What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official** 2015 Washington Redskins Thread YOU LIKE THAT! (1 Viewer)

The division really looks to be trending in The Redskins favor too.

New York looks on the decline with Coughlin

With Romo getting hurt and Dallas collapsing Jerry Jones is still involved enough that he'll have a big say in their QB of the future. That's excellent for the rest of the division.

Philadelphia comes down to Chip, his GM moves are rough so far and if he continues as GM and continues neglecting the Lines and chasing big Free Agents they'll fall apart pretty quick
Re: the Giants -- they have to be the most dangerous team with a losing record I've ever seen in my life. I mean, I could see them imploding every game OR I could see them beating anyone and everyone and going on a Super Bowl tear. I think even more than other teams, the Giants should be kicking themselves this year. They really had the talent to complete against everyone and they just kind of squandered it.

Personally, I think as long as Eli is there, they should just roll with Coughlin. With this same exact team, just not doing boneheaded crap at the end of games, they are competing not only to get in the playoffs, but competing within the playoffs. However, I think when it's time to move on from Eli, it makes sense to turn the page with the coach as well. Though, I think Coughlin gets a bad wrap...he's won two SBs yet every year Giants fans call for him to be fired. If ownership had listened to Giants fans they never would have won their second SB with Eli -- as both Eli would have been cut and Coughlin fired!

LET THE BANDWAGON BEGIN!!!

people that have talked #### about the skins all year are rushing out to buy jerseys :no:

pick a team and stick with it :homer:
I work in DC and have always been Skins.

That said, I know folks around here who root for Dallas who have never set foot inside state of Texas. Bleh.

Funny how many New England fans I run into. Some are from NE area but most aren't.

It's a different era of watching football than I grew up with, when everyone rooted for the home team...
I don't think anything has changed. People have always loved winners, it's just that when we were growing up the local team was one of them, so the bandwagon types had no reason to defect.

Also a lot of the Dallas fans in the area (at least the black ones) adopted the team back in the day because of George Preston Marshall's racism. Can't really fault them for that, guy was a despicable human being.
Point well made...you are probably right I was blinded to it because I was rooting for a winner at that time along with bandwagoners. The intervening 20 years I have been carrying the water for this team has been the thing that is different. I am just too stubborn or too loyal to change allegiences, ever. It's the same with the Wizards, Caps and Nationals with me (though obviously, Nats are a young franchise...so I grew up rooting for the O's who I still follow as well). I remember rooting for the Bullets when they had Wes Unseld and Elvin Hayes, etc. and won a championship vs. the Seattle Supersonics! And boy have I lived through some low times with them since!

Last edited by a moderator:
What a difference a professional GM makes!
Sure, getting talented guys on the field helps, but the real turning point of the season was the 2nd half of the Tampa Bay game. They have had a winning attitude ever since You Like That, and I would say that was the moment that the rest of the team began to believe in Kurt.

people that have talked #### about the skins all year are rushing out to buy jerseys :no:

I got a lot of compliments in the stands yesterday on my rookie year Shaun Taylor jersey. More than usual when I wear it.

It didn't feel like the place was packed with bandwagoneers.

Sure, getting talented guys on the field helps, but the real turning point of the season was the 2nd half of the Tampa Bay game. They have had a winning attitude ever since You Like That, and I would say that was the moment that the rest of the team began to believe in Kurt.
In years past EJ Biggers would still be here because he " knows the system" or some such BS. Instead McCloughan gets rid of him and brings in Blackmon who's played well. That winning attitude is great and I like seeing it in the players but I think that attitude started with McCloughan really changing the mindset of Redskins Park.

That said, I know folks around here who root for Dallas who have never set foot inside state of Texas. Bleh.

Funny how many New England fans I run into. Some are from NE area but most aren't.

It's a different era of watching football than I grew up with, when everyone rooted for the home team...
I don't think anything has changed. People have always loved winners, it's just that when we were growing up the local team was one of them, so the bandwagon types had no reason to defect.

