What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count (1 Viewer)

Classic. You're trolling me but it's my fault I guess because I'm a redskins fan.
ohhhhhh....so that's what all this trollery is about

studies show the old woman living next to me caused my crops to fail

ima write an article about it and put it on the internetz

I heard murray fumbled the pen at the contract signing. twice.

In all honesty chip has some balls pulling a carolina panthers with his backfield in a passing based era, murray and matthews are both damn good players but defense can just stack the box and its on bradford to riley cooper to move the chains. ZBS makes stars out of journeyman and undrafted free agents so its a huge gamble paying these guys instead of grabbing a crowell or oliver but we all saw the steelers debacle in the playoffs scrambling for a warm body to hand off to.

Is there enough cap left to grab a wr like shorts or crabtree so the wr core isnt completely desolate when the season rolls around? Or is it all in on drafting rookie wrs and hoping one of them can start on the outside.
I wouldn't mind seeing them land Crabtree. That being said, Jordan Matthews is going to be their best receiver next year. I see a huge breakout year for him. I think Chip does too.

Not trying to troll I'm genuinely curious as to what Eagles fans think. Are any of you worried that the moves to this point look and feel like something Washington would do?

I think the McCoy trade was great for you guys and letting Maclin walk was the right call.

Bradford trade is odd, and Murray's volume of work behind a very good O-Line would be a concern.
Keep in mind this is the first off-season Kelly has purged the team from inherited players, which is what a lot of head coaches do when they take over a team. He played his 1st two seasons mainly with Andy Reid players (a team that went 12-20 in Reid's final 2 years).

Granted its a lot of turnover in 1 offseason, but you can see the logic in the players he's replaced. Kelly runs a shotgun offense and McCoy didn't like it and was publicly critical of it. So Kelly replaced him with the #1 & #2 RBs (in yds/carry) from the shotgun last year. Players that fit what he does.
But you see, that's where I disagree. While you're right coaches like to get "their guys" on the team but I can't think of another situation where a coach shipped off such a young talented nucleus like Chip has. McCoy, Jackson and Maclin were productive before he got there and even MORE productive in his offense. Not even mentioning Foles. To most outsiders it's just baffling. That's the main reason I've posted in this thread and it's not because I'm trolling. I'm fascinated by the whole thing.
Well like said about McCoy, he didn't like running from the shotgun and Chip runs the shotgun something like 95% of the time. He brought in the top 2 from the 'gun.
One thing about that is that Murray did it 35 times and Mathews 32. Shady did it 219 times. It is possible that some of Mathews' and Murray's runs were 3rd and longs and whatnot. I would assume that Chip knows the context, but it's possible that this stat is a little overblown.

Not trying to troll I'm genuinely curious as to what Eagles fans think. Are any of you worried that the moves to this point look and feel like something Washington would do?

I think the McCoy trade was great for you guys and letting Maclin walk was the right call.

Bradford trade is odd, and Murray's volume of work behind a very good O-Line would be a concern.
Keep in mind this is the first off-season Kelly has purged the team from inherited players, which is what a lot of head coaches do when they take over a team. He played his 1st two seasons mainly with Andy Reid players (a team that went 12-20 in Reid's final 2 years).

Granted its a lot of turnover in 1 offseason, but you can see the logic in the players he's replaced. Kelly runs a shotgun offense and McCoy didn't like it and was publicly critical of it. So Kelly replaced him with the #1 & #2 RBs (in yds/carry) from the shotgun last year. Players that fit what he does.
But you see, that's where I disagree. While you're right coaches like to get "their guys" on the team but I can't think of another situation where a coach shipped off such a young talented nucleus like Chip has. McCoy, Jackson and Maclin were productive before he got there and even MORE productive in his offense. Not even mentioning Foles. To most outsiders it's just baffling. That's the main reason I've posted in this thread and it's not because I'm trolling. I'm fascinated by the whole thing.
Well like said about McCoy, he didn't like running from the shotgun and Chip runs the shotgun something like 95% of the time. He brought in the top 2 from the 'gun.
One thing about that is that Murray did it 35 times and Mathews 32. Shady did it 219 times. It is possible that some of Mathews' and Murray's runs were 3rd and longs and whatnot. I would assume that Chip knows the context, but it's possible that this stat is a little overblown.
I didn't realize it was such a small sample size. However McCoy did complain about it and in his press conference tonight Murray mentioned how much he liked running from the shotgun.

