What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (3 Viewers)

Probably the first of more than a few times we cut ties this off-season with SB52 vets.
Not many big names left,  ironically.

Jeffrey a big candidate, but I think they have to trade him, his contract won't work to cut him this year (and good luck trading with that injury).  Who else? Cox, graham, Johnson are going to be here. Maybe some small fries guys, but not much else...

Jeffrey a big candidate, but I think they have to trade him, his contract won't work to cut him this year (and good luck trading with that injury).  Who else? Cox, graham, Johnson are going to be here. Maybe some small fries guys, but not much else...
Maybe not all "big" names, but there will be many exits from the SB 52 roster this off-season:

Highly probable: Bradham, Alshon, Agholor, Jason Peters, Big V, Jernigan, Clement, Curry

50/50: McCloud, Douglas, Sudfeld

Not out of the realm of possibility: Jenkins, Mills

Last edited by a moderator:
Good overview on the current Alshon situation. It was puzzling back when they fully guaranteed him before the season last year, because it was already out there that he was the source in the Philly Voice hit-piece on Wentz and Kempski confirms it in his article:

(This matches with what I know.)
At the time of the Santoliquito article, Kempski said he was aware of the source and that the quotes were legit, but wouldn't reveal who it was. Maybe the team thought that gesture would keep him quiet/content, but we saw how that wasn't case. Then his play, and injuries, compounded everything. 

We're going to see/read a lot over the next few months about how the Eagles are doing the right thing by not being sentimental to SB52 players like the Phillies were to their 2008 guys, but I think this counts as a case where they did get burned by that.  

Some of the interesting things in the proposed CBA, beyond the 17 game season and 7th playoff teams:

• Rosters would increase to 48 players from 46 on gameday, with overall rosters going to 55 from 53 (including 1 designated "emergency" OL spot on gameday) 
  • Practice squads would increase to 14 players in 2022, and 12 this year, up from 10 (and include up to 2 players with unlimited accrued seasons)
  • Practice squad players promoted to the active roster would not be required to be cut and go though waivers before going back to the same team's practice squad
  • Teams would be allowed to bring back 3 players from IR (instead of 2)
  • $1.25M in salary excluded from the cap for up to 2 players that have 4+ years of service
  • Independent handling of disciplinary reviews instead of Commish (with Commish having review of all appeals)
  • THC drug testing decreased from 4-month window to 2-week window, at start of camp; no game suspensions for positive tests; THC allowable limit increased from 35 nanograms to 150; reduced number of players tested

Shefty also hinted that was the case.  More cuts to come.
Frank mentioned on his facebook where he links his articles when someone asked if they believed Nigel would be back on a cheaper deal that, he believed he got the feeling Nigel also didn't want to be here anymore. When I asked if Nigel said or did anything specific to cause him to think that he said it was just a hunch by him. 

Funny you bing up letting go Jeffrey

Didn't see this posted and I've been saying for awhile I believe he's the rat. I've heard from people on the inside who also believe this. Now it seems Brandon Lee Gowton of Bleeding Green has talked to Jimmy Kempski who has always believed ALshon was the rat leaking stuff on Wentz. Jimmy believes the Eagles will flat-out cut Jeffrey and said he's the rat. When BLG asked him Jimmy said he can't say but said the Eagles will cut him just to get him out of their building.

It's now being reported by severely sources that Carson and ALshon never saw eye to eye. Alshon also had issues with his QBs in CHI and had heard one of the reasons CHI let him go was because of issues between him and teammates in CHI. The Eagles took a chance believing they had locker room leaders who could control ALshon and help him be a better teammate. Obviously that experiment looks like it's failed.

NFL Sources: ALshon and Carson never saw eye to eye Jimmy kempski: Eagles will flat out cut him just to get him out of their building

Funny you bing up letting go Jeffrey

Didn't see this posted and I've been saying for awhile I believe he's the rat. I've heard from people on the inside who also believe this. Now it seems Brandon Lee Gowton of Bleeding Green has talked to Jimmy Kempski who has always believed ALshon was the rat leaking stuff on Wentz. Jimmy believes the Eagles will flat-out cut Jeffrey and said he's the rat. When BLG asked him Jimmy said he can't say but said the Eagles will cut him just to get him out of their building.

It's now being reported by severely sources that Carson and ALshon never saw eye to eye. Alshon also had issues with his QBs in CHI and had heard one of the reasons CHI let him go was because of issues between him and teammates in CHI. The Eagles took a chance believing they had locker room leaders who could control ALshon and help him be a better teammate. Obviously that experiment looks like it's failed.

NFL Sources: ALshon and Carson never saw eye to eye Jimmy kempski: Eagles will flat out cut him just to get him out of their building
Not failed.  Got a superbowl with him as wr1

But if he needs to go then so be it.  I won't miss him

Some of the interesting things in the proposed CBA, beyond the 17 game season and 7th playoff teams:

• Rosters would increase to 48 players from 46 on gameday, with overall rosters going to 55 from 53 (including 1 designated "emergency" OL spot on gameday) 
  • Practice squads would increase to 14 players in 2022, and 12 this year, up from 10 (and include up to 2 players with unlimited accrued seasons)
  • Practice squad players promoted to the active roster would not be required to be cut and go though waivers before going back to the same team's practice squad
  • Teams would be allowed to bring back 3 players from IR (instead of 2)
  • $1.25M in salary excluded from the cap for up to 2 players that have 4+ years of service
  • Independent handling of disciplinary reviews instead of Commish (with Commish having review of all appeals)
  • THC drug testing decreased from 4-month window to 2-week window, at start of camp; no game suspensions for positive tests; THC allowable limit increased from 35 nanograms to 150; reduced number of players tested
All of that I really love. I hate the increase of playoff teams. I'm always up for 17 games if they only play 3 preseason games but the league is also showing their cards on how much or very little they do care about Player safety and how it's just an excuse they use now for rule changes and CYA's 

I don't get why you'd cut Jeffrey and take a loss though. If you can trade him, even for a 7th - then sure you do it. But to lose cap space? Has to be a better way imo.

Not failed.  Got a superbowl with him as wr1

But if he needs to go then so be it.  I won't miss him
Talking in terms of him in the locker room. Yes they got a SB with him on the team and he did catch a TD in the SB and 73 YDS on 3 catches but most of that was on the long TD. He never had a game outside the one early in that season with more then 9yds or eclipsed over 7 recs. He score more then once only on game. Actually scratch that he had 2 TDs in the NFCC game but the 2nd was when the game was well out of reach in the 4th QTR. Not saying he didn't contribute to the SB victory but I also believe we could've won with a less talented #1 then him 

I don't get why you'd cut Jeffrey and take a loss though. If you can trade him, even for a 7th - then sure you do it. But to lose cap space? Has to be a better way imo.
From what I heard they don't even care at this point. Yes if they could get a 7th rounder and that was all by all means they would do it. From what I heard when asked how desperate if the team looking to get rid of him basically they are desperate enough they'd take that huge cap hit and want him out of their building any means necessary. If that means taking the $26M in cap hit then so be it. Like JK stated they were hoping the contract would make him content but it obviously didn't. It's gotten so bad at this point combine the injuries and poor play with his attitude and being the rat I was basically told the minute the comments came out again in OCT if the Eagles could cut him they would've done so that day and be done with it. Also Chris Long did not call out Josina Anderson for nothing or just to defend Wentz after he was hurt and she made those comments in the playoff game. Long knew Alshon was the rat and his insinuation for her to let players know when she's around to stay away from her was a shot at Alshon Jeffrey as well. Given long's brother Kyle played with Jeffrey and played on the same side of the ball I heard he may have been involved in putting Jeffey out to the team at this point but theres no confirmation. if he did help it was through his brother Chris. Chris sees Wentz like a brother and has always been there since he signed to defend or help Wentz anyway possible. He took what media people were saying about his "little brother" apparently really personal. Given that he's no longer a player and retired he felt he could take the gloves off and get a little dirty on some of the more idiotic comments now. 

Nah, signing him was a good move. It paid off, not really a question about that. The bad move was guaranteeing him the contract last year.
Keeping him beyond last season was terrible. Should've looked into trading him. Especially if they knew he was the rat. It's basically buyers remorse at this point. I can't find the direct post I made back in the season in the other thread (This boards search function is absolutely terrible) but if you remember I talked to my Co workers son and he said they knew who the rat was but weren't sure if others were involved. When they were certain they'd get rid of them no matter what. They were fuming them and fuming now. There's players who are super close to Wentz who are out for blood. It's now an issue where the Eagles can't keep Alshon no matter what unless they want a player mutiny in the locker room. If the team needs to bite the bullet and take the $26M hit then they will. Unless they can prove conduct by Alshon and void the guarantees in the deal. Eagles best case Scenario right now is the league gets a new CBA soon and they can give him the June 1st Cut designation

Watching tape of all the rookie WR’s and we have no excuse for not getting Jalen Reagor in this draft. This kid looks like he’s going to be amazing. 

Watching tape of all the rookie WR’s and we have no excuse for not getting Jalen Reagor in this draft. This kid looks like he’s going to be amazing. 
I'd rather get someone who's played in a conference where they actually try to play defense. I've never been big drafting players from the big 12 offensively. Outside of the top 3 big names skill wise I have a hard time putting anyone else currently from one of those schools in there offensively 

From Ruben Franks Facts this is a big problem 

ALSHON VS. JAMES THRASH: Forget all the Carson stuff. Forget about the injuries and the terrible body language and the awful contract and the dropped passes that turned into Nick Foles interceptions in the Super Bowl and the playoff loss to the Saints. Let’s just focus on production, and Alshon Jeffery in three seasons in an Eagles uniform has 165 catches, 2,122 yards and 19 touchdowns.

Let’s do a little comparison of three WRs. These are averages based on their years when they were regulars on the Eagles:

Todd Pinkston: 44 catches, 659 yards, 15.0 ypc, 4.0 TDs

James Thrash: 55 catches, 675 yards, 12.4 ypc, 5.0 TDs

Alshon Jeffery: 55 catches, 707 yards, 12.9 ypc, 6 TDs

Jeffery did have a big 2017 postseason, but for the most part he’s been a pedestrian receiver since he’s been here. He’s the 14th-highest-paid WR in the NFL, but since 2017 he’s 37th among WRs in yards per game (54).

He’s an underachieving, overpaid, injury-prone 30-year-old James Thrash clone. Howie’s gotta find an exit strategy.

From Ruben Franks Facts this is a big problem 

ALSHON VS. JAMES THRASH: Forget all the Carson stuff. Forget about the injuries and the terrible body language and the awful contract and the dropped passes that turned into Nick Foles interceptions in the Super Bowl and the playoff loss to the Saints. Let’s just focus on production, and Alshon Jeffery in three seasons in an Eagles uniform has 165 catches, 2,122 yards and 19 touchdowns.

Let’s do a little comparison of three WRs. These are averages based on their years when they were regulars on the Eagles:

Todd Pinkston: 44 catches, 659 yards, 15.0 ypc, 4.0 TDs

James Thrash: 55 catches, 675 yards, 12.4 ypc, 5.0 TDs

Alshon Jeffery: 55 catches, 707 yards, 12.9 ypc, 6 TDs

Jeffery did have a big 2017 postseason, but for the most part he’s been a pedestrian receiver since he’s been here. He’s the 14th-highest-paid WR in the NFL, but since 2017 he’s 37th among WRs in yards per game (54).

He’s an underachieving, overpaid, injury-prone 30-year-old James Thrash clone. Howie’s gotta find an exit strategy.
Wow

They have to release him because they would have to GIVE a draft pick in any trade (ala the Brock Oswiller deal.) A 30yo, injured WR with locker room issues and a huge contract? No one is looking to give even a 7th rounder to take that on. 

The only hope they have at salvaging anything in this situation is that the new CBA gets done soon, so they can get the "Post June 1st" designation back (that can't be used int he last year of a labor deal.) That will allow them to spread the cap hit over two seasons instead of take it all on this year's cap. 

need2know said:
I didn't even know it was that bad but I knew for what he was paid he was below avg on production for sure. But to be almost as bad as both of those other 2 and the fact he's paid more then both were probably combined makes this pretty bad 

The Noid said:
They have to release him because they would have to GIVE a draft pick in any trade (ala the Brock Oswiller deal.) A 30yo, injured WR with locker room issues and a huge contract? No one is looking to give even a 7th rounder to take that on. 

The only hope they have at salvaging anything in this situation is that the new CBA gets done soon, so they can get the "Post June 1st" designation back (that can't be used int he last year of a labor deal.) That will allow them to spread the cap hit over two seasons instead of take it all on this year's cap. 
This is for everyone but I'm curious your thoughts on this. Anyway if the new CBA doesn't get done soon the Eagles try and pull a TO situation here and say Alshon was Conduct detrimental? I know the article said given they didn't use it initial that would be used against them but they could maybe get away we didn't use it to begin with but obviously it did continue and he just admitted himself he never saw eye to eye with his QB and had a rocky relationship. He's essentially admitting he's guilty. I'm not lawyer or CBA guru but would that be possible and use Alshon's comments over the last few days against him in a case? 

This is for everyone but I'm curious your thoughts on this. Anyway if the new CBA doesn't get done soon the Eagles try and pull a TO situation here and say Alshon was Conduct detrimental? I know the article said given they didn't use it initial that would be used against them but they could maybe get away we didn't use it to begin with but obviously it did continue and he just admitted himself he never saw eye to eye with his QB and had a rocky relationship. He's essentially admitting he's guilty. I'm not lawyer or CBA guru but would that be possible and use Alshon's comments over the last few days against him in a case? 
I don't think they go there. With TO, everything was public and out in the open as far as his antics/conduct. Even if Josina Anderson or Joseph Santoliquito outed Alshon as their source, I still think it's an uphill battle to get "bad mouthing a QB behind his back" to fly as a reason to void $26 million in guaranteed money. 

Just to put a bow on the Alshon thing, here's the most direct evidence we will probably ever get to confirm it:

1/21/19 - Philly Voice article is published where players bash Wentz. Joe Santoliquito is the writer, but mentions beat writer Jimmy Kempski as one of many Philly Voice peers that helped "contribute."

1/24/19 - Jimmy Kempski clarifies his involvement:

I indeed did not contribute any writing or reporting to the story in any way, as Joe clarified. I read an early version it, and recommended that some things come out, which they did. Beyond that, I had no involvement at all, and did not (and do not) want my name associated with the story, or any story that I did not produce, for that matter, that is well-received or not.

So you don’t stand behind the story, Jimmy?

It’s not my place to stand behind it, beside it, or in front of it. What I will say is this. Joe is not making up a story. Notable players said the things Joe said they said in his story. A common criticism of Joe that I’ve seen is that he’s not a regular Eagles beat reporter, and thus doesn’t have the contacts that a regular beat writer would

2/19/20 - Jimmy Kempski publishes an article detailing the options for moving on from Alshon, as that seems to be the direction things are heading. In it, he mentions Alshon being an anonymous source that bashes Wentz matches his own, verifiable knowledge.

In November, the Eagles' radio network partner's sideline reporter outed Jeffery as the anonymous (Alshonymous) source who criticized Carson Wentz in each of the last two seasons to national ESPN reporter Josina Anderson, which created significant distractions for the team. (This matches with what I know.)

"This matches with what I know" means Kempski is either corroborating the outing of the Alshon/Josina connection by "the Eagles' radio network reporter" (Howard Eskin), or he is saying Eskin's report aligns with a similar anonymous bad-mouthing of Wentz by Alshon that he has first-hand knowledge of (read: the Santoliquito source.)

My bet is it's the latter, but in either case it's still confirmation from a trustworthy beat reporter that Alshon was a main source of sowing discourse in the locker room. 

DJackson10 said:
I'd rather get someone who's played in a conference where they actually try to play defense. I've never been big drafting players from the big 12 offensively. Outside of the top 3 big names skill wise I have a hard time putting anyone else currently from one of those schools in there offensively 
This kid reminds me of Tyreek Hill and I’m ok with that 👍 

Just don't get why they don't just IR him to start and have his sit for the year if they can't trade him.  You don't have IR'd players in team meetings and such, right?

Just to put a bow on the Alshon thing, here's the most direct evidence we will probably ever get to confirm it:

1/21/19 - Philly Voice article is published where players bash Wentz. Joe Santoliquito is the writer, but mentions beat writer Jimmy Kempski as one of many Philly Voice peers that helped "contribute."

2/19/20 - Jimmy Kempski publishes an article detailing the options for moving on from Alshon, as that seems to be the direction things are heading. In it, he mentions Alshon being an anonymous source that bashes Wentz matches his own, verifiable knowledge.

"This matches with what I know" means Kempski is either corroborating the outing of the Alshon/Josina connection by "the Eagles' radio network reporter" (Howard Eskin), or he is saying Eskin's report aligns with a similar anonymous bad-mouthing of Wentz by Alshon that he has first-hand knowledge of (read: the Santoliquito source.)

My bet is it's the latter, but in either case it's still confirmation from a trustworthy beat reporter that Alshon was a main source of sowing discourse in the locker room. 
Funny thing about this too was that many people (I think Jimmy did too) bashed Eskin when he said he knew who it was who was talking to Josina. 

Either way he’s gone which is good. Now sigh Cooper and draft Lamb/Ruggs/Reagor and our offense is incredible 

Just don't get why they don't just IR him to start and have his sit for the year if they can't trade him.  You don't have IR'd players in team meetings and such, right?
My understanding is they can't, he'd be put on the PUP to start the year. 

This is a good read.

"Alshon won't be eligible for IR," said Corry. "He would likely start training camp on PUP because of the foot. He's out a minimum of 6 weeks if put on reserve PUP after the roster cutdown."

And of course, by Week 7 of the regular season, Jeffery would likely be ready to play. Obviously, you can't just keep guys on PUP – or IR them – if they are healthy.

Funny thing about this too was that many people (I think Jimmy did too) bashed Eskin when he said he knew who it was who was talking to Josina. 

Either way he’s gone which is good. Now sigh Cooper and draft Lamb/Ruggs/Reagor and our offense is incredible 
No way Lamb is there. 

This kid reminds me of Tyreek Hill and I’m ok with that 👍 
I don't think any of the guys people mentioned will there. Theres just too many teams in front of us needing WR and a few teams who could use a WR but not desperate but might if they see guys go at a high rate. I've also read the kid has zero knowledge of a route tree he's just told to go out run his man and we'll get it too ya. He has decent hands but does have some consistency issues with dropping catchable balls. Seems more like a one trick pony in the NFL. Hill at least had some concept of a route tree plus Return specialist ability similar to DeSean Jackson. I'm not into taking a guy who needs to learn the entire route tree that high. 

Honestly think our future is in looking at these names Laviska Shenault, Justin Jefferson, Brandon Ayuk, etc. WOuldn't shock me if they went CB there either. 

If the front office does their job, he should be fighting for a spot and lose in training camp. Really won't know until after FA and the draft, but I'm hoping they have Jackson, JJAW, a FA signing and 2 draft picks.
Why do you see him losing to JJAW?
I think Ward gets a legit shot to compete for the Slot WR spot, so he won't be in a "competition" with JJAW. Same thing with Boston Scott; he'll get a chance to compete for that 3rd down Sproles-type role, but neither of them are locks. As good as they did in stepping in, I don't think they are studs that we were fortunate enough to get lucky with. 

2nd round pick vs UDFA. JJAW would have to be absolutely terrible to get cut. Again, this is all assuming they acquire as many new WRs as I'm hoping.
There’s no excuse and it would be malpractice to not add Cooper/Anderson and draft or trade up for one this year. 

I think it was more Eskin report aligns with what he's heard. 

I'm going to go through this thread by thread

1. First video ok I like the speed but thats some terrible arm tackling didn't even look like guys tried and poor containment. THere's no way if you defend correctly a huge gain like that should happen 

2. Ok I see he does have some return ability

3. I'd like to see this one on real time film because it looks like the DB in the separation is going in super slow motion. 

4. Don't think Ive ever questioned the dudes speed but there's still. difference from college speed and NFL speed. OSU has some very good NFL prospects and from the gif shown he looks much slower against more capable NFL talent and even better tackling there so this is why I mention I'm hesitant on guys from a conference that plays arena league ball

5. I can't comment on contestant catches as I'm not expert. I will give my opinion when I know a guy is capable of doing it and just flat out lazy about it or something else. Neither of those it seems he does though 

6. Overall its a nice breakdown however he doesn't go anywhere on dropped passes issues nor the extent or lack there of his route tree. Again I also noticed some huge difference when playing in his conference to the OSU game. He looked much slower and guys were a lot better bringing him down after the catch or containing or limiting his damage when he got the ball. There's a quite a few difference of opinion on him as well. Some feel he should be a first round pick while others feel like he should be more of an early day 2 pick 

Highlights from the combine press conferences today:

Howie

• Non-committal on Jason Peters returning
  • Goal this off-season is to "retool", not "rebuild"; 3-year plan
  • Won't comment on trades (re: Darius Slay)
  • Tight-lipped on contract talks with Malcolm Jenkins
  • On Alshon: Getting him healthy is main concern
  • Willing to use draft capital (10 picks) to move up
  • Will be more active in FA than last 2 years, due to comp pick situation (Eagles have few players leaving that will earn good comp picks)
  • FA focus will be on long-term players
  • Confident in Andre Dillard, if Peters is not back
  • Doug was 100% in charge of coaching staff changes
Doug

• I was 100% in charge of coaching staff changes
  • Re: new coaching structure: wants Press Taylor to have close connection with Wentz in QB room, but also offensive game plan input
  • Said hiring OC was hindered by him not wanting to give up play calling
  • Scangarello will "bridge the gap" between passing game and running game coordinators (basically, he's the OC)
  • Would prefer to have Jason Peters back, but that's a Howie thing
  • No issues between Wentz and Jeffery :rolleyes:
  • Back-up QB is important, will make sure they have the right guy

Howie on WIP this morning:

• Working relationships at combine, could lead to possible trades later
  • We have plenty of information for evaluating players, need to do a better job of using that info to make more right than wrong decisions
  • Wentz off rookie contract means different approach to building roster going forward (young players and their affordable contracts are key)
  • Didn't watch more than some of "All or Nothing"; too painful to re-live since it didn't end in a championship
  • Up and down the organization, they are looking to be proactive in changing things 
  • Veiled shot at Joe Douglas and Alshon by saying they depend on past relationships with coaches, players and front office to vouch for a guy's character that sometimes goes wrong
  • Building around Wentz's success is priority in draft; good pass rush is an extension of that
  • Wants to spout off about Clowney situation ("We're sick about it"), but is afraid he'll cost the team draft picks if he does

• We have plenty of information for evaluating players, need to do a better job of using that info to make more right than wrong decisions
  • Wentz off rookie contract means different approach to building roster going forward (young players and their affordable contracts are key)
  • Didn't watch more than some of "All or Nothing"; too painful to re-live since it didn't end in a championship
  • Up and down the organization, they are looking to be proactive in changing things 
  • Veiled shot at Joe Douglas and Alshon by saying they depend on past relationships with coaches, players and front office to vouch for a guy's character that sometimes goes wrong
  • Building around Wentz's success is priority in draft; good pass rush is an extension of that
  • Wants to spout off about Clowney situation ("We're sick about it"), but is afraid he'll cost the team draft picks if he does
What is the "Clowney Situation"? I don't know what this refers to.

The Noid said:

I heard the audio of this clip. Angelo is such a punk and liar. People don't feel disconnected to the Eagles thats just you Angelo. Honestly if the Org didn't have a working relationship with the Eagles I do wonder if Angelo wouldn't even be talking #### on the team similar to how Eskin use to talk poorly about the Phillies. Angelo was obviously looking for just a sound clip to ##### about thats it. We all know the play and been talked about at adnausem. It was a BS call based on BS rules that are there for nothing more then the league to protect their own asses. It's unfortunate and over and done with lets all move on. 

Users who are viewing this thread