statement should have read "BYU has a code where women who report rape and had consumed alcohol/drugs preceding the incident will likely get expelled for violation."

Is that factually correct? Or do they waive these "violations" when such an incident has taken place?
Expulsion would only occur, frankly, after a few incidents.  One of the women that said she got kicked for reporting rape also reported a few incidents of drug and alcohol use as well as consensual sex that all happened in the weeks before her report, but it was the rape that did it for sure. :rolleyes:   Again, rape is never OK anywhere, but to say it is the Honor Code that causes it is, in my mind, ridiculous.

How incorrect am I?

Students at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, operated by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, are accusing administrators of using its strict code of conduct against sexual assault victims.

The Mormon school is the largest religious university in America, and its students must adhere to a rigid “Honor Code” that mandates living a “chaste and virtuous life,” “clean language” and abstaining from alcohol and coffee, among other things.

In other words, premarital sex is not allowed.

The honor code has long been an essential part of campus life, but some students say that disciplinary procedures surrounding the regulations can keep sexual assault victims silent.

Madi Barney, 20, told the Huffington Post and the Salt Lake Tribune that she filed a Title IX complaint against BYU with the Department of Education on Monday.

The suit alleges that BYU put Barney on academic hold after they learned that she reported an off-campus rape to the local police in September.

Her accused rapist, 39-year-old, Nasir Seidu, has been charged with undressing her and partaking in sexual intercourse without Barney’s consent. He has told police the sex was consensual.

The Washington Post does not generally identify victims of sexual offenses, but the individual in this case has chosen to go public with her story.

According to HuffPo, Utah County Deputy Sheriff Edwin Randolph, a former women’s track coach at the school, then passed the incident’s police file on to the university, which proceeded to launch an Honor Code investigation against Barney.

“We have received information that you have been a victim of behavior that is addressed in the university Sexual Misconduct Policy,” a BYU Title IX coordinator wrote to Barney, the Tribune reported. “We have also received information that you have engaged in behavior that violates the BYU Honor Code.”

Barney’s attorney advised her not to partake in the honor code investigation because it could impact her criminal case. When she refused the school’s request, Barney said, BYU blocked her from both registering and withdrawing from classes.

“Dealing with this hostile environment has been upsetting, re-victimizing, and discouraging, to say the least,” Barney wrote on a petition with more than 87,000 signatures. “It’s clear to me that BYU is not on my side.”

Her petition calls on BYU to give immunity to sexual assault victims so that they can come forward about their experiences without fear that it will prompt a separate investigation into their own behavior.

Other students spoke to the Tribune about similar encounters with the Honor Code Office.

“My case is not unique,” Barney wrote on her petition page. “Women have been put on probation and even kicked out of school for circumstances of their rapes and sexual assaults.”

She said she initially hesitated to report her rape because she feared that it would threaten her standing at BYU.

In statement on Tuesday, BYU President Kevin Worthen recognized the “inherent tension” between the school’s Title IX and Honor Code policies.

“A victim of a sexual assault will never be referred to the Honor Code Office for being a victim of sexual assault,” Worthen said. “Sometimes in the course of an investigation, facts come to light that a victim has engaged in prior Honor Code violations.”

Barney told HuffPo that the school has not informed her of which rule she allegedly broke.

BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins told NBC News that while the university could not comment on Barney’s specific case, “I can assure you that we would never put a hold on a student’s registration because she reported her rape to the police.”

The Department of Education has not confirmed whether it received Barney’s Title IX complaint because it only acknowledges complaints for which investigations have been launched.

The incident has generated a major controversy in Utah, with front page coverage and an editorial in the Salt Lake Tribune critical of the handling of this and other cases. “Without intending to, BYU has given rapists an advantage,” said the Tribune editorial. “If a woman has crossed any of these lines, she faces a different dynamic with a potential assailant, who can essentially say, ‘I’m doing this, and if you tell anybody, we’re both going down.'”

