What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2018 Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles* - Tough way to go out. Magic finally gone. (1 Viewer)

No reaction in here to Doug being our Offensive Coordinator next year?
I don’t think this will be a Hue Jackson kind of situation. The Super Bowl postmortem articles showed how collaborative putting the game plan together was. That will still be the case, likely with Groh and Staley taking on larger roles, plus major involvement from whoever replaces DeFillipo.

I agree we move down from 32, but going from 32 to 48 will easily get us more than a 4th rounder.  Doesn't make sense that moving down half a round in the first would only net us a 4th, yet half a round in round 2 get us a 3rd. 

That 1st round pick is very valuable especially given that it gives the 5th year option.  We should be able to get a 3rd from someone mid 2nd looking to move up into the 1st. 
Well yea I was using an example. Howie will get maximum value.

Last edited by a moderator:
i can't find the article for whatever reason, but Peter King thinks 2 1st rounders are needed for Foles. that seems nutty. i remember the Bradford and Garopolo deals, but thinking of an established QB and what the deal was. Alex Smith went for not much, but he was on the block pretty easily. has to be more than that Smith deal right? 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/2/14/16975690/eagles-news-peter-king-2-first-round-picks-philadelphia-trade-nick-foles-rumors-nfl-super-bowl-mvp
Smith was traded for more then I thought, given that everyone knew he was gone.  The difference with Foles, the Eagles are 100% fine with keeping him.  We don't like the offer, we stay put and are happy to do so.

I mean, if you're the Bills.  You have a playoff caliber team, mediocre defense, but a solid run game.  You have TWO first round picks, but they're both in 20's.  Would you not offer one of them for Foles?  A QB that you KNOW, even on the biggest stage, and with Belichek having two weeks to prepare, can still carve up the Pats defense at will. 

Bills and Eagles love to trade with each other too.  that's probably my #2 prediction for what happens (#1 being Foles stays)

I seem to remember a story out there that mentioned Stoutland’s involvement in coming up with plays. Perhaps Doug relies more heavily on him??

i can't find the article for whatever reason, but Peter King thinks 2 1st rounders are needed for Foles. that seems nutty. i remember the Bradford and Garopolo deals, but thinking of an established QB and what the deal was. Alex Smith went for not much, but he was on the block pretty easily. has to be more than that Smith deal right? 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/2/14/16975690/eagles-news-peter-king-2-first-round-picks-philadelphia-trade-nick-foles-rumors-nfl-super-bowl-mvp
Lets put it this way. Foles stats career wise taken as a whole are better then any of the guys you mentioned. Garopolo had age on his side but I tend to think BB did Jimmy G a solid and took what he did so put him in a great place to succeed. Remember BB and Kyle are close considering the relationship Bill has with Kyle's dad Mike over the years. Alex Smith is nothing more then a serviceable QB. Better then just a game manager but he had a career year last year that isn't a norm for him. Foles is more seasoned, has the stats to back up being a real threat when it matters in the playoffs, won a SB as well as well as SB MVP. I'm not saying Nick Foles is top 10 QB. Maybe Top 15 if you look at the other Teams and starters? Point is with such a limited amount of good QB's in FA and the underwhelming QB Prospects in the draft. Demand is higher then the supply and that drives the price up. I look at Garropolo differently as Bill doing Jimmy G a favor as well as giving a friend an opportunity to take him before making him available else where at a smaller market price then when he might command from others. Smith I have no idea what KC was thinking of value on Smith but Foles is worth more then Alex Smith. If we got a 1st this year and a 3rd from a team I'd do it. It also depends where the 1st is falling in the draft as well. 

Any thought to giving Malcolm Butler a 1 year prove it deal with the chance to stick it to his former employer Belichick? I know CB has depth but I’d like to see a vet in the slot and this is the type of deal SB winners can sell. 

Another guy I wouldn’t mind seeing as depth is Derrick Johnson. Old yes, but still played at a high level last year. He’s said he wants to win one before he’s done. If he’s willing to play special teams, he’s a low snap count guy like Long with the ability to step in as a starter if someone goes down. 

Any thought to giving Malcolm Butler a 1 year prove it deal with the chance to stick it to his former employer Belichick? I know CB has depth but I’d like to see a vet in the slot and this is the type of deal SB winners can sell. 

Another guy I wouldn’t mind seeing as depth is Derrick Johnson. Old yes, but still played at a high level last year. He’s said he wants to win one before he’s done. If he’s willing to play special teams, he’s a low snap count guy like Long with the ability to step in as a starter if someone goes down. 
I thought about that myself. I just wish the truth would come out about his Super Bowl benching. The chemistry on this Eagles team is amazing. I'm not sure I've ever witnessed a tighter group of players. I'd just hate to bring in a disruptive personality.

Depends on the price.  I think someone will overpay and I hope it isn't us.  He's not that great

Nice. My dad used to take me to Ernie's Barber Shop right near there. And we went to school at St. Clement's on 72nd and Paschall. I guess you were a Finnegan's kid? We moved out in 1990.
I never heard of Ernie's. A buddy was over my house last and I asked him and he told me where it was. Knew the location, but never knew the name.

I lived in Clement's parish, but since I'm not catholic, I didn't go there. St. Irenaeus started taking us non-catholics so I went there for 7th and 8th grade then off to West and graduated in '86.

Yeah, I hung with a lot of guys/girls from Finnegan's and was there a lot, but I spent most of my time in the park in front of my house.  

I'm assuming I'm a bit older than you, but curious of your age. 

I'm all for it. We still don't know what Jones has or if he can come back even 95% of what he was before the injury. At best he doesn't make it out of camp. 

Maybe a bit off topic but figured you guys were the best to Ask. Been hearing about this new apparently great website for actual Sports Journalist Called the Athletic. Started in Chicago as a pay to read on local teams but has stretched to every major city in the East coast from Boston and NY to Hear to LA now and a few other locations. They are bringing in an awesome all star group of guys for Baseball including Rosenthal and Former Inky Philly Beat writers Jayson Stark. It's a subscriber reading but from reading Rosnethal's free story of why he's joining on there and how the website is laid out it sounds like something for a sports reader to definitely want. No ads, no automatic video plays, clean layout with easy reading without any of the distractions. I've yet to see what kind of guys they will have for Football but it looks like a solid website and something many sports fans who want to read without all the cluster#### involved could do. Offering really good deals right now for a year depending on which of the writers you checked their free article are doing. Wasn't sure if its worth the subscribe or not? I'm not tight on money but I am trying to stop spending on things not needed and save money in ways. Just wondering if anyone is already a subscriber or has plans of subscribing. From the football articles I saw posted this past season the seemed interest reads and more of the stuff I'd rather read then what the mainstream had on. 

Maybe a bit off topic but figured you guys were the best to Ask. Been hearing about this new apparently great website for actual Sports Journalist Called the Athletic. Started in Chicago as a pay to read on local teams but has stretched to every major city in the East coast from Boston and NY to Hear to LA now and a few other locations. They are bringing in an awesome all star group of guys for Baseball including Rosenthal and Former Inky Philly Beat writers Jayson Stark. It's a subscriber reading but from reading Rosnethal's free story of why he's joining on there and how the website is laid out it sounds like something for a sports reader to definitely want. No ads, no automatic video plays, clean layout with easy reading without any of the distractions. I've yet to see what kind of guys they will have for Football but it looks like a solid website and something many sports fans who want to read without all the cluster#### involved could do. Offering really good deals right now for a year depending on which of the writers you checked their free article are doing. Wasn't sure if its worth the subscribe or not? I'm not tight on money but I am trying to stop spending on things not needed and save money in ways. Just wondering if anyone is already a subscriber or has plans of subscribing. From the football articles I saw posted this past season the seemed interest reads and more of the stuff I'd rather read then what the mainstream had on. 
definitely worth it. Got absolutely best writers for Sixers and Eagles. Eagles stuff is top notch. i'm not a subscriber yet, but i'll take Bodner and Sheil over any sports writing group in Philadelphia

definitely worth it. Got absolutely best writers for Sixers and Eagles. Eagles stuff is top notch. i'm not a subscriber yet, but i'll take Bodner and Sheil over any sports writing group in Philadelphia
Sheil was one of the reason. As you know I'm not really a Sixers fan but Boder seems like the most reasonable of work I've seen from any Sixers guy. He keeps it at least realistic and he does have the draft pick spread sheet going what I like. I did see Jon Greenberg who did the ESPN Chicago stuff is the lead for The Athletic Chicago section so that's optimistic. I'll probably subscribe tomorrow because if I do it now I'll be up all night reading and I got work early tomorrow. 

sorry if already posted, but literaaly sprinkled some pee i my shorts seeing this:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/2/14/17013022/ndamukong-suh-eagles-play-free-2018-philadelphia-dolphins-cut-lions-miami-stephen-ross-nfl-rumors

i know Suh has plenty of haters, but i love the guy. put him on a good team with good leadership and you have an all Pro, no doubt
I hate Suh from a stand point I think he's one of the dirtiest players in the league. However maybe with the right leadership and coaching around him he could mature 

I wouldn't count on the Eagles signing any big name free agents. They just don't have the cap space unless they start cutting some of their bigger names. The Eagles are currently $9 million OVER the cap. Cutting Celek and Torrey Smith gets us even with the cap. Those are our only freebies. Restructuring some deals might get another $10 million in cap space, but we will need space to sign our rookies.

I have enough confidence in Doug that I think the shark move would be to trade Foles for a decent price then sign a vet as a backup to start the first handful of games. McCown, Fitz, one of the Minn guys, Bortles? Doug could probably coach up any of those guys to win games with this team until Wentz gets back. Get a 2 & 3 for Foles to fill in the gaps in this draft.

2 weeks and I'm not sure what to do with myself now. Usually it's looking forward to free agency and the draft to improve the team to maybe slightly increase our chances at a title. Except now we have it. The angst is all gone. Sure we could go win another but nothing will be as sweet as this one.

2 weeks and I'm not sure what to do with myself now. Usually it's looking forward to free agency and the draft to improve the team to maybe slightly increase our chances at a title. Except now we have it. The angst is all gone. Sure we could go win another but nothing will be as sweet as this one.
watching "Turning Point" on DVR about the SB. might be watching any SB related things for a good month

I feel bad for Blount (well, not really - dude has 3 rings and millions of dollars) - but saw an interview with him, the dude really loved it here in Philly and wants to come back.  I don't see anyway it happens short of the vet minimum, but it would be nice to keep him, he seems to have fit well with the team and Duce.  He really gushed about Duce.

I feel bad for Blount (well, not really - dude has 3 rings and millions of dollars) - but saw an interview with him, the dude really loved it here in Philly and wants to come back.  I don't see anyway it happens short of the vet minimum, but it would be nice to keep him, he seems to have fit well with the team and Duce.  He really gushed about Duce.
yeah he has been saying that for a bit. Got to like the guy. he understands the business side. have to think players around the league hear some of these things, and this stuff pays off with free agents down the road

yeah he has been saying that for a bit. Got to like the guy. he understands the business side. have to think players around the league hear some of these things, and this stuff pays off with free agents down the road
Maybe guys take pay cuts to come here or sign for more yrs less money overall then more money and less yrs elsewhere. The Wiz Gesture was pretty good as well. 

Yea, I mean they seems to be doing all the right things.  I saw Wisniewski just missed out on a 250k bonus this year, so they restructured it and game him an extra 250k guaranteed next year.  If you're a players, how do you not want to come to an org that does that?

Yea, I mean they seems to be doing all the right things.  I saw Wisniewski just missed out on a 250k bonus this year, so they restructured it and game him an extra 250k guaranteed next year.  If you're a players, how do you not want to come to an org that does that?
that's why i think the Foles situation plays out well for all. if they trade him i guarantee it is a place he has agreed to go and wants to go. if not, no worries on that end too. 

I have enough confidence in Doug that I think the shark move would be to trade Foles for a decent price then sign a vet as a backup to start the first handful of games. McCown, Fitz, one of the Minn guys, Bortles? Doug could probably coach up any of those guys to win games with this team until Wentz gets back. Get a 2 & 3 for Foles to fill in the gaps in this draft.
Are you suggesting Bradford be brought back? I sure hope not. My Co workers son who's one of the Assistant coaches I asked him how Sam Bradford was viewed by the brass, Coaching Staff and players there who had been there with him. He played it coy but sent me a signal that Bradford would never be allowed by any of his former teammates into that locker room ever again and that some of the guys seemed to feel if they had a choice would they go to a team with Bradford on it that pays them more or take a pay cut and go elsewhere they'd do the later. Also gave me the impression that the Eagles Brass was not big fans how Sam represented himself after Foles and Carson were here. He did say some of the Veterans who have been here an awfully long time and younger Vets here (Didn't mention names but I would guess guys like JP and Celek for the most part and some of the guys like Ertz and Kelce) didn't think Sam understood the fans and media here and didn't have the capacity to last here. Last weird impression I got was when Sam was here with Chip he didn't exactly say this but said there was talk of people in the building expressing how Some of the coaching staff handled Bradford. Kind of with kid gloves and put some of the more gritty players off. Similar to the talk of Vernon Davis who said he was put of by the 49ers brass babying Colin Kapernick and inferred that many of the Vets weren't fans of it. 

Either way I sure hope Sam wasn't being referred by you because just from previous discussions with someone who has been in that locker room with guys who played with Sam it's not a good idea. It'd be like making an Eagles fan and Cowboys fan marry each other and telling one of them they had to switch team allegiance. Not happening. I do like the other suggestions. Always liked Bortles but I think he still could be good with the right situation and coaching. I love the idea of McCown though

You could do a LOT worse than having Sam Bradford as your backup.   :shrug:   
Sure could. Simple saying do to the way he left based on info I got from someone who's been in that locker room and knows the brass to a degree it may not be smart for them. One of the biggest issues I think was how he reacted to Foles being signed. Guys like Jason Peters and Celek were good Friends of Foles and Ertz was beginning to start a good QB/TE Relationship going Zach's Rookie year. Many of the guys when Foles was traded weren't happy he was traded. One of the final straws players had with Chip. Foles was popular and well liked. Sam being there only one season and how he took the news probably put a bad taste in players mouth's who considered Roles a great friend and teammate. JP took a PF Penalty and a Ejection to protect his QB who just had gotten Cheap shot by a Was player in a game while Foles was here. So I can see how Sam's behavior didn't sit well with the guys. Sam's agent didn't do any better with the Sam doesn't like hearing boos by the home crowd. I'm sorry but we don't baby players here in Philly. If you can't take being here and out passion and calling you out for piss poor play maybe you shouldn't be in this city anyway. But if you give your all and get the fans like this very team this season did this city will support you for ages. Jason Kielce could probably have his worst season ever this coming year and the fans probably wouldn't care after this past years performance plus speech. I mean dam look what happened to Utley after his WORLD ####### CHAMPIONS SPEECH. Dude was a Demi god. Despite when he was struggling he never got any #### from the fans where as other players did. Overall it'd be a poor gesture to this fanbase to replace Foles who has some of the biggest fans in this city I've ever seen for a guy and replace him with a guy Fans basically said Don't let the door hit ya on the way out. 

Sure could. Simple saying do to the way he left based on info I got from someone who's been in that locker room and knows the brass to a degree it may not be smart for them. One of the biggest issues I think was how he reacted to Foles being signed. Guys like Jason Peters and Celek were good Friends of Foles and Ertz was beginning to start a good QB/TE Relationship going Zach's Rookie year. Many of the guys when Foles was traded weren't happy he was traded. One of the final straws players had with Chip. Foles was popular and well liked. Sam being there only one season and how he took the news probably put a bad taste in players mouth's who considered Roles a great friend and teammate. JP took a PF Penalty and a Ejection to protect his QB who just had gotten Cheap shot by a Was player in a game while Foles was here. So I can see how Sam's behavior didn't sit well with the guys. Sam's agent didn't do any better with the Sam doesn't like hearing boos by the home crowd. I'm sorry but we don't baby players here in Philly. If you can't take being here and out passion and calling you out for piss poor play maybe you shouldn't be in this city anyway. But if you give your all and get the fans like this very team this season did this city will support you for ages. Jason Kielce could probably have his worst season ever this coming year and the fans probably wouldn't care after this past years performance plus speech. I mean dam look what happened to Utley after his WORLD ####### CHAMPIONS SPEECH. Dude was a Demi god. Despite when he was struggling he never got any #### from the fans where as other players did. Overall it'd be a poor gesture to this fanbase to replace Foles who has some of the biggest fans in this city I've ever seen for a guy and replace him with a guy Fans basically said Don't let the door hit ya on the way out. 
Yup I'm assuming the Eagles would much rather prefer Foles over Bradford as the backup.  But under the assumption that the Eagles would trade Foles, I think Bradford would be a hell of a backup.  I think the chances of that happening is close to nil.

Yup I'm assuming the Eagles would much rather prefer Foles over Bradford as the backup.  But under the assumption that the Eagles would trade Foles, I think Bradford would be a hell of a backup.  I think the chances of that happening is close to nil.
I wouldn't take the chance even if there wasn't a history there. Never was high on Bradford and I always thought he was a big baby. Someone who needed to be treated with kid gloves. Even his QB coach in college told teams Sam had to be babied. Sorry this is the NFL and if you need to be babied I don't care if your Position is 2nd String to the head water boy you won't last long here (and I would imagine its the same in Pittsburgh) if you need to be babied. Takes a special kind of mentality and character to last in some of these die hard passionate sports cities. I was never a Bradford fan I was a big Foles Supporter when he was first here. I was livid when that trade was made official. I thought getting Rid of Jackson was bad especially the smear campaign article after the fact he was released really upset me but the Files thing was the icing on the cake. Props to Lurie though in all of this. He let Chip dig his own grave and already had his replacement in terms of Player management ready and waiting. He basically told Howie take a Years vacation I'll see ya next year. Then when Kelly Was canned Roseman was welcomed back by many with open arms 

Foles is unlikely to bring a significant pick so I can’t see the Eagles moving him with Wentz’ status in question.

It would also be tough to get a top backup to replace Foles. Those guys (like McCown), typically want to go somewhere they have a chance to start. Foles played better than many people thought, but it’s the wrong year to be shopping a guy like him with Cousins on the market along with several other decent QBs who might be available as well as the best rookie class in quite awhile.

For those reasons, I can’t see Foles going anywhere. One of those situations where it’s probably best for the Eagles to sit on him next season. Maybe move Foles at the trade deadline if Wentz is fully recovered & playing well. That said, it probably makes sense for Philly to play it safe & keep him considering what they would likely be able to get in return.

Interesting situation for you guys.

With a need at LB and OT, I see that as a colossal waste of a pick. 
Depends who's available though, if there aren't any LB's or OT that are worth it, you should take em.  Granted, in that case a trade down is the best move, but you need two to tango for that.

Foles is unlikely to bring a significant pick so I can’t see the Eagles moving him with Wentz’ status in question.

It would also be tough to get a top backup to replace Foles. Those guys (like McCown), typically want to go somewhere they have a chance to start. Foles played better than many people thought, but it’s the wrong year to be shopping a guy like him with Cousins on the market along with several other decent QBs who might be available as well as the best rookie class in quite awhile.

For those reasons, I can’t see Foles going anywhere. One of those situations where it’s probably best for the Eagles to sit on him next season. Maybe move Foles at the trade deadline if Wentz is fully recovered & playing well. That said, it probably makes sense for Philly to play it safe & keep him considering what they would likely be able to get in return.

No one here cares what you think

You still think Dallas is one of the best teams in the nfc.  Gtfo

Foles is better than dak prescott

I kinda get this but a draft pick is a 50\50 fail for the top 6 QBs at best. Foles is a Superbowl MVP and cheaper than Cousins. Some would see him as the better option (only takes one). With that said I think Foles may be the best of all options. Never a problem and can obviously play in this league. 

Users who are viewing this thread