What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official Baltimore Ravens Thread***** (3 Viewers)

:yawn:

Any other Ravens fans in cardiac at GBMC?
I think Harbaugh might be. I actually became a little worried for the guy today - he looked like he was dying out there. Needs to not take it quite so hard or he's going to implode. Though I heard he was pretty loose in the post-game press conference, so maybe he's more even-keeled than he appeared today.

Remember when this team was so boring that they were hard to watch? Well, they're still not very good but they're certainly not boring. Won 4 of their last 5, but all 4 were at home. Don't have much faith in what they'll do in the dome at Detroit next week.

Still, just need New England to beat Miami and the Ravens are still looking decent for the Wild Card. I continue to think this team could play with just about anyone in the AFC, except Denver, but could also lose to just about anyone in the AFC or NFC (like today).

The_Man said:
Uruk-Hai said:
:yawn:

Any other Ravens fans in cardiac at GBMC?
I think Harbaugh might be. I actually became a little worried for the guy today - he looked like he was dying out there. Needs to not take it quite so hard or he's going to implode. Though I heard he was pretty loose in the post-game press conference, so maybe he's more even-keeled than he appeared today.

Remember when this team was so boring that they were hard to watch? Well, they're still not very good but they're certainly not boring. Won 4 of their last 5, but all 4 were at home. Don't have much faith in what they'll do in the dome at Detroit next week.

Still, just need New England to beat Miami and the Ravens are still looking decent for the Wild Card. I continue to think this team could play with just about anyone in the AFC, except Denver, but could also lose to just about anyone in the AFC or NFC (like today).
Calvin Johnson's liable to have 400 yards next week.

Man, it was good to see Pitta back. He looked understandably rusty in the 1st half, but came up big in the 2nd. I think they can mix and match pretty well now in the passing game between Smith, Brown, Jones, Pitta, Dickson, and Rice.

And the run game actually looked competent at times :shock:

This Ravens team is pretty mediocre and is still no guarantee to make the playoffs. But I’m starting to enjoy watching them play. I’m not a big believer in “teams that just win,” and yet that’s what they were in last year’s playoffs when I felt like Ray’s retirement announcement gave them a determination not to lose. And I feel like the same thing is happening again as they exhibit a determination to make the playoffs no matter what.

Even when they were jerking around and then fell behind 12-7, I felt like they were going to win. In fact, it almost seems like the offense didn’t start playing with ANY intensity until they were about to lose the game in the fourth quarter. And suddenly they came alive. I still thought they would win after the Gerhart TD. I have to admit, my confidence disappeared after the Patterson score.

So, they have the champion’s determination, and they’re also starting to get the calls that come from being a perennial contender. It just happens – see the end of the Patriots game for another example. The Ravens got the benefit of the doubt on just about every call.

And they have a Super Bowl MVP QB. That first INT was bad – it was Joe’s first throw into the snow and when he lofted it, it died and fell back to the LB. But yesterday was the most I’ve ever seen him look like Big Ben. That long scramble on the first TD drive was awesome. And he’s finally starting to develop some pocket awareness; instead of holding holding holding the ball until he’s hit, he’s begun to move, but still keep his eyes downfield and connect. Plenty of examples yesterday, but one that comes to mind is the pass to Pitta that got them inside the 10 on the final drive.

On a side note, Joe now has 61 regular season wins, placing him #61 on the all-time wins list alongside Billy Kilmer and Norm Van Brocklin, one win behind Joe Namath. If he continues to win games at his current pace for the next 2 seasons, he’s going to be one of the 35 winningest QBs in NFL history by the time he’s 30. This has clearly not been his best season, and yet I think he’s still improving and has his best football still in front of him. That game-winning throw is not a pass he could have made 2 or 3 years ago.

Other thoughts: Jacboy Jones is an absolute weapon in the kick return game right now. He reminds me of Jermaine Lewis during the 2000 Super Bowl run, when you expected every punt return to go for at least 20 yards and you felt like he had a real chance to break one for a TD in just about every game.

What’s the deal with Jason Elam? He kind of sucks so far. But Jimmy Smith continues to dominate and Webb is rounding back into form with every game. I would be tempted to put Smith on Megatron everywhere he goes, though I know that’s not the Ravens style. But I expect Detroit and future opponents to be playing pin the tail on Corey Graham and throw at him every play. Why wouldn’t you, when you have Smith on one side and Webb locking down the slot WR?

Impossible to overstate Pitta’s importance to this team. With him there, even Ed Dickson can make plays, since the coverage isn’t geared toward him. Marlon Brown could be legit. They are going to have to be good vs. Detroit, because the Lions’ D Line is going to manhandle our O Line. Flacco is going to have to throw 50 times, and we know how well those kinds of games usually work out for the Ravens. Oher is terrible and has played his way out of Baltimore. Harbaugh just looked confounded on the holding call that went against him.

What happened to the Ravens’ pass rush? I know yesterday was a really hard day to rush the QB, but they didn’t get very close to Ben last week either. I hope Suggs can get it going. And Daryl Smith continues to amaze me. Unfortunately, he’s on a 1-year deal. Ozzie, can we do an extension right now?

Pitta helps a lot, but I think the difference between making and missing the playoffs is going to be not having Boldin.

I knew the Ravens' running game was bad, but hadn't realized it was historically awful. Below is the list of Football Outsiders' worst run offenses going as far back as they have date - 1990 or so, I think.

91 Colts: 1-15
13 Ravens: 7-6
05 Cards: 5-11
13 Jaguars: 4-9
02 Texans: 4-12
91 Eagles: 10-6 (best Defensive DVOA in Football Outsiders' history)

Not sure how this team is winning, but they sure do play a lot of close games. Every other team to run so poorly has been awful, with the exception of one of the great defensive teams in NFL history. And the Ravens' running stats are unlikely to improve this week vs. Detroit's outstanding D line.

It makes me wonder if maybe Flacco is having a better season than it appears. He has a historically bad run game, a poor O line, and average (at best) WRs. But he is keeping his team afloat in all these close games. Needs to cut down on the turnovers, though. The D is playing well, and the special teams are beginning to dominate. Just don't give away the ball, and the Ravens will be in the kind of ugly, meat grinder game they prefer every week.

Has this been a crazy season?

Four of last year's playoff teams (Minny, Washington, Atlanta, Houston) are vying for the 1st pick in the draft next April - ahead of the team (Jax) that everyone said in September wouldn't beat Alabama, much less win a NFL game this year. The Jets - who I thought would give the Jags a run for their 0-16 money are flirting with .500 even though some games they look like the worst team in history. Four other perennials - Steelers, Ravens, Giants, and Packers (granted, they lost their two best players) - have struggled mightily. Both Miami & Tampa, who looked ready to implode due to locker room issues, have been competitive. Carolina, Arizona, and KC have all been pleasant surprises.

Great news! Patriots-Ravens flexed out of Sunday Night, in favor of Bears-Eagles. Baltimore homers are already irate about "the lack of respect." I'm only disappointed they moved it until 4:25 and not 1 p.m.

I have tickets to this game - might take one of my kids now that we're not going to be sitting out there until almost midnight on a late December evening.

Now is there any way to get Monday's upcoming game at Detroit moved to Sunday as well?

Great news! Patriots-Ravens flexed out of Sunday Night, in favor of Bears-Eagles. Baltimore homers are already irate about "the lack of respect." I'm only disappointed they moved it until 4:25 and not 1 p.m.

I have tickets to this game - might take one of my kids now that we're not going to be sitting out there until almost midnight on a late December evening.

Now is there any way to get Monday's upcoming game at Detroit moved to Sunday as well?
Good deal, my friend. I can't even watch the night games when I have to work the next day anymore. Although, I'm not sure why NBC would flex AWAY from the Pats for that game.

I’m starting to go over all the playoff scenarios, and I’m starting to arrive at the following conclusions:

We want Denver to beat San Diego tonight. If the Chargers win, they sneak back into contention for the #6, especially if Week 17 is meaningless for KC (which it probably will be) and they rest everyone vs. SD that week. While the Ravens win 2-way ties with Miami and San Diego, the Chargers could win a 3-way tie at 8-8 and the Dolphins a 3-way tie at 9-7, based on conference record.

Far more important, and obvious, we want the Dolphins to lose. Ravens own the head-to-head tiebreaker, but the Dolphins have a much easier schedule (NE, @Buff, NYJ) than Baltimore after this week.

I think 2-1 is a best-case scenario for Baltimore (@DET, NE, @CIN), but a fairly likely one for Miami. If Miami beats New England, the Ravens are in a lot of trouble, because the Dolphins will then be in good shape to go 3-0 and finish 10-6. Likewise, if the Ravens lose their next 2, they are in big trouble – they have to split to keep pace with Miami, who seems likely to finish 9-7.

We also really, really want Cincy (@ Pit, MIN, BAL) to lose this week. If Cincy goes 1-1, and the Ravens go 2-0, then the Week 17 game is for the AFC North title. But even if the Ravens just go 1-1, and the Bengals clinch the division after Week 16, we still want them to lose at least once because …

If Cincy goes 2-0, and the Patriots go 1-1 (@MIA, BAL) then the Bengals are playing in Week 17 for the #2 seed, a bye, and a home divisional round game.

Bottom line, even if Cincy goes 2-0 and clinches the AFC North, they are still likely to be playing their brains out vs. Baltimore in Week 17. But if they go 1-1, there’s a good chance they will be willing to pack it in early in Week 17 and rest up for a Wild Card rematch vs. the Ravens the next week.

I kind of wish I hadn’t gotten so deep into these numbers. Until I started looking at them, I thought the Ravens were in pretty good shape for a Wild Card. Now, I honestly believe they’re going to go 1-2 and the Dolphins will go 2-1 to take the final spot. I think the one thing that might save the Ravens is Miami also going 1-2 by getting upset at Buffalo in Week 16.

On the other hand, I didn’t realize the Ravens had any shot at still winning the AFC North. That would be amazing – because then their first two playoff rounds change from @Cincy, @Denver to home vs. Cincy, @NE (if you think KC wins at Indy in the Wild Card game, which I strongly believe will happen).

Good job, Matt Elam. Tell the media Calvin Johnson is old and doesn't want to get physical anymore - two weeks after he destroyed several GB players by either running over them or shrugging them off like wingless gnats.

Now he'll bench press 700 lbs and get his speed down to a 4.1 40. He seems a level-headed dude, so I doubt he's gonna get all worked up like some of the more diva-like WRs. Oh, and he probably doesn't even know who you are Matt. And, as he pointed out, you're not the guy who's gonna be covering him. I'm sure Smith, Webb, and Graham are loving you right now. Plus you haven't been all that so far anyway.

God, Stafford's going to target Johnson 25 times Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Elam now has 3 memorable moments from an otherwise forgettable rookie season:

1. Getting totally crushed by Gerhart and failing to tackle him on his long TD run

2. Getting spun around and then falling in the snow without coming close to laying a finger on Patterson during his long TD reception

3. Badmouthing Megatron before the Ravens go to Detroit for a must-win game

Still better than Ed Reed last year, though...

Denver did the Ravens no favors in gagging to San Diego last night. Chargers have a good shot at winning out to finish 9-7; it's still pretty likely KC will have nothing to play for when they face SD in Week 17. Interestingly, if the Ravens are going to finish 2-1, this game vs. Detroit is the one to lose. If they pick up two more AFC wins to finish the season, they still win pretty much every tie-breaker at 9-7 with San Diego and Miami. But if they win vs. Detroit, and then lose one of their remaining AFC games to finish 9-7, they would lose a 2-way tie with SD, and a 3-way with SD and Miami (based on Conference record).

I'm feeling more and more like the Ravens are going to miss the playoffs. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Miami beats New England this week and takes a giant step toward a playoff spot.

I'm leaning your way, T_M, but I just read that the Ravens now control their own destiny to winning the division :shock:

I have zero feel for how tonight's game may go. There is not one possible final score that would shock me.

Pittsburgh did us a huge favor, but New England hosed us bad. If Ravens go 3-0, they're the AFC North champs and probably the #3 seed (because I think Indy loses to KC this week). That would be huge - host the #6 seed, then probably play at NE, and avoid Denver until the AFC Championship.

And while I feel pretty good about the NE and Cincy games (Ben showed Dalton again last night what it looks like to be a QB who wins AFC North games in December), I feel real bad about tonight.

Terrible match-up of our small, slow, weak interior O Line vs. the Lions' big, fast and strong D Line. Running game will be even more non-existent than it's been all season, meaning we've got Joe passing 50 times. We know how those games usually turn out. I expect at least 2 INTs from this year's version of pick-prone Flacco, plus another fumble on a sack. Meanwhile, our pass rush is going backwards and DET has allowed an NFL-low 15 sacks. Stafford will hit some big plays.

