What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Thread (1 Viewer)

Ian is behind schedule speed wise. This isn't good.

They just said on a Cape Coral local channel that it's starting to speed up
Just said on ft meyers news down to 9mph, thanks IPTV!
9 is less than half the forecast. The eyewall land contact was expected 2 hrs ago.
hmmmm....our local guys have been saying between 1-2pm EST consistently since yesterday with speeds around 10 MPH.
I learned something new. Landfall is only when half the eye is over a continuous landmass. I was looking at the edge of the eye being the landfall timeline. This normally doesn't matter, except when you can ride a bicycle comfortably inside the eye.
Learned the same thing earlier today :lmao:

I mean there are houses floating off their foundation right now in Fort Myers. I can’t even imagine.

Key West gets creamed all the time and it’s still there.
Well yes but also because of billions of dollars of money put into rebuilding stuff there.
Sure. That’s why you have insurance. Comments like “I can’t imagine there’ll be anything left” are ridiculous. This thing isn’t a nuclear weapon.
Half of the underwriting has left florida in the last few years. What makes you think more underwriting is going to come in to the area after seeing this? People may get paid out and cancelled. Then what? Self insure for something like this happening again?

This thing is already way worse than Matthew or Irma. The feeder bands are strong. In NSB. Several hours away from the eye.

Well yes but also because of billions of dollars of money put into rebuilding stuff there.
Sure. That’s why you have insurance. Comments like “I can’t imagine there’ll be anything left” are ridiculous. This thing isn’t a nuclear weapon.
Half of the underwriting has left florida in the last few years. What makes you think more underwriting is going to come in to the area after seeing this? People may get paid out and cancelled. Then what? Self insure for something like this happening again?
I’m not sure what you mean. You’re saying the people that own these homes on the water aren’t carrying insurance? Of course they are.

And then good luck if you have a mortgage cause they sure ain’t letting you self-insure.

I’m not sure what you mean. You’re saying the people that own these homes on the water aren’t carrying insurance? Of course they are.

Underwriting has to come in for new construction. There is half of that available now compared to a short time ago. You can get paid on a house that is now in the gulf, but your next house may not. Getting a loan for a house that can't meet underwriting is next to impossible.

Watching the Ryan Hall Y'all feed, they had a video of a boat floating by a second floor window, and of a shark swimming in what looked like a flooded street.

I guess. You’ll get your house back a few years from now? Sure the city will be there but lives are being torn apart right now.

My mom has a home in Cape Coral, her sheep for brains sister moved nearby with her dimwit boyfriend, and they decided to stay. They lost power a while ago, she's been talking to her on the house phone, but that won't last long.
If you have ever been to that area, you know it's not even a little bit ready to handle a big storm

I mean at some point the state has to step in to provide state level property insurance, and assess this as a property tax. This is very hard to execute with a lot of cuban immigrants as it is a policy that starts with the "s" word. Supplemental insurance to meet some level of comfort for mortgages may still be needed over "floridacanecare" and some will need income based relief here.

Private insurance simply can't make the ROI here anymore. Anyone that thinks this is not paying attention. Insurance is not an infinite money cheat.

Oooof. Fox just showed footage of people attempting to hold the front door of their hotel closed in Ft. Myers. Can't imagine that method holds up.

I mean at some point the state has to step in to provide state level property insurance, and assess this as a property tax. This is very hard to execute with a lot of cuban immigrants as it is a policy that starts with the "s" word. Supplemental insurance to meet some level of comfort for mortgages may still be needed over "floridacanecare" and some will need income based relief here.

Private insurance simply can't make the ROI here anymore. Anyone that thinks this is not paying attention. Insurance is not an infinite money cheat.
Dude. Come on. The insurance problem in Florida isn't even remotely related to Cubans. Please tell me I misread that. It is 100% because of the state laws that allow for ridiculous lawsuits against insurance companies, mostly roofing claims. Something like 2% of insurance claims come from FL but 78% of lawsuits.

Dude. Come on. The insurance problem in Florida isn't even remotely related to Cubans. Please tell me I misread that. It is 100% because of the state laws that allow for ridiculous lawsuits against insurance companies, mostly roofing claims. Something like 2% of insurance claims come from FL but 78% of lawsuits.
The roofing claim problem is an entirely different problem. And will continue to make life hard here in the rebuilding.

Property insurance is an absolute fiasco in Florida right now and it’s only going to get worse after this.
There is a lot of vulnerable property on the SW coast of Florida. This is perhaps a worse case area for storm surge, worse than a hit on the Atlantic side. My coworkers in older condos in the Miami area, both coastal and inland, are getting hammered with increased HOA fees and assessments. One in the 5000-area of Collins, in a 1970s building on the ocean, is paying a $36,000 assessment for a hardening and a few new windows. No balconies, that would be even more. In installments. The average homeowner in Florida pays over $4,000 a year for insurance.

I wonder how all those high-rise buildings in the Miami area would come out in an Andrew-type direct hit. The Miami area has the 3rd highest skyline in the USA, and getting taller, with over 20 new buildings of 500+ feet under construction, and a few supertalls under construction or approved. Those buildings sway in high winds, by design. In an emergency during a hurricane, there would be no help.

Now that there will be perhaps 100s of thousands roofs with real damage, how will the insurance companies and adjusters deal with the volume and how to distinguish fraud from hurricane damage. A lot of inland homes will also be affected by hurricane force winds for the first time.

Now that there will be perhaps 100s of thousands roofs with real damage, how will the insurance companies and adjusters deal with the volume and how to distinguish fraud from hurricane damage. A lot of inland homes will also be affected by hurricane force winds for the first time.
This is understandable and part of their modeling. Fringe hail claims exploiting torts are not. Regardless, we are screwed. I felt fortunate that my homeowners only went up 40% this year after no claims and shopping it. The original offer was slightly over 100%.

Still have power here in Estero, FL. I walked with my mom and her dog this morning and the rains/wind were fairly light. No real flooding to report yet (at least in our area).

I really wonder how Cape Coral is going to do with all of this. For those not in the know, part of Cape Coral's appeal is their many canals. A ton of houses in Cape Coral are "on the water". If this storm surge is close to what they are predicting, it'll be interesting to see how high those canals go.
My MIL & FIL live in Cape Coral, so I'll pass along what they experience. Not excited about two 70-year-olds riding this out.
Latest update, still have power, getting very windy and rain. They are few blocks from the canals so hopefully they will be ok.
Latest update, not coming often though. No power, been out for a bit. The gate broke and a lot of the fence panels are down.

I've got friends in Tampa, Lakeland, and right down the road in Valrico that have lost power...so far ours is still fine, I'm thinking it's gonna go at any time.

I've got friends in Tampa, Lakeland, and right down the road in Valrico that have lost power...so far ours is still fine, I'm thinking it's gonna go at any time.
We lost power earlier today…from a bird damaging a breaker…went back on after about 90 min. Good since, but we’re ready (as ready as you can be with two boys under 5)!

Just got off the phone with them, lost water now as well. Losing panels in the lanai as well as support beams and their outdoor lighting.

Users who are viewing this thread