What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (2 Viewers)

So what the hell was going on with France for the first 70 minutes of this game? Then they looked terrible, then some subs came on (Coman in particular) and Mbappe woke up.

Last edited:
So what the hell was going on with France for the first 70 minutes of this game? They looked terrible, then some subs came on (Coman in particular) and Mbappe woke up.
Let's not oversell things here. France got two PKs and a goal despite entering the box like maybe 6 times in regulation.

Argentina was miles better and created much more overall. Twice the shots. Twice the shots on goal. Twice the non-PK xG.

Was rooting for France, had a large wager on France, and find most of the Argentina team to be completely unlikable and easy to root against. But Messi losing that after it seeming like it was over and done in regulation and then again in ET just would have been brutal for him to have to live with.

So what the hell was going on with France for the first 70 minutes of this game? They looked terrible, then some subs came on (Coman in particular) and Mbappe woke up.
Momentum plays a role. Like in yesterday's IND-MIN game. Argentina had more possession time, shots, shots on goal. Great passing on that 2nd goal. Some luck involved, but better team won. Messi is still exciting to watch with the precision passes.

My son, a lifelong soccer player, is a huge Messi fan. His favorite player for more than a decade. We’ve had a massively huge Messi wall poster in our playroom for the last ten years. He’s out of town today but just texted me that he was in tears. Well, three weeks ago, I sourced an autographed Messi 2020/21 Copa América Argentina team jersey (glad I bought it three weeks ago rather than today). I cannot wait for my son to open that gift on Christmas morning.

Last edited:
My son, a lifelong soccer player, is a huge Messi fan. His favorite player for more than a decade. We’ve had a massively huge Messi wall poster in our playroom for over a decade. He’s out of town today but just texted me that he was in tears. Well, three weeks ago, I sourced an autographed Messi Argentina team jersey (glad I bought it three weeks ago rather than today). I cannot wait for my son to open that gift on Christmas morning.
Curious how you got hold of that. Not easy/cheap.

My son, a lifelong soccer player, is a huge Messi fan. His favorite player for more than a decade. We’ve had a massively huge Messi wall poster in our playroom for over a decade. He’s out of town today but just texted me that he was in tears. Well, three weeks ago, I sourced an autographed Messi Argentina team jersey (glad I bought it three weeks ago rather than today). I cannot wait for my son to open that gift on Christmas morning.

Well played. Dad of the Year shoe in.

My son, a lifelong soccer player, is a huge Messi fan. His favorite player for more than a decade. We’ve had a massively huge Messi wall poster in our playroom for the last ten years. He’s out of town today but just texted me that he was in tears. Well, three weeks ago, I sourced an autographed Messi 2020/21 Copa América Argentina team jersey (glad I bought it three weeks ago rather than today). I cannot wait for my son to open that gift on Christmas morning.
Make Mourinho deliver it to him while wearing an elf suit.

Technique, tactics, flair, positioning, shape.............all are so mitigated when a team does not have energy.

That game was 100% all Argentina up until one mental break down and then the French players all look like they drank 25 red bulls from then on out.

Reactions: Zow
Curious how you got hold of that. Not easy/cheap.
I have a couple broker contacts as I regularly source items for charity auctions. And you’re right, it was neither easy nor cheap (but way cheaper than it would be today!).

I'm still stunned at what transpired. So many twists and turns. Amazing goals, fantastic saves. Moments of ****housery. Golden Boot going back and forth and back and forth. GOAT status confirmation and passing the torch actually taking place in real time. I need to watch the replay just to take it all in without my blood pressure looking like a San Andreas seismograph.

Users who are viewing this thread