What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2017 Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles* - Parade of Champions Down Broad Street! (1 Viewer)

I'm just thinking Wentz might be a sneaky QB pick for next year. I can keep him and give up my last draft pick, which is obviously potentially well worth the upside, but I'm not sure if I want to use one of my 3 keeper spots (have other options to keep as well- Gabriel, M. Mitchell, Ajayi, J Richard). 

With the beef added to the OL (and hopefully though the draft too), and huge upgrades at WR, it's hard to see Wentz not being a startable QB1. I agree with your assessment, he's a QB2 with upside because at this point we can't be certain he will put up QB1 numbers; I'm just thinking his upside is very intriguing. 

I'm just thinking Wentz might be a sneaky QB pick for next year. I can keep him and give up my last draft pick, which is obviously potentially well worth the upside, but I'm not sure if I want to use one of my 3 keeper spots (have other options to keep as well- Gabriel, M. Mitchell, Ajayi, J Richard). 

With the beef added to the OL (and hopefully though the draft too), and huge upgrades at WR, it's hard to see Wentz not being a startable QB1. I agree with your assessment, he's a QB2 with upside because at this point we can't be certain he will put up QB1 numbers; I'm just thinking his upside is very intriguing. 
I'm gonna try to snag him as my qb2 in redrafts.  Not just cause I'm a homer

I'm gonna try to snag him as my qb2 in redrafts.  Not just cause I'm a homer
We have very short benches (5), so I usually don't carry a QB2. I did this year and it really hurt me early on. I had Bell and Brady (both suspended) and then Abdullah got hurt and I had to cut some of my sleeper depth to just field a RB. 

I could bite the bullet and just have a QB2 this year again... or plan to go QBBC

Thoughts on Wentz this year with all these new toys?
If everyone is healthy and before seeing what we do at RB I have him as a QB1. I think Bortles was QB10/11 depending on your scoring and I expect Wentz to be better across the board than the 3900-23-16 passing he had and he'll be right near his 359-3 rushing.

Do not ever use bortles name again in the same sentence with Wentz.  Gross
Oddly enough... my QB I kept for last year and started for the first 2 weeks was Bortles. So here I am saying I am planning on potentially keeping Wentz the same as I kept Bortles... for your guys' sakes maybe I wont... 

Oddly enough... my QB I kept for last year and started for the first 2 weeks was Bortles. So here I am saying I am planning on potentially keeping Wentz the same as I kept Bortles... for your guys' sakes maybe I wont... 
I wont pretend to know the inner working of the Jags but from afar they don't seem like they did Bortles any favors.  He needed (IMO) an offensive minded HC and to basically be built around while being coached up.  A lot of the issues I read about with him seem to be something that can be fixed to some extent with good coaching.

If everyone is healthy and before seeing what we do at RB I have him as a QB1. I think Bortles was QB10/11 depending on your scoring and I expect Wentz to be better across the board than the 3900-23-16 passing he had and he'll be right near his 359-3 rushing.
My glasses are tinted as green as anyone's, but a few counterpoints to the optimism here:

1. The Eagles were already 6th in the NFL in pass attempts last season. I think it's really unlikely they throw more in '17, and given the RB talent available in both FA and the draft, it's possible that attempts number could come down by 10% or more.
  2. So any improvements will have to come from efficiency. Wentz's AY/A of 5.7 was 28th among 31 qualified starters. He could make huge strides in this area and still not land himself in the top-10 neighborhood (for reference Big Ben was 10th last year at 7.5).
  3. Bortles' numbers were the product of garbage time like perhaps never before in fantasy history. In the 4th quarter of games he threw for 33% of his yards and 43% of his TDs. If Wentz gets anywhere near these splits then we as Eagles fans will have way worse things to worry about than his fantasy stats.
Not to mention that, in a 1-QB league with shallow benches, having a guy who can be QB10 if all goes right is a waste of a roster spot. If you own the QB10 in a 12-teamer, you're losing points to 3/4 of the league on a weekly basis, and even in a 16-teamer it's on the low side of average. Fantasy isn't about accruing the most potential value on your roster; it's about outscoring your opponent(s) each week. Even as a last-round keeper, Wentz isn't likely to help you with that in this case.

