What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2022 PGA Tour Thread - Memorial Tournament, LIV list leaked- It's all Paulina's Fault **** (1 Viewer)

Couple notes on Michael Block
  • Southern California PGA Player of the year 9 times in the last 10 years (2013-22)
  • biggest win was the 2014 PGA Professional Championship (club pro championship) - came back from 3 strokes back, won in playoff
  • runner up at last year's PGA Professional Championship
  • 2022 PGA Professional Player of the Year
  • won 2004 California State Open
  • won the Southern California PGA Championship 3 times (2017, 2018, 2022)
  • shot a 59 to set his home course on his birthday in 2019
  • shot a 58 at another SoCal course last year at a member-guest tourney
  • has played in a PGA event 11 straight seasons, making 4 cuts in 25 attempts, including 7 majors - 2 US Open, 5 PGA
  • played in the PGA Cup in 2022 (club pro equivalent of the Ryder Cup); came from 4 down to win his singles match as the USA won overseas - first time since 2009
  • Block has imprinted on his TaylorMade golf balls the words, “WHY NOT?”
Hope he gets a bucket full of sponsors exemptions and wins himself a millions dollars this summer. Great guy. At 46 he's not likely to ascend very far but would be great if he could somehow earn his way onto the big Tour.

His boss (GM of his public course) was at Oak Hill and they're fully supportive; obviously it would be crazy to hold him back, but nice to see he has support systems around him. The guys that own his course were the ones who encouraged him to get his Class A and start playing tournaments in 2012 (first 8 years there he was the club pro there but just focused on teaching and running golf ops.)

He and his wife are flying to Dallas-Fort Worth today. Definitely living the dream.
There are a lot of success stories like this for senior tour guys, that stuck with it until 50 and did solid on those tours. Gotta maintain your health though which is tough. Seems well positioned for that if it's the goal.

As best I can tell you can get 7 sponsors exemptions a year. I believe you must make a cut in your first two events if you do not hold nor have ever held a card or made it thru some q-school level. this rule as I remember was there for Annika, and later Tony Romo otherwise you are held out until the next year. This needs serious fact checking though as maybe they altered it with the LIV Stuff

• Southern California PGA Player of the year 9 times in the last 10 years (2013-22)
  • biggest win was the 2014 PGA Professional Championship (club pro championship) - came back from 3 strokes back, won in playoff
  • has played in a PGA event 11 straight seasons, making 4 cuts in 25 attempts, including 7 majors - 2 US Open, 5 PGA
  • played in the PGA Cup in 2022 (club pro equivalent of the Ryder Cup); came from 4 down to win his singles match as the USA won overseas - first time since 2009
Hope he gets a bucket full of sponsors exemptions and wins himself a millions dollars this summer. Great guy. At 46 he's not likely to ascend very far but would be great if he could somehow earn his way onto the big Tour.

His boss (GM of his public course) was at Oak Hill and they're fully supportive; obviously it would be crazy to hold him back, but nice to see he has support systems around him. The guys that own his course were the ones who encouraged him to get his Class A and start playing tournaments in 2012 (first 8 years there he was the club pro there but just focused on teaching and running golf ops.)

He and his wife are flying to Dallas-Fort Worth today. Definitely living the dream.
There are a lot of success stories like this for senior tour guys, that stuck with it until 50 and did solid on those tours. Gotta maintain your health though which is tough. Seems well positioned for that if it's the goal.

As best I can tell you can get 7 sponsors exemptions a year. I believe you must make a cut in your first two events if you do not hold nor have ever held a card or made it thru some q-school level. this rule as I remember was there for Annika, and later Tony Romo otherwise you are held out until the next year. This needs serious fact checking though as maybe they altered it with the LIV Stuff

I mean that would be a great path for him. It’s super tough to earn your card on exemptions & Monday qualifying - Tiger (1996), Spieth (2013), Rahm (2016), Joaquin Niemann (2018) all did it on sponsors exemptions as youngsters (+ Rory across the pond.) Matthew Wolff won as a sponsor’s exemption, but again, at age 20. Cory Conners was the last guy to win after Monday Qualifying (2019 Valero Texas Open); that’s happened 5 times since 1980.

His 47th birthday is in 3 weeks. Hopefully he can grind his way on or at least earn a spot on the Web.com, then it’s three years until the Champions Tour. Would be great to see him succeed. He can def go low which is the name of the game most weeks.

I mean that would be a great path for him. It’s super tough to earn your card on exemptions & Monday qualifying - Tiger (1996), Spieth (2013), Rahm (2016), Joaquin Niemann (2018) all did it on sponsors exemptions as youngsters (+ Rory across the pond.) Matthew Wolff won as a sponsor’s exemption, but again, at age 20. Cory Conners was the last guy to win after Monday Qualifying (2019 Valero Texas Open); that’s happened 5 times since 1980.

His 47th birthday is in 3 weeks. Hopefully he can grind his way on or at least earn a spot on the Web.com, then it’s three years until the Champions Tour. Would be great to see him succeed. He can def go low which is the name of the game most weeks.
You sure you got the right Michael Block????? :P

You sure you got the right Michael Block????? :P

It’s one or the other

That’s the upside to the WGA strike, guys like Block or Adam Scott finally getting into tournaments

Block has accepted an invited to play the RBC Canadian Open Jun 8-11.

There’s probably not a mechanism to get him into the Memorial (in between Colonial & RBC), and the US Open follows.

After that, I would expect him to get invites to the Travelers, Rocket Mortgage & John Deere - the 3 events after the next major - if they still have slots available. Each tournament has 8 to give out, but 4 of those must meet this criteria:
  • The tournament must look at the list of players who finished 2-25 on the previous year's Web.com Tour money list (combined regular season and finals). If any of those players are not already in the field, at least two sponsor exemptions must go to those players.
  • At least two sponsor exemptions must also be used on PGA Tour members who are not otherwise in the field.

Say what you want about Michael Block and his skills but that chip shot on 18 was a world class shot. Then he nails the putt. With all the pressure on him, his 18th hole was as good as I've ever seen.
It wasn't a chip shot but I agree with everything else you said 100% ;)

Say what you want about Michael Block and his skills but that chip shot on 18 was a world class shot. Then he nails the putt. With all the pressure on him, his 18th hole was as good as I've ever seen.

I think fans overestimate how good pros are at putting. They look at broad stats on the PGA Tour and see they make 88% of all putts inside 10'. "Oh, they make everything." Well inside 10' is not the same thing as at 10'. They make 66% of 6' putts, 58% of 7' putts, down to 40% of 10 footers.

Block's last two putts on 17 & 18 to save par - when he had no margin for error - were 6'1" and 7'6". That's around 65% & 55% but factor in the pressure of 71st and 72nd hole of a major....that was really impressive.

That last putt was worth $74K. Combined, those last two made putts were worth $123,333. For a working class club pro, that's amazing stuff.

He's talking about the books liability for him to win. Only -250 to miss the cut. I'm seriously considering a huge bet there. Turn every 1k into 1400.
Easiest sports gambling money I've ever made.
yeah, after an emotional week last week plus all the interviews this week and playing a new course he was doomed from the start. The guy should sleep all day saturday before coming back to CA

The LIV contracts were paid out over years, right? So, for example, DJ's alleged $100mm was paid out over 10 years or something?

Assuming that is correct, I wonder what happens now.

And the Saudi guy is the chairman of the new combined organization. So now all these guys that didn't take the money and spoke out against SA now work for him.

Lots of interesting fall out the next few days. No idea what is gonna happen.

The LIV contracts were paid out over years, right? So, for example, DJ's alleged $100mm was paid out over 10 years or something?

Assuming that is correct, I wonder what happens now.
just read the email the players supposedly received from the pga tour that says after the 2023 season LIV golfers can reapply for the PGAT card. Both tours will continue as is but there will also be dual type events, PGAT keeps their non profit but also join this other league where it's for profit.

How awesome would it be if Tiger is so disgusted with the whole thing that he now starts a separate tour and poaches all the guys that turned down the $$$

How awesome would it be if Tiger is so disgusted with the whole thing that he now starts a separate tour and poaches all the guys that turned down the $$$
he did start his virtual league, I doubt he gives 2 ****s anymore about the tour unless there is a microphone in front of him.

And the Saudi guy is the chairman of the new combined organization. So now all these guys that didn't take the money and spoke out against SA now work for him.

Lots of interesting fall out the next few days. No idea what is gonna happen.

So the Saudis kind of took over the PGA Tour? Who says money can`t buy everything.

I can't wait to hear Brandel and Eamon try and back track
I mean nobody cares what they said. I can't even remember half the people who went that way.
i agree but those 2 were constantly taking shots at the LIV players and now they are going to be potentially employed by the Saudi’s.

from what I gather all 3 leagues remain the same and there will be another league that falls under the PIF with their own events.

Unreal. Guys who didn't take the $$$ look like absolute fools now.
“Hey fellas…yeah about that 400 million I turned down” -Rory

Players meeting at 4pm at the Canadian Open. Players blindsided by this, no communication from the Tour - found out when everyone else did. Lots of bitching on Twitter rn.

And yes, Rory is in the field this week.

Does this mean JaxBill comes back to update the thread title?

If this is an arms race and if the only weapons here are dollar bills, the PGA Tour can't compete. The PGA Tour, an American institution, can't compete with a foreign monarchy that is spending billions of dollars in an attempt to buy the game of golf.

We welcome good, healthy competition. The LIV Saudi Golf League is not that. It's an irrational threat, one not concerned with the return on investment or true growth of the game.

Currently, no one organization owns or dominates the game of golf. Instead, the various entities, be it Augusta National or the USGA or the LPGA or the PGA Tour or the PGA of America, work together to meet our own respective priorities, but with the best interests of the game overall at heart.

But when someone attempts to buy the sport, dismantle the institutions that are intrinsically invested in its growth, and focus only on a personal priority, that partnership evaporates, and instead we end up with one person, one entity, using endless amounts of money to direct employees, not members or partners, toward their personal goal, which may or may not change tomorrow or the next day. I doubt that's the vision any of us have for the game.

- Jay Monahan one year ago

If this is an arms race and if the only weapons here are dollar bills, the PGA Tour can't compete. The PGA Tour, an American institution, can't compete with a foreign monarchy that is spending billions of dollars in an attempt to buy the game of golf.

We welcome good, healthy competition. The LIV Saudi Golf League is not that. It's an irrational threat, one not concerned with the return on investment or true growth of the game.

Currently, no one organization owns or dominates the game of golf. Instead, the various entities, be it Augusta National or the USGA or the LPGA or the PGA Tour or the PGA of America, work together to meet our own respective priorities, but with the best interests of the game overall at heart.

But when someone attempts to buy the sport, dismantle the institutions that are intrinsically invested in its growth, and focus only on a personal priority, that partnership evaporates, and instead we end up with one person, one entity, using endless amounts of money to direct employees, not members or partners, toward their personal goal, which may or may not change tomorrow or the next day. I doubt that's the vision any of us have for the game.

- Jay Monahan one year ago
Yeah, this interview he gave from a year ago invoking 9/11 families is making the rounds today.

It was always inevitable. IMO.

Why? LIV ratings are terrible, no one really cares about it, most people think of it as a joke. It was going to fade away eventually.

There must have been something going on with the anti-trust lawsuits behind the scenes, going poorly for the PGA.

It was always inevitable. IMO.

Why? LIV ratings are terrible, no one really cares about it, most people think of it as a joke. It was going to fade away eventually.

There must have been something going on with the anti-trust lawsuits behind the scenes, going poorly for the PGA.

Because some of the best golfers on the planet were playing there regularly, ratings or not. You can't just continue on as if everything is hunky dory when the game's very best players aren't yours anymore. And with pockets that deep, the LIV weren't in any danger of going belly up like the USFL or whatever alt league you want to cite. The lawsuits going away is good for everybody. And I don't think it helped guys like Rory who were forced to take on a role that he never asked for but some elite player needed to be the spokesperson for the PGA.

I'll have to read more about it, but I always felt like a resolution was coming.

Users who are viewing this thread