What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Thread (1 Viewer)

Me too. What are the adv/disadv? Seems more immune to wind but not flooding. And if a regional issue happens none of it matters.
Big advantage to underground during hurricanes. During the 2005 hurricane season, millions lost power in southeast Florida from 2 storms: Katrina and Wilma. People in older neighborhoods with lots of big trees and above ground powerlines, such as upscale Coral Gables and Pinecrest, were the last to get power restored. That experience accelerated the installation of permanent generators and municipalities exploring the cost of moving from above to below ground utilities. It's an expensive retrofit, I think very few cities have done it.

Me too. What are the adv/disadv? Seems more immune to wind but not flooding. And if a regional issue happens none of it matters.
Big advantage to underground during hurricanes. During the 2005 hurricane season, millions lost power in southeast Florida from 2 storms: Katrina and Wilma. People in older neighborhoods with lots of big trees and above ground powerlines, such as upscale Coral Gables and Pinecrest, were the last to get power restored. That experience accelerated the installation of permanent generators and municipalities exploring the cost of moving from above to below ground utilities. It's an expensive retrofit, I think very few cities have done it.
Interesting…didn’t realize it was that uncommon.

Anybody in that region have information that they can share? My parents live in Naples and we are stationed outside of Tokyo. The last time I spoke to my parents was last night 7:30 PM JST

Anybody in that region have information that they can share? My parents live in Naples and we are stationed outside of Tokyo. The last time I spoke to my parents was last night 7:30 PM JST
Based on what I'm seeing on the local news stations there, Naples has a ton of flooding right now from the surge. Power is out for sure.

Everything is on Twitter. Search for their neighborhood.

Interesting and timely reading on Cape Coral.
Thanks for this. Reads like an Elmore Leonard novel
It's crazy. I like the comparison to Babcock's Ranch....totally different approach.
Believe it or not, Babcock Ranch was intended to be a smart community with clustered housing and lots of green space set aside. That was chucked out the window for greed. Sad.

ETA: Power still off

It's crazy. I like the comparison to Babcock's Ranch....totally different approach.
Believe it or not, Babcock Ranch was intended to be a smart community with clustered housing and lots of green space set aside. That was chucked out the window for greed. Sad.

Oh the article used Babcock ranch as the right way to build a community vs how cape coral was handled

Based on what I'm seeing on the local news stations there, Naples has a ton of flooding right now from the surge. Power is out for sure.
Thank you. I have tried to call and text but no response. I went to Twitter and put in their address and nothing is coming up. They live near Naples country club which is off of Pine Ridge between Goodlette and Airport.

Oh the article used Babcock ranch as the right way to build a community vs how cape coral was handled
True. It just could have been something a lot better.

In Lakeland. Power went out about an hour ago. Thinking about grilling some turkey burgers out on the covered part of my lanai on the ole blackstone. I may change my mind but I am fat and also hungry.
Waiting until tomorrow here. I’ve got a nice pork tenderloin, some chicken tenderloins, and a boatload of Hebrew National hot dogs (they are so good and I get them at Publix every time they’re BOGO) ready to go. :thumbup:

Property insurance is an absolute fiasco in Florida right now and it’s only going to get worse after this.
Oh, it’s going to be an absolute nightmare.
Yep I just got Farmers for an extraordinary cheap rate . I couldn't believe it. Pretty sure l will be getting a letter come renewal time stating thanks but no thanks. Hello 200 dollar increase in mortgage payment.

Property insurance is an absolute fiasco in Florida right now and it’s only going to get worse after this.
Oh, it’s going to be an absolute nightmare.
Yep I just got Farmers for an extraordinary cheap rate . I couldn't believe it. Pretty sure l will be getting a letter come renewal time stating thanks but no thanks. Hello 200 dollar increase in mortgage payment.
I found an online company called KIN for an unbelievable rate. Doubt I see that again.

Do we know if the major part of the storm has passed through Naples yet?
Yes. The eye of the storm landed up the coast from Naples. The strongest part of the storm is usually north of the eye. Based on recent radar, it looks like most of that activity is well north of Naples right now. It is probably just light rain bands there currently.

That said, I saw the Naples station recorded their highest storm surge ever earlier today.

Found this. Remember some areas more prone to flooding than others. Message me their # and I'll try to call if you would like.

I have a land line if they do sometimes they work when cells dont.

Do we know if the major part of the storm has passed through Naples yet?
Yes. The eye of the storm landed up the coast from Naples. The strongest part of the storm is usually north of the eye. Based on recent radar, it looks like most of that activity is well north of Naples right now. It is probably just light rain bands there currently.

That said, I saw the Naples station recorded their highest storm surge ever earlier today.
Thank you… I ended up at the Naples daily news website and saw that at this point the majority of the storm has passed and that they currently dealing with the backend of the storm. It’s very frustrating to go to major news sources and see sensationalized headline that say all of Naples has been wiped out. That is why I was asking if anybody locally (people in Tampa or Orlando) had more accurate information.

Found this. Remember some areas more prone to flooding than others. Message me their # and I'll try to call if you would like.

Thank you… I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it if I don't hear from them

Thank you… I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it if I don't hear from them
I'm in N. Central Fl. I dont expect to lose power until sometime around 10. Don't think my landlines will work after that.

In Lakeland. Power went out about an hour ago. Thinking about grilling some turkey burgers out on the covered part of my lanai on the ole blackstone. I may change my mind but I am fat and also hungry.
Correction power back on!
#lakelandstrong

I’m on my patio watching what she can do. We face west so got lucky in that regard.

I’ll retract previous comments downgrading peoples’ reactions to this. It’s a beast.

#lakelandstrong

I’m on my patio watching what she can do. We face west so got lucky in that regard.

I’ll retract previous comments downgrading peoples’ reactions to this. It’s a beast.
Yea I was going to reply to you earlier to look at the drone videos of Mexico Beach. But I hate to sound snarky.

#lakelandstrong

Yea I was going to reply to you earlier to look at the drone videos of Mexico Beach. But I hate to sound snarky.
I’m a little more inland and people still freak out so my comments are more pointed at that. The people on the coasts get creamed. I should be more empathetic. My heart goes out.

How do you like the Blackstone?
It’s great. Worth the $275. There is some discussion on it in the grilling thread as well.

Great for smash burgers, multiple pounds of bacon, stir fry and scallops. Clean up is easy too.

UPDATE..l I haven’t spoken to my parents, but their house looks fine. The street outside their house is flooded but the swell is taking most of the water. I am heading into Fort Myers on emergency leave early next week and will help out in anyway I can. Based upon how handy my dad is (he held the plumbing contracts for all new Publix builds from the 1980’s -2010) i’m certain the house will be up and running before I even step foot in Naples.

Thank you everybody for all the helpful information that I was looking for!

Users who are viewing this thread