Straight releasing Chase. Our national nightmare is over ( for most Eagle fans). Only saves us $1m though vs $6m for a trade.
to be honest, at the time it made sense. There was no talk of Wentz at all and I have to think Eagles knew they couldn't be overly desperate trying to get him (i.e. Sixers trading Okafor). They signed him for a lot sure, but with Bradford as the only QB on the roster I was happy to give him a shot to see what he could do. Howie did a good job of making a gamble ot get him, and getting us out of it cleanly

My glasses are tinted as green as anyone's, but a few counterpoints to the optimism here:

1. The Eagles were already 6th in the NFL in pass attempts last season. I think it's really unlikely they throw more in '17, and given the RB talent available in both FA and the draft, it's possible that attempts number could come down by 10% or more. I don't feel like it's unlikely.  They trusted Wentz to throw that often with a terrible group of skills and only a week to prepare as a starter.  He was also given the green light to change plays as well. Bottom line for me with this point is that the coaches trust him....a lot. And that will only grow as he becomes more familiar with the playbook and this new group of skills.
  2. So any improvements will have to come from efficiency. Wentz's AY/A of 5.7 was 28th among 31 qualified starters. He could make huge strides in this area and still not land himself in the top-10 neighborhood (for reference Big Ben was 10th last year at 7.5). You have to throw last year out the window IMO when looking at Wentz for 2017. Rookie QB, a week to work with the starters before playing his first game, hard schedule, terrible weapons etc. There is just far too much last year that just isn't there this year.
  3. Bortles' numbers were the product of garbage time like perhaps never before in fantasy history. In the 4th quarter of games he threw for 33% of his yards and 43% of his TDs. If Wentz gets anywhere near these splits then we as Eagles fans will have way worse things to worry about than his fantasy stats. Like our CB's and DL?  Those areas are the most important to any defense and ours have not improved since the end of last season.  Also, regardless of how Bortles got his #'s do you think that line he posted last season is out of the question for Wentz?  I don't.
Not to mention that, in a 1-QB league with shallow benches, having a guy who can be QB10 if all goes right is a waste of a roster spot. If you own the QB10 in a 12-teamer, you're losing points to 3/4 of the league on a weekly basis, and even in a 16-teamer it's on the low side of average. Fantasy isn't about accruing the most potential value on your roster; it's about outscoring your opponent(s) each week. Even as a last-round keeper, Wentz isn't likely to help you with that in this case. Sure, he has a lot to consider...I was just giving my .02

Last edited by a moderator:
So I was not aware of all the baggage Dalvin Cook brings with him. I knew they said typical off field stuff but it sounds like he is just as bad as Mixon minus the video. How does one fall to the 4th and the other stay in the 1st?

Yea I get it. It's just a bit hypocritical cause what if a video surfaces later? Now you're fully invested for first round time and money. 

Cook also has injury issues. Three shoulder surgeries and frequent hamstring issues. And his near-bottom agility scores in the combine were suggested by some to be because he didn't take a serious approach to preparing. 

Even without all the off-field trouble he's been in, and the need for us to focus on defense, I don't want to see him with the 14th pick. 

ETA: With Daniel heading out, we also don't need another guy coming in that Philly-natives will needlessly add an "s" to their name. Alshon "Jefferies" has already been uttered multiple times on WIP and 97.5 since last Thursday.  :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cook also has injury issues. Three shoulder surgeries and frequent hamstring issues. And his near-bottom agility scores in the combine were suggested by some to be because he didn't take a serious approach to preparing. 

Even without all the off-field trouble he's been in, and the need for us to focus on defense, I don't want to see him with the 14th pick. 
I'm to the point where I don't want to see anyone with the 14th pick unless he has a "CB" by his name. We've plugged the dike at WR for now, and there's so much RB talent still floating around out there unsigned that you could probably get two of them eventually and still pay maybe 1/4 of what that talent levevl would cost you at DB.

Shutdown corner plz kthxbai.

I'm to the point where I don't want to see anyone with the 14th pick unless he has a "CB" by his name. We've plugged the dike at WR for now, and there's so much RB talent still floating around out there unsigned that you could probably get two of them eventually and still pay maybe 1/4 of what that talent levevl would cost you at DB.

I'm torn on RB. I also dropped Cook from who I wanted at 14 after his combine but a lot of scouting types on Twitter see him as top 10. 

CB and DE are neck and neck to me. Both are really big needs. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ash

Problem is I don't think a shutdown guy will be there at 14. With Jones going down they show us taking Humphrey there but he's all potential. Could be great has all he measurables. No idea if that translates to the NFL.

I'd prefer to get a stud at that spot. Foster or Davis is the way I'd go.

ETA: With Daniel heading out, we also don't need another guy coming in that Philly-natives will needlessly add an "s" to their name. Alshon "Jefferies" has already been uttered multiple times on WIP and 97.5 since last Thursday.  :rolleyes:
Personally, I think that Dalvin Cooks would be a good pick.

I always says best available regardless of position when you corner one position you makes mistakes or you miss out on a better player. I know they are desperate on defense and honestly looking things over the best available are probably guys who are needs. Just guessing and everyone has different opinion but I think Humpphrey Cook Davis Robinson Barnett and Tabor. The only player who really isn't a need IMO is Robinson but if Peters is gone next year its not a terrible pick. The Eagles also aren't a SB team this year so just trying to fil a need doesn't accomplish much 

So I was not aware of all the baggage Dalvin Cook brings with him. I knew they said typical off field stuff but it sounds like he is just as bad as Mixon minus the video. How does one fall to the 4th and the other stay in the 1st?
A friend of mine is a former LAX player at FSU and he's good friends with a few football guys. Sounds from them Cook matured a lot since the 2015 incident. A lot of issues but he woke up and as the saying goes took his head out of his ###. I mean that's only from some teammates and who knows what else is going on but they even said in broadcast during games Cook really matured since all those incidents. Mixon there's video of him hitting a women and then there's an incident this past season where he threatened someone with his car which is a threat with a weapon in most states. Cook comes with his baggage but seems to have matured where a past incident this year and it sounds like even though nothing has been said that the two incidents with Mixon aren't the only ones and there's other things involved. Teams need to do a lot of research. Cook was also on a national champion team and has been very successful. Mixon plays in a conference where there's no defense.  

I've embraced the idea of a trade back but I'm gonna have to see who's here first. 

Been looking at a couple DE's and the tape of Derek Barnett looks great and I'm very intrigued by the potential of Taco Charleton, he remind me of JPP

The Noid said:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

This Jeffries sounds like good people.

:wall:

I'm sitting in the car waiting to pick my kid up from school yesterday with my mother in law who's visiting when Ike listed the laundry list of shizza Cook committed. Good Lord.... I could live with Mixon later I think...

I'm sitting in the car waiting to pick my kid up from school yesterday with my mother in law who's visiting when Ike listed the laundry list of shizza Cook committed. Good Lord.... I could live with Mixon later I think...
I heard the same thing. That was the first time I heard all of that.

Yeah hoping they go Cb or De in first round.  Starting to lean fournette over cook as well if they do go rb.  I don't think they will.  Hopefully they sign one of these decent vets at RB and that would help us know a bit more of what they are thinking

Yeah hoping they go Cb or De in first round.  Starting to lean fournette over cook as well if they do go rb.  I don't think they will.  Hopefully they sign one of these decent vets at RB and that would help us know a bit more of what they are thinking
Everything they have done so far says "Help Carson". I wouldn't mind a DE or CB or even OL or a LBer but unless they love Smallwood there's a very high chance they go RB. Everything is about Carson and we are in prime position to get one IMO. 

Not a lot would shock me with this draft. We could pick a number of positions I'd be fine with (even WR) or even trade up or down. It's going to be fun. 

Everything they have done so far says "Help Carson". I wouldn't mind a DE or CB or even OL or a LBer but unless they love Smallwood there's a very high chance they go RB. Everything is about Carson and we are in prime position to get one IMO. 

Not a lot would shock me with this draft. We could pick a number of positions I'd be fine with (even WR) or even trade up or down. It's going to be fun. 
if everything is "help Carson" I would not think a rookie RB would be the way to go. Look how many top 10-15 RBs in the past 10 drafts have busted. And if there is anything they want for Carson it is to be healthy, not a ton of rookie RBs are going to offer that unless that is their specialty and they are more like a 4th round pick.

and I just get nervous if they don't grab a CB, are we really going into the season with this much talent on offense and an aging OL with a 2nd and 3rd round CB as our starters, with not much of a back-up plan? I know people have mentioned Mills in here, but I think he is a much better nickleback then a starting outside CB. I have to think they pick up a free agent CB still, if for anything then to not force 2 rookies to start for the season. I have to think they can get someone pretty cheap like Desean Shead or one of those mid-teir guys. would be funny if they brought back Brandon Boykin

if everything is "help Carson" I would not think a rookie RB would be the way to go. Look how many top 10-15 RBs in the past 10 drafts have busted. And if there is anything they want for Carson it is to be healthy, not a ton of rookie RBs are going to offer that unless that is their specialty and they are more like a 4th round pick.

and I just get nervous if they don't grab a CB, are we really going into the season with this much talent on offense and an aging OL with a 2nd and 3rd round CB as our starters, with not much of a back-up plan? I know people have mentioned Mills in here, but I think he is a much better nickleback then a starting outside CB. I have to think they pick up a free agent CB still, if for anything then to not force 2 rookies to start for the season. I have to think they can get someone pretty cheap like Desean Shead or one of those mid-teir guys. would be funny if they brought back Brandon Boykin
I don't disagree with your view but just from everything they've done, I can see it being a RB. If the RB we pick can play the past failures of other RB's really wont matter.  I don't now that Fournette, Cook or even McCaffery would need to be the bellcow but having them as runners would certainly help Wentz a lot.  In Cook and McCaffery's case, the dimension they bring as receivers would really help as well.

DB's take a while to even play and their early bust rate is probable close to what a RB's would be.  Every year the top guys are always shut down CB's like Gilbert, Fuller, Dee Milner, DJ Hayden etc etc.  The first few CB's are always almost busts it seems or never amount to what people thought.  Looking back it seems like that's the position you can wait on and grab the 3rd, 4th or 5th one and get a pro-bowl CB

Just because you love the band, you don't need to bring them into it, Mo.

Anyway, I wonder if there has been any study published on positional reliability from the draft.  I feel like OL and DL (specifically pass rushers and OG) would be among the most reliable, but that is just going on gut.  Statistically would you look at what round the "successful" NFL players were taken in?  Or would you start with the draft, count the frequency of position by round and then calculate that versus a success rate?  

Just because you love the band, you don't need to bring them into it, Mo.

Anyway, I wonder if there has been any study published on positional reliability from the draft.  I feel like OL and DL (specifically pass rushers and OG) would be among the most reliable, but that is just going on gut.  Statistically would you look at what round the "successful" NFL players were taken in?  Or would you start with the draft, count the frequency of position by round and then calculate that versus a success rate?  
:lmao:  I typed it and knew it didn't look right.

and I think Cleveland has invested in the metrics of analyzing the draft, so it would be interesting to get information from them. The one for me that has bothered me forever was how all the scouts and draft experts could be so high on a player, and they are a total bust in the NFL (like as soon as they start their rookie year). I get a part of it has to do with the NFL team grooming the rookie, etc., but I can't figure out how so many experts in a field can all be on the same side and all be wrong.

and I think Cleveland has invested in the metrics of analyzing the draft, so it would be interesting to get information from them. The one for me that has bothered me forever was how all the scouts and draft experts could be so high on a player, and they are a total bust in the NFL (like as soon as they start their rookie year). I get a part of it has to do with the NFL team grooming the rookie, etc., but I can't figure out how so many experts in a field can all be on the same side and all be wrong.
And the amount of money and resources they spend as well.  I guess it comes down to ultimately one man who has to make the call.  Similar to how you see that guy in your FFB league call out a name in the second round you didn't expect, its his opinion that ultimately matters no matter what the masses under him may suggest. 

Fournette is the only RB I'd want in the first. Too many question marks with Cook and McCaffrey. I would take either of them in the second though. 

Fournette is the only RB I'd want in the first. Too many question marks with Cook and McCaffrey. I would take either of them in the second though. 
That's kind of a cop out. They won't last to our spot in the second round. So you either like them or you don't. It's not like fantasy where you only have to wait a couple of picks to choose again. 

I personally would not select either and try to get a back in the 3rd. 

Neither will make it to the second. I won't be shocked if all 3 went top 20. On tape, all 3 look really, really good. 

was an easier day for me at work today with the snow, and i looked at some of the latest mock drafts. Seems quite a few have dropped Cook out of the 1st round. Fournette is always going in top 8-10 (most of the time top 5), and some have other RBs in that 1st round like Alvin Kamara from Tennessee. 

Lol, i just went to look at 2 other drafts (on profootballfocus and drafttek.com) and they both had Cook in the 1st, so who knows. I just know for the Eagles, their game plan and offensive scheme makes me think they are set up more like Patriots, and they can take random pieces and fit them in at RB, as long as the QB is well protected and has a few weapons. 

Neither will make it to the second. I won't be shocked if all 3 went top 20. On tape, all 3 look really, really good. 
I got good money on McCafery over15.5 and i feel very confident i am sitting on easy money on that one. Sure he looks good on tape, but the draft usually doesn't go that way, especially when there are comparable guys still out on free agent list. 

modogg said:

I would not call the OL "aging".

I would not call the OL "aging".
yeah, the variability is pretty huge between Peters and Kelcey (who likely won't even start), and the other 3 positions (i think Brandon Brooks is like 27 or something). so you are right. I assume Lane can stop with the PEDs and hopefully doesn't hinder his game, but i still think we have question marks with Seumalo and Vaitai. Hopefully they pan out, and that does give us a solid base for awhile with those 4. But OL i think is the most important component with this team now 

No, Kelce is too small to play guard. Big V can be a stud RT with Lane at LT. Seumalo or Wiz can play C/LG. Brooks at RG and you have a very good young O-line. 

I got good money on McCafery over15.5 and i feel very confident i am sitting on easy money on that one. Sure he looks good on tape, but the draft usually doesn't go that way, especially when there are comparable guys still out on free agent list. 
I don't disagree. Just saying if he went top 15-20 I wouldn't be shocked. He looks like a better Gio Bernard to me. 

I don't disagree. Just saying if he went top 15-20 I wouldn't be shocked. He looks like a better Gio Bernard to me. 
nfl network had mccafery going to the saints at #11 overall so I don't think it's crazy to think he's gone in the top 20.  I was hoping to move back in the draft and get him but really dont want a rb at 14.  Fournette wont make it and I dont trust the other 2 as high as 14. 

Users who are viewing this thread