What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official - 2024 Major League Baseball Thread - Royals Playing Old-Timey Baseball*** (1 Viewer)

Some big numbers yesterday in MLB. A’s scored 20 runs, Rangers 15, Phillies 14, padres 13 and Dodgers 11.

I'm almost scared to use starting pitchers in fantasy right now.
Cole Irvins - who my dumb *** wanted to Orioles to cut a few weeks ago - has like 21 consecutive scoreless innings. Join the Black-&-Orange side, GB.

My fantasy team in Cake is the GM Gunnar Thundersons so you've got me already!

(Although I still retain my fandom to the Rangers though birth rights).

Some big numbers yesterday in MLB. A’s scored 20 runs, Rangers 15, Phillies 14, padres 13 and Dodgers 11.

I'm almost scared to use starting pitchers in fantasy right now.
Cole Irvins - who my dumb *** wanted to Orioles to cut a few weeks ago - has like 21 consecutive scoreless innings. Join the Black-&-Orange side, GB.

My fantasy team in Cake is the GM Gunnar Thundersons so you've got me already!

(Although I still retain my fandom to the Rangers though birth rights).
I don't blame ya and congrats on the trophy last season (while sweeping my squad on the way).

Love the Fantasy team name :lol:

Acuna picked off 3 times in the last 2 games. Dude needs to regain his focus because he’s fallen off a cliff compared to last year (which admittedly was a year for the ages).

Acuna picked off 3 times in the last 2 games. Dude needs to regain his focus because he’s fallen off a cliff compared to last year (which admittedly was a year for the ages).
Way too many strikeouts. He just seems a bit off. Doesn't seem to be driving the ball the other way and is pulling off pitches. Looks like he is guessing too much.

Ya'll should take a peek at what Paul Skenes is doing to the Cubs today. Incredible.
Been watching. Ten K's through five. Was perfect util the walk, which I would have rung him up on the check swing myself. 80ish pitches, I bet he's done.

MLB, STOP BABYING PITCH COUNTS!!!
They still get hurt, and you are actually paying them more to do less.

How about we all pitch in for a go fund me, think "Human Fund." I'll hold the money. The point is we get a bunch of cash, and offer it to a charity of a MLB teams choice, if they have a pitcher hit 150 pitches in a game this year. I think it's an epic idea.

Thoughts?

Ya'll should take a peek at what Paul Skenes is doing to the Cubs today. Incredible.
Been watching. Ten K's through five. Was perfect util the walk, which I would have rung him up on the check swing myself. 80ish pitches, I bet he's done.

Pulled with a no hitter through 6. I really hate baseball now, so pathetic.

i will never understand why 100 pitches means guys will drop dead. i once read an article where someone mentioned how arbitrary the number is and that it is based simply on being 3 digits.

i will never understand why 100 pitches means guys will drop dead. i once read an article where someone mentioned how arbitrary the number is and that it is based simply on being 3 digits.
Idk man pitchers are dropping dead every other day so I think erring on the side of caution is wise. This isn’t 1955 where some big load was just tossing one mediocre fastball after another up there.

It's a combo of things. Typically that number coincides with a 3rd/4th time through the lineup which is a big reason why pitchers are removed.

Additionally pitchers are all about velocity so most go max effort for the 100 pitches trying to maximize velocity. That is also a contributing factor to both injury and not going deep in games.

Add all this together and that is why pitchers are taken out earlier and earlier. It isn't solely for arm protection. I would say the analytics is probably a bigger percentage of the reason. Maybe something like 75-25 analytics to injury prevention.

How about we all pitch in for a go fund me, think "Human Fund." I'll hold the money. The point is we get a bunch of cash, and offer it to a charity of a MLB teams choice, if they have a pitcher hit 150 pitches in a game this year. I think it's an epic idea.

Thoughts?
It's not just a hard pitch count number for the reason of being removed. Analytics about 3rd/4th time through the lineup is a big reason the starters are removed. Typically that coincides with around 100 pitches.

So dumb. Weak

So dumb. Weak
Do you think k he had enough to throw three more innings? So you would want him to throw another 48 pitches (if he stayed on his 16 pitch per inning rate)?

There was no way he was throwing 150 pitches to get a no hitter. So why not get him out then?

I haven't blocked a lot of people, but that post in question caused me to push the button. Just the latest in a series of horrible takes.

the mets……so dreadful. lindor is going to kill them being signed thru 2031 at 34mm per. me personally, i’d see if if i can clear him, but i highly doubt anyone would bite without the mets paying a chunk. hitting this guy in the top 3 of the order day in and day out makes me sad. they had him 3 most of the season and because his avg is sub .200 and .obp is sub .300 mendoza decides to move him up to the 1 spot. just what i want, more PAs. i get he is lindor, but maybe sit him down a day or 2 or hit him 6 or 7. a team that can’t score can’t have this guy hitting in the top 3rd right now. oh, jeff mcneil looks like he is swinging a wet noodle, not a bat.

Rob Manfred floating the idea of nationalizing the broadcast rights is interesting--hopelessly implausible--but something that would level things out financially across MLB.

Of course, the Yankees, Cubs and Dodgers would fight this with every ounce of strength. The Yankees earn more from TV in a couple of weeks than Tampa or KC do for the entire season.

I’ve been predicting the Nats calling up James Wood for awhile now. I’m starting to get legitimately angry that he’s not. A week ago, Nats were straddling .500, playing above expectations and not far from being a playoff contender. Bats have since gone silent. Nats 2-4 batters tonight were Eddie Rosario in RF who is hitting .185, Jesse Winker in LF batting .229, and Joey Meneses at DH in clean-up with a .227 average and .567 OPS. (Tonight did not matter because they are still throwing out Patrick Corbin to justify paying him $35 million this year, but I guess that 2019 flag flies forever.)

Meanwhile, James Wood keeps mashing in AAA — stat I saw earlier was that he is hitting .353 with a 1.021 OPS, seven home runs, and 10 stolen bases in AAA so far. (Oh, and he hit another home run today with a 110 mph exit velocity, so make that 8 now.)

I think would be tough for him to be in the ROY hunt coming up now. Only thing that I can think of is that they think if they keep giving Eddie Rosario at bats, they think they can flip him for some contender’s 37th ranked prospect at the trade deadline and call it a win or something.

Last edited:
I HATE managers not brining their closer in 4 run games. Sure, wait until there's guys on 2nd and 3rd, then go 'here you go buddy'. Especially after an off day.
Totally agree. It's much easier to start from a fresh slate with nobody on base. However, the counter to that is for some reason many closers suck if they aren't used in a save situation. For whatever reason they don't take it serious or have the adrenaline or ????? but many seem to be terrible in non-save situations.

Rob Manfred floating the idea of nationalizing the broadcast rights is interesting--hopelessly implausible--but something that would level things out financially across MLB.

Of course, the Yankees, Cubs and Dodgers would fight this with every ounce of strength. The Yankees earn more from TV in a couple of weeks than Tampa or KC do for the entire season.

Something will have to be done with the Bally situation. There was some talk about Amazon showing baseball.

So dumb. Weak
Do you think k he had enough to throw three more innings? So you would want him to throw another 48 pitches (if he stayed on his 16 pitch per inning rate)?

There was no way he was throwing 150 pitches to get a no hitter. So why not get him out then?
Well jeez Nolan did that….often. Threw it hard as a mofo……

No seriously I get it…..but pitchers today are simply not efficient enough.

The game has absolutely changed a lot in how it’s “approached” both hitting and pitching.

But this kid is a star and he will toss come CG’s in his career. I have little doubt.

He was a workhorse in college.

Nolan Ryan was one of one. There was nothing like him before and there will never be anything like him again. He was Secretariat; built differently than the rest.

Nolan also wasn't getting paid $30 million or more per year to pitch - he left Houston because they refused to go above $800K, lol. I know inflation and all but I don't think $800K in 1989 dollars is equal to $30 million in 2024 dollars.

Skenes will be placed in bubble wrap for the foreseeable future and that's just mandatory now with your future. He's got Strasbourg comparisons and I bet Washington would like a LOT of do-overs with him. We live and learn.

Nolan Ryan was one of one. There was nothing like him before and there will never be anything like him again. He was Secretariat; built differently than the rest.

Nolan also wasn't getting paid $30 million or more per year to pitch - he left Houston because they refused to go above $800K, lol. I know inflation and all but I don't think $800K in 1989 dollars is equal to $30 million in 2024 dollars.

Skenes will be placed in bubble wrap for the foreseeable future and that's just mandatory now with your future. He's got Strasbourg comparisons and I bet Washington would like a LOT of do-overs with him. We live and learn.
I know Nolan was Nolan.

But I can go into dozens and dozens and dozens of examples of pitchers in the 80’s, 90’s, 00’s

Who were absolute dogs, who threw quite hard…..but had outstanding efficiency.

Again the game has changed a lot….and it’s not for the better.

I know Nolan was Nolan.

But I can go into dozens and dozens and dozens of examples of pitchers in the 80’s, 90’s, 00’s

Sure, the steroid era produced a lot of freaks on the mound. Clements for one would meet your definition, but needed drugs to do it. Randy was supposedly clean, but he broke down long before Nolan did in their respective careers. Just reiterating that comparing 22 year old pitching phenoms to Nolan vis a vis how many pitches they SHOULD be able to throw is an exercise in futility. Nolan is sacred ground.

You say it's not for the better, eh....I don't agree. Pitching overall is better but it's coming at a staggering cost due to injuries. I certainly don't think we need to return to the steroid days because that's what we watched in the 80s, 90s and 2000s.

I know Nolan was Nolan.

Sure, the steroid era produced a lot of freaks on the mound. Clements for one would meet your definition, but needed drugs to do it. Randy was supposedly clean, but he broke down long before Nolan did in their respective careers. Just reiterating that comparing 22 year old pitching phenoms to Nolan vis a vis how many pitches they SHOULD be able to throw is an exercise in futility. Nolan is sacred ground.

You say it's not for the better, eh....I don't agree. Pitching overall is better but it's coming at a staggering cost due to injuries. I certainly don't think we need to return to the steroid days because that's what we watched in the 80s, 90s and 2000s.
I think it is less an issue of # of pitches and steroids than it is the types of pitches and effort per pitch. Guys are torquing their elbows to insane degrees to get their spin rates up and more movement and velocity on each pitch. I don't know how you tell a young pitcher to be 20% less effective to increase his longevity like pitchers did back in the day, people just aren't going to go for that.

Well jeez Nolan did that….often. Threw it hard as a mofo……
He threw as hard a a mofo but within his natural motion and effort profile. He didn't have to maximize every fiber of his being to max out his velocity causing his UCL to be the weak link and pop. He stayed within himself and had good mechanics. He naturally pitched to that velocity so it didn't overstress is body. Big difference between him and how guys throw these days.

Users who are viewing this thread