What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2016 AtlanticHurricane Season thread *** (1 Viewer)

Next hour might be worst for me then improve from there.

In Southern Duval, west of 95 a couple mile north of Julington Creek. (Mandarin )

JaxBill said:
Next hour might be worst for me then improve from there.

In Southern Duval, west of 95 a couple mile north of Julington Creek. (Mandarin )
Pretty rough in Orange Park but subsiding. 

I ended up high-tailing it to Tampa. SIL has family in the area that own a rental property that is unoccupied presently (snowbirds) and gave us the keys so we drove out and drank obscene amounts of beer and bourbon. After they lifted the curfews, I drove home. About 12 shingles missing from the roof and the tree in the back near my pool enclosure ended up splitting in half. Half fell on the pool enclosure but didn't compromise it. No broken windows despite the fact that when I attempted to put up my hurricane shutters Wednesday, I realized that the people that sold us the house didn't leave the bolts/wingnuts necessary to put them up. By the time I realized this, every hardware store within 50 miles was completely sold out of f frame bolts. Had to leave them uncovered, but not a single chip or crack. I/this whole area got insanely lucky. 

Southwest canceled my flight to Pittsburgh tomorrow and was unable to get me out before Monday. However, I managed to find a flight later in the afternoon on AA so despite the mild inconvenience of a 3 hour layover in Charlotte, I will be waving my Terrible Towel at Heinz Field on Sunday. 

All in all, the net result is nothing short of miraculous. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mjolnirs, how big of a concern is the storm surge going to be at your house. They're reporting on the local news, WLTX, that storm surge would affect half of Jasper and Beaufort Counties. You are in Charleston Co? 

Stay safe.

He is in Berkeley County, about 15 miles inland.  Near a feeder creek to the Cooper River that could hurt things though.
Yep, Turkey Creek, which flows into the Cooper  is two streets over.  That street is probably under water by now.  On one side of my property, and across the back, are ditches that feed that creek.  They will get pretty high, but hopefully I'm far enough upstream for any issues.

Wind and rain picking up right now.

I

Southwest canceled my flight to Pittsburgh tomorrow and was unable to get me out before Monday. However, I managed to find a flight later in the afternoon on AA so despite the mild inconvenience of a 3 hour layover in Charlotte, I will be waving my Terrible Towel at Heinz Field on Sunday. 

Did your wife change flights to get back in town?

I don't know what they will do.  Beautiful area.  I lived directly across the street from one of those houses falling over.  It's a damn shame.  #### like this happens every few hundred years in these locations 

This storm has destroyed a lot of towns and a lot of lives already and isn't through yet.  Worst storm since Katrina and one of the worst in our history 

With sea-level rise accelerating, scenes like this will increase in frequency. Will or should these homeowners be allowed to rebuild? There is no more dune.
It's their property, why wouldn't they be "allowed?" I didn't see any homes falling into the ocean. And homes are lost to erosion at the beach from time to time. That's not anything new.

My guess is thousands drowned in the surge, but I hope I'm wrong.
This was one time I wish I was wrong but I don't think I was (This was about Haiti).  

I hope those people finally evacuated in SC.  

I ended up high-tailing it to Tampa. SIL has family in the area that own a rental property that is unoccupied presently (snowbirds) and gave us the keys so we drove out and drank obscene amounts of beer and bourbon. After they lifted the curfews, I drove home. About 12 shingles missing from the roof and the tree in the back near my pool enclosure ended up splitting in half. Half fell on the pool enclosure but didn't compromise it. No broken windows despite the fact that when I attempted to put up my hurricane shutters Wednesday, I realized that the people that sold us the house didn't leave the bolts/wingnuts necessary to put them up. By the time I realized this, every hardware store within 50 miles was completely sold out of f frame bolts. Had to leave them uncovered, but not a single chip or crack. I/this whole area got insanely lucky. 

:towelwave:

Just about all my friends in St. Augustine's homes and businesses are/were under feet of water. Certainly not Haiti horrific, but horrific nonetheless.

It's their property, why wouldn't they be "allowed?" I didn't see any homes falling into the ocean. And homes are lost to erosion at the beach from time to time. That's not anything new.
The county (St. Johns) most likely requires permits to rebuild. It may be unsafe to rebuild with the loss of the sand dune.  

Is it common to use flood insurance money to rebuild?
I don't know, but I don't see why not.

ETA: Actually, I doubt flood insurance is what pays out for that. My house fell over insurance covers that.

WxSynopsis

9 mins ·

****URGENT: MATTHEW TO LANDFALL BETWEEN SAVANNAH, GA AND CHARLESTON, SC. EXPECTED LANDFALL TO OCCURR DURING HIGH TIDE****

When a hurricane landfalls, you never EVER want the system to landfall during the high tide stage. What this does is double the amount of storm surge being pushed towards the coast. During the low tide stage, most coastal areas were 3-6ft above the normal low tide height. This is a terrible sign of what's to come during the high tide. But you add the landfall on top of this, and you get a near-catastrophic situation for a large swath of coastline. In addition, what makes this even worse is how the coastline of GA and SC curves, and bowls out. This allows for the storm surge to pile up and get pushed farther inland up the creeks/rivers and bays in the area. Most of these creeks/rivers have met or exceeded flood levels today during low tide, mainly in part due to the excess rainfall. If you have loved ones that live along eastern/coastal sections of GA and SC, I suggest you keep regular contact with them and let them know how bad this will get

Stay safe, my NC/SC friends. Hope you all get lucky too. I mean that on multiple levels. 

Looks like the outer bands of this are going to be in Charlotte as I land/layover there. Flying right back into this storm... :lol:

Yep. About 6 hours now. The feeder ditches that border my yard are over their banks. 1/3 of my backyard is under water ... and rising. 
Yikes. You got a 2 storey home?

I got a Genrac whole-house genny a few years ago after my 2nd time throwing away all of my fridge/freezer contents. It'll never pay for itself in real dollars, but I also don't have to fret being out of power anymore either. 

Yikes. You got a 2 storey home?
Yes, it's a split level. Me, wife, MIL, 3 cats and a turtle are bunkered mid house on the first floor. My entire top floor is within striking distance of trees.  So, if the water gets too high, we can move up and go mid house. 

A lot of downed trees and powerlines here in the Midlands along with heavy rains. All in all not too bad. I will say that here in Lexington we got more from Matthew than we did from Hugo.

Flooding is the biggest concern for us. We just hit the 1 year anniversary of the 1000 year flood a few days ago.

A1A in Flagler Beach trashed.  That was a nice drive up from Daytona to St. Augustine.  Hope for a speedy recovery.

We have friends who just moved to Hilton Head island, bought a house 3 weeks ago. They are originally from Chicago/Minnesota with 3 young children. 

how much of the island is flooded?

Users who are viewing this thread