What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2019 FBG Subscriber Contest (4 Viewers)

Interesting developments...

All we really need is to calculate the average value of the distribution associated with max(QB1, QB2).  This expectation, and the cost, can be directly compared to the elite QB.

Intuitively you would think this resolves to a simple formula, but that is only the case if the two variables have the same average and same standard deviation (references below).

In that simplified case the mean / expectation value of the max = average + (standard deviation)/sqrt (pi).

For the case we are interested in, where averages and deviations of the various players are not identical, you can use the procedure outlined earlier to solve P(max(QB1,QB2)) = 0.5 (probability is 50% around the mean).  In excel you can use MATCH to find the score value which corresponds to this equality after computing all the probabilities in a table from 0 points to 100 points.

The implication is that you can create hybrid players as combinations of players, for any position and any number of players in that position (up to roster limits) and compute production and cost for each and every hybrid.

This can then be thrown into a linear optimization to find the unique global maximum for the best possible roster (based on assumed statistics).  Excel may still limit the number of player variables to 200, so you may need an alternative freeware or payware to perform the optimization.

QED.

References associated with expectation value of max(QB1, QB2) (with and without assumption of identical averages and standard devlation):

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1804353/expected-values-of-maxx-y-and-minx-y-for-n-mu-sigma2-distributed (proves the simple formula)

https://mathoverflow.net/questions/298920/mean-and-variance-of-maximum-of-random-variables (explains why the formula is not simple for non identical distributions)

Drunken Cowboy said:
If you want to go down this path Monte Carlo simulations is really the way to go.
I'm sure that's true for those who have the time, capacity and energy to invest the effort.  I'm just happy to have a rational means of comparing roster choices.

I'm sure that's true for those who have the time, capacity and energy to invest the effort.  I'm just happy to have a rational means of comparing roster choices.
When you can convert that “rational means” into “plain English” I’m all ears ;)  

Based on last season, we should be within 9 days of the contest opening.  There are plenty of names/prices I will be looking for, right away.

The holdout situations with Zeke and Gordon make me think they will attempt to delay the release as long as possible.  Last thing you want to do is mess up the pricing on two guys like that and have them end up on every single roster 

Raback said:
The holdout situations with Zeke and Gordon make me think they will attempt to delay the release as long as possible.  Last thing you want to do is mess up the pricing on two guys like that and have them end up on every single roster 
I would guess that they simply price them at their non-holdout cost (or within a couple dollars of it) just like they did last year with Bell. Lets those who think they'll play take them in hopes of having an advantage over those who stayed away (lots of guys took Bell for that reason last year), and doesn't create an artificial "bargain" that everyone will have. There's no way they price them low, no matter how long they can delay the contest; ergo, there's no reason to delay.

I would guess that they simply price them at their non-holdout cost (or within a couple dollars of it) just like they did last year with Bell. Lets those who think they'll play take them in hopes of having an advantage over those who stayed away (lots of guys took Bell for that reason last year), and doesn't create an artificial "bargain" that everyone will have. There's no way they price them low, no matter how long they can delay the contest; ergo, there's no reason to delay.
If it become clear one of them will holdout all year the backup becomes a must have for everybody

If it become clear one of them will holdout all year the backup becomes a must have for everybody
Unfortunately, that may not be clear until after the season starts.  Conner was on a ton of teams last year, but not all.  A lot of people still thought that Bell would be back by midseason.

Last year, 800 more people chose Peyton Barber (6216 - $8) over James Conner (5417 - $4).  Conner was rostered by one-third of the entries, yet he was only 4 bucks!  If Dodds used only his ADP to price players, Gordon would currently be $24, Austin Ekeler would go for $16, and Justin Jackson would be $7

If you want to go down this path Monte Carlo simulations is really the way to go.

I was going to suggest Monte Carlo simulations as well.  really the easiest and fastest way to get what you're looking for.  Can do it easily in excel:

I changed your sigmas a bit in your example to make a little more realistic, but this will work for whatever

QB1 - avg 26, st. dev. of 8 

Qb2 - avg 22, st. dev of 5

qb 3  - avg 31, st. dev of 4

In Cell B1, "=Norm.INV(rand(), 26, 8 )

In Cell C1, "=Norm.INV(rand(), 22, 5)

In Cell D1, "=Norm.INV(rand(), 31, 4)

In Cell E1, "'=IF(MAX(B1, C1)>D4, 1, 0)

Copy these formulas down for a bunch of rows.  In this example, results seems to stabilize around 2000.

Take the average of Column E as your probability.  I get some where around 34.5% probability that QB1 + QB2 outscored QB3.

This can really be extended into any number of combinations

Last edited by a moderator:
Kruegs said:
On My FBG contest page...

“Sit tight. The 2019 contest will very likely be ready to roll by Friday, August 2.”
Can't hurt to ask the source...

@David Dodds do you plan on letting holdouts play out a while more, or do you plan on opening the contest on/about 7 Aug, which was last year's open date?

I was going to suggest Monte Carlo simulations as well.  really the easiest and fastest way to get what you're looking for.  Can do it easily in excel:
Thanks for your post.

Currently I'm struggling with the fact that concensus estimates for player projections may not be normally distributed.

So, I may be forced to both secure the individual projection to model the distribution and build a simulation....unless I can derive an approximate expectation value of MAX(A or B).

Currently I'm struggling with the fact that concensus estimates for player projections may not be normally distributed.
No problem.  imo, assuming normal distribution is probably close enough if you understand that there is grey area.  What I mean is if you're comparing Players A, B and C, vs D and E, and you calculate that A& B & C outscore D & E with 52% probability, then you can probably conclude they're even, not that ABC is definitely the better choice.

FWIW, I just took a look at a random QB (Prescott) over the last 3 years and I would be okay with someone assuming his scores roughly follow a normal distribution.

Yay!! Won't be sleeping much tonite.  Noticed real fast - no QB, RB, WR, or TE under $4, and no K or D under $3

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going quality over quantity this year--the less is more approach. See if I can get past week 6.

Best day of the summer is when the FBG contest is released!

There is definitely a player you have to pay top dollar for and get because there's such a drop off after that. Lots of good value though. 

Did somebody impose tariffs on players?  No position players less than $4? No Ks or Ds less than $3? That's going to leave a mark.

Users who are viewing this thread