Also a lot of the Dallas fans in the area (at least the black ones) adopted the team back in the day because of George Preston Marshall's racism. Can't really fault them for that, guy was a despicable human being.
Point well made...you are probably right I was blinded to it because I was rooting for a winner at that time along with bandwagoners. The intervening 20 years I have been carrying the water for this team has been the thing that is different. I am just too stubborn or too loyal to change allegiences, ever. It's the same with the Wizards, Caps and Nationals with me (though obviously, Nats are a young franchise...so I grew up rooting for the O's who I still follow as well). I remember rooting for the Bullets when they had Wes Unseld and Elvin Hayes, etc. and won a championship vs. the Seattle Supersonics! And boy have I lived through some low times with them since!
You and me both, my friend. Waiting for the bandwagoners to catch on to this year's Caps squad; we discussed in the DC thread in the FFA whether they're the best team in the city since the '91 Skins, getting harder to deny that possibility after this past weekend.

Separate question- what's the story with the 5 and 6 seeds? The Vikes and Seahawks have the same record but everyone seems to assume IF (big if of course) we win the division, we'll be playing the Seahawks as the 5 seed. Do they have a tiebreaker over the Vikes or something?

How excited are you guys to abuse EJ Biggers as a starting CB next week, ouch! That.....guy.....sucks.
I think he was on the Redskins last year, wasn't it? Ooof.

That said, no one in this thread is gonna be cocky or take this game lightly. Arizona makes a lot of teams look bad. We know the Eagles are dangerous as h--- plus they are at home. It's going to take everything the Redskins have to come out with a victory. I don't know when the last time we won 3 in a row was. Probably during RGIII's 2012 run honestly.

I am just happy that the Redskins are even in it at this point. Pre-season I had them at 6 wins. Even if they fail against the Eagles, season has surpassed my expectations...
He's that guy you loved playing against......then your team signs him......then he has to play.

I think it will be tough for the Eagles to win 2 in a row even if they win this week. Dallas has folded so you guys should be good week 17. Who knows with Giants....they look terrible then come back and almost beat Carolina.

Cuz is looking good, will be interesting to see the path his career takes after this year. Does he become a Dalton type or once teams spend an offseason or 2 planning for him is he Nick Foles?

part of the issue w/ DC is it's such a transient area. i'd bet a smaller percentage on average of the folks actually grow up and then stay here. i'd suspect we have a better than average following nationally, but locally, we're somewhere in the middle. While teams like Clev have a dominate hold on the local market, fan support is more diverse here.

PS

I know tons of Dallas fans here that aren't born in DC, nor anywhere around TX, but they are still Cowboys fans(unless they are losing).

ESPN 30 for 30 presents: You Like That - The 2015 Super Bowl Champion Washington Football Team

ESPN 30 for 30 presents: You Like That - The 2015 Super Bowl Champion Washington Football Team
stop it.

How excited are you guys to abuse EJ Biggers as a starting CB next week, ouch! That.....guy.....sucks.
When you look up "sucks" in the dictionary his picture is there.

When he was here he was consistent. Every week he'd wander around trying to figure out where to be or who to cover. He never wavered, never stumbled into competence.

Jay Gruden:

“I think, obviously, being this late in the season, on top of our division, I just challenged the guys. They have a responsibility. First-place teams have a responsibility. The guys recognized that, the importance of flying around to the football, protecting the ball and playing good, sound football.
I like that.

Since we're talking the old days and Wes Unseld......................

I first heard of the Redskins while visitng my cousins in Silver Spring; I lived in southern PA at the time. They were older than me, guys I looked up to and wanted to be like, as were their friends. I was the young kid sorta allowed to tag along and be a part without getting made fun of too much. We were playing football in the grass beside one guy's house and he had a "portable" radio in the house window --- one of those old 12" by 18" or so plug-in radios with an antenna --- and the Redskins game was on. I learned the name Sonny Jurgensen that day, and learned that the greatest football player who ever walked the planet was Charley Taylor. Whenever the Skins had the ball these guys were yelling out what Jurgensen was doing. And every time the radio mentioned Taylor someone would yell "Charley Taylor!" and our game just stopped, even if the ball was in the air. And we all waited to hear what Charley Taylor would do, because he was the greatest football player who ever walked the planet.

The Redskins lost a lot more than they won back then but that had nothing to do with what I learned. I learned a bunch of guys who were older than me and who I wanted to be like lived and died on every Redskin play, and that they were the greatest heroes ever to walk the earth.

You do not shake a feeling like that. 20 years of losing and being miserable is no damn fun. But you do not shake a feeling like that. I'm still that kid when they play.

I have to admit, this elicited a chuckle from me.