BYU, it said, “has prospered as a university committed to strict standards of morality, and the honor code is the manifestation of that. The school backs up that commitment to students and their parents when it investigates and disciplines students for violating the code. But when a woman has suffered one of the most violent and brutal crimes imaginable, her life is already turned upside down. It is simply not defensible to make her fear the end of her college career if she speaks up so another woman won’t suffer the same fate.”

Mad Cow said:
Expulsion would only occur, frankly, after a few incidents.  One of the women that said she got kicked for reporting rape also reported a few incidents of drug and alcohol use as well as consensual sex that all happened in the weeks before her report, but it was the rape that did it for sure. :rolleyes:   Again, rape is never OK anywhere, but to say it is the Honor Code that causes it is, in my mind, ridiculous.
If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious about the culture at BYU. Is pre-marital consensual sex against the Honor Code also? Even though drugs/alcohol/sex are against the HC, do they still exist (in significant quantities)? On campus? Off? What about away from campus (like spring break, if students do something like that)?

I wonder how much it switches once the hillbilly schools had to take on black players. 

Jovon Robinson, starting RB for Auburn, kicked off the team....and maybe the school.  Not much in the way of details at the moment.  Point being call a bookie, setup a sports.ag account, do something and bet everything, and I do mean everything on Auburn under future.

Jovon Robinson, starting RB for Auburn, kicked off the team....and maybe the school.  Not much in the way of details at the moment.  Point being call a bookie, setup a sports.ag account, do something and bet everything, and I do mean everything on Auburn under future.
Bad time for Barber to leave early for the NFL and Thomas to transfer.  @ffldrewhere was already predicted 5-6 wins...does this impact that much really?

Clemson is really going to put a hurt on your boys GB

Any gamblers in here (I'm not), but someone said Bovada has Miss State win total set at 9.5.  While there is never a sure bet....I would be absolutely floored if we win 10 games this year. 

Kerryon Johnson was the #4 RB prospect in his class and they have a stable of RB's behind him.   There is a few reasons to think War Eagle won't get to 9 wins but the loss of Robinson isn't one of them IMHO.

Any gamblers in here (I'm not), but someone said Bovada has Miss State win total set at 9.5.  While there is never a sure bet....I would be absolutely floored if we win 10 games this year. 
I think that is wrong, it's Ole Miss they have at 9.5. 

I agree with you, no way we win 10 games this year. I got excited and ready to bet it immediately because it was also at +140 to take the under. Then I saw it was Ole Miss. 

If you can get them to take a bet of under 9.5 you should mortgage your house and raid your 401K and bet half in the under......

then go to Vegas or another website and put the other half of the over 6.5 most are offering.

i think your confusing Ole Miss and Miss St.

Iowa over 8.5 was my win total projection du jor.

The Ref said:
Kerryon Johnson was the #4 RB prospect in his class and they have a stable of RB's behind him.   There is a few reasons to think War Eagle won't get to 9 wins but the loss of Robinson isn't one of them IMHO.
They have exactly one RB on the roster who has ever carried a ball in a D1 game, and he's coming off surgery and missed all of spring practice.  There is no stable of running backs, there's a lot of unproven freshmen and sophmores.

But there's a stable of them, amirite?
There's also a lot of horse poop in a stable.

Auburn has no QB , rookie WRs including true freshmen who are injured, no proven RBs now and another Carl Lawson injury away from having LSU setting the all time rushing record in a game. Other than that it's all good.  WDE

Whatever. I don't get the point of any poll before October.

I guess the networks love it so they can say "Next week on CBS,the tenth-ranked Tennessee Volunteers host #25 Florida" .

The Ref said:
If you can get them to take a bet of under 9.5 you should mortgage your house and raid your 401K and bet half in the under......

then go to Vegas or another website and put the other half of the over 6.5 most are offering.

i think your confusing Ole Miss and Miss St.

Iowa over 8.5 was my win total projection du jor.
I think Bovada confused them...any bets that were made on it have been voided. 

Users who are viewing this thread