He wants to run the ball. That much is obvious. I think he got frustrated last year that he couldn't get 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 on the ground. I expect heavy in offense line in the later rounds.
Assuming we add a free agent safety, I would like to see some combination of CB-WR-QB in the first three rounds, then multiple O-linemen with the later picks.

This was 24 minutes ago:

@973espn: The Philadelphia Daily News' @LesBowen reports a trade of Evan Mathis is "indeed close." Not sure where he's headed...
Why the Mathis move you think? Get younger on O-line and increase talent at WR or D?
I'm thinking money and age. I can't inagine we get anything more than a 5 for him
I thought the Mathis-for-Stills rumor was kind of LOL when I first read it but I'm warming to the idea.

If you don't think the Birds could fetch more than a 4th for Mathis (and you're probably right) then ... I'd probably rather have the guy at a position of need who's got 2 years' worth of tape that shows he at least belongs in the NFL (*cough* and isn't Josh Huff *cough*). It's not as though you're gonna be landing the next Megatron with the 120th-something pick in the draft anyway.
I'd be on board with a Stills-for-Mathis deal. Or perhaps Kenny Vaccaro? Heard he might be available. He got hurt last year, so, you know....

So what the hell's gonna happen tomorrow? I think I need a day off. It's Friday Chip, relax until Saturday.
I think they announce an extension for Bradford. They tear up his current deal and give him a 3 yr 32 Mil deal they can get out of after next year.

12 Mil signing bonus 2 Mil salary in '15

6 Mil gtd roster bonus 2 Mil salary in ;16

10 Mil salary in '17

(Just my spitballing)

This was 24 minutes ago:

@973espn: The Philadelphia Daily News' @LesBowen reports a trade of Evan Mathis is "indeed close." Not sure where he's headed...
Why the Mathis move you think? Get younger on O-line and increase talent at WR or D?
I'm thinking money and age. I can't inagine we get anything more than a 5 for him
I thought the Mathis-for-Stills rumor was kind of LOL when I first read it but I'm warming to the idea.

If you don't think the Birds could fetch more than a 4th for Mathis (and you're probably right) then ... I'd probably rather have the guy at a position of need who's got 2 years' worth of tape that shows he at least belongs in the NFL (*cough* and isn't Josh Huff *cough*). It's not as though you're gonna be landing the next Megatron with the 120th-something pick in the draft anyway.
Kenny Vaccaro?
Came here to suggest that very name. Would require more from the Eagles. Mathis and a 2?

@MattLombardo975: I'd expect the next shoe (Sam Bradford extension) to drop very quickly. However, the ball is in his court. Likely $20-$25 mil. Guarantees.

So is Chip planning on using Sproles in the slot a whole lot more now?

And will we see more of Matthews and Murray in the backfield at the same time than we did McCoy/Sproles?
Yeah, one concern i have with these signings is how it may effect Sproles. I am not sure what the sell was to Sproles last year, but i think he has a lot of value on this team, and i hope they still incorporate him. i think they will cause he is talented and Chip doesn't seem like one to leave a resource on the sideline

In all honesty chip has some balls pulling a carolina panthers with his backfield in a passing based era, murray and matthews are both damn good players but defense can just stack the box and its on bradford to riley cooper to move the chains. ZBS makes stars out of journeyman and undrafted free agents so its a huge gamble paying these guys instead of grabbing a crowell or oliver but we all saw the steelers debacle in the playoffs scrambling for a warm body to hand off to.

Is there enough cap left to grab a wr like shorts or crabtree so the wr core isnt completely desolate when the season rolls around? Or is it all in on drafting rookie wrs and hoping one of them can start on the outside.
I wouldn't mind seeing them land Crabtree. That being said, Jordan Matthews is going to be their best receiver next year. I see a huge breakout year for him. I think Chip does too.
Me too, it is crazy to me, how people are just passing Matthews by, and saying Philly has nobody to throw to now. Jordan Matthews is a better prospect than D-Jax or Maclin were, and a better fit for Chip's system with his size, he had almost 900 yards and 8 TDs as a rookie, which is a great year, that was just overshadowed by historic rookie WR production out of Beckham and to a lesser extent Evans. I mean Matthews' final stats weren't all that different than Kelvin Benjamin's, and nobody is saying Carolina is screwed at WR, and they are in worse shape than Philly in my opinion.

Me too, it is crazy to me, how people are just passing Matthews by, and saying Philly has nobody to throw to now. Jordan Matthews is a better prospect than D-Jax or Maclin were, and a better fit for Chip's system with his size, he had almost 900 yards and 8 TDs as a rookie, which is a great year, that was just overshadowed by historic rookie WR production out of Beckham and to a lesser extent Evans. I mean Matthews' final stats weren't all that different than Kelvin Benjamin's, and nobody is saying Carolina is screwed at WR, and they are in worse shape than Philly in my opinion.
I agree with everything you said, but his role (we're told) is strictly as a slot receiver. They're weak on the outside. If Huff matures I could see him as a viable #2 but we'd still need a #1.

We do need Huff to mature. And that 2nd safety spot is a huge ?? right now, although we'll see after the draft. Maybe going single safety, 3 CB looks?

massraider said:
Insein said:
massraider said:
What an entertaining offseason by one team.
What an entertaining 5 days. Sheesh.
The move I really felt for sure is a mistake is letting Maclin go. If there are durability things we don't know about that the Eagles have concerns about, fine. But if it's just dollars, then I disagree with it. That contract is gonna look like a bargain within a year. The cap is going up 20 mill the next two years, and Maclin will be making WR2 numbers.
@GeoffMosherCSN: Chip said he went into FA with a dollar figure earmarked for each positio. Said # is flexible but actions clearly show he values RB over WR.
This obviously bull ####. Does anyone think the plan going into free agency was to dump McCoy and actually increase the money at the RB position? What if Gore had actually signed?
I can't tell if Chip goes into the pres conferences to troll the sports media or if he is a pathological liar, but i think he is not telling the truth on about 50% of the things he says. I'm not saying i hate that strategy because he can't let the world know his plans, but i think after these 2 days i take it all with a grain of salt. Saying he went into free agency only targeting 3 RBs, Gore, Murray and Mathews seems like a bit of b.s. to me

I agree with everything you said, but his role (we're told) is strictly as a slot receiver. They're weak on the outside. If Huff matures I could see him as a viable #2 but we'd still need a #1.
I'd be very surprised if Matthews was a slot WR only. Philly will add a WR or 2, but I'm just saying the cupbaord isn't bare. I also think Ertz is going to see a pretty significant increase in usage.

We do need Huff to mature. And that 2nd safety spot is a huge ?? right now, although we'll see after the draft. Maybe going single safety, 3 CB looks?
Playing as much cover 3 ad they do, one safety typically covers short near the linebackers. Since Nolan Carroll played dime linebacker last year, a transition for him might make sense. There's also Glass Body Wolfe and versatile Jaylen Watkins. Jerome Couplin and Chris Prosinski could also surprise. Special teams ace Chris Maragos is also still on the roster. If no one is drafted (I like Drummond and Rowe), we have options to try at safety #2.

