What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Academy Awards Discussion Thread*** - “Hollywood’s Biggest Night” (2 Viewers)

What kind of pull does Bill Murray have to get a quasi-monologue in the middle of “In Memorium” for Ivan Reitman?   

Any impact to Smith’s career? Will he have less marquee value? Will this affect him getting some choice roles? Will his per film price drop? Is his legacy forever tarnished? 

Any impact to Smith’s career? Will he have less marquee value? Will this affect him getting some choice roles? Will his per film price drop? Is his legacy forever tarnished? 
He is in his 50s, nearing 60s, he isn't a 'FRESH' face.  He was already beginning a natural 'slide', this gives him a 'huge' bump, but he lost that 'Ingénue-type charm' that was his cachet.  

Many will turn on him.

Plus if I remember correctly isn't Chappelle pretty jacked up physically as well now.  No way would Will Smith pull that stunt with him and risk a beat down on national tv.
That's an interesting observation. If it were, say, Shaq or Ray Lewis doing the intro and telling the Jada joke, we feel like Will Smith stays glued in his seat?

He and this moment will be a punchline for a long time. Anyone who looks at him for a long time is going to think of this slap.

I assume he will be fine but these Disney movies where he plays the main guy might be done for awhile.

He and this moment will be a punchline for a long time. Anyone who looks at him for a long time is going to think of this slap.

I assume he will be fine but these Disney movies where he plays the main guy might be done for awhile.
Someone earlier in the thread said he could still be the lead in The Juwan Howard story.

I really dislike Jada and the kids (from what I have seen) but I really don't follow things all that closely  - this is the most I thought about it in forever.   ANd I'm only going off the articles I read this morning :lol:

This is the most anyone has talked about the aoscars since they went into “everybody gets a nomination mode.”  

What Chris Rock might have said ....

When Will Smith suggested Jada shave before the Oscars he had something else in mind entirely. 

I was watching the red carpet strolls and thought how poorly Will Smith's son was aging when I realized it was just that Wesley Snipes had raided Jaden's closet.  BTW, Wesley, you are aging beautifully.

After the slap he could have said, Jazzy Jeff hits harder, Am I right Jada? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously not ok to strike another person.  I'm not going to defend Will Smith, just trying to understand his mindset as I write this out.  He's been in the public eye for basically his entire teen and adult life.  He's one of the most famous people in the world.  I'm assuming none of us know what that's like.  He's had issues in his personal life that have drawn criticism and mocking, some he's responsible for, some that he's probably not (stuff with his kids).

Campaigning /promoting for an oscar can be an almost yearlong process and I'm guessing the memoir (which revealed even more personal info for criticism) was part of it.  He's probably been working hard to promote himself leading up to that very night.  I'm sure people will shrug that off as the fakeness and facade of a being hollywood personality but the real Will has got to be somewhere underneath all that too.

Then your wife, who you seem to have a long up and down relationship but have worked hard to keep it together, is made the target of a seemingly light-heated joke regarding a condition that she considers very serious and has caused her personal anguish.  And it's coming from someone that has used his family as comedy fodder before.

Will is probably still in smile for the cameras, yes sir, no sir, need to look good campaigning mode and his wife looks to him for support.  What do you do in that split second when you have the opportunity to defend her before the moment is gone and she sees that you've laughed and then done nothing?  What would you think if Rock had made a fat joke when your wife was struggling with her weight and very self conscious about it but still decided to put on a dress and support you for your big night?

I don't know, I'm sure there were better options but in a split second decision with all that leading up to it, I have no idea what I would have / could have done in the moment.  I don't condone Will's actions, just trying to put myself in his shoes and understand before making a judgement.
I’m willing to chalk this up to Smith losing his cool and acting inappropriately in the heat of the moment. But what I find more difficult to forgive was the completely self-absorbed, God-complex acceptance speech he gave. In my opinion, people aren’t talking about that enough. He had a chance to be gracious (and should have been), but he decided it was all about promoting himself as a gift to the world. Completely bonkers speech in my opinion. 

So how soon until a comedian doing standup makes fun of someone in the audience that they get bumrushed on stage? Hey - Will Smith did it. I’ve seen comedians absolutely abuse people. Dice Clay went off the entire show on a red headed dude up front at a Vegas show. It was brutal. But never seen someone do anything other than heckle back. Really bad precedent. I’d like to hear from the Comedian community on what they think of this. Come on Chapelle - chime in. 

I find it hard to agree with any defense of Smith here. It was a joke, from a comedian. Show some grace and composure. Look back at every prior Oscars. They all have jokes at the expense of celebs. It's supposed to humanize them. This was apparently part of the previous night's audition as well. Sounds like Will knew it was coming, which makes the whole situation even more odd. My completely uninformed opinion is that Will is in a very toxic marriage. One that appears to only be "open" on Jada's side, and she has him completely twisted.

So how soon until a comedian doing standup makes fun of someone in the audience that they get bumrushed on stage? Hey - Will Smith did it. I’ve seen comedians absolutely abuse people. Dice Clay went off the entire show on a red headed dude up front at a Vegas show. It was brutal. But never seen someone do anything other than heckle back. Really bad precedent. I’d like to hear from the Comedian community on what they think of this. Come on Chapelle - chime in. 
I think Ricky Gervais is the guy we need to hear from. 

I obviously am just speculating but when I try to be empathetic and put myself in his shoes, I think it's this:

When you're that powerful, you think the rules don't apply to you. And he's mostly right. He'll have his famous friends like Bradley Cooper and Denzel Washington support him as well as tons of others. 

When you have that kind of power, you can do things others can't and not face repurcussions.

It's the exact same reason Donald Trump could say he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose any votes. He was maybe joking. But not completely. 

It's the same reason Deshaun Watson can land a 230 million contract with the Browns. When you're that powerful, you play by different rules than people with less power or ability. 

It's not fair. But it's how it is for many people. 
Same reason the Saudi Prince knew he could assassinate and bonesaw an American journalist without even trying to hide it.  

I’m willing to chalk this up to Smith losing his cool and acting inappropriately in the heat of the moment. But what I find more difficult to forgive was the completely self-absorbed, God-complex acceptance speech he gave. In my opinion, people aren’t talking about that enough. He had a chance to be gracious (and should have been), but he decided it was all about promoting himself as a gift to the world. Completely bonkers speech in my opinion. 
I honestly think the Scientology stuff has really messed his head up. That whole family is way outside of normal.

I really dislike Jada and the kids (from what I have seen) but I really don't follow things all that closely  - this is the most I thought about it in forever.   ANd I'm only going off the articles I read this morning :lol:

Those kids are in a messed up spot and deserve a little love and forgiveness

in fairness, I don't think that was the speech he had planned - I doubt "protecting" his two female costars was in his speech - he just completely messed it up trying to cover his butt

I find it hard to agree with any defense of

Smith

here. It was a joke, from a comedian. Show some grace and composure. Look back at every prior Oscars. They all have jokes at the expense of celebs. It's supposed to humanize them. This was apparently part of the previous night's audition as well. Sounds like Will knew it was coming, which makes the whole situation even more odd. My completely uninformed opinion is that Will is in a very toxic marriage. One that appears to only be "open" on Jada's side, and she has him completely twisted.
Bug fan of this.

Show some grace. Also, I think you probably knew it was coming, and I think your marriage is ####. Show some grace.

:hifive:

I honestly think the Scientology stuff has really messed his head up. That whole family is way outside of normal.
Best I can tell, he's not a scientologist. Pretty sure Leah Remini apologized to Jada for making that claim. 

I dont think Will was ever "outed". Both claim they are not scientologists. 

It's not that uncommon.  Pretty sure every road comic has stories about confrontations on stage. 

After Joaquin Phoenix and Will Smith's wacko acceptance speeches, maybe they should just limit the speeches to 15 seconds or skip them entirely?    :excited:

Actors routinely alter their hair for roles.

Unless Smith knew that Rock specifically knew Jada had alopecia, joking about another actors hair...and it wasn't a degrading joke- just referential- then there is really nothing to see here.

And even if he did know and was being a #### about it ...Smith obviously feels he's bigger and more important than the moment- the international Oscars presentation- and can't just shrug it off and talk/slap with Rock later. To me, the absolute lack of hubris here...just the worst of Hollywood thinking they're more important than anything around them. Shameless.
Ok. But I thought it was known she has an issue with alopecia? 

2 more thoughts:

1) Sean Penn has to be really frustrated. The biggest drama of the night was whether he would actually melt down his Oscar if Zelensky wasn’t part of the show. Now absolutely nobody cares.

2) I know it’s been part of the show for a while and it was to be expected, but IMO, roasting celebs at the biggest award show of the year is pretty dumb. Can you imagine going to the most prestigious awards show of your industry and the MC for the night starts roasting individuals and getting really personal? Seems like something implemented to please the public and take celebs down a notch during a self-congratulatory ceremony. My solution? Get rid of the roast and just stop televising the ceremony. Make it an industry thing.

What kind of pull does Bill Murray have to get a quasi-monologue in the middle of “In Memorium” for Ivan Reitman?   
Reitman’s refugee origin story has some resonance right now, so maybe it was the story first and then Bill Murray was just who they got to tell it.

After Joaquin Phoenix and Will Smith's wacko acceptance speeches, maybe they should just limit the speeches to 15 seconds or skip them entirely?    :excited:
Yea kinda like the handshake line...

ala Will Smith / Juwan Howard ##### slaps

Users who are viewing this thread