Not to mention this team is 1-5 on the road this year. I'm thinking 34-23, and it won't be as close as the final score indicates - maybe the Ravens put up a late score to narrow the margin.

Hope I'm wrong!

I work with a Lions fan and he's scared to death of this game. It appears to be more than a general "woe unto our team" type of thing. His take is that, if Flacco can get a smidge of time, the Lions' DBs are toast.

What's the O/U are Suh & Oher PFs? I'm setting it at 3.

I work with a Lions fan and he's scared to death of this game. It appears to be more than a general "woe unto our team" type of thing. His take is that, if Flacco can get a smidge of time, the Lions' DBs are toast.

What's the O/U are Suh & Oher PFs? I'm setting it at 3.
Hadn't thought about PFs, but I have put the O/U for Oher false starts at 3. I initially thought about setting it at 2.5, but realized everyone would pound the over.

:lol:

3 is still tough, though I have to go the over.

On the PFs, I see Oher and Suh getting at least one together. Oher & Fairly are probably good for another. Then, Oher being Oher, there's gotta be another out there somewhere. Suh will get one all by himself when he & Leach cause a nuclear explosion on impact. I'm going over.

Dumervil gonna play? Their only real hope is to crush Stafford and get some turnovers. Helping would be to keep Flacco clean, but Joe can't come out of the tunnel in a coma like he too often does. The Lions will burn Baltimore to death if given the chance.

What frustrates me is that everything sets up so well for the Ravens after tonight. I think they are about to get on a roll and start playing their best football of the season, with New England and Cincy definitely in decline from earlier and Denver looking vulnerable. But this particular match-up seems really awful to me. I think much of the nation will be shocked tonight by how terrible the Ravens' interior O line is. Maybe the special teams can help pull another rabbit out of the hat.

One thing I really like about the Ravens is how much better they get as the season goes along. I think their coaching staff is excellent in maximizing players' performance.

That's why all those crappy losses earlier, like Buffalo and Chicago, hurt so much now.

I agree about Flacco. I don't understand why the offense's tempo, intensity and efficiency fluctuates so much. After they scored early vs. the Vikings, they sleepwalked through the next 3 quarters and then finally woke up once they fell behind. I'd like to see some intensity for 4 quarters. Though I guess the running game is a big driver of that, and since they have no running game, it's easy to fall out of tempo after a couple of incomplete passes (interspersed with O Line penalties).

Gonna be a long 8 hours until kickoff...

I'm not gonna make it til game time - laid up with some kind of damned flu.

I was a little impressed that some sort of a NFL-type running game showed itself last week. Talking to my coworker, who said that the Lions CAN be run on but you need to do it with misdirection. Those ####ers up front are nasty as hell, but tend to bull their way straight upfield on every play. Ray Rice is the kind of RB who can do that.

Anyway, we'll see. No doubt the Ravens' first play will be Flacco throwing the ball clear to East Lansing, then Rice loses 2 by running straight up Yanda's butt, then Dickson dropping the ball right on the 1st down line.

Oh, and a PF on Oher mixed in there somewhere.

:lol:

I love how clear-eyed our Ravens crowd is here. Although some might suggest the support we usually muster up for Flacco qualifies as homerism, I think that we're also pretty objective when it comes to him as well.

On a different topic, one of my favorite things to do while watching NFL Sunday Ticket is keep an eye out for Ed Reed, Kruger, and Ellerbe. Ellerbe was the main culprit yesterday, messing up the zone D to allow New England to score the late go-ahead TD. But I guess it all worked out for them. Kruger had 2 sacks last week, after being blanked the previous 4 games, and now has 4.5 on the season. He was terrible yesterday - no sacks, no tackles.

Kruger got a $6 million signing bonus this year as well as a $6.285 million roster bonus with guaranteed base salaries of $715,000 and $7 million in 2013 and 2014. He has a total of $20 million in guaranteed money. He's owed a $7 million base salary in 2015, $6.5 million base salary in 2016 and $7 million in 2016.

So Ray Lewis did as well as Kruger yesterday?

