What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL 2020 Dallas Cowboys *** Jason Garrett responsible for yet another letdown season. Which WR should the Cowboys take with the 10th pick? (1 Viewer)

The team is a mess right now. They are paying guys too much money in the wrong spots to be a Super Bowl contender.   It would be painful but I wouldn’t pay Dak, even though they will.  He makes the team better but not a Super Bowl contender, then you have no money for anything else.   They need to rebuild the offensive line, find a pass rusher and fix the secondary just for starters.   Dallas can’t draft anymore WRs, Rbs or TE’s with top picks.  It would take 2 to 3 years of solid drafting but they will be better as a football team to pass on Dak long term.  Dallas may even be good enough to win the division next year with Dak if the team stayed relatively healthy but ultimately they’d lose.  Time to rebuild, don’t put a band aid on this thing and pay Dak or we’ll be here next year with a 8-8 or 9-7 record talking about how bad the defense is and why we can’t run the ball but we don’t have any money to sign anyone.
Sign Dak

Trade Zeke

Feature Pollard, sign him for a cheap deal or let home walk, rinse and repeat with solid but cheap backs going forward. 

Draft with the priority being OL/DL/DB/LB every single year in rounds, 1,2 & 3 unless someone special comes along. 

Switch back to 4-3. Defense fixes itself immediately. I bet we would give up 10-14 points less a week. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sign Dak

Trade Zeke

Feature Pollard, sign him for a cheap deal or let home walk, rinse and repeat with solid but cheap backs going forward. 

Draft with the priority being OL/DL/DB/LB every year in rounds 2 & 3 unless someone special comes along. 

Switch back to 4-3. Defense fixes itself immediately. I bet we would give up 10-14 points less a week. 
I agree. Dak is way better than people give credit for. I’ve never seen someone so under appreciated, and if we can change/fix the defense, then yes Dak can lead us to a Super Bowl. How nice would it be to not require Dak to score 45 points a game because we have to to win?

And yes, please trade Zeke if it can work out. 

And all this talk of rebuilding is nonsense. Reinvest in OL and defense exclusively. Switch back to the Tom Landry invented 4-3 defense. 

And all this talk of rebuilding is nonsense. Reinvest in OL and defense exclusively. Switch back to the Tom Landry invented 4-3 defense. 

This. And don’t draft a damn TE early! Those guys are rarely difference makers (see the rest of the NFC East). We have one of the best WR core in the league, and a pretty good TE coming back from injury. This defense change HAS  to happen or it won’t matter how many CeeDee’s the other teams let fall in our lap. One of the top corners should make it to us.

First year since 1985? That no Cowboys made the pro bowl. Deservedly so, but still a reality check for this franchise. Hopefully that changes next year as no doubt Dak was having one until the break heard around the world. Next year we should see Dak and CeeDee get in barring injury.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Sign Dak

Trade Zeke

Draft with the priority being OL/DL/DB/LB every year in rounds 2 & 3 unless someone special comes along. 

Signing Dak is a mistake, not because he's not a good player- he is, but not enough of a difference maker to pay $40 million annually to, as it eats into the ability to sign players around him. The Cowboys are better off drafting a QB in the first and retooling the roster. No chance anyone takes Zeke- they've paid him too much money, so we will have to deal with that contract until the first plausible "out". I completely agree with the draft priorities. I think scheme matters less than coaching. Nolan is a disaster (as is McCarthy) and they simply failed in every way. Moving to a 4-3 doesn't offset poor coaching. 

The real conundrum lies in that this team is not a true bottom feeder in the way the Jets, Jags, and Bengals are, so a full "hit the reset button" isn't really merited. Conversely, they are overrated as a potential title contender. Throwing out this season as an outlier, they have been 8-8, 10-6, and 9-7 over the past three seasons, certainly well below the elite timber in the league. They could contend for the division, but are middle of the pack overall. 

A total rebuild is not really merited, but they are also, as currently constituted, not a true contender, either. 

Defense playing well in spite of scheme! 

Here’s how things currently stand for the Dallas Cowboys…

Current Record: 6-9

Current Spot: No. 11

Strength of Schedule (SOS): .465

Highest Range: No. 7

Lowest Range: Playoff Spot (19-32)

I will say this: If the Cowboys end up winning the NFC East, they'll be the most boring team to make the playoffs in a long time.  And why do I say that?  Because they had nobody selected to the Pro Bowl this season.  If you look at the last 30+ years, every team that's made the playoffs has had at least one guy selected to the Pro Bowl during the year they were in the postseason.  And this applies to all NFL teams, not just the Cowboys.  When was the last time a team made the playoffs and not have one guy selected to the Pro Bowl?  I hope the Cowboys do make the playoffs this season.  They have not played exciting football during any stretch this season, even when Dak Prescott was healthy.  If anyone can tell me the last time any NFL team made the playoffs without having a single guy selected to the Pro Bowl, and not as an alternate, I'd really appreciate it.

I will say this: If the Cowboys end up winning the NFC East, they'll be the most boring team to make the playoffs in a long time.  And why do I say that?  Because they had nobody selected to the Pro Bowl this season.  If you look at the last 30+ years, every team that's made the playoffs has had at least one guy selected to the Pro Bowl during the year they were in the postseason.  And this applies to all NFL teams, not just the Cowboys.  When was the last time a team made the playoffs and not have one guy selected to the Pro Bowl?  I hope the Cowboys do make the playoffs this season.  They have not played exciting football during any stretch this season, even when Dak Prescott was healthy.  If anyone can tell me the last time any NFL team made the playoffs without having a single guy selected to the Pro Bowl, and not as an alternate, I'd really appreciate it.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.  

What do you think of the Kellen Moore extension?
I’m fine with it I guess. Happy to keep some consistency for Dak, provided hes back. How about you? 

Im more concerned with the HC and the DC. I thought I’ve read that Nolan is gone but nothing official. I do like the turnovers but not at the expense of stopping the run. 

I’m fine with it I guess. Happy to keep some consistency for Dak, provided hes back. How about you? 

Im more concerned with the HC and the DC. I thought I’ve read that Nolan is gone but nothing official. I do like the turnovers but not at the expense of stopping the run. 
I’m ok with Kellen. He’s still learning, he’ll be ok.

I can’t hardly watch them play that defense is so bad. I wish Jaylon Smith would somehow get traded or something 

I’m ok with Kellen. He’s still learning, he’ll be ok.

I can’t hardly watch them play that defense is so bad. I wish Jaylon Smith would somehow get traded or something 
I don’t understand why they don’t just rush Jaylon.

I mean he’s often out of position but he does hustle on every play and that’s half the battle. I do like his hitting. He’s OK as a LB. Maybe he just needs more talent around him?

If he could just stop celebrating. 

I wish we had more true Cowboys fans here. 
Most are fair weather... as soon as the team is losing they disappear and don't post for months.  You seem to have turned into one of the decent ones though.  The best two have always been Bankerguy and Manster.  Shame they don't post in here and get conversations going in here.

Most are fair weather... as soon as the team is losing they disappear and don't post for months.  You seem to have turned into one of the decent ones though.  The best two have always been Bankerguy and Manster.  Shame they don't post in here and get conversations going in here.
This right here is awesome

When the Eagles won the Super Bowl your team thread was full of fans that don’t even post much anymore if at all

”Howie is the man!!!”

”In Howie we trust!!”

”Big balls Doug , HES THE MAN”

”Can’t believe we got such a great deal on Wentz!!!!”

”Cant believe we have Alshon AND JACKSON!!!

Now its the same 5 posters complaining about Howie Doug and Wentz every day

:lmao:

This right here is awesome

When the Eagles won the Super Bowl your team thread was full of fans that don’t even post much anymore if at all

”Howie is the man!!!”

”In Howie we trust!!”

”Big balls Doug , HES THE MAN”

”Can’t believe we got such a great deal on Wentz!!!!”

”Cant believe we have Alshon AND JACKSON!!!

Now its the same 5 posters complaining about Howie Doug and Wentz every day

:lmao:
Yes, they were awesome then.  Now they are not.  We're allowed to change our mind on things when situations change.  I think it's pretty normal to compliment a guy when he's doing well, and when he shows his faults and hurts your team, to be upset with him?

The thread is still busy even during a terrible year like this.  The main posters haven't gone anywhere.  Yet your team was equally as awful as ours was this year, and your thread goes two months without a single post, yet you happily post in Eagles forums more than your own lol.

Says the guy who posts about the Eagles 10x as much as he does about his own team lol

I get along with you Deamon, but you are really just proving that these boys get to you by coming in here. Be the bigger man for once and let it go. You always seem to HAVE to get the last word and it’s childish. You are way better than that. Ignore them. 

I get along with you Deamon, but you are really just proving that these boys get to you by coming in here. Be the bigger man for once and let it go. You always seem to HAVE to get the last word and it’s childish. You are way better than that. Ignore them. 

I did forget about you when I mentioned Bankerguy, Manster, and Steady.... you're usually pretty good too.

A couple CBs there at 10, or trade back for OL. Id love to invest in Tyrons replacement now.  I dont think we should take the TE, we will have Shultz and Jarwin that are more than serviceable with all the WR talent we have.  We crush this division if Dak stays healthy.  

ETA: There is reason enough to change D coordinator.  Probably should even though second half of the season saw improvement.  

Where's

@Bankerguy 

Or am I misremembering him as a cowboy fan?
Oh he’s here. 

He realized quickly this season was toast - after the injuries. He’s also tired of this site. Game day threads, trolls, schtik and lack of intelligent conversation. First year in a long time I passed on a subscription as well. 

As for Dallas, it’s a mess. It looks better on paper than in reality. Current needs:

DT - bad draft for it. 
CB - Diggs is a player though. 
OLine. OT depending on health if Collins/Smith

Safety - I cringe thinking about our S play  

Also - LB but I blame our DTs for some of the warts  

Cap:

Zeke is the worst contract in the league  

Coopers contract in hindsight was a mistake  We would be fine without him  Gallup CD Wilson are more than fine. Cap dollars need to move to Def.

J Smith is an embarrassment, but like Zeke are stuck with him  

Coaching was awful again in all 3 phases. I have no faith in ANY of them.

Few bright spots:

-Diggs, CD, Gallup, the replacement OTs were ok.

-Lawrence are Gregory aren’t too bad either 

-Gallimore flashed at times and the new punter was a breath of fresh air.

That’s it for now...

Most fans are but this has been a tough year. Losing Dak crushed me. I knew beforehand that switching to the 3-4 would be a disaster, made no sense and would take 2 years to get the personnel which also means moving on from some of the few guys we already have. 

I like both Manster and Bankerguy a lot. We don't see eye to eye on Dak IIRC, but they'll come around. :)   

Oh he’s here. 

He realized quickly this season was toast - after the injuries. He’s also tired of this site. Game day threads, trolls, schtik and lack of intelligent conversation. First year in a long time I passed on a subscription as well. 

As for Dallas, it’s a mess. It looks better on paper than in reality. Current needs:

DT - bad draft for it. 
CB - Diggs is a player though. 
OLine. OT depending on health if Collins/Smith

Safety - I cringe thinking about our S play  

Also - LB but I blame our DTs for some of the warts  

Cap:

Zeke is the worst contract in the league  

Coopers contract in hindsight was a mistake  We would be fine without him  Gallup CD Wilson are more than fine. Cap dollars need to move to Def.

J Smith is an embarrassment, but like Zeke are stuck with him  

Coaching was awful again in all 3 phases. I have no faith in ANY of them.

Few bright spots:

-Diggs, CD, Gallup, the replacement OTs were ok.

-Lawrence are Gregory aren’t too bad either 

-Gallimore flashed at times and the new punter was a breath of fresh air.

That’s it for now...

Spot on man. Across the board. I like Cooper a lot but agree. Happy New Year!

Since Garrett was fired I have returned. I was done with the team until a change was made. 

Draft thoughts everyone??? Who is your prediction and your pet cat?

Team Needs:

-DE or edge rusher. Rumours of going to hybrid 4/3 & 3/4.

-CB. Lost Jones. The rest are FAs next year. 
-Safety. Eff, we always need a safety. 
Center. Fred retired.

-Slot WR or TE. Mike is an offensive coach, may want a new toy.

I think Henderson will be gone before 17. Chaisson is a 50/50 chance. I know we like the Center from Michigan (Ruiz-I think).  
Some seem to think the Bama safety McKinney or Delpit from LSU.

Right now, I think the most likely pick is Chaisson.

What I would do...take Jefferson the WR with a small trade down getting a bonus 3rd or 4th pick.  I think he is a match up nightmare that can be moved all over the field with a coach who will finally be creative.

Get your corner in round 2 and fill other holes Rounds 3-5. Can’t wait for the draft, need something sports related desperately to stay sane.  
Shameless BUMP for calling Jefferson. 

Here are the moves:

- Replace Nolan. Bring Lee on as a Def. Asst.
- Extend Gregory
- Re sign: Chido (1-2 years), & Woods (1 year. I don't love it, but we have nothing else). Joe Thomas, L.P., Cedrick Wilson
- Let all other expiring's walk
- Explore: Gallup trade for a defensive starter. It pains me to think about it, but he's on an expiring deal, doubt we can afford to resign him. Get something for him now
- Draft: Hoping for a QB needy team (SF, NE, LV?, MIA?) to trade up with us for one of the QBs still on the board (Lance). Take BPA! You do not draft for 1 year. You draft for 5+ years. Just because CB, S, and DT are the biggest needs, doesn't mean you take one as the inferior talent. So I'd take any of the following ahead of Surtain and Farley in no order in which most, if not all will be unavailable: Sewell, Chase, Smith, Pitts, Slater?. Take Surtain or Farley if none are available.

Those saying just trade Zeke - it’s like a 10.8 million hit on our cap. 
I admit I did not know that when I made my post about trading him. Knowing that now Im not sure it changes the cold business decision to trade him. If they are going to run this style of offense then after you consider the cost,  I think Pollard is a better fit.  

Im by no means suggesting that's what I would do if I was in charge of the Cowboys. 

Yeah but for how many years is it a cap problem? There's value to taking a one year rough hit if it cleans the sheet for the future. 

I assume because there’s a lot of coaching vacancies. I wouldn’t want him as my head coach ever, but I’ll sure as hell take him as my DC.

Back to to the 4-3!!!!!  :clap:
Right on.   He can't be worse than what left for sure

Users who are viewing this thread