What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Academy Awards Discussion Thread*** - “Hollywood’s Biggest Night” (1 Viewer)

I still think the Smiths were mad about the open marriage shot from Regina Hall - cause it made them both look like fools.

Then they took another shot from Rock - and he got all the retaliation.

If that was staged then both of them need to get a 2023 Oscar for it.
I doubt it was staged. The Oscars have been criticized for years for under-representing minorities, and a couple years ago they made new diversity rules. I don't think it was in their plans to have a black man commit assault and battery on another black man on their stage. There is nothing positive about that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not defending Will Smith at all but making jokes about one’s wife regarding her hair which I am sure is very personal to her doesn’t seem very funny. Kind of like making fun of someone being disfigured or dealing with a disease. Crazy stuff but be nice for comedians to respect certain things about people. I guess it’s funny to see comedians show there is no place or subject they won’t make fun of? But when you are in the entertainment industry you need to be thicker skinned and deal with it I guess.
Actors routinely alter their hair for roles.

Unless Smith knew that Rock specifically knew Jada had alopecia, joking about another actors hair...and it wasn't a degrading joke- just referential- then there is really nothing to see here.

And even if he did know and was being a #### about it ...Smith obviously feels he's bigger and more important than the moment- the international Oscars presentation- and can't just shrug it off and talk/slap with Rock later. To me, the absolute lack of hubris here...just the worst of Hollywood thinking they're more important than anything around them. Shameless.

Will Smoth is about as 

Not defending Will Smith at all but making jokes about one’s wife regarding her hair which I am sure is very personal to her doesn’t seem very funny. Kind of like making fun of someone being disfigured or dealing with a disease. Crazy stuff but be nice for comedians to respect certain things about people. I guess it’s funny to see comedians show there is no place or subject they won’t make fun of? But when you are in the entertainment industry you need to be thicker skinned and deal with it I guess.
Comedy is about pushing boundaries.  

Unless Smith knew that Rock specifically knew Jada had alopecia, joking about another actors hair...and it wasn't a degrading joke- just referential- then there is really nothing to see here.

And even if he did know and was being a #### about it ...Smith obviously feels he's bigger and more important than the moment- the international Oscars presentation- and can't just shrug it off and talk/slap with Rock later. To me, the absolute lack of hubris here...just the worst of Hollywood thinking they're more important than anything around them. Shameless.
And GI Jane is about as girl boss a movie as I’ve seen too.  

Went to bed before the Will Smith stuff but after watching it now, that punch was definitely fake. Look at how Rock’s head is moving before he’s even “hit”. It was staged. 
I'm not so sure.  I think he has the reaction time to roll with it.

I still think the Smiths were mad about the open marriage shot from Regina Hall - cause it made them both look like fools.

What was that joke?  I missed a bit of the show it seems.  

Rock made a joke about Jada at the show a couple years ago and there has been talk that her and Will have been angry about it ever since. 

People still saying it’s fake despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary are half a step away from QAnon. There is zero reason will smith and rock would fake that, doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny at all. 
There are millions, maybe billions of reasons.

Edit: I've actually changed my mind on this, though. Occam's Razor says it's not faked because Will Smith really is crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

If Smith didn't find it funny, all he had to do was not laugh.  Point made.

I have the feeling that the production booth had no idea of what to do in the moment.  

P. Diddy essentially said we should aspire to the qualities displayed in movies about the mafia and nobody is even talking about that.

People still saying it’s fake despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary are half a step away from QAnon. There is zero reason will smith and rock would fake that, doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny at all. 
:goodposting:   Also, he laughed approvingly at the joke at first while Jada shot daggers.  I guarantee (we couldn't see in the telecast as it panned back to Rock :zapruder: ) that her next dagger glance was at Will Smith.  He just got caught laughing at the joke by his wife, he felt ashamed and realized he was in deep crap...thus lost his mind.  She probably gave him the "see, this is why I get with real men and real rappers outside of our marriage from time to time" look.  Lotta baggage having nothing to do with Rock on that slap.

I couldn't watch all of Smith's acceptance speech.  Had to turn it off.  He went on for too long.  As for the "incident", if true, and I doubt it, wouldn't it have been funny if Rock gave him some back?

Obviously not ok to strike another person.  I'm not going to defend Will Smith, just trying to understand his mindset as I write this out.  He's been in the public eye for basically his entire teen and adult life.  He's one of the most famous people in the world.  I'm assuming none of us know what that's like.  He's had issues in his personal life that have drawn criticism and mocking, some he's responsible for, some that he's probably not (stuff with his kids).

Campaigning /promoting for an oscar can be an almost yearlong process and I'm guessing the memoir (which revealed even more personal info for criticism) was part of it.  He's probably been working hard to promote himself leading up to that very night.  I'm sure people will shrug that off as the fakeness and facade of a being hollywood personality but the real Will has got to be somewhere underneath all that too.

Then your wife, who you seem to have a long up and down relationship but have worked hard to keep it together, is made the target of a seemingly light-heated joke regarding a condition that she considers very serious and has caused her personal anguish.  And it's coming from someone that has used his family as comedy fodder before.

Will is probably still in smile for the cameras, yes sir, no sir, need to look good campaigning mode and his wife looks to him for support.  What do you do in that split second when you have the opportunity to defend her before the moment is gone and she sees that you've laughed and then done nothing?  What would you think if Rock had made a fat joke when your wife was struggling with her weight and very self conscious about it but still decided to put on a dress and support you for your big night?

I don't know, I'm sure there were better options but in a split second decision with all that leading up to it, I have no idea what I would have / could have done in the moment.  I don't condone Will's actions, just trying to put myself in his shoes and understand before making a judgement.

What was that joke?  I missed a bit of the show it seems.  

She had a list of some male actors needed to be called back stage so she could give them a personal covid swab - Bradley Copper, Tyler Perry and two others were called to the stage.

She then called Will Smith - and she said something like "Apparently, Jada is cool with it."

Obviously not ok to strike another person.  I'm not going to defend Will Smith, just trying to understand his mindset as I write this out. 

I obviously am just speculating but when I try to be empathetic and put myself in his shoes, I think it's this:

When you're that powerful, you think the rules don't apply to you. And he's mostly right. He'll have his famous friends like Bradley Cooper and Denzel Washington support him as well as tons of others. 

When you have that kind of power, you can do things others can't and not face repurcussions.

It's the exact same reason Donald Trump could say he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose any votes. He was maybe joking. But not completely. 

It's the same reason Deshaun Watson can land a 230 million contract with the Browns. When you're that powerful, you play by different rules than people with less power or ability. 

It's not fair. But it's how it is for many people. 

I don't think the main thought (and of course we are all speculating on this very serious matter) on Will Smith's mind was  "I'm far to rich and powerful for anything to happen to me".  I think the main thing on his mind was the many, many, many therapy sessions they've had together dealing with their open marriage/infidelity where she's probably hammered him of never defending her.  Not being man enough for her.  He just got busted laughing at a joke towards her. 

Man I love discussing stupid, trite stuff again.  I've been so bogged down by Covid/politics arguments.

"“The Academy does not condone violence of any form,” reads a statement posted to the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences’ Twitter account.

Unless, that is, it's filmed by a union crew, features performers with SAG cards, and gets a wide release.
Yeah, right.   That's why zip happened to Smith, he got to sit there the rest of the show, and walk up on stage to accept his award.   Can't take the rating hit, I guess.  

Like I've said, IMO the only thing that makes that OK is if Chris Rock himself is the one to say let it go, he ####ed up, whatever.   Outside of that the behavior is bizzare, but not unexpected considering Smith's level of fame and backing in Hollywood.   

Yeah, right.   That's why zip happened to Smith, he got to sit there the rest of the show, and walk up on stage to accept his award.   Can't take the rating hit, I guess.  

Like I've said, IMO the only thing that makes that OK is if Chris Rock himself is the one to say let it go, he ####ed up, whatever.   Outside of that the behavior is bizzare, but not unexpected considering Smith's level of fame and backing in Hollywood.   
I’m guessing they had no idea what to do. He was the huge favorite to win the Oscar. Plus if you try to remove him, who knows how he reacts and that could have detailed the whole show and turned even more embarrassing. But yeah I can’t believe they just left him there. I do know Chris Rock spoke with the LAPD and said he didn’t want to press charges.

Wasn’t even in the top 100 of most boundary pushing jokes by comedians hosting the Oscar’s 
It wasn't even that great of a joke honestly.   

One of my favorite shots of the night was Shumer's about women's roles in flicks, and we finally get a movie about the powerful Williams sisters........ overbearing father.   I thought that was spot on, and a bit what I was thinking watching that movie (didn't really like it much at all - IMO the worst of the best pic noms).  

I don't think the main thought (and of course we are all speculating on this very serious matter) on Will Smith's mind was  "I'm far to rich and powerful for anything to happen to me".  I think the main thing on his mind was the many, many, many therapy sessions they've had together dealing with their open marriage/infidelity where she's probably hammered him of never defending her.  Not being man enough for her.  He just got busted laughing at a joke towards her. 

Man I love discussing stupid, trite stuff again.  I've been so bogged down by Covid/politics arguments.
I agree, he was an emotional mess.

you can do things others can't and not face repurcussions.
You are wrong Joe.  People with power will abuse it but don't think he or others who abuse power don't or won't face repercussions.  

I do know Chris Rock spoke with the LAPD and said he didn’t want to press charges.
Respect.

If he pressed charges, Will becomes a victim.

Should have had Rock accept it, or show Rock's pic for the In Memorandum. ;)  

I don't know, I'm sure there were better options but in a split second decision with all that leading up to it, I have no idea what I would have / could have done in the moment.  I don't condone Will's actions, just trying to put myself in his shoes and understand before making a judgement.
all good points- and no way for any of us to understand what being that famous does to your mindset.

but still shocking the lack of awareness, and overblown self-importance to forcefully make that event about him. And in such a childish manner. if that's what being famous does to his mindset... it's time for some serious blowback- or we should hang it up and I for one accept our self-involved, self-important, bigger/better than moment Hollywood overlords.

Will missed an opportunity there. He ruined any chance for the high road he had by that stupid move.

And he could have easily had the high road. He could have gone up there during his acceptance speech, or made a statement afterward, denouncing Chris Rock using his wife's medical condition to make a joke. 

When the #### did that become OK? 

Like I said, he ruined it because h ran up there, and now we will have a bunch of dumbbells running up on stage everytime they get offended now.

If Smith didn't find it funny, all he had to do was not laugh.  Point made.

I have the feeling that the production booth had no idea of what to do in the moment.  
Or, at worst, if he absolutely feels like he HAS to do something, simply walk on stage, grab the mic, and address it with his words. Something like

“It takes a small man to make fun of a woman who lost her hair to a medical condition. What’s even sadder is that you even produced a movie all about how important hair is to a black woman and yet you still did this. You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to take a cheap shot to humiliate a black woman like this.”

Also lost in all of this is how hilarious the countdowns they let the internet decide. The all time cheers moment was Flash entering the speed zone and the fan favorite film of the year was Army of the Dead.

This would have been the equivalent of following up Emma Thompson’s Oscar win for Sense and Sensibility in 1996 with a montage of Timecop. 

I’m guessing they had no idea what to do. He was the huge favorite to win the Oscar. Plus if you try to remove him, who knows how he reacts and that could have detailed the whole show and turned even more embarrassing. But yeah I can’t believe they just left him there. I do know Chris Rock spoke with the LAPD and said he didn’t want to press charges.
Does he have to press charges for Smith to be charged?  

Or, at worst, if he absolutely feels like he HAS to do something, simply walk on stage, grab the mic, and address it with his words. Something like

“It takes a small man to make fun of a woman who lost her hair to a medical condition. What’s even sadder is that you even produced a movie all about how important hair is to a black woman and yet you still did this. You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to take a cheap shot to humiliate a black woman like this.”
That's what he should have done. He could have crushed Rock.

Or...

"Chris, everyone here and everyone watching knows your joke was a mean spirited bomb. But Jada and I want you to know that we forgive you."

Great points, he took a golden opportunity to look good and absolutely fumbled it. Now he looks awful and unhinged. Plus it’s shifted the convo from making fun of women, medical conditions to toxic masculinity.

I agree, he was an emotional mess.
Exactly!  Great point.  If that were fake, he wouldn't have been such a big mess afterwards. A whole lot of baggage boiled over there.  Will Smith has always had Hollywood's likeable every-man goal. He lost it and knew he let that mask drop. 100% no way it was a shoot.  The two, Smith and Rock, could come out for damage control reasons and say it was fake and I won't believe it.

"He got in one little fight and his mom got scared." 

Exactly!  Great point.  If that were fake, he wouldn't have been such a big mess afterwards. A whole lot of baggage boiled over there.  Will Smith has always had Hollywood's likeable every-man goal. He lost it and knew he let that mask drop. 100% no way it was a shoot.  The two, Smith and Rock, could come out for damage control reasons and say it was fake and I won't believe it.

"He got in one little fight and his mom got scared." 
Yeah he was breaking down at his speech talking about being a vessel of love. 

Users who are viewing this thread