What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL**** Astros / White Sox WS Thread (1 Viewer)

Enjoy it Stros fans. With that pitching staff I don't see how they can lose a series to the Angels or Sox.

Enjoy it Stros fans. With that pitching staff I don't see how they can lose a series to the Angels or Sox.
:lmao: :lmao: This series is FAR from over.

I've been an Astros fan way too long. 80 (I've seen game tapes), 86, 99, and 2004, it looked like we had everything in the bag *each* series.

We didn't win any of them.

Enjoy it Stros fans.  With that pitching staff I don't see how they can lose a series to the Angels or Sox.

I've been an Astros fan way too long. 80 (I've seen game tapes), 86, 99, and 2004, it looked like we had everything in the bag *each* series.

I guess you haven't watched the LaRussa Cardinals lay down and die sooner or later in every postseason like I have. Congratulations, and good luck.

I guess you haven't watched the LaRussa Cardinals lay down and die sooner or later in every postseason like I have. Congratulations, and good luck.
Were you saying this last year when the Astros were up 3-2?I'm starting to peg you as a fair-weather fan with all the negativity. Your team lost two games. Big deal.

Enjoy it Stros fans.  With that pitching staff I don't see how they can lose a series to the Angels or Sox.

Were you saying this last year when the Astros were up 3-2?I'm starting to peg you as a fair-weather fan with all the negativity. Your team lost two games. Big deal.
Who said they were my team?I'm starting to peg you as someone who's afraid of the dreaded Reverse Jinx. :o

Who said they were my team?I'm starting to peg you as someone who's afraid of the dreaded Reverse Jinx. :o
dude, go hijack the ALCS thread. we're having an intelligent discussion over here.

dude, go hijack the ALCS thread. we're having an intelligent discussion over here.
Link?

Seriously though, you wimps may not like my approach, but you can't argue with the facts. The Cardinals are becoming classic postseason choke artists. Watch the at-bats. Watch the strategy, or lack thereof. Watch the lackadaisical attitude. This is a team that approaches every postseason series as is it's just another regular season series. This happens every year (when they make the playoffs). Sure they can handle a crummy team like the Padres or the Dodgers last year, but you throw some real effort at them, you crank it up to 11 like a real playoff team is supposed to, and they crumble like a house of.. Cards.I've changed my mind about one thing, however. The Astros are going down in the WS. You heard it here first.

dude, go hijack the ALCS thread.  we're having an intelligent discussion over here.
Link?
try here.dont go away mad, just go away
If you're so smart why don't you discuss, instead of coming in here and flinging ####? Who the hell are you?I came in with a valid point and you two haven't even engaged it. Oh because you're Astros fans, you know nothing about baseball. I hope the Red Sox fan comes back.

dude, go hijack the ALCS thread.  we're having an intelligent discussion over here.
Link?
If you're so smart why don't you discuss, instead of coming in here and flinging ####? Who the hell are you?I came in with a valid point and you two haven't even engaged it. Oh because you're Astros fans, you know nothing about baseball. I hope the Red Sox fan comes back.
well, we've been discussing long before you came in here and showed us all your ###. catch up why dont you.

Link?
well, we've been discussing long before you came in here and showed us all your ###. catch up why dont you.
7 pages of play-by-play. Super. You guys really are sharp.

Link?
quality, not quantity. but still it seems to be lost on you.

Link?
:lmao: Good talk, guy.What happened to the baseball fans on this board? Did they all go to BBT? Did Joe ban them all?

I didn't see much of the game (was at a wedding today), but caught the highlights. From what I saw and heard, that was a cheap shot by Lane on the slide that injured Nunez. He slid way too early and if you watch it again, he left his knee up very high in an attempt to take out Nunez. Plus, he was several feet out of the baseline and should have been called out as a result. Instead, he scored (on a bad throw by Luna, who had to replace Nunez) and ended up being the deciding run. Absolute bull crap.That aside, the Cardinals are hitting like crap. Pujols cannot do it all by himself. Will Walker, Edmonds or our pile of crap 2B please step up and get a big hit? Sadly though, injuries have decimated the Cardinals to the point where it will take a miracle for them to win this series now. All I know is they have got to beat Brandon Backe tomorrow. If they do not, the series is over.

I didn't see much of the game (was at a wedding today), but caught the highlights. From what I saw and heard, that was a cheap shot by Lane on the slide that injured Nunez. He slid way too early and if you watch it again, he left his knee up very high in an attempt to take out Nunez. Plus, he was several feet out of the baseline and should have been called out as a result. Instead, he scored (on a bad throw by Luna, who had to replace Nunez) and ended up being the deciding run. Absolute bull crap.
In a post-game interview Lane said he was trying to slide under Nunez and also "break up the play" as if he were trying to break up a double play. Is that a cheap shot or is that good base running? Seriously, I'm not much of a baseball fan and don't know. As for being several feet out of the baseline, I don't recall that at all.

Link?
:lmao: Good talk, guy.What happened to the baseball fans on this board? Did Joe ban them all?
Actually, yes.

Congratulations, Astros. The Umpires and that f####ng hill in centerfield just won you Game 4.F### Minute Maid Park.

Obviously you haven't been watching the White Sox arms shutting down teams the past three weeks.The only edge I give the Stros over the White Sox is Lidge and the goofiest centerfield going.

WHAT A LOAD kickin' out Edmunds.

That wasn't even close to a flippin' strike and then to BOOT the guy.

:thumbdown: :yucky: :thumbdown:
It was a strike and has been called a strike all day. Could have gotten Edmonds on the bat swing so either way he was screwed.

BRING EM ON!!!!I wonder who's sides the umps will be on, as it seems pretty clear MLB wants 'different teams' in the World Series this year.....and just remember which team has been laying the smackdown ON THE ROAD.....

Last edited by a moderator:
The only edge I give the Stros over the White Sox is Lidge and the goofiest centerfield going.
1. R. Clemens 1.87 2. A. Pettitte 2.39

3. R. Oswalt 2.94

1. M. Buehrle 3.12

2. J. Garland 3.50

3. J. Contreras 3.61

Congratulations, Astros. The Umpires and that f####ng hill in centerfield just won you Game 4.

F### Minute Maid Park.
Seriouisly, blaming everyone but your own team is bush league. You're better than this, Lumbergh...you really are.

it was not the umpire that cost the game, but that guy has no business being an umpire in an NLCS when he tosses both LaRussa and Edmonds to make up for his inadequacies in calling a strike zone.Again, the cardinals cost themselves the game, period. To say that umpire is not bush is moronic though. Tossing two guys in the NLCS. That says it all.Now, as for the game, the Astros are looking very good (pitching wise) and that is what wins series. Hopefully the Cards can nut up andmake a series of it. We can take Pettite and Clemens...its Oswalt I am worried about.

:thumbdown: :yucky: :thumbdown:
It was a strike and has been called a strike all day. Could have gotten Edmonds on the bat swing so either way he was screwed.
Bull ####. The 4 pitch walk Marquis issued in the 7th that led to the winning run was in the same spot and was called a BALL. I have never been this irate after a game before. The Cardinals lack of timely hitting pisses me off, but there is nothing worse than losing a game thanks to the umpires. This is like 1985 all over again. Now I know how all of those Angels fans felt like last week. And this is not homer talk. Anyone with a brain who watched that whole game knows the Cardinals got screwed royally.

Oh, and watch the replay of the last play. Mabry was safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

:thumbdown:   :yucky:   :thumbdown:
Bull ####. The 4 pitch walk Marquis issued in the 7th that led to the winning run was in the same spot and was called a BALL. I have never been this irate after a game before. The Cardinals lack of timely hitting pisses me off, but there is nothing worse than losing a game thanks to the umpires. This is like 1985 all over again. Now I know how all of those Angels fans felt like last week. And this is not homer talk. Anyone with a brain who watched that whole game knows the Cardinals got screwed royally.

:lmao:

Congratulations, Astros. The Umpires and that f####ng hill in centerfield just won you Game 4.

F### Minute Maid Park.
Seriouisly, blaming everyone but your own team is bush league. You're better than this, Lumbergh...you really are.
I'll accept that I may have been wrong about the umpires. But Keys Myaths, you have to admit that Minute Maid Park is the biggest freaking disgrace of all the MLB ballparks. That short porch in left field provides cheap home runs to hitters who hit a ball 315 feet while that centerfield robs power hitters that hit a ball 430 feet out there.Absolutely stupid.

Link?
:lmao: Good talk, guy.What happened to the baseball fans on this board? Did Joe ban them all?
Actually, yes.
:lmao: It's not as fun #####ing about the Cardinals as an alias.

Yeah, I'm staying out of this thread until you guys calm down.

I feel like I'd just get mauled.
Despite being annoyed being beyond belief at the screwjob the Cards just got, I am perfectly calm.Do you think the strike zone was consistent today?

Do you think the Cardinals did not get screwed at all?

Do you think the umps did not greatly aid Houston their win?

Congratulations, Astros.  The Umpires and that f####ng hill in centerfield just won you Game 4.

F### Minute Maid Park.
I'll accept that I may have been wrong about the umpires. But Keys Myaths, you have to admit that Minute Maid Park is the biggest freaking disgrace of all the MLB ballparks. That short porch in left field provides cheap home runs to hitters who hit a ball 315 feet while that centerfield robs power hitters that hit a ball 430 feet out there.Absolutely stupid.
Yeah, it's the ball park's fault that Al Pujols got thrown out at home. It's the ball park's fault that the Cards got 5 hits all day. It's the ball park's fault that Mabry hit into a game ending double play. It's the ball park's fault, you are right.

F### Minute Maid Park.
Call me Matt. You know me well enough, and even on a message board, it's weird to be called Keys.It's been the park's knock ever since it was built.

But honestly, as an Astros fan, I love it. Our pitchers train to guide the ball into center, and our hitters train to flip it to left or right (which is also really short). It's a huge home-field advantage. I would be just as upset if I were an opposing team, but it's great as an Astros fan.

Besides, this series is far from over. You have Carpenter in G5, and then you go home, where you won down 3-2 last year. I'm still very concerned.

Besides, this series is far from over. You have Carpenter in G5, and then you go home, where you won down 3-2 last year. I'm still very concerned.
Give me a break. Teams almost never recover from screwjobs like what happened today. Look at how Anahem has fallen apart since getting the shaft in game 2. And I do not expect these douchebags umpires to suddenly start giving the Cards the breaks tomorrow. The Cardinals lack of timely hitting is demoralizing to see, but when you are trying to fight out of a slump and fighting the umps at the same time, it is a losing battle every single time.

Despite being annoyed being beyond belief at the screwjob the Cards just got, I am perfectly calm.Do you think the strike zone was consistent today?

The strike zone hasn't been consistent the whole series. This crew is terrible, I agree.To the extent that the Cards got screwed out of the game, I disagree. Yes, there were some calls that did not go their way, but that goes both way and usually evens out in the course of a series.

The Cards got beat because they couldn't get a hit. Deal with it.

The strike zone hasn't been consistent the whole series. This crew is terrible, I agree.
That's my view. The umps were absolutely terrible today. Horrible. They have been the whole series, though, on both sides. You never know what you're going to get.I think the Cardinals screwed themselves, to answer the original question. It was a 3-1 pitch. If you watch it again, Edmonds makes his point, and the umpire keeps him in the game. It's only after the second effort at the argument that he gets tossed. You can't do that...especially in that kind of situation. It gets your team thinking about everything *but* the game...

And LaRussa started it when he went nutso the inning before. You can't do that either. You get thrown out in a situation like that, go to the clubhose...don't argue for 6 hours. That takes your team completely out of the game, and looking to make excuses rather than making plays. Yes, the umpires were terrible. But so were the Cardinals' reactions.

Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it. I think the 10% hurt the Cards, but it was the 90% that killed them.

Ok, think of it this way. Had that been called a ball on Edmonds like it should have been, there would have been two out and two out with Pujols at the plate. Think that changes things at all? DUH! Oh, and what did Pujols did with that at-bat to start off the 9th?

Ok, think of it this way. Had that been called a ball on Edmonds like it should have been, there would have been two out and two out with Pujols at the plate. Think that changes things at all? DUH! Oh, and what did Pujols did with that at-bat to start off the 9th?
I feel your pain, because I've been there. But your argument now is moving to if's and but's and that won't hold water. Good luck tomorrow night Cards.

Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it. I think the 10% hurt the Cards, but it was the 90% that killed them.
If someone was sticking it in your butt 10% of the time, how would you react to it 90% of the time?
:no: Ok - I watched it, several times in fact. He was out.
It was very close and, to be fair, it was a bang-bang play and the ump doesn't have the benefit of instant replay. Still, given how the game had been called, I would have died of shock if he had been called safe.

F### Minute Maid Park.
Yeah, it's the ball park's fault that Al Pujols got thrown out at home. It's the ball park's fault that the Cards got 5 hits all day. It's the ball park's fault that Mabry hit into a game ending double play. It's the ball park's fault, you are right.
I'm not blaming the park entirely for this game. I'm making a general comment that it sucks.As for this particular game, I don't know. I'm not a color analyst. Go ask Tim McCarver.

I'm not blaming the park entirely for this game. I'm making a general comment that it sucks.
Have you ever been there? It's a pretty cool place to watch a game.As far as generalities like "Minute Maid Sucks", that's more than ok. A park should offer it's home team an advantage, and Minute Maid does, as does Fenway, Coors, Dodger Stadium, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread