What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official** 2015 Washington Redskins Thread YOU LIKE THAT! (1 Viewer)

Daggone it, I just got home and wouldn't you know it, the one game I miss and they pull out the win!

Can someone give me the 30 second run down of how we did it? Who lead the way -- running attack. passing, defense? I quickly looked at the box score and noted that Cousins had zero INTs. In our 2 wins, he's had no INTs; in our 2 losses, he had multiple.

Looks like there was no margin for error in this game either.

Glad you guys got to see a W...thanks in advance for any recaps in here!
1st half redskins dominated on both sides of the ball. Surprisingly they started with a lot of Thompson in the backfield and he excelled. Moved the ball but settled for FGs mostly. Not shockingly, special teams gave Sproles a huge run back before halftime which gave the eagles some points. 2nd half the same old redskins stuff. Seemed like Chip made adjustments and started airing it out and we stopped bringing pressure and the Eagles took the lead. Redskins started pounding the rock and Cousins dinked a lot but started pushing the ball down field more. Garcon looked like men among boys. Cousins marched down the field and won the game.

On a side note, an Eagles receiver caught the ball and trucked the Redskins safety I believe and they called a hitting a defenseless receiver penalty. I've never seen anything like that in my life of watching football.
Cousins legitimately had a good game. I still like the comparison to Rex Grossman, where today was good Kirk. He does not throw downfield as much as Rex, although I think a lot of that is by design.

The Eagle run defense is good. In the beginning, the Redskins got some decent runs. But after that, the Redskins could not run the ball.

Outside of that, the Eagles really aren't that good. The offense is frequently out of rhythm (polite to say they were bad). But they were able to connect on some plays in the 2nd half and that quickly became points.

In the 2nd half, the Redskins moved away from the run game, which was not working. And they were able to pass the ball pretty well. The last drive was primarily Cousins passing the ball and slowly moving the team until they scored.

Kirk Cousins has now thrown for as many TDs this year as Robert Griffin did in all 9 games Griffin played in the 2014-2015 season.

I thoroughly enjoyed that last drive. They started on their own 10 I think, and 14 or 18 or someteen plays later they scored. Started off with some runs with Morris getting them out of the hole. Cousins looked good, made no fatal mistakes and got the ball where he had to. I don't remember any penalties on the drive. And with less than 2 minutes left it was Garcon getting everyone to hurry the F up, which they've had such trouble doing for years. Garcon made some very tough, contested catches.

It was the oddest feeling. They came from behind and won, a division game too. After the game I notice the water now circles the other way when it goes down my drains. It all feels like bizarro world.

Crowder really played well. Cousins played well. Spencer Long didn't embarrass himself -- I never heard his name all day. The Eagles offensive line is just bad; the Skins pressured Bradford all day and he began reacting to pressure before it was actually there. Skins kicker is quite good so far.

Perry Riley was inactive. Was he hurt or just benched for bad pass coverage? Anyone know?

Reed has a concussion, so things are normal on that front.

Riley's been hurt. He was out last week too.

Crowder led the team in targets today, according to someone tweeting this evening. I think they're done with Roberts.

And I think Jackson should be returning soon. I wonder if the Eagles would have handled the run that well today if Jackson was on the field.

Andre Roberts inactive.
Is Roberts healthy? I did not hear of any issues.

It is pretty big news if Roberts is a healthy inactive.
Roberts was healthy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/20349/chris-culliver-active-andre-roberts-inactive-for-redskins

They just want Crowder on the field. And I don't blame them for that. He gets open, he catches the ball, and he doesn't seem baffled about what to to.
Yup. And I'm all for it. Never been a fan of Roberts and any good plays he's made have been more than offset by his negatives. Dude is good for at least one drop a game.

Today's game would have to be the best of Gruden's tenure to me. They responded well to adversity and I really like how they stuck with the run on the last drive. Cousins avoided the big mistakes, as did the whole team (even though I just knew Sproles was taking that punt to the house),

I'm not getting too excited but like I said, I wanted this win and I don't think Philly is good. For a change, I have nothing negative to say about the Skins this week. Instead its my damn FF teams that are making me lose sleep.

Well, I do think there are still negatives. Penalties are still a problem. D doesn't force turnovers. And the safeties were burned deep twice for TDs.

But, too often, those problems meant a loss. Today they still won.

Andre Roberts inactive.

Roberts was healthy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/20349/chris-culliver-active-andre-roberts-inactive-for-redskins

They just want Crowder on the field. And I don't blame them for that. He gets open, he catches the ball, and he doesn't seem baffled about what to to.
Crowder is impressive, always seems open. What round was he drafted?

3rd down RB was as well, never watched him before.

That last drive was great. Other than that I think Gruden completely blew the 2nd half like he normally does.

Really bummed about Reed. Don't can catch anything except a break. Hate seeing concussions. Hope it's a minor one and he is ok.

Well, I do think there are still negatives. Penalties are still a problem. D doesn't force turnovers. And the safeties were burned deep twice for TDs.

Oh there are plenty of negatives for sure. Long way to go before this franchise is even on solid footing. I just dont want to think about them this week.

Andre Roberts inactive.

Roberts was healthy.

Crowder is impressive, always seems open. What round was he drafted?

3rd down RB was as well, never watched him before.
4th round. I think he can be an effective slot WR in this league long term. I like him much better than Roberts already and he has to be at least 1/3 the cost.

No, definitely not good posting, especially not the bolded. VaTerp, you're a relatively recent addition to the Forums (2009). I honestly don't know how long you've populated, read or posted in the Yearly Team Threads, so you just might not know that when I make the time to post here, most of the time I'm bringing much more than my opinion to the discussion - instead, I bring facts/informed opinions coming from non-traditional sources: people I know to varying degrees, (some friends, some acquaintances), who either have worked for, or are currently working for, the Redskins, both on the Team/Locker Room side and the Office/Management side.

Time and time again, over the years, I've posted information here, as a favor, to enlighten the folks

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, that you just don't know any better, but regardless, your belligerent tone is really poor form, and completely unnecessary.
Dude, your patronizing attitude wore thin a year or more ago. You claim to be an inside, to know big things and important people, and all you ever do is repeat the same 2 things:

Dan Snyder is horrible.

Mike Shanhan was great.

Each year you're here less and less, while the people discussing actual gameplay and actual players and coaches on the field provide the real information and heart of this yearly thread. You just pop in once in awhile to talk down to the actual people who make this thread worthwhile. You're a lot less important to this thread than they are.

In past years people used to thank you for your "insight". But every year there's nothing new from you, just the same SnyderBad and ShanahanGood stuff, and each year your sense of your own importance differs more and more widely from the value of what you posts. You've added nothing for a couple years now.

And stop talking down to people in this topic who actually do have a lot to add.
as somebody who checks in more infrequently than NL, it is apparent to me what I am not missing when I do. lot of Snyder fanboys with little insight (dgreen excepting). some of the newer guys are just about intolerable. fatty, you must've missed your meds today. your reply to NL's well thought out post is everything you accuse him of - patronizing. With 80+ posts today, you really should focus on quality and not quantity. ol' pal buster

No, definitely not good posting, especially not the bolded. VaTerp, you're a relatively recent addition to the Forums (2009). I honestly don't know how long you've populated, read or posted in the Yearly Team Threads, so you just might not know that when I make the time to post here, most of the time I'm bringing much more than my opinion to the discussion - instead, I bring facts/informed opinions coming from non-traditional sources: people I know to varying degrees, (some friends, some acquaintances), who either have worked for, or are currently working for, the Redskins, both on the Team/Locker Room side and the Office/Management side.

Time and time again, over the years, I've posted information here, as a favor, to enlighten the folks

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, that you just don't know any better, but regardless, your belligerent tone is really poor form, and completely unnecessary.
Dude, your patronizing attitude wore thin a year or more ago. You claim to be an inside, to know big things and important people, and all you ever do is repeat the same 2 things:

Dan Snyder is horrible.

Mike Shanhan was great.

Each year you're here less and less, while the people discussing actual gameplay and actual players and coaches on the field provide the real information and heart of this yearly thread. You just pop in once in awhile to talk down to the actual people who make this thread worthwhile. You're a lot less important to this thread than they are.

In past years people used to thank you for your "insight". But every year there's nothing new from you, just the same SnyderBad and ShanahanGood stuff, and each year your sense of your own importance differs more and more widely from the value of what you posts. You've added nothing for a couple years now.

And stop talking down to people in this topic who actually do have a lot to add.
as somebody who checks in more infrequently than NL, it is apparent to me what I am not missing when I do. lot of Snyder fanboys with little insight (dgreen excepting). some of the newer guys are just about intolerable. fatty, you must've missed your meds today. your reply to NL's well thought out post is everything you accuse him of - patronizing. With 80+ posts today, you really should focus on quality and not quantity. ol' pal buster
I don't know who the Snyder fanboys are but since I'm referenced in the above quotes I will state for the record that I loathe Dan Snyder. I called the Sports Reporters back in 2004 and said on air that Snyder was the devil incarnate The long term dysfunction and lack of success over his time owning the Skins falls squarely on him above and beyond anyone else. And I've heard from several people among "my sources" that the rumors of him being an overall bad person are not only true, but don't even tell the story of how arrogant, insecure, and misguided a man he really is.

But that doesnt mean that Shanny is a blameless victim or that I believe all of NL's missives about Snyder, black QBs, and other things he thinks he's enlightening people with are 100% accurate or above questioning.

It seems to me that some people who post infrequently and then bless this board with their presence feel its their position to judge "newer guys" and their fellow Skins fans b/c....the internet I guess.

Aw well. I'll take the win this week and look forward to the blather on sports radio this week for a change.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wasn't it Culliver burned on both long TDs? Looked like his injuries were limiting him and the Eagles focused on him

Culliver was definitely hurting yesterday, yeah. And their whole secondary yesterday was a mess. Eagles receivers were open quite often and Bradford wasn't hitting them. The pass rush pressure caused that; after awhile Bradford was reacting to pressure before it appeared. He just seemed slow on decision-making in the pocket yesterday, and skittish.

Jackson said yesterday he's a week to a week and a half away from being back. If Reed's out next week we could see a boatload of targets for Crowder. Ross looked a little lost at WR yesterday which is understandable for a rookie. Crowder never looked lost though.

I hope Reed's back next week, but didn't he have a concussion 2 seasons ago that lingered for weeks and weeks at the end of the year? He'd pass all the tests, get to warmups, and then have symptoms again, and get scratched again. They're terribly weak at TE anyway.

The Atlanta game sets up as a blowout but I really can't think about that now. Victories have been so few around here that they're worth enjoying.

Injury report from Mike Jones, and it's not bad. He's become a pretty good beat reporter by the way.

"Reed has had an extensive injury history during his brief career, missing 12 games in his first two seasons because of knee and hamstring injuries, and a concussion. Reed missed the final six games of his rookie season because of ongoing concussion-related symptoms.

Otherwise, the Redskins were believed to have emerged from the game without serious injury. Linebacker Ryan Kerrigan briefly left the game with a hip pointer, but returned and recorded a sack on Philadelphia’s final possession.

Wide receiver Pierre Garcon left the game in the fourth quarter with a knee sprain. But he returned and had three catches and a touchdown, which wound up lifting his team to victory.

Cornerback Chris Culliver played despite suffering from left knee, quad and groin soreness throughout the week. He finished the game but limped badly as he walked off the field following the final play.

Linebacker Trent Murphy suffered a hip contusion, but he returned to finish out the game with a sack and also caught the cross-field lateral attempted by Eagles wide receiver Nelson Agholor as Philadelphia’s players attempted a miraculous play with time expired."

We should compile a list of Doc Walker quotes and carry them over from season to season. My favorite one from this morning, paraphrased:

"An injured player as far as I'm concerned is deceased."

From Gruden press conference:

"We gave up a lead, had a lot of adversity in that game, and that’s something that we’ve been trying to talk about is overcoming it. I mean, we can’t control the penalties. We can’t control what happens in the football game. We can control our effort, and how long we can sustain our effort. A group of men playing together for 60 minutes can overcome a lot of adversity, and some guys making big-time plays in big-time situations. You know I’m proud of each and every one of those guys, they fought their tails off until the end."

I appreciate the Coach praising perseverance and tenacity, but "we can't control the penalties." Seriously? Dude, that is one of my top three things holding us back from being "mediocre" to "decent"

1. Turnovers

2. Penalties

3. Coming out awake in the 3rd quarter.

Unlike many, I am actually willing to give Gruden a chance, but please dude, don't say we can't control penalties...

ETA: I didn't see the game, so maybe I'm looking at this out of context. Is it possible that Gruden is saying that we got royally shafted on several calls and that is what we cannot control...just have to shake it off and move on?

Wasn't it Culliver burned on both long TDs? Looked like his injuries were limiting him and the Eagles focused on him
To my untrained eye, he was supposed to have safety help and both long TDs involved the safeties allowing receivers behind them. Culliver didn't practice all week. I doubt the coaches put him in a situation where he had to run with a receiver deep without any help.

Nice to get a big division win, at home no less!

Still annoyed with all the penalties and the lack of adjustments in the 2nd half. We completely dominated that game in the 1st half and gave it all away in the 2nd half. I'm not sure what they do at half time, but it's been horrible through the 1st 4 weeks.

Can't believe we're sitting at 2-2 through the 1st 4 weeks. Definitely didn't see that happening and have been pleased with the defense so far outside of the Giants game.

ETA: I didn't see the game, so maybe I'm looking at this out of context. Is it possible that Gruden is saying that we got royally shafted on several calls and that is what we cannot control...just have to shake it off and move on?
There were two personal foul penalites (both on Robinson, I think) that they think were questionable. The first was a pass down the middle of the field and Robinson hit a defenseless receiver. In real time, I thought it was a legit penalty. Replay shows Robinson used his shoulder (not his helmet), but his shoulder was kind of close to the receiver's head/neck area. If it was a reviewable play, possibly could have been overturned. The other one was a play that involved no replays from Fox, so I'm not sure. Robinson and another defender sandwiched a receiver on a short pass. My guess is, again, the refs thought it was a hit to the head.

I believe both of those penalties were followed by Eagles TD passes.

There were two personal foul penalites (both on Robinson, I think) that they think were questionable. The first was a pass down the middle of the field and Robinson hit a defenseless receiver. In real time, I thought it was a legit penalty. Replay shows Robinson used his shoulder (not his helmet), but his shoulder was kind of close to the receiver's head/neck area. If it was a reviewable play, possibly could have been overturned. The other one was a play that involved no replays from Fox, so I'm not sure. Robinson and another defender sandwiched a receiver on a short pass. My guess is, again, the refs thought it was a hit to the head.

Obviously, it's just my opinion, but both of those calls were complete bunk, and really no different than the hit Garcon took on the game winning TD, and no flag was thrown there.

Any 15 yard penalty should be reviewable, IMO. Those can be game changers.

We should compile a list of Doc Walker quotes and carry them over from season to season. My favorite one from this morning, paraphrased:

Doc Walker and Brian Mitchell are incredibly difficult to listen to. Him going on today about how Culliver shouldn't have been playing was idiotic.