At the same time, yeah, I do like that. We can dream, can't we?

Since we're talking the old days and Wes Unseld......................

I first heard of the Redskins while visitng my cousins in Silver Spring; I lived in southern PA at the time. They were older than me, guys I looked up to and wanted to be like, as were their friends. I was the young kid sorta allowed to tag along and be a part without getting made fun of too much. We were playing football in the grass beside one guy's house and he had a "portable" radio in the house window --- one of those old 12" by 18" or so plug-in radios with an antenna --- and the Redskins game was on. I learned the name Sonny Jurgensen that day, and learned that the greatest football player who ever walked the planet was Charley Taylor. Whenever the Skins had the ball these guys were yelling out what Jurgensen was doing. And every time the radio mentioned Taylor someone would yell "Charley Taylor!" and our game just stopped, even if the ball was in the air. And we all waited to hear what Charley Taylor would do, because he was the greatest football player who ever walked the planet.

The Redskins lost a lot more than they won back then but that had nothing to do with what I learned. I learned a bunch of guys who were older than me and who I wanted to be like lived and died on every Redskin play, and that they were the greatest heroes ever to walk the earth.

You do not shake a feeling like that. 20 years of losing and being miserable is no damn fun. But you do not shake a feeling like that. I'm still that kid when they play.
Dude, that's awesome.

And hearing Charley Taylor's name again...hearkens me back to when I was a wee kid and first following the team:

Billy Kilmer -- drunk, couldn't threw a spiral, but somehow found the grit to win. One of my earliest memories watching football is seeing Kilmer take a goal line plunge vs. Cowboys in sudden death, with blood streaming down from his nose. It was awesome.

Larry Brown

Ron McDole "the Dancing Bear"

Pat Fisher

Ken Houston

Chris Hamburger

The Over the Hill Gang generally

It's fun to think of the Gibbs hears but those "Over the Hill Gang" era teams were a ton of fun as well...

And re: the Bullets:

Kevin Grevey (sp?) was my favorite player and I would pretend to be him when playing basketball in elementary school.

I remember when they changed the team name and Polin claimed to be taking fan suggestions, even though our choices were Wizards, SeaDogs, and the like. :-D

The first Skins game I ever attended (first NFL game ever, too), was the 72-48 thrashing of the Giants...since I'd never been to a game before, I thought all games were supposed to be that high scoring! Christian Adolph looked pretty good that day!

The first Skins game I ever attended (first NFL game ever, too), was the 72-48 thrashing of the Giants...since I'd never been to a game before, I thought all games were supposed to be that high scoring! Christian Adolph looked pretty good that day!
I might have you beat. This was my first Skins/NFL game, as a nine year old kid. It was bat#### crazy. Back and forth affair, 99 yard TD pass for the Raiders, huge Skins comeback from 15 down in the 4th. Still the loudest and most intense crowd I've been in at a DC sports event. Turned out it was a Super Bowl preview too. One of the all time great regular season Skins games.

Funny how the slightest whiff of success has us all telling stories of our childhood. Says a lot about the intervening quarter-century or so, I suppose.

I might have you beat. This was my first Skins/NFL game, as a nine year old kid. It was bat#### crazy. Back and forth affair, 99 yard TD pass for the Raiders, huge Skins comeback from 15 down in the 4th. Still the loudest and most intense crowd I've been in at a DC sports event. Turned out it was a Super Bowl preview too. One of the all time great regular season Skins games.

Funny how the slightest whiff of success has us all telling stories of our childhood. Says a lot about the intervening quarter-century or so, I suppose.
That was a great Skins team -- maybe the best. Should have beaten the Raiders in the Super Bowl.

If Cousins plays the next 2 games he'll be the first Redskins QB to start every game in a season since Jason Campbell.

i remember that game, was like 38-36?

i remember that game, was like 38-36?
37-35. I found the gamer. There's arguably been better regular season endings since- the Monday night Santana Moss double dip comes to mind. But this one had insanity throughout. Turnovers, special teams madness, the 99 yard TD, crazy passing numbers, bouncing stands at RFK, everything you could want.

If Cousins plays the next 2 games he'll be the first Redskins QB to start every game in a season since Jason Campbell.
Is this supposed to sound surprising or significant in some way? Tons of teams have QB switches and injuries throughout the season. Campbell wasn't that long ago at all.

Is this supposed to sound surprising or significant in some way? Tons of teams have QB switches and injuries throughout the season. Campbell wasn't that long ago at all.
I was surprised by it, good teams don't have QBs in and out of the lineup like that. Shows you how QB starved this team has been.

Cousins has looked really good. I am surprised by how good y'all have looked the past few weeks.

As much as it pains me, I am pulling for you to win the division. I certainly do not want the eagles to make the playoffs

I was surprised by it, good teams don't have QBs in and out of the lineup like that.Shows you how QB starved this team has been.
I found it both surprising and significant.

I was surprised by it, good teams don't have QBs in and out of the lineup like that.Shows you how QB starved this team has been.
I found it both surprising and significant.
maybe cousins is your guy

maybe Shanhan's best moves was that CYA draft of another QB

When he was here he was consistent. Every week he'd wander around trying to figure out where to be or who to cover. He never wavered, never stumbled into competence.
I have never seen a worse tackle in my life than his attempt on John Brown last night.

I have never seen a worse tackle in my life than his attempt on John Brown last night.
:lol:

At least he was within view of the camera on that play. He's improved since he was here.

I like how his first reaction was to look at the end zone when the ball is snapped. "There's nobody to cover in the back of the end zone."

Ron McDole "the Dancing Bear"

Pat Fisher
Joe Rutgens

Pervis Atkins

Len Hauss

Paul Krause

Bobby Mitchell

Jim Snowden

Jerry Smith

McDole was one of my favorites. He was so fat and out of shape yet somehow he'd get loose and make critical plays now and then. One of the best nicknames ever.

You and me both, my friend. Waiting for the bandwagoners to catch on to this year's Caps squad; we discussed in the DC thread in the FFA whether they're the best team in the city since the '91 Skins, getting harder to deny that possibility after this past weekend.

Separate question- what's the story with the 5 and 6 seeds? The Vikes and Seahawks have the same record but everyone seems to assume IF (big if of course) we win the division, we'll be playing the Seahawks as the 5 seed. Do they have a tiebreaker over the Vikes or something?
I believe the first tie breaker is head to head record and Seattle beat the Vikings this year already...

Debate: Kirk Cousins, current top 10 QB in the league?
Hmmm...no particular order, and taking "current" to be right this instant, rest of season so no Luck on the list, and no age considerations:

Brady

Ben

Rodgers

Brees

Palmer

Wilson

Newton

Rivers

are clearly ahead in my book, as in, I'd tade Cousins for them straight up for rest of season. That's 8.

So he has to beat out:

Fitzpatrick

for the nine spot, not convinced. Is he better than all of:

A. Smith, Ryan, Winston, Stafford, Cutler, Bridgewater, Taylor, Bortles, Mariota?

There's kind of a big muddled tier from 9-16 at QB and he's squarely in it.

Hmmm...no particular order, and taking "current" to be right this instant, rest of season so no Luck on the list, and no age considerations:Brady

Ben

Rodgers

Brees

Palmer

Wilson

Newton

Rivers

are clearly ahead in my book, as in, I'd tade Cousins for them straight up for rest of season. That's 8.

So he has to beat out:

Fitzpatrick

A. Smith, Ryan, Winston, Stafford, Cutler, Bridgewater, Taylor, Bortles, Mariota?

Top 10 of who's healthy he's close. Dalton, Flacco, Luck, Romo are all better. You also left Bortles off of your list as well.Going into next year he's in that 12-15ish range.

Hmmm...no particular order, and taking "current" to be right this instant, rest of season so no Luck on the list, and no age considerations:

Brady

Ben

Rodgers

Brees

Palmer

Wilson

Newton

Rivers

So he has to beat out:

Fitzpatrick

no eli? i hate him but i would take him over cousins right now.

Here's guy that are HEALTHY that I would definitely take over him at the moment:

Brady

Rodgers

Newton

Palmer

Wilson

Roethlisberger

Eli

Brees

Including injured/healthy

Brady

Rodgers

Newton

Palmer

Wilson

Roethlisberger

Eli

Brees

Luck

Dalton

Romo

Not sold on him being a top 10 guy right now. Think he's somewhere in that 12-17 range. Which is still impressive considering where he was coming from going into the year. Just don't think he's a top 10 QB now though.

Users who are viewing this thread