What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Thread (1 Viewer)

2 videos of the Fort Myers Beach destruction. Just insane.

This flyover of Fort Meyers Beach is grim.

There are a lot of missing buildings.
Simply awful and heartbreaking.

I live here because I hate dealing with 5 months of gray days and purple nights, because the Great Lakes decided to not let us see the Sun from October to March. I live here because I’m sick of having to stay inside for weeks at a time because it’s hazardous to my health to walk around without bundling up like Ralphie’s younger brother every time. I live here because I’d rather deal with too much heat than not enough of it. I’ll gladly take my chances with the odd hurricane or two. I’m getting my solar panels ready to go, putting in a battery bank, and then I won’t have to worry about a storm knocking out power.
I’m considering the solar panel route…now more than ever.
The company I went with was going around the neighborhood, and they initially talked with my wife, then with me, and while I generally don’t go for the door-to-door sales stuff, I listened to them, did some research to make sure I wasn’t getting scammed, and turns out they’re legit, and actually helping to change how solar gets marketed. They’re insuring the panels and the roof, and I got a new AC system as part of the deal, which is a loan that will eventually take the place of my electric bill. Honestly, the only complaint I have about the process is from the permitting/ inspection side, I’m still waiting on the electric company to inspect it, which is annoying, but not unexpected, because inspections in summertime take forever.

But it's like clockwork in FL, and every dang year people need help recovering... and then they move right back to the same place for it to happen all over again year after year. Why do that to yourself?
I’ve lived in coastal Florida most of my life and have never once even lost power due to a hurricane. It can be horrendous and obviously people are having their lives ripped apart today, but it’s not as common as you are making it.
Yea my family’s been in Clearwater for 80 years, most of it around Belleair bluff waterfront and beach….and never had any serious issues. That said, one direct hit that will change. But everyone is also experienced at prepping…Hurricane shutters, windows, lock everything down, boats go dry dock, and evacuate to high ground inland…which isn’t far away. So then worst case it’s ‘just’ a matter of rebuilding a house. But so far 100% of the time, which has only been a handful, they’re back to normal 3 days later.

I should really look into a generator but man...paying that sort of coin and it just sit there "in case" pains me.
You know where I live, we never lose power and the storms we do get are mostly just blustery. Wouldn't live without one. Don't know how you guys who are in the path of most hurricanes don't have one. It would drive me crazy.

Already getting calls from rando roofers wanting to drive by and give our roof an “inspection”. Effin vultures. This is what most of the insurance problem in FL stems from. So awful.

My inlaws house in Englewood is still intact, and miraculously there's no water inside. They are so fricken lucky as they were too cheap to buy hurricane insurance even though they can easily afford it. I guess they figured that if the house (small single story cement block) gets demolished, they wouldn't be around to see it get reubuilt (93 and 91years old), so why not take on the risk? Phew.

Neighbors lanai is gone and down trees, brush, and garbage is everywhere.

My inlaws house in Englewood is still intact, and miraculously there's no water inside. They are so fricken lucky as they were too cheap to buy hurricane insurance even though they can easily afford it. I guess they figured that if the house (small single story cement block) gets demolished, they wouldn't be around to see it get reubuilt (93 and 91years old), so why not take on the risk? Phew.

What is hurricane insurance? Is it on top of homeowners?

My understanding is that it is required additional insurance if you want to file a claim for hurricane related damage - like flood insurance. Perhaps there are more knowledgeable folks who can explain, but my understanding is that they would not be covered for damage from Ian.

Whew that was something! 90%+ without power here in Lee Cty, somehow mine never flickered. Havent had net/cell since 2p yesterday. Ft Myers Beach reports are staggering, devastating to those of us who spend lots of time there.

My understanding is that it is required additional insurance if you want to file a claim for hurricane related damage - like flood insurance. Perhaps there are more knowledgeable folks who can explain, but my understanding is that they would not be covered for damage from Ian.
Yes flood insurance is separate. I always thought hurricanes were covered under homeowners. You just paid a higher deductible. I think mine is 2% of homes value. Possibly their mortgage is paid off and they elected to not insure.

Whew that was something! 90%+ without power here in Lee Cty, somehow mine never flickered. Havent had net/cell since 2p yesterday. Ft Myers Beach reports are staggering, devastating to those of us who spend lots of time there.
Yeah, I was surprised how bad the cell phone service has been. It’s just now slowly getting back to normal for me.

We still have a water boil notice in Lee County and barely any water is coming out our faucets. I think I read there were some water main breaks.

Personally, we had some water damage that crept through a wall and sopped up the carpet in a guest bedroom but nothing other than that. My mom in Bonita Springs had her she’d get destroyed but thankfully the contents stayed in place.

Having no water/power and limited internet sucks.

Is Tua starting tonight?

Dumb question ... how are you posting this without cell or internet?

About the insurance in FL, it’s not so much about the catastrophic events that occur but more about fraud and litigation. That’s why carriers are leaving the state…not because of hurricanes.

Dumb question ... how are you posting this without cell or internet?
I live close to jetblue park where there is service, drove down the street to call family and check emails. Figured id drop a quick post.

Yeah, I was surprised how bad the cell phone service has been. It’s just now slowly getting back to normal for me.

We still have a water boil notice in Lee County and barely any water is coming out our faucets. I think I read there were some water main breaks.

Personally, we had some water damage that crept through a wall and sopped up the carpet in a guest bedroom but nothing other than that. My mom in Bonita Springs had her she’d get destroyed but thankfully the contents stayed in place.

Having no water/power and limited internet sucks.

Is Tua starting tonight?
Yea us too, no water. Great to hear about Bonita, figured it was a swamp now.

Already getting calls from rando roofers wanting to drive by and give our roof an “inspection”. Effin vultures. This is what most of the insurance problem in FL stems from. So awful.
I got a letter from someone asking to fix the damage from “the recent storms,” this was a few weeks ago, and my roof is 2 years old. I immediately tore it up and threw it away. I have zero tolerance for shady people like that.

I got a letter from someone asking to fix the damage from “the recent storms,” this was a few weeks ago, and my roof is 2 years old. I immediately tore it up and threw it away. I have zero tolerance for shady people like that.
Mine is about 3 years old now and plenty solid. Seeing roofing inspection signs magically show up around my neighborhood and beyond overnight. Sad.

I've told this story before, but my neighbor across the street was gloating that her lawyer was able to negotiate a complete replacement of her 20 year roof "for free". She asked if I wanted her lawyer's number. "I'm good."

I always fill the bathtubs with water in case water fails. At least you can flush the toilets then.
Water is running now (but still on boil notice for water being consumed).

We didn’t do the bathtub trick this time because in years past, such as when Irma hit, the city water stayed on. It was the people with well water and that needed power who were screwed.

But I guess lesson learned. Water main breaks can screw everyone.

I always fill the bathtubs with water in case water fails. At least you can flush the toilets then.

We didn’t do the bathtub trick this time because in years past, such as when Irma hit, the city water stayed on. It was the people with well water and that needed power who were screwed.

Pro Tip
Put buckets in the yard to collect rain water. Great for flushing

Buying a generator will decrease your chances of actually losing by 95%

I am convinced my street is on some secret grid. All the streets around us have lost power except us. Same thing happened with Irma. We are all the way in the back of our neighborhood on a culdesac.

Last edited:

Pro Tip
Put buckets in the yard to collect rain water. Great for flushing

Buying a generator will decrease your chances of actually losing by 95%
Of course, you have to hope the buckets are still there after the storm passes...

This happens every year. Hell, even multiple times a year as there's a whole season of annual hurricanes. Why do so many people keep living there? I know the weather's good the rest of the time and there's no income tax, but are the injuries, death, and damages worth it to keep suffering through this every late summer?
:goodposting: Also there's alligators. And old people freaking everywhere. Also it's pretty flat and boring - there's no mountains so there's no fun camping or hiking even if it wasn't miserably hot. The place is overrun by tourists who say things like "You call this pizza?" Traffic is a nightmare - I mean I know traffic is bad everywhere, but take your bad traffic and add old people, tourists, and alligators and you get the idea. In addition to hurricanes, Florida still has tornados - it's not even a trade off. Also Florida is the lightning capitol of the world.
Also Florida is pretty crowded. In fact we're full. Florida is closed, try Texas.

This happens every year. Hell, even multiple times a year as there's a whole season of annual hurricanes. Why do so many people keep living there? I know the weather's good the rest of the time and there's no income tax, but are the injuries, death, and damages worth it to keep suffering through this every late summer?
:goodposting: Also there's alligators. And old people freaking everywhere. Also it's pretty flat and boring - there's no mountains so there's no fun camping or hiking even if it wasn't miserably hot. The place is overrun by tourists who say things like "You call this pizza?" Traffic is a nightmare - I mean I know traffic is bad everywhere, but take your bad traffic and add old people, tourists, and alligators and you get the idea. In addition to hurricanes, Florida still has tornados - it's not even a trade off. Also Florida is the lightning capitol of the world.
Also Florida is pretty crowded. In fact we're full. Florida is closed, try Texas.
Don't forget the man eating pythons. Also the sink holes that will swallow you and the house you live In.

we are full also.

Unbelievable. They were told to evacuate. Will be interesting to hear the circumstances that led to the deaths.
But then who would post all these great videos we are getting on Twitter? I told my wife that last night, for all these "oh my gosh, these videos are horrific" we see, somebody was standing there taking it. They ain't all Ring camera's.
I would imagine that a lot of the folks who stayed were older, had health issues, and leaving their home and driving somewhere was scary enough that they decided to stay.
I think* we had a 24 hour max evac notice for the worst areas here, easy to look back and say everyone should have left now but this thing was gonna hit Tampa, until it wasn't. I extend a modicum of grace to those who didn't, couldn't leave. Worst case scenario storm, reports of folks inland along 41 having to swim to neighbors 2nd story window w their kids, dogs just doesn't compute for us that ate Wilma, Charley, Irma. My buddy has 5 feet of water in his first floor bar under his stilt home right now, still, in south ft myers, he somehow saved the 400+ bottles of whiskey he's got while getting slammed by surge. I asked him if I could come get him, help him somehow and he responded by telling me about the significant increase in crabs in the gulf .... because of the storm surge hitting the Lani Kai. iykyk. They should make a 30 for 30 about Matt. Im relatively high/dry and inland so its easy for me to say in hindsight that I woulda left if I was in Iona, Whiskey Creek, Island Park....but if i'm honest with myself, I don't know if I would have. Probably now, knowing what I know. Yep, got net back and yep, drinking...and incredibly grateful. Cheers.

Power just came back up here in my part of Riverview. It’s a Christmas ####### miracle!! Was down for about 36 hours. Could have been a lot worse. Taking the day off today to get the house and lanai put back together. Happy to return to normalcy. Sending positive vibes to all the the folks south of me. I’ll probably be working for my client down there a lot in the upcoming weeks doing damage assessment.

i sincerely hope you are all doing well that power is coming on and that you are not facing too much damage and for those that are having a rough go i wish you well

About the insurance in FL, it’s not so much about the catastrophic events that occur but more about fraud and litigation. That’s why carriers are leaving the state…not because of hurricanes.
I have seen this mentioned a few times in several places. What does that mean -- people just sue in Florida more than the rest of the country and make fraudulent insurance claims?

I have seen this mentioned a few times in several places. What does that mean -- people just sue in Florida more than the rest of the country and make fraudulent insurance claims?
It’s not usually homeowners directly. It’s companies acting on their behalf suing insurance companies when their claim is denied. In the case of roofers, they’re jacking up the cost of roof replacement and then suing the insurance company for compensation. The homeowner is just a vessel for litigation by contractors most of the time.

I've been fairly lucky with my homeowner's insurance. When we lived in Destin at one time we had 3 houses and I formed a great relationship with Affordable Home Insurance (AHI). When we sold out and moved to Citrus we had USAA for our primary and AHI for our rentals, that was 2014. USAA stopped insuring new primary dwellings in FL, they were excellent to deal with on the one claim we ever made but now we can only use them on our vehicles (if you're wondering my wife was in the army).

So now I have AHI shop my policies every year. The increase has not been that much:
2020: $900
2021: $1255
2022: $1664 (just renewed in july) Bankers Insurance Group is our new policy holder.

We have a 2000sf heated 3/2 home with a pool enclosure. The hurricane deductible is $5K and any other peril is $1K.

we are full also.
Ummm... I live in West Los Angeles. There's no way in hell I'd ever want to leave here for FL or TX. Are you kidding me??? Not to mention how jacked up your politics are. Ouch.

There was some discussion about this here a couple years ago. Its pretty fascinating and does seem to be pretty much an issue specific to Florida. Insurance companies are not blameless by any means, but the scam is essentially a fraud team that consists of lawyers, private inspectors and roofers. I think in some forms of the scheme the homeowners assign their insurance claim rights to the roofer and they are not even involved.

Users who are viewing this thread