Seriously, I'm glad the dude got paid. Same with Ellerbe and Reed. Those guys were all great Ravens and a big part of winning a ring last season (Reed, of course, is an immortal).

The Ratbirds' last visit to Detroit, in 2005, was the scene of the great 21-penalty meltdown game. Suggs got thrown out and referee Mike Carey sounded close to tears when announcing yet another penalty on Baltimore. Funny game.

AHHHHH!!!!

I CAN'T TAKE ANOTHER GAME LIKE THIS.

On the bright side, I love the way Flacco is playing. So much more pocket awareness than ever before. Loved that ball he threw into the third row instead of forcing an INT in the end zone.

I WOULD ENJOY SEEING A RAVENS TOUCHDOWN TONIGHT.

Damn these games are tough. I still don't have a lot of confidence in this team mainly due to the porous o-line. I don't think there's a McKinnie-type switch waiting to right the ship this year. The center gets brutalized every game and the rest of the line is less than average.

That said, these guys do have a strong character and will to win. Joe's been beat up all year and he still stands in and delivers the ball, so kudos to him. Plus, Jacoby seems to be catching the ball much better this year.

Will the run continue? It's up to the D IMHO.

Mixed feelings.
What's on your mind, roadie?

Look, I know they're not very good yet and might not get good this season. But I feel like they're improving - defense is playing very well, interior O line starting to get a clue, and Pitta makes a big difference - and I want to see if they can actually get good if/when they make it to the playoffs.

They've only scored 5 TDs in their last 4 games -- and 3 of those were in the final 2 minutes vs. Minnesota. But they've won all 4.

I really like the way things are starting to set up for them. A chance for a home playoff game and to avoid Denver until the AFC Championship? I'll take it - especially because I think KC going to Denver (after beating Indy in the first round) has the best chance of anyone in the AFC of beating the Broncos.

I hate long field goals. There's already enough scoring in football that defenses should be safe if they've gotten a stop at midfield. It's another flaw in a sport increasingly full of them.

I like their mental toughness. I continue to thank the Stillers for all those close games in Flacco's first few years; he never gets rattled by them because it's about all he's ever known.

I would like to see them repeatedly knock Tom Brady down this week. Oh, and also give those toy receivers the Welker treatment until they don't want to catch the ball over the middle any more. It's on at a time when I can watch it, right?

4:25 kickoff, GB. I believe they actually flexed it OUT of the night game due to limits on how many more games can be flexed from one network than another. Had the game stayed on SNF, NBC would be forced to take a Fox game in week 17 and probably wanted to keep their options open.

It continues to amaze me how the Ravens can bring even the most artful of teams down into these ugly scrums.

M & T is not going to be for the faint of heart Sunday. Maybe that'll be true of the game, but I'm talking about the crowd- 4:30 game on a long holiday weekend means Donnie from Dundalk is going to be in especially fine form, hon.

4:25 kickoff, GB. I believe they actually flexed it OUT of the night game due to limits on how many more games can be flexed from one network than another. Had the game stayed on SNF, NBC would be forced to take a Fox game in week 17 and probably wanted to keep their options open.

It continues to amaze me how the Ravens can bring even the most artful of teams down into these ugly scrums.

M & T is not going to be for the faint of heart Sunday. Maybe that'll be true of the game, but I'm talking about the crowd- 4:30 game on a long holiday weekend means Donnie from Dundalk is going to be in especially fine form, hon.
I'm going - my only game this year. So happy they moved it to 4:25, only wish they had moved it to 1. I used to have PSLs up in the upper deck where my rowmates were - no joke - a bunch of guys from Dundalk and Essex. I finally sold the PSLs when it became clear I wasn't going to be able to bring my kids to a game for at least 5-10 more years, thanks to the antics of those guys. That being said, I sure had some good kid-free times up there.

Sitting down with the wine-and-cheesers on Sunday. They're saying temps could be in the 60s - I'm good with that.

Unfortunately, my helplessly busted Ravens Result Predictor is pointing toward a big Ravens win. This is the same Predictor that misses on just about every game, and had the Lions winning 34-23 last week. So it's probably not a good thing that I'm really optimistic about the Ravens in this one.

SAY "HI" TO DONNIE FROM DUM-DALK FOR ME!
And say hi to butchie while you're at it.

Heading into Monday night I felt more confident about the Ravens chances against the Pats and Bengals than I did about going against the Lions. Now with Detroit out of the way I like the matchup this Sunday so I remain hopeful. With no Wilfolk clogging the middle the Ravens may produce a decent run game and with Pitta back I beleive the offense will be able to move the ball effeciently at the least. The Ravens have to score touchdowns when the get to redzone, however. If they keep getting blocked out of the endzone against the Pats I'm not as confident that Brady will screw the pooch late the way Stafford did.

I like the Ravens defense this week. As was mentioned, if Suggs comes back to life and if Ngata plays tough in the middle the way he did against the Lions then I see no reason why they can't get pressure on Brady and if they do that then it's ball game!

Even my usual pessimistic self is looking forward to this one.

Yeah, a TD or two instead of FGs is probably good idea against the Pats. Brady with the ball in his hands and a chance to win is not a scene I wish to contemplate. Hell, he'd have won that game last week but for some divine intervention.

Read Flacco was wearing a brace at practice yesterday. Precaution, the Ravens sandbagging, or is it more serious than they've let on?

So, while we're waiting for Sunday who do you guys think doesn't come back next season?

Yeah, a TD or two instead of FGs is probably good idea against the Pats. Brady with the ball in his hands and a chance to win is not a scene I wish to contemplate. Hell, he'd have won that game last week but for some divine intervention.

Read Flacco was wearing a brace at practice yesterday. Precaution, the Ravens sandbagging, or is it more serious than they've let on?

So, while we're waiting for Sunday who do you guys think doesn't come back next season?
Lots of Unrestricted Free Agents next year. It's going to be tough. Here's how I break them down:

Ravens won't be able to keep

Art Jones - Playing so well, and just getting better every game. Will hurt to lose him, way more than Kruger (LOL) or Ellerbe, but he's going to get paid by somebody way more than the Ravens can afford.

Ravens will try to keep but might lose

Eugene Monroe - has done a great job, but will be tough to fit under the cap. They need to do whatever it takes, because otherwise they have no returning Tackles (see Oher below).

Dennis Pitta - he's due to get some money, but maybe his hip injury will be enough of a blessing to keep the price down. Hopefully his relationship with Flacco will help, too. But if one team significantly overpays, there's no way Baltimore matches, and he's gone.

Daryl Smith - really wishing they had given him more than one year, coming out of obscurity in Jax and off an injury. He is playing way better than Ray played in the last 2 or 3 years. Especially if the Ravens go deep in the playoffs, he might be overpaid by someone and it will be up to McClain and Arthur Brown to really step up.

Jacoby Jones - He's been great, but is another guy who might end up overpaid. They have so many young WRs (Marlon Brown, Deonte Thompson, Aaron Mellette), I think they try to use them to do what Jacoby does and they have to let him go.

James Ihedigbo - Case of right player, right price. He's performed well, and they would like to keep him. But if someone wants to give him too much money, Ozzie will find someone comparable to plug in, just like when they got Jim Leonhard to replace Landry, just like they got Pollard to replace Leonhard, just like they got Ihedigbo to replace Pollard. One thing this team knows how to evaluate is a Safety.

Corey Graham - Guy has done a nice job, but came here on the cheap as a Special Teams guy before showing he could play at CB. So now someone else will pay him like a CB, and be disappointed that he turns out to not be that great.

My guess is they lose the last 4 guys in this group, but keep Monroe and Pitta.

Buh-Bye

Michael Oher

Ed Dickson

Terrence Cody

Tandon Doss

I'm getting a vibe off this weekend's game like last year's Week 16 game vs. the Giants.

The Ravens were playing o.k., a little better than their 3-game losing streak suggested - a pair of tough 3-point losses to Pittsburgh and Washington, before getting pounded by Denver - playing at home in a game vital to their playoff chances. The Giants were 8-6, having split their previous 4 games, and were coming to Baltimore on the heels of a tough road loss.

This year the Ravens are playing o.k., a little worse than their 4-game winning streak suggests, with 3 straight less second wins that could easily have been losses, now playing at home in a game vital to their playoff chances. The Patriots are 10-4, having won 3 of their last 5, and are coming to Baltimore on the heels of a tough road loss.

Last year, the Ravens absolutely manhandled the Giants, racking up 500 yards of offense, including more than 200 on the ground. They won't run for that kind of yardage this year, but I think they are capable of having a realistic run game for only the second time all season (Chicago was the other). It's the year's last game at home, where the Ravens are so tough, and it's do-or-die.

Meanwhile, the Patriots know there's a safety net for them to lose this game and still clinch the division with a home win next week. They won't roll over, but they also might not be able to match the Ravens' intensity.

Week 16 was absolutely the game last year that kick-started Baltimore's post-season roll. If they have it in them again, I think this is the game where they make a statement, put a hurting on the Patriots, and get ready for the post-season.

Art Jones is an interesting case. With Brandon Williams in the wings, can/will the Ravens cut Ngata and if so what is the cap hit? Does that make room for Jones or Monroe or does that make matters worse? At this stage I like Jones more than Ngata on the field and if the team can keep only one Jones makes more sense. Let me add that much like Ray, Reed, Boldin, Stover, Mason, etc. I will miss Ngata if he goes and he has given us fans plenty to cheer about but as Newsome has shown in the past, better a year too soon than a year too late.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting a vibe off this weekend's game like last year's Week 16 game vs. the Giants.

The Ravens were playing o.k., a little better than their 3-game losing streak suggested - a pair of tough 3-point losses to Pittsburgh and Washington, before getting pounded by Denver - playing at home in a game vital to their playoff chances. The Giants were 8-6, having split their previous 4 games, and were coming to Baltimore on the heels of a tough road loss.

This year the Ravens are playing o.k., a little worse than their 4-game winning streak suggests, with 3 straight less second wins that could easily have been losses, now playing at home in a game vital to their playoff chances. The Patriots are 10-4, having won 3 of their last 5, and are coming to Baltimore on the heels of a tough road loss.

Last year, the Ravens absolutely manhandled the Giants, racking up 500 yards of offense, including more than 200 on the ground. They won't run for that kind of yardage this year, but I think they are capable of having a realistic run game for only the second time all season (Chicago was the other). It's the year's last game at home, where the Ravens are so tough, and it's do-or-die.

Meanwhile, the Patriots know there's a safety net for them to lose this game and still clinch the division with a home win next week. They won't roll over, but they also might not be able to match the Ravens' intensity.

Week 16 was absolutely the game last year that kick-started Baltimore's post-season roll. If they have it in them again, I think this is the game where they make a statement, put a hurting on the Patriots, and get ready for the post-season.
I like this. I'm jumping on the bandwagon hard this week. Make it so, The_Man!

plus, I'll be absolutely miserable if we lose to the sith lord and his evil empire :yucky:

Art Jones is an interesting case. With Brandon Williams in the wings, can/will the Ravens cut Ngata and if so what is the cap hit? Does that make room for Jones or Monroe or does that make matters worse? At this stage I like Jones more than Ngata on the field and if the team can keep only one Jones makes more sense. Let me add that much like Ray, Reed, Boldin, Stover, Mason, etc. I will miss Ngata if he goes and he has given us fans plenty to cheer about but as Newsome has shown in the past, better a year to soon than a year to late.
Ngata is safe for 2014. His cap number is, eek, $16 million. But if they cut him, they only save $1M and eat $15 million in dead money. In 2015, his cap number is again scheduled to be $16M, but they could save $8.5M by cutting him and eating $7.5M in dead money.

Suggs is the guy who might be let go this year if he won't rework his deal. He'll be in the last year of his contract next year, so the portion of his last bonus still to be prorated vs. the cap is $4.6M whether they keep him or not. His salary for next year is $7.8 M, so they would save that entire $7.8M vs. the cap if they cut him.

I think someone is going to make Jones an offer he can't refuse - making him one of the very few guys we really wanted to keep who gets away. People will point the finger at Flacco, but his cap hit next year is only $14.8 M. It's the Ngata deal that's really going to weigh them down next year. BTW, Flacco's cap number this year is $6.8M, 4th on the team behind Suggs, Ngata and Yanda.

As brutal as losing the 2011 AFC Championship was, the Ravens have provided so many incredible moments since then. I came up with a list of the 10 most amazing moments over the last 2 seasons. Can't wait for this Sunday - I hope they keep it going.

1. The Flacco to Jacoby 70-yarder, followed by the Peyton INT in OT, followed by the 47-yard FG by Tucker

2. The goal line stand in the closing seconds of the Super Bowl

3. 3 TDs in last 2:05 of the Vikings game, culminating in Marlon Brown's TD grab with :04 remaining

4. Pats game last year when Torrey Smith scored 2 TDs the day after his brother's death and Tucker kicks the game-winning FG

5. 4th-and-29

6. Tucker's 61-yarder

7. Winning the AFC Championship game at New England

8. Stopping Pittsburgh's 2-point try to win on Thanksgiving Night

9. Dallas last year missing the game-winning FG on the final play

10. Tucker's kicks 44-yard game-winning FG at Miami with 1:24, and Miami's game-ending 57-yard FG comes up short

When they were 3-5, the Ravens seemed like the unluckiest team in the NFL (they were winning at half in Denver before Peyton annihilated them down the stretch). Now, they seem like the luckiest. These things tend to even out, but not in proportionate ways.

Not even sure what I'm trying to say here. I'm usually wrong, but I don't think 4 FGs is going to beat the Pats - that the usual scrum may need some elegance, too.

Happy Game Day, my 3 or 4 fellow Ravens fans!

I'm worried about Flacco. I'm starting to think he's hurt worse than the Ravens have let on, and that they're not sandbagging as I thought earlier. I heard him on ESPN radio, I think, on Thursday and he was almost - for Joe - surly when they asked him about his knee. Run game better show up.

I DO think the defense will show up, especially if Dumervil can play. Just need a little pressure up the middle (hi, Ngata!).

Hey, GB.

I'm with you on Flacco. I wonder if he takes a needle, because otherwise I think he's going to be affected. I do feel like the run game showed signs of life last week, but Flacco still needs to carry the team. The guy has been so indestructible, it was a shock to see him hurt.

I still like the match-ups for the Ravens in this game. Webb will play Edelman to a draw, covering him in the slot. Smith can shut down Amendola. Graham is going to have a flashing target on him, with whoever he's covering becoming Brady's preferred target. It sounds counter-intuitive, but I think stopping the Pats' run game is going to be a bigger challenge for Baltimore today. Solder being out for them really hurts.

I'll say Ravens 23-16.

An interesting side story is that if the Pats lose today and Miami and Cincy both win (as expected) then all these teams - plus the Patriots - are playing for their lives next week. If the Ravens and Dolphins win out, and the Patriots were to lose vs. Buffalo next week, then the Ravens would be the #3 or even #2 (if the Colts lose to KC today), Miami would win the East, Cincy would be the #6, and New England would be out, based on their head-to-head loss to Cincy.

Of course, the Pats would be a big favorite to beat Buffalo at home next week, and that would still give them the #2. But it's amazing they could go from #2 to out, based on just one game.

One aspect to Flacco that the national folks often miss is what a tough sob he is. Ive seen him step into tons of throws only to be leveled a second later. I'm not worried about him this game. He'll do what he needs to do. I also think 23 - 16 feels about right.

Win or lose today, I kinda like this team and the way it battles every week. It occurred to me that Joe has spent his whole career gunslinging against Manning, Brady and Roethlisberger in big games. He won't be overwhelmed by the importance of this particular contest.

Hola, JD, T_M, and roadie!

Uruk's Five Ravens to-step-up-for-a-win:

Sam Koch, Chris Canty, Ray Rice, Julio Jones, Lardarius Webb

Have fun at the game, T_M

Hola, JD, T_M, and roadie!

Uruk's Five Ravens to-step-up-for-a-win:

Sam Koch, Chris Canty, Ray Rice, Julio Jones, Lardarius Webb

Have fun at the game, T_M
Thanks, UH. Heading down to Federal Hill to pre-game very soon.

I like your idea for a top 5. I'll say:

Suggs, Rice, Pitta, Ngata, Webb.

What do you guys think of the Ravens Defense and special teams today (in terms of sacks, turnovers and TD's)? I heard Mankins isn't playing, and the Pats are also without Tompkins and Dobson. Do you think they can get to Brady today?

Last edited:
What do you guys think of the Ravens Defense and special teams today (in terms of sacks, turnovers and TD's)? I heard Mankins isn't playing, and the Pats are also without Tompkins and Dobson. Do you think they can get to Brady today?
I think the D is going to bring the hammer. STs is hard to say. I doubt Belichek is dumb enough to kick to Jones.

Users who are viewing this thread