What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2019 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread*** Hope Springs Eternal? (2 Viewers)

Godsbrother said:
The Cubs are up 10 games over the Bucs.  I don't see it happening...

I would happily bet everything I own that the Bucs will not make up 10 games on any team the rest of the season.  There is a small possibility that the Bucs don't even win 10 more games this year.  

I would happily bet everything I own that the Bucs will not make up 10 games on any team the rest of the season.  There is a small possibility that the Bucs don't even win 10 more games this year.  

In watching Ian Happ's sub .200 average and dreadful flailing at pitches a foot outside the strike zone, I recall that if the Cubs had lost just a couple more games a few years back they would have been able to draft Andrew Benentendi instead of Happ.

The Cubs are not going to let that happen again, as they are in full tank mode.

In watching Ian Happ's sub .200 average and dreadful flailing at pitches a foot outside the strike zone, I recall that if the Cubs had lost just a couple more games a few years back they would have been able to draft Andrew Benentendi instead of Happ.

The Cubs are not going to let that happen again, as they are in full tank mode.
Yeah but the Pirates don’t even need to go in tank mode.  As bad as the Cubs may be, do you really think the Pirates are any better from a talent standpoint (let alone 10 games better)?  

I think the management is much better, I always felt like Neal wasnt sure how to run a solid baseball program, especially from a talent development perspective. The talent we did find, we squandered by putting square pegs in round holes (see Glasnow, Meadows, Cole, etc...), outside of a magical run 2013-2015, it's been a moribund ride.

Glad to see Ben Cherington having good success committing to a plan and following through thus far, but still a long way to go since the returns from the draft & this trade deadline will take years to manifest. I'm willing to give Ben the benefit of the doubt, but I dont think we're going to be contending until 2024 at the earliest. Going to get alot darker before the sun begins to shine again. Buckle up for some piss poor baseball the next few years.
None of this matters until Nutting sells the team or dies. These guys have no chance to succeed no matter how well they do.

None of this matters until Nutting sells the team or dies. These guys have no chance to succeed no matter how well they do.
The ONLY way is if the journeymen veterans they routinely sign have a freak good season and all of these prospects magically blossom at the same exact time.  Oh and it has to happen before any become eligible for arbitration because as soon as they are set to make serious cash they'll be traded for more prospects.    

Nutting is worst kind of sports team owner:  a greedy rich guy that only cares about making money, won't sell the team and doesn't give a damn about winning. 

He holds the team and city captive and MLB doesn't care.

Gregory Polanco batting 6th and playing RF the day after he was placed on release waivers is peak Pirates.

Gregory Polanco batting 6th and playing RF the day after he was placed on release waivers is peak Pirates.
i was just telling my grandkids about the legendary wis grand draft master eephus, god bless modern science, glad to see you survived the covid!  say hi to your nurse for me…. halos…wis iii champion

Last edited by a moderator:
Shane Baz making his MLB debut for the Rays tonight.   

To recap:  Glasnow, Meadows, Baz all for Archer, who is currently on the Rays.

:mellow:

This may go down as the worst trade ever.
Espn did a thing recently on all time worst trades. This was the first one mentioned 

Shane Baz making his MLB debut for the Rays tonight.   

To recap:  Glasnow, Meadows, Baz all for Archer, who is currently on the Rays.

:mellow:

This may go down as the worst trade ever.

Worst trade ever for various reasons really.  The Pirates had no chance of contending that season.  But they just had a huge winning streak.  This was the kind of trade that the Bucs should have made in seasons past, but neglected to.  Instead of having a potential contending team again in short order, they set the franchise back another 5+ years.  If they wanted to win that season, they should have kept Cutch and Cole, who are still great.

Pirates sign Hayes to a team-record 70 million dollar extension hours before the game today.  He gets injured on opening day.  You just can't make this #### up with this team.  The amount of ineptitude + bad luck is comical.  

Pirates sign Hayes to a team-record 70 million dollar extension hours before the game today.  He gets injured on opening day.  You just can't make this #### up with this team.  The amount of ineptitude + bad luck is comical.  
:goodposting:

This team is pathetic.  The lead off batter has a lifetime MLB batting average slightly above the Mendoza line and has no career stolen bases.  He looks more like an NFL offensive lineman than he does a baseball player.

They continue to think they have something in Cole Tucker, an infielder with a career .215 batting average, but have him playing outfield where he proved to be a major defensive liability last season.

I could go on but why bother?  The pitching stinks, they can't hit and they are terrible defensively.  If this team somehow avoids losing 110 games Shelton should be named manager of the year.

3TD shut out this weekend.  

Call me in 3-5 years and let me know if any of these young guys have become players and the team paid to keep them and surround them with a competitive team.

Pirates and Reds are the 2 worst teams in baseball by far.

ETA - 2 worst run differentials in the league.  

If there was any doubt who the worst team in baseball is, hopefully this weekend puts a squash to that.  The Reds have owned the Pirates in this early season.  They're a far more talented team (when fully healthy).  

The Pirates have an interesting young team. The two top teams in the division, Milwaukee and St. Louis have rosters heavy with aging players, and Cincinnati and the Cubs have a dearth of high-end talent.

Pittsburgh in 2024 will be a team to watch.  

The Pirates have an interesting young team. The two top teams in the division, Milwaukee and St. Louis have rosters heavy with aging players, and Cincinnati and the Cubs have a dearth of high-end talent.

Pittsburgh in 2024 will be a team to watch.  
What do they really have in their farm and current roster that should get me excited they can compete in 3 years?  They don’t spend money so banking on a key free agent acquisition is out the window.

So how is the weather looking for the kid tomorrow? I have one move left, and could use his k's. H2h semifinals. I can't risk a rainout really, but the options are light. It's gonna be hella tight. TiA

Our trade for Chris Archer won’t go down as the worst trade in sports history. Denver Broncos traded the complete farm for Russell Wilson. I have no idea why but this makes me feel good as a Pirates fan.

His curve is a marvel and he's fun to watch work but I don't know what signing 43 year old Rich Hill has to do with building a contender. I guess the best case scenario is flipping him for a prospect if he pitches well and is healthy at the trade deadline.

His curve is a marvel and he's fun to watch work but I don't know what signing 43 year old Rich Hill has to do with building a contender. I guess the best case scenario is flipping him for a prospect if he pitches well and is healthy at the trade deadline.
I think you know this already but Pirate ownership has never cared about building a contender. They may kick into it someday but it won’t be because they “went for it.” Their ownership is all about the Benjamins

I think you know this already but Pirate ownership has never cared about building a contender. They may kick into it someday but it won’t be because they “went for it.” Their ownership is all about the Benjamins

I don't think the Hill deal is particularly team friendly. His 1/$8M contract is higher than any of his last three one-year deals. Given his age and injury history, there's limited opportunity for Hill to outperform his contract.

Cherington's other off-season moves aren't terrible when ownership's unwillingness to spend is factored in. Joe, Velasquez and Choi have a bit more upside possibilities than Hill. Santana isn't blocking anyone and is pretty cheap. Of course, I liked Yoshi Tsutsugo too so take my assessment with a grain of salt.

I love Cutch. I really do. But when he’s hitting # 3 at this stage of his career, you know the team is going to have major problems. Rinse and repeat fellow Buccos fans (and this after an opening day win!)

I love Cutch. I really do. But when he’s hitting # 3 at this stage of his career, you know the team is going to have major problems. Rinse and repeat fellow Buccos fans (and this after an opening day win!)
The continual shake up of the batting order is nonsensical -- it is seemingly pulled out from a hat.

Baseball is so hard and frustrating to watch. They rest guys 2 weeks into the season. Then today, they are up 3 in extras. Bednar threw 11 freakin pitches in previous inning and they don't bring him out for the 10th. Pathetic.

I don't know how the Pirates are sitting at 9-6 right now. They have very, very little talent. Perhaps Keller is turning the corner and could become the pitcher we hoped for but still.....this is an atrocious team on paper. But they're winning right now!

It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited! It's only April. Don't get excited!

Nice extension on Reynolds

Saw this tidbit —It’s the largest extension ever for an outfielder who was drafted out of college.

Took 2 out of 3 against the Dodgers (should have been a sweep). The starting pitching is solid with Keller starting to look like an ace. The lineup isn’t great but when they get on base, they’re swiping bags left and right. Well managed team. Still very early but a lot to like.

Users who are viewing this thread