What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL**** Astros / White Sox WS Thread (1 Viewer)

Carpenter is so money. They should leave him in for the 9th, too. Why risk it with Isringhausen. Carpenter is still on top of his game.

Dang it Pujols...I do NOT want to see Isringhausen in this game. :rant:
Why is everyone so down on Izzy? His ERA is just above 2, with 35+ saves.
The stats don't tell the whole story. If the Cards are up by 4, he'll give up 2, then walk a couple guys and finally get the last out. He's not a dominant closer (like Rivera or Lidge) who can get 6 outs.

a 4 pitch inning in the 8th???? how the #### are you supposed to get carpenter out of the game if you go up there swinging at the first pitch you see??show just a little patience...good lord.

Carpenter is so money. They should leave him in for the 9th, too. Why risk it with Isringhausen. Carpenter is still on top of his game.
I think they will leave him in for the 9th. Isringhausen will be ready if any sort of rally gets underway though...

I am totally on the edge of my seat right now. I would be maxin' and relaxin' if Carpenter were still in. That says something....I think.

Solid game for the Cardinals. When you rely on an 'ace' like Carpenter...you HAVE to win those games (especially when they're at home). Great team effort. Now we need Mulder to be 100% tomorrow.

See, that is why Isringhausen makes us nervous. He got some gifts from the ump, for sure, but game over. One down, three to go.

Mrs. Sacamano: So you unnecessarily punched a hole in our couch?Bob: No, it was completely necessary at the time.Mrs. Sacamano: Uh-huh.Bob: It was!!Mrs. Sacamano: You're an idiot.

Solid game for the Cardinals. When you rely on an 'ace' like Carpenter...you HAVE to win those games (especially when they're at home). Great team effort. Now we need Mulder to be 100% tomorrow.
And the good Mulder, who is capable of throwing a no hitter. Not the bad Mulder, who makes Bob throw things at his TV.

Houston should be a heavy favorite in game 3 with Clemens facing Morris, so winning game 2 tonight is very important. Like Kramer's buddy said, hopefully, the good Mulder shows up tonight, because he has owned the Astros this year when on his game.

Houston should be a heavy favorite in game 3 with Clemens facing Morris, so winning game 2 tonight is very important. Like Kramer's buddy said, hopefully, the good Mulder shows up tonight, because he has owned the Astros this year when on his game.
I agree that tonight is an important game...but I do not agree that Clemens will be a prohibitive favorite against Morris. Morris is 1-1 against the Astros this year and pitched effectively in both games. Clemens has pitched effectively against the Cards this years, but he is 1-3 against them (albeit 1 was the 1-0 loss where Mulder threw a 10 inning gem against him).If anything this is THE critical game for the Astros to stay in this series. If they lose tonight it is over. Oswalt is nails. If Mulder pitches well and we get to Oswalt it will be a stake through the heart. As a Cardinal fan I am happy to see Berkamn hitting from the right side tonight, but Ensberg scares the hell out of me.

Houston should be a heavy favorite in game 3 with Clemens facing Morris, so winning game 2 tonight is very important.  Like Kramer's buddy said, hopefully, the good Mulder shows up tonight, because he has owned the Astros this year when on his game.
I agree that tonight is an important game...but I do not agree that Clemens will be a prohibitive favorite against Morris. Morris is 1-1 against the Astros this year and pitched effectively in both games. Clemens has pitched effectively against the Cards this years, but he is 1-3 against them (albeit 1 was the 1-0 loss where Mulder threw a 10 inning gem against him).If anything this is THE critical game for the Astros to stay in this series. If they lose tonight it is over. Oswalt is nails. If Mulder pitches well and we get to Oswalt it will be a stake through the heart. As a Cardinal fan I am happy to see Berkamn hitting from the right side tonight, but Ensberg scares the hell out of me.
I'm sure I've posted some of this here before, but oh well. I am not a big fan of Morris pitching game 3. I think Suppan earned that start down the stretch, and he would have been the better option, especially considering who would start a game 7 and Suppan's results head to head with Clemens last year. That would have been a huge confidence boost for him, I think.That said, this is the kind of lineup Morris can be effective against. He nibbles. He hits corners. He doesn't overpower, and if you're an average or young hitter, he'll murder you with his curveball. That's why he did well against the Pads. Very few hitters in that lineup scared him. Quality, patient hitters are the ones who beat him and his having confidence is everything. Once he looses it, fuhgetaboutit. That's why and how the Red Sox beat him in the WS. Incidentally, I think that's why he hasn't been the same pitcher since DK's death. He and Kile fed off each other and Kile really pumped him up and brought him back to center.

If he can work around the Biggios and Ensbergs without getting lit up too badly, he could be OK.

This is not a must win.Not after last year's performance at home.It's a *very* important win, but taking away all possibility is ridiculous.And this might be the only time I get to brag all series.1-0 Houston!!!

2-0!!!Yes, I'm going overboard, but why not celebrate when you get the rare opportunity. :pickle:

Last edited by a moderator:
decent catch by edmonds
Heh.I'm amazed every time I see him play.

He's the real Cardinals MVP. If it weren't for him, it would be 4-1 right now, not 2-1, and it would've been the Astros swept last year in the WS, not the Cards.

Edmonds at-bat in the 7th was pathetic. The previous three batters make Oswalt work and with two on and two out, Edmonds comes up and weakly grounds out on the first pitch. Then, Tavarez (sp?) lets up two in the 8th to let the lead get to 4-1. And if Reggie Sanders misses any time at all, the Cardinals are in trouble.

Potentially good series. And anybody that's been to Minute Maid Field or whatever the hell they call it for a meaningful game will tell you the atmosphere's electric.

Edmonds at-bat in the 7th was pathetic. The previous three batters make Oswalt work and with two on and two out, Edmonds comes up and weakly grounds out on the first pitch.

Then, Tavarez (sp?) lets up two in the 8th to let the lead get to 4-1.

And if Reggie Sanders misses any time at all, the Cardinals are in trouble.
I thought the 3-2 pitch to Edmonds in the 5th was the ballgame.That curveball on the inside corner was perfect, and I think *really* frustrated the Cardinals.

And Sanders should've caught that ball. That was just awful judgment...I hope he's okay.

Potentially good series. And anybody that's been to Minute Maid Field or whatever the hell they call it for a meaningful game will tell you the atmosphere's electric.
They close the roof during the playoffs for a reason.I want to be there, badly...

I will if they get to the WS though. That's worth the trip.

Edmonds got completely owned last night. Bum.Seriously though...very well pitched game. Sanders' non-catch was really, really ugly. That was a Jose Canseco-like butchering of the play.

Bernie Miklasz, the lead sports writer for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, says that Sanders has bumps and bruises all over and that the injury is being listed as a mild back sprain. LaRussa said it is 50-50 whether or not he will play in game 3. With the way some of the other players are slumping offensively right now, losing Sanders could be extremely costly, especially to a team already missing their 2nd best player (Rolen).

With the way some of the other players are slumping offensively right now, losing Sanders could be extremely costly, especially to a team already missing their 2nd best player (Rolen).
In your opinion Rolen's a better player than Edmonds?

With the way some of the other players are slumping offensively right now, losing Sanders could be extremely costly, especially to a team already missing their 2nd best player (Rolen).
In your opinion Rolen's a better player than Edmonds?
If we had a healthy Rolen they wouldn't even bother to play the NLCS. His glove is that good and his bat adds another dimension to the middle of the lineup. Mabry and Nunez have been great picking up the slack, but his absence is noticeable.The thing with the Cards though (similar to the thing about the Astros) is team chemistry. Something about playing in St Louis (could it be the community love affair with the team???) brings out the best in players.

That is one thing I most respect about the Astros is that they have such good team chemistry. In both cases the sum total is greater than the individual parts. I don't have the animosity toward the Astros that I do toward the hated Cubs. They are a good squad. It is going to be a great series.

Users who are viewing this thread