What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Thread (1 Viewer)

Pro Tip
Put buckets in the yard to collect rain water. Great for flushing
Until those buckets become missiles
I am convinced my street is on some secret grid. All the streets around us have lost power except us. Same thing happened with Irma. We are all the way in the back of our neighborhood on a culdesac.
My new neighborhood is on the same circuit as a nursing home, so we are evidently top priority of power goes out.

I have family all over in Florida.
Cousin in Manatee County, no power, but no real damage.
Multiple cousins on the east coast, Satellite Beach and south, no power, but again no damage.
Sister in law in Jax, probably without power, haven't gotten an update.

Then my family in Charleston are getting hammered. Dad, sister and brother have had power flickering, but so far no outages.
My mother-in-law is in an assisted living facility outside of Charleston, they are on generator power.

Here in the Columbia area, we are getting heavy gusts and rain, but nothing too major. I looked at radar a while ago, and the rain band we were in stretched from Charleston to Columbia.

About the insurance in FL, it’s not so much about the catastrophic events that occur but more about fraud and litigation. That’s why carriers are leaving the state…not because of hurricanes.
I have seen this mentioned a few times in several places. What does that mean -- people just sue in Florida more than the rest of the country and make fraudulent insurance claims?

There was some discussion about this here a couple years ago. Its pretty fascinating and does seem to be pretty much an issue specific to Florida. Insurance companies are not blameless by any means, but the scam is essentially a fraud team that consists of lawyers, private inspectors and roofers. I think in some forms of the scheme the homeowners assign their insurance claim rights to the roofer and they are not even involved.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/roofing-scams-florida-property-insurance-hurricane-rcna29649

So I tried to go to Ft Myers and Naples for damage assesement, but after filling up in Brandon, I needed to top off the tank about halfway down just to have enough to get home and couldn't find any gas south of Sarasota that didn't have a line a mile long, literally, so I had to cut Naples from the trip.

I made it to Ft Myers, not by the water but on Hwy 41, I didn't see any destroyed buildings but saw plenty of damage. Downed trees, almost no business signs left, random debris here and there...The traffic was the worst I've ever driven in - so many people on the road with almost nothing open, it was nuts. And with most traffic lights out, it was like playing intersection roulette every couple of miles. It's amazing gow many people don't know the 4 way stop rule. I saw at least 10 almost-accidents, all in the middle of intersections. At one point it took me 30 minutes to go about a quarter mile before a busy intersection.

If a business was open, it was swamped. McDonalds had a line around the building and block. Every gas station that had gas had a huge line and gridlock a half mile in every direction from it. Most stations without gas weren't open. I stopped in one gasless station that didn't have power, but they were open, you could see it was dark inside. The guy at the door was telling everyone it was cash only, no change given, and as long as you were close to the price, you were good. I grabbed a drink and small bag of chips, gave them a $5 and I was on my way.

Ended up trying a back road route to avoid traffic on the main rd ahead, and a few miles in it was flooded enough for me to say NOPE so turned around only to end up on another road where a downed tree had it completely blocked. Finally got to I-75 and had a major backup a few miles before the Sumter Rd exit in North Port because the ramps were blocked and the road below the interstate was underwater. Snapped a pic of a Submerged car on the ramp.

It took me almost 4 hours to get home, a trip that usually takes about 2 hours. It's just insane down there.

A couple pics:

Top Golf Ft Myers

US 41

Dangling traffic light

Sumter Rd

Every gas station that had gas had a huge line and gridlock a half mile in every direction from it. Most stations without gas weren't open. I stopped in one gasless station that didn't have power, but they were open, you could see it was dark inside. The guy at the door was telling everyone it was cash only, no change given, and as long as you were close to the price, you were good. I grabbed a drink and small bag of chips, gave them a $5 and I was on my way.
GasBuddy App is your friend. Back in 2017 when we evacuated for Irma, The traffic was ridiculous and coming home to Miami from Panama City, trying to find gas was a real adventure. I realized that the GasBuddy app was being updated if gas stations were without power and/or without gas. It actually made finding gas pretty easy because the updates were being done in real time by everyone else who was looking for the same thing. I actually use the app quite a bit to find the cheapest gas but this added benefit to actually FIND gas was awesome.

This saved us. (I added the highlights and arrows myself for clarity. I searched Fort Myers.)

In-laws in Cape Coral are being told to expect no power for ~4wks. Yikes.
That seems extreme.

My Friday morning (which would have been Florida’s Thursday afternoon), I ended up having a wellness check done on my parents through the Collier County sheriffs office. Also received some texts today from them that they were up at Publix getting coffee and lunch!

supposed to fly in to Miami from Tokyo on Tuesday and will head over to help in anyway I can…

Unbelievable. They were told to evacuate. Will be interesting to hear the circumstances that led to the deaths.
But then who would post all these great videos we are getting on Twitter? I told my wife that last night, for all these "oh my gosh, these videos are horrific" we see, somebody was standing there taking it. They ain't all Ring camera's.
I would imagine that a lot of the folks who stayed were older, had health issues, and leaving their home and driving somewhere was scary enough that they decided to stay.
I think* we had a 24 hour max evac notice for the worst areas here, easy to look back and say everyone should have left now but this thing was gonna hit Tampa, until it wasn't. I extend a modicum of grace to those who didn't, couldn't leave. Worst case scenario storm, reports of folks inland along 41 having to swim to neighbors 2nd story window w their kids, dogs just doeI asked him if I could come get him, help him somehow and he responded by telling me about the significant increase in crabs in the gulf .... because of the storm surge hitting the Lani Kai. iykyk. They should make a 30 for 30 about Matt. Im relatively high/dry and inland so its easy for me to say in hindsight that I woulda left if I was in Iona, Whiskey Creek, Island Park....but if i'm honest with myself, I don't know if I would ha
Unbelievable. They were told to evacuate. Will be interesting to hear the circumstances that led to the deaths.
But then who would post all these great videos we are getting on Twitter? I told my wife that last night, for all these "oh my gosh, these videos are horrific" we see, somebody was standing there taking it. They ain't all Ring camera's.
I would imagine that a lot of the folks who stayed were older, had health issues, and leaving their home and driving somewhere was scary enough that they decided to stay.
I think* we had a 24 hour max evac notice for the worst areas here, easy to look back and say everyone should have left now but this thing was gonna hit Tampa, until it wasn't. I extend a modicum of grace to those who didn't, couldn't leave. Worst case scenario storm, reports of folks inland along 41 having to swim to neighbors 2nd story window w their kids, dogs just doesn't compute for us that ate Wilma, Charley, Irma. My buddy has 5 feet of water in his first floor bar under his stilt home right now, still, in south ft myers, he somehow saved the 400+ bottles of whiskey he's got while getting slammed by surge. I asked him if I could come get him, help him somehow and he responded by telling me about the significant increase in crabs in the gulf .... because of the storm surge hitting the Lani Kai. iykyk. They should make a 30 for 30 about Matt. Im relatively high/dry and inland so its easy for me to say in hindsight that I woulda left if I was in Iona, Whiskey Creek, Island Park....but if i'm honest with myself, I don't know if I would have. Probably now, knowing what I know. Yep, got net back and yep, drinking...and incredibly grateful. Cheers.
Lol…Lani Kai. used to go up to the bar on top during my teenage years at Naples high school. Good times…

So I tried to go to Ft Myers and Naples for damage assesement,
Are you doing this for professional reasons?

I want to know about Estero Blvd. We almost bought a condo 10 years ago right across the street from the old publix, The Seaside Resort. We rented there for a week last Dec for my wife's bday and I was kicking myself in the butt for not buying back then...now not so much.

Love you Ft. Myers Beach.

I hope the Dolphin Motor Inn which is bayside frontage made it. We vacationed there in the '60's when my dad taught me how to fish. My sister flew off the pool slide and hit the deck so hard they ambulanced her out and she ruptured her spleen! My folks got a free week for the mishap. We went there year after year with a short drive from Miami. I'll never forget catching a stingray off the gulf pier one night. That pier is long gone as well as the newest one...

I want to know about Estero Blvd.

It was for work, I have several accounts down there and wanted to see if any had damage. I could only get to a few before I had to head home.

The only thing I've seen of Estero Blvd has been news or Twitter footage, here's a couple: (search "estero blvd" on twitter and click the Video heading to see a bunch of different vodeos)

Last edited:
Every gas station that had gas had a huge line and gridlock a half mile in every direction from it. Most stations without gas weren't open. I stopped in one gasless station that didn't have power, but they were open, you could see it was dark inside. The guy at the door was telling everyone it was cash only, no change given, and as long as you were close to the price, you were good. I grabbed a drink and small bag of chips, gave them a $5 and I was on my way.
GasBuddy App is your friend. Back in 2017 when we evacuated for Irma, The traffic was ridiculous and coming home to Miami from Panama City, trying to find gas was a real adventure. I realized that the GasBuddy app was being updated if gas stations were without power and/or without gas. It actually made finding gas pretty easy because the updates were being done in real time by everyone else who was looking for the same thing. I actually use the app quite a bit to find the cheapest gas but this added benefit to actually FIND gas was awesome.

This saved us. (I added the highlights and arrows myself for clarity. I searched Fort Myers.)

I did not know this. Could have used it this morning, although every place I found that had gas was already swamped. Good to know going forward!

I want to know about Estero Blvd. We almost bought a condo 10 years ago right across the street from the old publix, The Seaside Resort. We rented there for a week last Dec for my wife's bday and I was kicking myself in the butt for not buying back then...now not so much.

Love you Ft. Myers Beach.

I hope the Dolphin Motor Inn which is bayside frontage made it. We vacationed there in the '60's when my dad taught me how to fish. My sister flew off the pool slide and hit the deck so hard they ambulanced her out and she ruptured her spleen! My folks got a free week for the mishap. We went there year after year with a short drive from Miami. I'll never forget catching a stingray off the gulf pier one night. That pier is long gone as well as the newest one...
Estero Blvd:

I've been through 3 pretty good ones, Andrew almost killed us in S. Miami. Ivan and Dennis were nuisances with alot of cleanup and power outages for a week each- that was in Destin both on the tail ends of 2005.

What I remember most about the aftermath in Destin was all of the boats that had broken loose and were grounded along hwy 98. We went to bank auctions looking to buy a damaged sailboat. We had just been certified by ASA in Pensacola on a 3 day sailing course. We were planning on flying to the USVI and the BVI and renting sailboats. Never happened.

I can only imagine all of the damaged sailboats in Cape Coral. All of those canal houses advertised sailboat access to the gulf, we were interested in houses there too because of the sailing bennies. Probably another vessel wasteland...

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Part of Interstate 75 is closed Friday night due to flooding from the Myakka River, the Florida Department of Transportation said.

Due to the rising water, FDOT said I-75 is closed in both directions from mile marker 179 (North Port / Toledo Blade Blvd) to mile marker 191 (Englewood / Jacaranda Blvd).

FDOT said drivers planning on traveling on I-75 to southwest Florida should seek an alternate route

There's a fish storm that's designated but there's a mix of trash in the Carib that isn't that could be invested tomorrow.

I’m spending the weekend at a hotel in Fort Lauderdale. It’s so nice to have power and clean, hot water.

I just read that Lee County schools are closed for the upcoming week and they have no idea when they’re reopen. RSW (Fort Myers) airport is closed until further notice.

I did see plenty of lineman worker trucks heading west on 75 yesterday so that’s a good sign.

T&P's to all of you living through this down there now. Bonita Springs has been like a 2nd home for me for ~15 years, and although it's just property damage, it's difficult to see all of our favorite places down there utterly destroyed. I've seen pictures of Doc's beach house, Coconut Jack's, Barefoot Beach Club, and my MIL's car and building. I haven't seen pics of other favorites like Taco Mix and the Fish House, but I assume those are destroyed too. Probably the two bait shops we frequent as well, and the awesome beer store, and the list goes on.

Just shows that hurricane predictions are still not an exact science. I'm reading people in the paper today saying, "it was supposed to hit Tampa, not Naples. We didn't even board our windows."

T&P's to all of you living through this down there now. Bonita Springs has been like a 2nd home for me for ~15 years, and although it's just property damage, it's difficult to see all of our favorite places down there utterly destroyed. I've seen pictures of Doc's beach house, Coconut Jack's, Barefoot Beach Club, and my MIL's car and building. I haven't seen pics of other favorites like Taco Mix and the Fish House, but I assume those are destroyed too. Probably the two bait shops we frequent as well, and the awesome beer store, and the list goes on.
I hope Master Bait & Tackle remains.

Just shows that hurricane predictions are still not an exact science. I'm reading people in the paper today saying, "it was supposed to hit Tampa, not Naples. We didn't even board our windows."

Just shows people don't know how to read a forecast.

Naples was under a warning Monday 5pm. That's the single best method to say get the **** out.

5 days out Naples was the center of the cone as a Major landfall. It stayed in the cone the entire time, but teetered on the edge as of Tues AM. Given that it fell north of Naples, that's reasonable. The cone measures (quite well) the uncertainties in the models and the forecast.

The thing that has to stop is focusing on the center of the cone as "the track". If you are in the cone and can see water, get ready for an impact. If you can't see water, get ready to go without power. If you see Reed Timmer, run.

Ok this is pretty awesome.

NOAA is putting together satellite map images of the area after Ian...you can zoom in really close. It's only a partial map of the area so far but its being updated as they get imagery. You can't look up addresses but street names are there until you zoom in all the way, so if you have family or friends, you may be able to see what their house/street/area looks like. Just zoom in like you would in Google maps. Here ya go:

Crazy how Ft Myers beach is gone but Marco Island looks like it did before Ian.

Last edited:
It does feel like the local officials sat on their hands thru this one. With the overwhelming amount of information available you can see a situation where the "I do my own research" types get in charge and just look for something that validates them sitting on their ***. With this storm there was a lot of that, leading many on social and occasionally here to say this whole thing was an "overreaction" or "not like a nuclear bomb" and such things. For storms like Irma people were getting moving 5 days out, bullhorns from cops were going into areas telling people to move. Virtually none of that happened for Ian until Tuesday in Fort Myers by all accounts.

Ok this is pretty awesome.

NOAA is putting together satellite map images of the area after Ian...you can zoom in really close. It's only a partial map of the area so far but its being updated as they get imagery. You can't look up addresses but street names are there until you zoom is all the way, so if you have family or friends, you may be able to see what their area looks like. Here ya go:

Damn think I can see my in-laws condo on this right on Estero Blvd. They are trying to get back to get some stuff out before mold ruins everything. They were told no power for 1-2 months, may be inhabitable for up to a year. Just awful for so many people, and a lot of them elderly.

It does feel like the local officials sat on their hands thru this one. With the overwhelming amount of information available you can see a situation where the "I do my own research" types get in charge and just look for something that validates them sitting on their ***. With this storm there was a lot of that, leading many on social and occasionally here to say this whole thing was an "overreaction" or "not like a nuclear bomb" and such things. For storms like Irma people were getting moving 5 days out, bullhorns from cops were going into areas telling people to move. Virtually none of that happened for Ian until Tuesday in Fort Myers by all accounts.
I said a few days ago how I drove through Fort Myers on my way out and talked to people who were stunningly nonchalant. Makes more sense now.

Kathrine Morong, a Fort Myers resident living in the most vulnerable evacuation area, Zone A, had been listening for days to local news broadcasts warning of the storm’s danger. She had already made her preparations, like getting pet supplies and gasoline, and was waiting to see what happened next.

When Lee County ordered evacuations on Tuesday morning, she had an instant reaction: Why did they wait so long?
Morong said she had been ready to go earlier but the timing of the order meant that she and her neighbors had to leave when it was already storming outside, and it was too late to find an available room out of harm’s way. She ended up at an AirBnB in Southeast Florida.
I'm sorry, are they not allowed to leave before being ordered to?? Not excusing the local officials but you weren't locked in your house.

I'm sorry, are they not allowed to leave before being ordered to?? Not excusing the local officials but you weren't locked in your house.
It is expensive and difficult to leave. Not everybody can do it, so why would you unless you thought you had to?

Just shows people don't know how to read a forecast.

Naples was under a warning Monday 5pm. That's the single best method to say get the **** out.

5 days out Naples was the center of the cone as a Major landfall. It stayed in the cone the entire time, but teetered on the edge as of Tues AM. Given that it fell north of Naples, that's reasonable. The cone measures (quite well) the uncertainties in the models and the forecast.

The thing that has to stop is focusing on the center of the cone as "the track". If you are in the cone and can see water, get ready for an impact. If you can't see water, get ready to go without power. If you see Reed Timmer, run.
To be fair, your second pic/situation is what all the local news was showing and Naples was NOT in the cone. In fact, places like Bonita Springs weren’t in the cone until late (I think maybe Monday night or Tuesday). The first pic you linked shows a much dire situation and wasn’t reflected to the locals. I agree that people closer to the shore should have evacuated regardless though.

The projected path was somewhat parallel to the coast - a small change in the projections could lead to a big change in landfall. The path shifted west away from Miami, then east toward Miami in the last 36 hours. Concrete newer structures with 2+ stories were relatively safe, as far as fatalities. Those who stayed in 1-story homes near the coast were risking their lives.

Per Brian McNoldy of the UM Marine School:

>>For the sake of completeness, here is EVERY cone from Advisory 1 at 5am Friday morning to Advisory 24 at 11am Wednesday morning. #Ian's landfall point is the red dot. It was ALWAYS in the likely (67%) area for landfall. [1/2]

I highlighted in yellow the narrow portion of Florida's west coast that was inside every single one of the 24 cones shown on here. If you know for 5 days that there's a 67% chance that something very bad is going to happen to you, wouldn't you take that seriously?? [2/2]<<

Users who are viewing this thread