To my untrained eye, he was supposed to have safety help and both long TDs involved the safeties allowing receivers behind them. Culliver didn't practice all week. I doubt the coaches put him in a situation where he had to run with a receiver deep without any help.
I neither disagreeing with what you said, nor absolving the safeties from any blame on those TDs, but Culliver was badly burned by WRs that should not be badly burning him

I thought the first flag on Robinson was AWFUL. To me it looked like he was running toward the WR while the ball was in the air then just brace himself for the contact after the WR caught the ball and was coming toward him. He didnt really deliver a hit at all. And the contact was his shoulder and below the neck/head area of a WR who was lowering his head. I'm not sure what he is supposed to do there other than get out of the way.

The 2nd flag I won't argue with. The TE caught the ball with his feet of the ground and after he landed Robinson sort of launched himself to the head/neck area from the side. No reason to go high there and that's going to get called almost every time in today's NFL.

From Gruden press conference:

"We gave up a lead, had a lot of adversity in that game, and that’s something that we’ve been trying to talk about is overcoming it. I mean, we can’t control the penalties. We can’t control what happens in the football game. We can control our effort, and how long we can sustain our effort. A group of men playing together for 60 minutes can overcome a lot of adversity, and some guys making big-time plays in big-time situations. You know I’m proud of each and every one of those guys, they fought their tails off until the end."

I appreciate the Coach praising perseverance and tenacity, but "we can't control the penalties." Seriously? Dude, that is one of my top three things holding us back from being "mediocre" to "decent"

1. Turnovers

2. Penalties

3. Coming out awake in the 3rd quarter.

Unlike many, I am actually willing to give Gruden a chance, but please dude, don't say we can't control penalties...

Some penalties I understand since there were a few called yesterday that were questionable at best. But come on Gruden, the first play of the game resulted in an illegal formation penalty. That's absolutely something you should be controlling.

I neither disagreeing with what you said, nor absolving the safeties from any blame on those TDs, but Culliver was badly burned by WRs that should not be badly burning him
No he should have been able to cover both of those WRs. But with Hall out this team is incredibly thin at CB. I don't know who was active but I believe the only other option at CB was Dunbar who was activated from the Practice Squad this week. He looked lost on Special Teams.

One thing that was so refreshing to see was the DLs ability to create pressure, fairly consistently, with just a 4-man rush. That's like something real teams do.

No he should have been able to cover both of those WRs. But with Hall out this team is incredibly thin at CB. I don't know who was active but I believe the only other option at CB was Dunbar who was activated from the Practice Squad this week. He looked lost on Special Teams.
Good point. An injured Culliver may have simply been the best of a bunch of bad options.

Does anyone else have the feeling that The Eagles look like they are heading down the road of being pretty bad for a while?

Does anyone else have the feeling that The Eagles look like they are heading down the road of being pretty bad for a while?
I do. Think Kelly got too cute this offseason and it has cost them. He just made changes to make changes and it seems like none of them have worked out so far. Now he has an angry Murray. Will be interesting to see how they handle that going forward.

I do. Think Kelly got too cute this offseason and it has cost them. He just made changes to make changes and it seems like none of them have worked out so far. Now he has an angry Murray. Will be interesting to see how they handle that going forward.
Seems like he's in over his head. And doesn't seem like he can pick players too well. Those 10-6 teams were all done with Reid's players.

Seems like he's in over his head. And doesn't seem like he can pick players too well. Those 10-6 teams were all done with Reid's players.
He seems like he likes to tinker with the roster too much. Why did he feel the need to get rid of Jackson, McCoy and Foles? Those were the key pieces to their playoff run in 2012 and he got rid of all 3 of them within 2 seasons. And then, what was the point of bringing back Sanchez to turn around and trade for Bradford? Same with paying good money for Murray and then bring in Mathews, all while Sproles is still there. Their defense isn't terrible, but their offense is a mess.

I still think Kelly the coach seems to know what he's doing but Kelly the GM is clueless. It's like he totally underappreciates the talent he inherited. I can't think of a coach that was so quick to ship off productive players. And I am still baffled what he's done at running back. It made no sense to me get rid of McCoy's big contract only to bring in Murray's.

He seems like he likes to tinker with the roster too much. Why did he feel the need to get rid of Jackson, McCoy and Foles? Those were the key pieces to their playoff run in 2012 and he got rid of all 3 of them within 2 seasons. And then, what was the point of bringing back Sanchez to turn around and trade for Bradford? Same with paying good money for Murray and then bring in Mathews, all while Sproles is still there. Their defense isn't terrible, but their offense is a mess.
Plus they are super short on O-linemen. They got rid of two Guards this offseason. What a mess, it's like Vinny's up there making the moves.

Plus they are super short on O-linemen. They got rid of two Guards this offseason. What a mess, it's like Vinny's up there making the moves.
There are definitely some similarities to our past off season failures. You don't appreciate the guys that produce for you and then you let them walk to bring in big contract free agents. And then the guys you bring in never produce at the level of their pay checks. This upsets the locker room and ultimately the win column. Teams that are built this way don't succeed in the NFL.

Nice to get a big division win, at home no less!

Still annoyed with all the penalties and the lack of adjustments in the 2nd half. We completely dominated that game in the 1st half and gave it all away in the 2nd half. I'm not sure what they do at half time, but it's been horrible through the 1st 4 weeks.

Can't believe we're sitting at 2-2 through the 1st 4 weeks. Definitely didn't see that happening and have been pleased with the defense so far outside of the Giants game.
Can't blame coach. His work is done on Friday, so it's up to the players to make halftime adjustments. And we all know penalties are complete flukes. No way to control something like that.

Doc Walker and Brian Mitchell are incredibly difficult to listen to. Him going on today about how Culliver shouldn't have been playing was idiotic.
Mitchell and Lavar need to go get work in Philly and NY as far as I'm concerned.

ETA: and that Doc quote is hilarious.

One thing that was so refreshing to see was the DLs ability to create pressure, fairly consistently, with just a 4-man rush. That's like something real teams do.
I'm hoping that continues. We haven't seen it the first 3 games. I don't know if they were better yesterday, or if the Eagles O-line was just that bad, or both. But if they can keep it up it'll change games.

Baker had 2 sacks, Preston Smith had 1, and I think Murphy had 2 --- none from Kerrigan. I thought Baker played very well.

I'm hoping that continues. We haven't seen it the first 3 games. I don't know if they were better yesterday, or if the Eagles O-line was just that bad, or both. But if they can keep it up it'll change games.

Baker had 2 sacks, Preston Smith had 1, and I think Murphy had 2 --- none from Kerrigan. I thought Baker played very well.
Kerrigan got a sack on the last series of the game, I believe. At least a half of one.

Mitchell and Lavar need to go get work in Philly and NY as far as I'm concerned.

ETA: and that Doc quote is hilarious.
Every Monday morning after a game they have him on with Sheehan, Pollan, and Reed, and they're dying to hear him say something nuts like that. He seldom disappoints. Doc talking on Monday mornings is like testosterone, adrenalin, and the English language being shot out of a cannon.

Kerrigan got a sack on the last series of the game, I believe. At least a half of one.
Kerrigan also missed two other sacks. One of which resulted in a TD, Bradford is not known for being able to escape, Kerrigan could have had (and should have) 2 more sacks.

There are definitely some similarities to our past off season failures. You don't appreciate the guys that produce for you and then you let them walk to bring in big contract free agents. And then the guys you bring in never produce at the level of their pay checks. This upsets the locker room and ultimately the win column. Teams that are built this way don't succeed in the NFL.
Sounds like a team we know!

Redskins are on a pace to give up 20 sacks this year.

Now imagine Brandon Scherf and Morgan Moses with a year of experience under their belt.

The Eagles line is that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread