What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Thread (1 Viewer)

Me too. What are the adv/disadv? Seems more immune to wind but not flooding. And if a regional issue happens none of it matters.
Big advantage to underground during hurricanes. During the 2005 hurricane season, millions lost power in southeast Florida from 2 storms: Katrina and Wilma. People in older neighborhoods with lots of big trees and above ground powerlines, such as upscale Coral Gables and Pinecrest, were the last to get power restored. That experience accelerated the installation of permanent generators and municipalities exploring the cost of moving from above to below ground utilities. It's an expensive retrofit, I think very few cities have done it.
:hey:

Coconut Grove here and we have all of the above.

3 large Live Oaks along the street - Check
Above ground powerlines that are susceptible to falling branch from said trees - Check
Permanent generator - No check. :mellow:

And since I live in Miami and FPL is in cahoots with the local government, the money will be going to their pockets versus having to spend it on burying utilities.

Property insurance is an absolute fiasco in Florida right now and it’s only going to get worse after this.
Oh, it’s going to be an absolute nightmare.
Yep I just got Farmers for an extraordinary cheap rate . I couldn't believe it. Pretty sure l will be getting a letter come renewal time stating thanks but no thanks. Hello 200 dollar increase in mortgage payment.
I found an online company called KIN for an unbelievable rate. Doubt I see that again.
2020: $6000
2021: $6800
2022: $10000 (no flood insurance, prob going to add for the extra $2k after seeing this)

****ting bricks they drop me bc I don’t have many other options.

Really need some Federal Assistance to solve this insurance crisis out here.

Checking in from Riverview (Tampa area) this morning. Seeing a lot of shingles from older roofs in the neighborhood and lots of leaves and small branches about, but not much else. This was an assessment done by flashlight while I was walking the dog so take it fwiw. Tropical storm winds out there, but not too bad. Nothing woke me up in the night at all. I owe that to the new windows. Gonna start doing some grilling when the sun comes up and the meat thaws a little more. I’ll be happy when the power comes back on. Hopefully sooner rather than later. The TECO power plant is about 10 miles away and a straight shot down a major road. Looking forward to hearing from all the other FL FBGs this morning. Stay safe out there folks.

Waiting for the final assessment from the in-laws but it seems damage was contained to the fence, lanai, outdoor water softener, shed and mailbox. House, roof, and solar all seem to be fine. House stayed dry. They were very lucky based on where they live.

Son's ground-floor apartment in Winter Park is already ankle-deep, with a lot more rain in the forecast. Fortunately his sister has a 2nd-floor apartment in the same building, so boy and dog have safely relocated. This likely will get his ratty-*** sofa replaced at least.

Central Florida checking in....still have power...hopefully rusty does too. We aren't far from each other. TONS of water dumped. We didn't have this much water with Irma. Golf course looks like a river and the yard looks like a lake. Expected to rain all day and still pretty windy. I'll say gusts are still up to 60ish MPH.

Just outside Tampa, lost power at 8pm last night, I was up til around 2am...nothing but light rain and strong gusts of wind on and off. Wife slept right thru it all. Our yard, which floods during heavy rain, never had any standing water at any point. Looking around, I dint see any damage other than small branches and leaves strewn everywhere.

Are these deaths mainly going to come in from the mandatory evac zones? The majority of them have to be from storm surge, right?

Unbelievable. They were told to evacuate. Will be interesting to hear the circumstances that led to the deaths.
But then who would post all these great videos we are getting on Twitter? I told my wife that last night, for all these "oh my gosh, these videos are horrific" we see, somebody was standing there taking it. They ain't all Ring camera's.

Everything good here haven't lost power ( knock on wood ) yet. Really only thing that happened is my screened porch isn't screened anymore. Prior hurricanes had already took out all my oaks.

Not a real religious guy but thanking God for our good fortune and praying for those folks to the South.

Son's ground-floor apartment in Winter Park is already ankle-deep, with a lot more rain in the forecast. Fortunately his sister has a 2nd-floor apartment in the same building, so boy and dog have safely relocated. This likely will get his ratty-*** sofa replaced at least.
Another concern is our daughter's car. She moved it to get away from trees, and also to a bit higher ground, but she cannot see it from her apartment now. Also the boy's dog has nowhere to potty.

Everything good here haven't lost power ( knock on wood ) yet. Really only thing that happened is my screened porch isn't screened anymore. Prior hurricanes had already took out all my oaks.

Not a real religious guy but thanking God for our good fortune and praying for those folks to the South.
was hoping things were ok over your way GB!! Looks like we've gotten a good bit more water than you guys..still REALLY windy here and raining. Looks like we'll have to deal with it the rest of the day. Hope our power stays on.

Checking in from Riverview (Tampa area) this morning. Seeing a lot of shingles from older roofs in the neighborhood and lots of leaves and small branches about, but not much else. This was an assessment done by flashlight while I was walking the dog so take it fwiw. Tropical storm winds out there, but not too bad. Nothing woke me up in the night at all. I owe that to the new windows. Gonna start doing some grilling when the sun comes up and the meat thaws a little more. I’ll be happy when the power comes back on. Hopefully sooner rather than later. The TECO power plant is about 10 miles away and a straight shot down a major road. Looking forward to hearing from all the other FL FBGs this morning. Stay safe out there folks.
Great report, all things considered. Total non-event for my hood in NE Tampa. Power never even went out. I'm hoping TECO gets you up and running soon, GB.

Lakeland. No power, lost a few shingles, 2 fence panels, and out mailbox (which we found down the street). A few houses around here got hit bad but for the most part it’s just messy around here with plant debris.

Great report, all things considered. Total non-event for my hood in NE Tampa. Power never even went out. I'm hoping TECO gets you up and running soon, GB.
Thx. Looks like there’s power west of a fire station on Big Bend Road so it’s gotta be one of the line segments out there. Should be a somewhat easy fix, but no idea how long it will be. I imagine most of the work will be far south of me. Hoping the best for the Fort Myers area folks. Ugh.

Last edited:

was hoping things were ok over your way GB!! Looks like we've gotten a good bit more water than you guys..still REALLY windy here and raining. Looks like we'll have to deal with it the rest of the day. Hope our power stays on.
Thanks buddy glad to hear you and your family are fine. It hasn't stopped raining since yesterday wind still real gusty. We are lucky we live on top of what we call a hill in FL. Rain drains real well to the lake at the bottom of the hill. So far so good.

Thanks buddy glad to hear you and your family are fine. It hasn't stopped raining since yesterday wind still real gusty. We are lucky we live on top of what we call a hill in FL. Rain drains real well to the lake at the bottom of the hill. So far so good.
Similar situation here. We're "up"...to get out of the neighborhood we have to go "down" though...not sure if we can get out of the hood or not. Don't plan on going anywhere today though.

Citrus County in the highlands getting some good gusts and drizzles. No power outage for us but some areas are without.
And dare I say it, it's almost chilly out! 60's when I got up this morning.
Yea I just finished clearing up some bamboo mess from the wind yesterday, since the temp was so nice and overcast skies.

People on twitter are questioning that number
Lol wtf what would people on Twitter know?
>>Then just walked it back to "roughly FIVE!!" on @CNN ...@SheriffLeeFL is a real clown for this one. #HurricaneIan<<

I was watching when he said this. Basically they have 5 confirmed dead and thousands of calls for help, so he doesn't know a concrete number besides the 5, but assumes it will be more than that.

Well got my wet weather fishing gear on so I could check out my house and my snow bird buddies house out. Didn't lose any shingles on either house. Spoke a little to soon on the trees. I have or I should say had a ear tree on the back of my property line. I don't do chain saws anymore that's what my Granddaughters boyfriends for.

I swear trees are the bane of my existence.

Last edited:
they are showing pictures of sanibel and it just looks like a total loss absolutely horrible
Where are you seeing these? We go over year to north Captiva which is right next to it. Can’t find images yet of how bad it is there.

they are showing pictures of sanibel and it just looks like a total loss absolutely horrible
Where are you seeing these? We go over year to north Captiva which is right next to it. Can’t find images yet of how bad it is there.
I searched "hurricane Ian" on YouTube and there are local news stations with livestreams. They're doing helicopter flyovers showing the Sanibel causeway destroyed, roads flooded, boats stacked on top of each other, and a couple homes on fire.

Another concern is our daughter's car. She moved it to get away from trees, and also to a bit higher ground, but she cannot see it from her apartment now. Also the boy's dog has nowhere to potty.
I would think in the aftermath of a large hurricane, the world is your potty :shrug:

Cleaned up a bunch of fire bush that draped over into my neighbor’s yard and cleaned up shingles from other houses nearby (old crappy roofs). Mrs. O is in the process of shutting down her shelter and will hopefully be home soon. Probably gonna do some grilling soon. Still waiting for power to go back on, but I’m thinking it’s gonna be a while longer.

I would think in the aftermath of a large hurricane, the world is your potty :shrug:
Until the dog gets eaten by a shark swimming in the back yard.

Users who are viewing this thread