Last edited by a moderator:

And will we see more of Matthews and Murray in the backfield at the same time than we did McCoy/Sproles?
Yeah, one concern i have with these signings is how it may effect Sproles. I am not sure what the sell was to Sproles last year, but i think he has a lot of value on this team, and i hope they still incorporate him. i think they will cause he is talented and Chip doesn't seem like one to leave a resource on the sideline
Sproles lined up wide a lot in NO but we didn't see that much last year. I could see a bit of Sproles running those WR screens, he and Brees had pretty good timing down on hitch routes as well. Get him the ball out wide in a 1:1 and see what happens. At worst it's 4-5 yards.

I'd be very surprised if Matthews was a slot WR only. Philly will add a WR or 2, but I'm just saying the cupbaord isn't bare. I also think Ertz is going to see a pretty significant increase in usage.
Hopefully this is the silver lining from losing Maclin, Ertz playing time goes up to about 80% from about 50%. I was wrong last year, this year will be the breakout year.

While I love to hype things whenever possible, I think the stat that we signed the "top two from the shotgun" is a bit of a stretch here.

That stat means something only because most teams that run from the shotgun are doign so on 3rd down and long, when they call a draw play and it rips off big chinks of yards but fails to get a 1st down. We see it all the time.

Saying someone runs well from the shotgun because their team does it when other teams aren't expecting it is quite a bit different than saying that same guy runs well from the shotgun because thats how the team runs the ball all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I love to hype things whenever possible, I think the stat that we signed the "top two from the shotgun" is a bit of a stretch here.

That stat means something only because most teams that run from the shotgun are doign so on 3rd down and long, when they call a draw play and it rips off big chinks of yards but fails to get a 1st down. We see it all the time.

Saying someone runs well from the shotgun because their team does it when other teams aren't expecting it is quite a bit different than saying that same guy runs well from the shotgun because thats how the team runs the ball all the time.
Well I didn't do the research myself, just going by what I've heard. But I do know McCoy didn't like it and Murray made a point of saying he did.

But you're right and as I said previously, its a small sample size. If McCoy didn't want to run from the 'gun, so be it. He's not a good fit for a team that lines in shotgun 95% of the time.

Yeah the whole Murray + OL thing is being overblown a bit. He did very well in 2013 when they're OL was "bad"
IIRC, PFF has the Dallas O Line rated #2 in the league for both 2013 & 2014. So, not so sure it was "bad",
Dallas overall ranked #4 in 2013 and #1 in 2014.

Philly ranked #1 in 2013 and #2 in 2014. BTW, Philly ranked #1 both years in run blocking. If it was possible, Murray might have actually found a better line for his running game.

When I'm feeling bored in a hum drum moment during the day, I can take consolation in the fact that somewhere out there, Chip is PLOTTING.

Def feel better about this now. Our running game is going to be crazy good. I do have concerns over Bradford and the wrs but we will see

Yeah the whole Murray + OL thing is being overblown a bit. He did very well in 2013 when they're OL was "bad"
IIRC, PFF has the Dallas O Line rated #2 in the league for both 2013 & 2014. So, not so sure it was "bad",

Philly ranked #1 in 2013 and #2 in 2014. BTW, Philly ranked #1 both years in run blocking. If it was possible, Murray might have actually found a better line for his running game.
I would definitely agree with that. Philly was #1 in run blocking both years and Dallas was #2. I just wanted to clarify that Dallas didn't have a "bad" line in 2013.

Sproles only touched the ball 93 times last season - I'm sure they could find that many touches for him again this season (if not more in the passing game).

I would definitely agree with that. Philly was #1 in run blocking both years and Dallas was #2. I just wanted to clarify that Dallas didn't have a "bad" line in 2013.
Fair enough. I think we can also dispel the notion that Murray went to a worse situation as well.

Fair enough. I think we can also dispel the notion that Murray went to a worse situation as well.
Agreed. I don't think I ever said that. I think for fantasy purposes his number could be about 80% of last year's. They will try to keep him fresh and no need to burn him up when they can rotate 2 other very good players in. Seems like that's what Chip wants to do anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread