What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (3 Viewers)

SoBeDad said:
The only World Cup song I remember is Waka Waka, whose commercial success will be difficult to top. It led to Shakira meeting Gerard Piqué and then marriage and 2 children. Soccer star meets World Cup singer will be impossible to top.

Have we all really forgotten World in Motion?

Non-USA group stage games I'm interested in:

Group A - Senegal - Holland; not much else here

Groups C and D - will probably watch several of these games, but nothing grabbing me.  Probably Argentina - Mexico because of Tata. France is always fun, but I don't think they will be challenged in this group.

Group E - Spain-Germany of course, but they might play nice.  Its the second Group game, so hopefully both teams play to win.

Group F - I'm interested to see all of these games, and particularly how Canada matches up. Have to assume Hakim Ziyech will not play for Morocco but they were dominant in qualifying and will give all of these teams fits. This is the closest we have to a Group of Death as 2 really good teams will not advance.

Group G - Brazil at the World Cup is always good. Not 

Group H - All of these group games seem interesting, although I'm not sure how good Korea is anymore.

France is typically a fun watch because their biggest competition is usually their own dysfunction.  They should be a favorite to win the WC but they could have yet another internal mess and the whole thing blows up.
They've won 2 of the last 6. I'll take that kind of dysfunction anyday.

That was my whole point :)  

In that same time period they also finished 28th and 29th (out of 32 teams).   The large range of results makes them a fun watch.
Same with Spain.  Could do well and make a run to the semis, but more likely to crater and go down 3 goals early to someone.

Black star.

Also in for the 2026 US World Cup discussion.  I've actually mentioned the event to my financial advisor.  I may take the entire month off work.  
My 8 year old son said to me, "Daddy, I want to watch all the World Cup games."  He was serious and would do so if I let him.  Stupid school.

No one recycles coaches like the Dutch.

Ronald Koeman has been named the new Dutch National team coach again, starting in 2023.

Dumb.

Just have the referee start carding these time wasters and rolling around on the ground guys for every single thing. 

You don't even need to get crazy with cards.  Just simply stop the clock on all injuries and 95% of the time wasting is eliminated.  You will still get guys flopping for fouls but in terms of trying to kill out a game, faking injuries would be rendered meaningless.  Everyone knows that the ref never accounts for any where near enough time for this crap.

I would also go a step further and allow the sport to evolve by removing injury time all together (which is where some of the corruption of the game has seeped into over the years) and just stop the clock after goals, out of bounds, subs, fouls and injuries.  Every one in the stadium should know exactly what is what in terms of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am all for increasing effective play time but just adding ten extra minutes to the clock is not the best way to go about it imo.

FIFA considering playing time rule change ahead of 2022 World Cup
Dumb.

Just have the referee start carding these time wasters and rolling around on the ground guys for every single thing.

yep. I don't see this as something seriously impacting the game... although I get the frustration from neutrals. 

or have an "official" time keeper (IIRC, we did this in college) who keeps an accurate running clock, stopping/starting when the histrionics and other time-wasting elements start. of course, would need a very clear direction for when/what warrants a stoppage. could be genuinely scary how much time would be added.

You don't even need to get crazy with cards.  Just simply stop the clock on all injuries and 95% of the time wasting is eliminated.  You will still get guys flopping for fouls but in terms of trying to kill out a game, faking injuries would be rendered meaningless.  Everyone knows that the ref never accounts for any where near enough time for this crap.

I would also go a step further and allow the sport to evolve by removing injury time all together (which is where some of the corruption of the game has seeped into over the years) and just stop the clock after goals, out of bounds, subs, fouls and injuries.  Every one in the stadium should know exactly what is what in terms of the time.
as you know and experienced, this is what college was like... running official clock that stopped and started. wasn't in the ref's hands at all.

I have to say... I weirdly like that anticipation and mystery surrounding how much time the ref will give- but I don't like the regular frustration with how wrong they are typically. the ubiquitous 3 minutes is pointless.

yep. I don't see this as something seriously impacting the game... although I get the frustration from neutrals. 

or have an "official" time keeper (IIRC, we did this in college) who keeps an accurate running clock, stopping/starting when the histrionics and other time-wasting elements start. of course, would need a very clear direction for when/what warrants a stoppage. could be genuinely scary how much time would be added.
Agree with this 100%. Been screaming about this for years.  

as you know and experienced, this is what college was like... running official clock that stopped and started. wasn't in the ref's hands at all.

I have to say... I weirdly like that anticipation and mystery surrounding how much time the ref will give- but I don't like the regular frustration with how wrong they are typically. the ubiquitous 3 minutes is pointless.
Wasn't there a time when the ref would keep the time but NOT announce how much?  Play continued and at some point the ref would just blow the whistle and end it?

Not sure if that was WC or EPL or what (I don't follow very closely), but from a viewer's perspective, that was great suspense.  Although I can see where it could lead to some corruption when only 1 guy knows exactly when the game ends.

Wasn't there a time when the ref would keep the time but NOT announce how much?  Play continued and at some point the ref would just blow the whistle and end it?

Not sure if that was WC or EPL or what (I don't follow very closely), but from a viewer's perspective, that was great suspense.  Although I can see where it could lead to some corruption when only 1 guy knows exactly when the game ends.
that's EVERY SOCCER GAME other than US College.

the ref owns the official clock... on his wrist. he'll let the sidelines and world know right before the stadium 90 clock ends just how much "extra" time he's adding. that switch happened... dunno... 20 years ago or so. yeah- before that, it ended when the ref decided it ended. 

I mean I guess I would be ok if the ref kept it accurately but he doesn't.  538 did an in depth dive into timing every game at WC 2018 and found that injury time was wildly inaccurate.

And the worst part of this sport is that most of the world could not care less.   I just don't get it.  I can understand things being built into your culture but shouldn't a game that has a clock be accurate in time?

Read this one paragraph....it is mind numbing that no one cares

"Our findings confirmed what avid fans already know: Actual stoppage time is a wildly inaccurate measure of how long the game was actually stopped. The average added time flashed on the board for these 32 games was 6:59, which includes both halves. By our calculations — which adhered to FIFA’s rules on the matter — the time that should have been added to each game was 13:10. This means stoppage time was roughly half of what it should have been for most games."

that's EVERY SOCCER GAME other than US College.

the ref owns the official clock... on his wrist. he'll let the sidelines and world know right before the stadium 90 clock ends just how much "extra" time he's adding. that switch happened... dunno... 20 years ago or so. yeah- before that, it ended when the ref decided it ended. 
This is the part I'm thinking of. And yeah it was probably many years ago that I'm remembering this not happening.

I mean I guess I would be ok if the ref kept it accurately but he doesn't.  538 did an in depth dive into timing every game at WC 2018 and found that injury time was wildly inaccurate.

And the worst part of this sport is that most of the world could not care less.   I just don't get it.  I can understand things being built into your culture but shouldn't a game that has a clock be accurate in time?

Read this one paragraph....it is mind numbing that no one cares

"Our findings confirmed what avid fans already know: Actual stoppage time is a wildly inaccurate measure of how long the game was actually stopped. The average added time flashed on the board for these 32 games was 6:59, which includes both halves. By our calculations — which adhered to FIFA’s rules on the matter — the time that should have been added to each game was 13:10. This means stoppage time was roughly half of what it should have been for most games."
They play pretty loose with the ball going out of bounds, too.  Can you imagine a basketball-style replay to determine if/where the ball went completely over the sideline and who touched it last?

They play pretty loose with the ball going out of bounds, too.  Can you imagine a basketball-style replay to determine if/where the ball went completely over the sideline and who touched it last?

I am personally ok with VAR as it is (in terms of what they look for).   I am ok if the refs make occasional errors, especially relatively inconsequential items like a throw in.

The two biggest items I would like to see improved in the sport is the time management (as we talked about above) and the offside rule.  It is absolutely ludicrous that you can be offside because your hand is in front of the defender when you can't use your hands in the sport.

I am personally ok with VAR as it is (in terms of what they look for).   I am ok if the refs make occasional errors, especially relatively inconsequential items like a throw in.

The two biggest items I would like to see improved in the sport is the time management (as we talked about above) and the offside rule.  It is absolutely ludicrous that you can be offside because your hand is in front of the defender when you can't use your hands in the sport.
I don't see a problem at all with the game and the being called in or out. sometimes the ref messes up, most of the time not. Usually not a game-changer. 

agree about offsides. and the arbitrary/subjectiveness of VAR with humans drawing lines down and over. it's idiotic. just use the forward most foot for both players... done. 

but thankfully there's goal-line technology finally so we don't have phantom or missed goals. 

I personally hate VAR going back deep into the buildup and looking for crap to call which eliminates a goal already scored. HATE it. 

I hate you all.  I love extra time.  I hate that its announced.  I also hate that every announcer says "minimum of" then gets upset when it doesn't end right at that announced time.  I love the running clock.  College stopped the clock and never had extra time.  Was a shock.  Eff you all.

:scared: I also like PKs

Was talking to the kid about going to games in 2026.  She wants to go no matter who is playing.  Same here.   I hope the prices arent crazy.  I went to 5 games in 94 at the Rose Bowl.  All group stages. I was at the Escobar game.  Sweden v Nigeria, USA v Romania, Romania v Columbia and one more.  Don't remember what I paid but well worth it.

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

Fox Sports announces 35 World Cup matches on Fox national broadcast network, other 29 on FS1. All on Fox Sports app. Natl broadcast includes all 3 USMNT group matches: Portugal v Ghana & Brazil v Serbia on Thanksgiving; 6 of 8 round of 16s; all 4 quarters; both semis; and final

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

Fox Sports announces 35 World Cup matches on Fox national broadcast network, other 29 on FS1. All on Fox Sports app. Natl broadcast includes all 3 USMNT group matches: Portugal v Ghana & Brazil v Serbia on Thanksgiving; 6 of 8 round of 16s; all 4 quarters; both semis; and final
brace yourselves for a whole lot of Lalas.

In, should be fun playing you guys

Been wanting to go to a major tournament ever since Germany '06, but opportunity has never come up until (Euro) 2020 where I did have some tickets but sent them back after the world went mad. Wouldn't consider Qatar, while I think it will be the same as Russia in that everyone expects it to be a dumpster fire but it turns out to be way better than expected, just looking at some of the prices makes the whole thing completely unfeasible and I'll just put the cash away until 2026. Where I'll get gouged again, but at least I can watch some baseball on the side

In, should be fun playing you guys

Been wanting to go to a major tournament ever since Germany '06, but opportunity has never come up until (Euro) 2020 where I did have some tickets but sent them back after the world went mad. Wouldn't consider Qatar, while I think it will be the same as Russia in that everyone expects it to be a dumpster fire but it turns out to be way better than expected, just looking at some of the prices makes the whole thing completely unfeasible and I'll just put the cash away until 2026. Where I'll get gouged again, but at least I can watch some baseball on the side
two colleagues just got back from a seminar/conference there- and even my Bahrainie friend commented how over the top they go in the middle east for these kinds of things. Qatar will go all out... I have no doubt it will be amazing for people who go.

but #### them. and #### FIFA for making this such an unobtainable experience.

Mexico has announced its slate of friendlies this spring and summer.  All games played in US.  Looks like a heavy focus on Argentina

Guat, Nigeria, Uruguay, Ecuador, and Paraguay

They will also have two Nations League games as well this summer.   They are getting in 7 games where the US is only getting in 4.

Mexico has announced its slate of friendlies this spring and summer.  All games played in US.  Looks like a heavy focus on Argentina

Guat, Nigeria, Uruguay, Ecuador, and Paraguay

They will also have two Nations League games as well this summer.   They are getting in 7 games where the US is only getting in 4.

I expect Tata was probably the only person in Mexico happy to draw La Albiceleste. He's got to be scheming for that game every minute of every day.

we don't have a 2026 thread yet so this goes here I guess :)

=============

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

Now official: DC and Baltimore have merged their 2026 World Cup venue bids. If the bid is selected by FIFA, Baltimore would host matches and DC would stage a massive fan festival on National Mall. (DC's hopes of being selected on its own had dimmed because of FedEx Field.)

:blackdot:

Once Canada qualified, I started looking for options to attend.  Are there even available hotels out there?  I think I could probably get a line on tickets.

Once Canada qualified, I started looking for options to attend.  Are there even available hotels out there?  I think I could probably get a line on tickets.

I just googled "hotel world cup qatar" saw a ton of hits.  Looks like you can get some package deals or just book individual rooms.  Qatar has a lot of issues but lack of rooms won't be one of the issues I hope.

I like Canada's chances- they're built to do well here, IMO, if their impact attacking players are healthy next fall.

I mentioned it upthread, but if you can swing it- time and finance-wise- it's an event the hosts will make go all out. doubtful another WC will go so extreme on the fan/visitor experience...

Some Canadian player news

=============

[Fabrizio Romano] Lille are already prepared to sell some players this summer. Jonathan David’s rise from Jan 2018 has been excellent and top clubs have his name in the list. David’s now Lille top scorer with 17 goals this season, 3 in UCL - and he’s just 22. Price tag around €50m.

we don't have a 2026 thread yet so this goes here I guess :)

=============

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

Now official: DC and Baltimore have merged their 2026 World Cup venue bids. If the bid is selected by FIFA, Baltimore would host matches and DC would stage a massive fan festival on National Mall. (DC's hopes of being selected on its own had dimmed because of FedEx Field.)
This has to make that bid all but locked IMO.  I think both thought they'd lose out, but together they are stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread