What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2020 Election General*** (4 Viewers)

The breaking news on CNN...GOP asking judge to segregate ballots received after election day.  Umm...haven’t they already done that?

I don't disagree with any of this, but I just don't see any way Trump concedes, in a traditional sense.  He may have some sort of pseudo-concession press conference, and he'll leave the White House, but he will never concede that the election was not rigged against him and that he simply lost.  He will be a mainstay on political talk news television and the like, regurgitating the same tired lies for the remainder of his life.  We as a country should move on, but I don't think we will until he fades from the public spotlight.
Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton...separated at birth.

Most people seem to think Trump will hold NC. I'm not so sure. Biden's % needed there is similar to what he needed to make comebacks in other states.
I don't see where the votes will come from. NC State Board of Elections say there are 99,000 outstanding ballots (it was 116,000 a couple of days ago, don't know if the difference means that those ballots came in). In order for there to be a chance, we have to assume that all these ballots were actually sent and postmarked by Nov 3rd. These are just the requested ballots, so no one knows how many of them have actually been sent. Also, NC had early voting which a lot of people took advantage of. Maybe there are some provisional ballots to count, but there were only 24K of those in 2016. Again, can't see it (would love to be wrong).

I see that Fox has added Alaska to the "Key States" category, adding some red numbers to balance out the blue.
Can't wait for the dog sleds to come back into town with the key election breaking news on CNN for Alaska

Last edited by a moderator:
My preference would be to have Biden sit him down in the Oval Office and say, "I would be willing to pardon you for national unity. But, I am not going to do it now and give you a clean slate and the ability to try and take over this country again in 2024.  What I will do instead is instruct the Justice Dept. not to pursue any charges against you between now and election day, 2024. I will then pardon you on that day, if you and your family stay out of politics until then."
This is a bad idea and something trump would do, wielding a pardon as a bargaining chip to get what he wants. In fact we’re all pretty sure he did just this to get his people to lie to congress. So...no thanks. 

I don't see where the votes will come from. NC State Board of Elections say there are 99,000 outstanding ballots (it was 116,000 a couple of days ago, don't know if the difference means that those ballots came in). In order for there to be a chance, we have to assume that all these ballots were actually sent and postmarked by Nov 3rd. These are just the requested ballots, so no one knows how many of them have actually been sent. Also, NC had early voting which a lot of people took advantage of. Maybe there are some provisional ballots to count, but there were only 24K of those in 2016. Again, can't see it (would love to be wrong).
OK, if he has to make up 76,737 with 99,000 remaining, that's not going to happen. Don't remember what I was looking at, but I thought there was a lot more.

OK, if he has to make up 76,737 with 99,000 remaining, that's not going to happen. Don't remember what I was looking at, but I thought there was a lot more.
The election scraper website thingy has NC at 190K remaining. I have no idea where they got that number. I just found a NC twitter account that posted earlier today that NC has received 31K ballots from Nov 3-6.  

So what's the deal in PA? Is that where the state law says ballots have to be in by election day but the state supreme court said they didn't have to be? So now they are keeping them separate and not counting them until that's all cleared up?

The election scraper website thingy has NC at 190K remaining. I have no idea where they got that number. I just found a NC twitter account that posted earlier today that NC has received 31K ballots from Nov 3-6.  
Somehow I think was working with a number around 250,000 remaining. At that level, Biden would need 65%, which sounds doable. At 190k, he'd need 70%. Not impossible, but probably difficult depending on where the ballots are from. In PA and GA, so many of these late-counting ballots were from urban areas so Biden easily stayed ahead of pace and took the lead.

So what's the deal in PA? Is that where the state law says ballots have to be in by election day but the state supreme court said they didn't have to be? So now they are keeping them separate and not counting them until that's all cleared up?
Pretty much. Didn't the SC also advise this?

Just had a guy I’ve been playing dynasty FF with for years offer a $50 prop to any takers that Trump would still be president in six months. Um, okay. I like free money. 14 team league, guessing he’ll have a bunch of takers. 

We do a lot of props in this league so he’s good for it. 

PA state law says all ballots must be received by Election Day.

Democrats filed a lawsuit, arguing that the deadline should be extended for various reasons (COVID, slow post office, etc.)

State Supreme Court agreed with Democrats, extending the mail-in deadline to November 6th.

Republicans appealed to the US Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court allowed the extension to stand, but reserved the right to revisit the case after the election. Pennsylvania agreed to keep the late ballots separate, just in case there's another ruling.

Republicans are now asking the Supreme Court to re-visit the case right now, in hopes that all of the late ballots will be nullified.

Last I heard, there were only a few thousand of these ballots anyway, and likely not enough to swing the election.

Just had a guy I’ve been playing dynasty FF with for years offer a $50 prop to any takers that Trump would still be president in six months. Um, okay. I like free money. 14 team league, guessing he’ll have a bunch of takers. 

I'm so cynical about the courts and appointments and vote counting and re-counting in red states that I wouldn't take that bet. Just one man's opinion.

Just for fun, I was looking for what the most Trump county is. For example, we all know DC is heavily Democrat. According to the NYT, Biden has 92.6% of the 279k ballots counted so far in DC.  So, I wondered, what place has a lot of votes (arbitrarily looked for counties with 250k+ votes counted so far) with a high Trump %. 

Most Trump-dominant I've found so far is Montgomery County, TX. Current count is Trump 193,224 (71.3%) and Biden 74,255 (27.4%). 

Ask him to add a couple of zeros. 

Last I heard, there were only a few thousand of these ballots anyway, and likely not enough to swing the election.
I would say the word "mail" disappeared from ads and other materialsa t least a week before the election exc in context of saying it was getting too close to use the mail . You only heard about drop off.
I'd be very interested in a breakdown between # of ballots mailed vs dropped off. I don't know anyone who used the mail, which is not to say many didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
National healing is extremely important after periods of intense division.

After the Civil War, the reconstruction era (albeit way too short-lived) was a time of healing, but it didn't happen until after the South had stopped fighting and admitted defeat.

After Nixon got caught, the period of healing didn't start until after he resigned in disgrace.

We're not going to have healing in this country, pardon or no pardon, as long as Trump keeps lighting fires everywhere. He needs to concede, and he needs to admit and apologize for any criminal wrongdoing (e.g., the several counts of obstruction laid out in the Mueller report). If he won't do that, there won't be healing.
I expect Trump will issue an apology for any fires he figuratively started around the same time you see an apology from anyone for the fires they literally set in major cities around the country. 

I think you maybe are hitting on what will be a huge factor on how this goes. 

I agree with you 100%. My guess is we're in the minority. 
You may or may not be in the minority, but blanket pardon is an extreme, and a bridge too far for me personally. Can't we just start with migrating away from open unsubstantiated claims/prosecutorial threats/demeaning toward political foes? That's what needs to happen to re-normalized presidential conduct.   

I'm so cynical about the courts and appointments and vote counting and re-counting in red states that I wouldn't take that bet. Just one man's opinion.
Odds are too good not to, for me. I’m not even some sort of degenerate gambler, but this league talks so much trash and has people offering props to back up their opinions so often that I already have a bunch of prop money coming my way to play with anyways. I won $10 last week bc Gus the Bus had over a certain (reasonable) number of fantasy points, for crying out loud. 

This tweet from the AP basically says they aren't calling PA until at the very the least the vote gets to 0.5%.

A close margin and a large number of outstanding votes are what’s making the Pennsylvania contest between President Trump and Joe Biden too early to call. State law dictates that a recount must be held if the margin is less than 0.5%.

And there were many ways he could have easily won re-election. I’d bet that if he came out of his COVID diagnosis and started taking it seriously, that would have been enough.
That would require admitting that he may have been wrong.  That's not possible.

Speaking of lighting fires. That's a whole lot of money about to be burned.

RNC to raise $60 million to fund Trump legal challenges, says report

The Republican National Committee has reached out donors as it seeks to raise at least $60 million to fund legal challenges brought by President Donald Trump over the results of the US presidential election, two sources familiar with the matter said. The Trump campaign has filed lawsuits in several states following the Nov. 3 election pitting the president against Democrat Joe Biden. “They want $60 million,” said a Republican donor who received solicitations from the RNC.

From 538:

“Alaska also will count absentee ballots received through late next week. And because so many absentee ballots have not yet been counted, only about 56 percent of the state’s total vote has been tabulated.”

Why isn’t anyone worried about fraud or late arrival of ballots in Alaska?
Too cold for BBQ and beer-fueled protests. 

From 538:

“Alaska also will count absentee ballots received through late next week. And because so many absentee ballots have not yet been counted, only about 56 percent of the state’s total vote has been tabulated.”

Why isn’t anyone worried about fraud or late arrival of ballots in Alaska?
Maybe Trump doesn't realize it's part the US. He's done that before. 

Odds are too good not to, for me. I’m not even some sort of degenerate gambler, but this league talks so much trash and has people offering props to back up their opinions so often that I already have a bunch of prop money coming my way to play with anyways. I won $10 last week bc Gus the Bus had over a certain (reasonable) number of fantasy points, for crying out loud. 
Love it. I wasn't questioning your degenerate status, I was more making a comment that I'm completely uncertain that these results from these trends hold. Just skeptical is all, but I think that's more me knowing how deep Team Red/Team Blue is when it comes to vote counting and this stuff. I was down in D.C. for 2000 (I worked for a big think tank down there) and I remember how it was. It was nuts. 

I don’t know about a blanket pardon for Trump (wouldn’t help with NY anyways but just saying). He completed disregarded laws and then flouted his disregard of them for years, created so much hate and chaos — I mean he deserves it.  Why should he continue to be let off the hook? 

However, I do agree the county needs to move past him and just get back to some level of basic normalcy. Tough situation for sure. 
Yeah, short of Trump graciously admitting defeat and criminal activity, I don’t see a pardon as particularly helpful.

In his POTUS acceptance speech, Biden should open with “Mr. Trump, you’re fired” then move on to addressing the rebuilding process, refusing to utter the T word ever again.

Whoever shouted out LSU's fan board in here, this #### is wild.  TIL that the Democrats attempted to cheat to win in 2016, but underestimated just how much they needed to cheat, so Trump beat them anyway.  This time they didn't make the same mistake.
I've lurked that board since 2013. Baw lemme tell ya.

And there were many ways he could have easily won re-election. I’d bet that if he came out of his COVID diagnosis and started taking it seriously, that would have been enough.
I would have voted for him if he had promoted mask usage. I honestly don't blame him for a lot of the coronavirus stuff because I do believe that the states and the congress are responsible for that.

But just wear a mask, alright? You don't have to believe in the science of it, man. Just act like a leader would act. If he had led by example, I firmly believe that lives would have been saved and Trump would have been reelected in a landslide.

@HeavyMatt

I didn't know somebody created this screen name. :lmao:    It was long used as generic term for a FBG kind of like widget is for a product.

To whomever deleted my post, sorry, wasn't throwing anyone under the bus.

Users who are viewing this thread