There are a lot of success stories like this for senior tour guys, that stuck with it until 50 and did solid on those tours. Gotta maintain your health though which is tough. Seems well positioned for that if it's the goal.Couple notes on Michael Block
Hope he gets a bucket full of sponsors exemptions and wins himself a millions dollars this summer. Great guy. At 46 he's not likely to ascend very far but would be great if he could somehow earn his way onto the big Tour.
- Southern California PGA Player of the year 9 times in the last 10 years (2013-22)
- biggest win was the 2014 PGA Professional Championship (club pro championship) - came back from 3 strokes back, won in playoff
- runner up at last year's PGA Professional Championship
- 2022 PGA Professional Player of the Year
- won 2004 California State Open
- won the Southern California PGA Championship 3 times (2017, 2018, 2022)
- shot a 59 to set his home course on his birthday in 2019
- shot a 58 at another SoCal course last year at a member-guest tourney
- has played in a PGA event 11 straight seasons, making 4 cuts in 25 attempts, including 7 majors - 2 US Open, 5 PGA
- played in the PGA Cup in 2022 (club pro equivalent of the Ryder Cup); came from 4 down to win his singles match as the USA won overseas - first time since 2009
- Block has imprinted on his TaylorMade golf balls the words, “WHY NOT?”
His boss (GM of his public course) was at Oak Hill and they're fully supportive; obviously it would be crazy to hold him back, but nice to see he has support systems around him. The guys that own his course were the ones who encouraged him to get his Class A and start playing tournaments in 2012 (first 8 years there he was the club pro there but just focused on teaching and running golf ops.)
He and his wife are flying to Dallas-Fort Worth today. Definitely living the dream.
As best I can tell you can get 7 sponsors exemptions a year. I believe you must make a cut in your first two events if you do not hold nor have ever held a card or made it thru some q-school level. this rule as I remember was there for Annika, and later Tony Romo otherwise you are held out until the next year. This needs serious fact checking though as maybe they altered it with the LIV Stuff