What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official Baltimore Ravens Thread***** (5 Viewers)

:lol: What the hell was THAT?

How can the Ravens be a no-show in the biggest game of their season? At home, no less.

That was a statement game.

The statement was that the Ravens kind of stink this year and have no business in the playoffs.

Did you stay til the end?

I muted the TV & put music on, started doing chores.

I don't recall as poor a home performance under Harbaugh.

We left after the Patriots converted a third down on the drive that made it 27-7. I think maybe they scored before we were even out of the stadium.

Met some friends in Federal Hill in time to see the last of the 2 defensive TDs.

Twice, it looked like there were calls vs. the Ravens (one was a false start on Oher) that were overturned once the refs saw them on the replay screen. It was unbelievable. Bellichick must have been losing his mind - they got the calls right, but I've never seen calls changed like that before.

Crowd got a little salty - I'm sure the "B.S." cheer came through loud and clear on TV.

I hope they win next week, just to keep the streak of winning seasons going, but I don't think they're playoff-bound (or deserving). That offensive line is a joke, starting with the Center. He does not belong in the NFL.

Here's my official prediction for the season.

Vs. AFC North: 4-2

They might end up sweeping the Steelers and splitting with the Browns; however it goes down, I still think the Ravens do better than .500 in the division. The first time Cundiff comes in the game for Cleveland during the Week 2 home opener, it's going to be a scene.

Vs. AFC East: 3-1

I can see them handling the Pats at home on a December Sunday night. But maybe Miami surprises them on a hot Florida October afternoon, when the Ravens are on the back half of a two-game road trip. They should take care of the Bills and Jets.

Vs. NFC North: 2-2

They're bad in domes, so the MNF game at Detroit could be tough. And I think GB is a very tough match-up for them. NFC North looks tough to me this year - I'd be pretty happy if they split vs. the division.

Vs. Houston and Denver: 1-1

Two tough games, I'll guess the Ravens split them.

10-6. Probably good enough for a playoff spot, maybe even the division title. And then once they get in the playoffs, maybe with Pitta back, they'll once again be the team nobody wants to play as they go for their 6th straight year with a post-season win. If they make the playoffs, I like their chances as much as anybody's.
Eh, not bad. The AFC East tripped us up more than I thought. And I think the Ravens get whipped today, 31-16. Of course I also hated them in Detroit and loved them vs. the Pats, so maybe my pessimism is a good sign.

But I just think this O Line is too dreadful for words. NFL Network's "AFC Playbook" had a segment on the line and Baldinger just killed him. On one Pierce run to the left last week, Monroe got a good block on his man, Gradkowski pulled and there was a really big alley between Guard and Center. Unfortunately, instead of sealing the alley, Shipley stepped forward and completely whiffed on his block on the ILB and the pulling Gradkowski turned to his right to make his block and just fell down. Sterling Sharpe literally laughed out loud as Gino sprawled on the ground and Pierce saw his hole filled with two Pats for a no-gainer.

The next play, there was an overload from the Pats' left, so the Ravens shifted their line right. Gino and Yanda both made their blocks, but for some reason Oher completely ignored the blitzer coming from his outside and double-teamed Yanda's man whle the blitzer came in and sacked Flacco. Baldinger said something to the effect that this is first week of training camp stuff and the Ravens are still messing it up in Week 16. Oher is so gone.

The Bengals do a good job of freeing up unblocked blitzers vs. real O Lines, so I think they will tee off on Flacco. My only hope is that the Ravens do a great job of making Dalton look bad and maybe they continue that. Also, if the Pats/Colts get up big early, and Marvin benches guys to rest them and to prep things for a Wild Card rematch vs. the Ravens.

All in all, I think the Ravens lose, the Chargers get in, and deserve to because they are playing really well and this year's Ravens are a very mediocre bunch. I guess the high point of the season was Tucker's 61-yarder.

The_Man said:
Here's my official prediction for the season.

Vs. AFC North: 4-2

They might end up sweeping the Steelers and splitting with the Browns; however it goes down, I still think the Ravens do better than .500 in the division. The first time Cundiff comes in the game for Cleveland during the Week 2 home opener, it's going to be a scene.

Vs. AFC East: 3-1

I can see them handling the Pats at home on a December Sunday night. But maybe Miami surprises them on a hot Florida October afternoon, when the Ravens are on the back half of a two-game road trip. They should take care of the Bills and Jets.

Vs. NFC North: 2-2

They're bad in domes, so the MNF game at Detroit could be tough. And I think GB is a very tough match-up for them. NFC North looks tough to me this year - I'd be pretty happy if they split vs. the division.

Vs. Houston and Denver: 1-1

Two tough games, I'll guess the Ravens split them.

10-6. Probably good enough for a playoff spot, maybe even the division title. And then once they get in the playoffs, maybe with Pitta back, they'll once again be the team nobody wants to play as they go for their 6th straight year with a post-season win. If they make the playoffs, I like their chances as much as anybody's.
Eh, not bad. The AFC East tripped us up more than I thought. And I think the Ravens get whipped today, 31-16. Of course I also hated them in Detroit and loved them vs. the Pats, so maybe my pessimism is a good sign.

But I just think this O Line is too dreadful for words. NFL Network's "AFC Playbook" had a segment on the line and Baldinger just killed him. On one Pierce run to the left last week, Monroe got a good block on his man, Gradkowski pulled and there was a really big alley between Guard and Center. Unfortunately, instead of sealing the alley, Shipley stepped forward and completely whiffed on his block on the ILB and the pulling Gradkowski turned to his right to make his block and just fell down. Sterling Sharpe literally laughed out loud as Gino sprawled on the ground and Pierce saw his hole filled with two Pats for a no-gainer.

The next play, there was an overload from the Pats' left, so the Ravens shifted their line right. Gino and Yanda both made their blocks, but for some reason Oher completely ignored the blitzer coming from his outside and double-teamed Yanda's man whle the blitzer came in and sacked Flacco. Baldinger said something to the effect that this is first week of training camp stuff and the Ravens are still messing it up in Week 16. Oher is so gone.

The Bengals do a good job of freeing up unblocked blitzers vs. real O Lines, so I think they will tee off on Flacco. My only hope is that the Ravens do a great job of making Dalton look bad and maybe they continue that. Also, if the Pats/Colts get up big early, and Marvin benches guys to rest them and to prep things for a Wild Card rematch vs. the Ravens.

All in all, I think the Ravens lose, the Chargers get in, and deserve to because they are playing really well and this year's Ravens are a very mediocre bunch. I guess the high point of the season was Tucker's 61-yarder.
Good call, T_M. That game typified the Ravens season.

I'm wondering, among other things, which coaches might not be back next season. I'm guessing the OL coach may go, but what about Caldwell? Honestly, the execution on the field was so bad that I didn't notice the play-calling being awful or not; I say this knowing full well that a portion of every fan base automatically thinks their team's play-calling sucks, so I'm wondering what level-headed folks think.

Who are the best RT, LG, & C in the NFL? Trade everything, including the Owings Mills complex, for them.

So, the Ravens will pick - what? 19/20? I'm no draft guru. What's the thinking with that pick? Are there any stud Centers?

I like that the defense gelled after so many changes, though it seems like they gave up too many 1st downs on 3rd and longs, and they could be gashed in the run game too often. Maybe it appears that way to me because I watched them a lot and they were actually good at those things?

Besides the OL, I'm not sure what to say about the offense. Pitta being out for most of the year hurt badly and Flacco getting hurt at the end didn't help. Rice never looked right to me, but Pierce didn't do anything either - lay most of that on the OL? Marlon Brown was a find.

There was a play yesterday where Pierce broke through the line for a nice gain but I noticed that the line NEVER MOVED - it wasn't like the pushed the Cincy front back 5 yards; everyone was still on the LOS. No push whatsoever all year. And Flacco - who bears some of the responsibility for this - is going to get killed if that line isn't fixed.

In that vein, the Ravens can NOT go into next season with Tyrod Taylor as their #2. IMO Joe shouldn't have been in that game in the 2nd half yesterday and, I believe if the Ravens had a capable back up, they may have gotten him out of there.

That game really summed up the season. Oh well.

Fixing the O line is truly the highest priority. I think most of the offensive woes - no running game, Flacco absorbing vicious hits, no time to connect deep - go to the line.

Ravens are picking #16 or 17, pending a coin flip with Dallas. That's too high for a Center - they might be able to get the #1 Center at that point in the second round. If Osemele is back, he is an outstanding Left Guard. My fear is that maybe they move him back out to Right Tackle, where he struggled, to replace Oher, who is gone. They must resign Monroe at LT.

Art Jones is gone. I think Suggs stays, though it might require a restructure. And Ngata has to stay until next year because of the huge cap hit they would take from cutting him this year. Maybe he will agree to a restructure, but I kind of doubt it. He has the leverage on the Ravens; the Ravens have the leverage on Suggs, which makes him the more likely candidate.

I'm sure lots of mock drafts will link the Ravens to a WR at #16. I think they are more likely to go with a DE/OLB type at that spot, just based on their history.

That game really summed up the season. Oh well.

Fixing the O line is truly the highest priority. I think most of the offensive woes - no running game, Flacco absorbing vicious hits, no time to connect deep - go to the line.

Ravens are picking #16 or 17, pending a coin flip with Dallas. That's too high for a Center - they might be able to get the #1 Center at that point in the second round. If Osemele is back, he is an outstanding Left Guard. My fear is that maybe they move him back out to Right Tackle, where he struggled, to replace Oher, who is gone. They must resign Monroe at LT.

Art Jones is gone. I think Suggs stays, though it might require a restructure. And Ngata has to stay until next year because of the huge cap hit they would take from cutting him this year. Maybe he will agree to a restructure, but I kind of doubt it. He has the leverage on the Ravens; the Ravens have the leverage on Suggs, which makes him the more likely candidate.

I'm sure lots of mock drafts will link the Ravens to a WR at #16. I think they are more likely to go with a DE/OLB type at that spot, just based on their history.
I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek on taking a C in the 1st. But it has been such a glaring weakness this year I was hoping a sure-fire HOFer was there ;)

Just looked at CBS' mock draft - they're project Mike Evans, WR, A&M. I've seen him several times - big, strong kid who appears to have good hands. Don't know about his speed.

Mike Evans should go boxing or MMA. He uses his hands way too much. He had some mind boggling stats in some seemingly tough matchups but he almost never got flagged even though he pushed off on almost every play. I can't see him panning out if he can't create separation without the pushoffs.

There is some likely elite G talent between the Stanford and UCLA kids, La'El Collins of LSU, few others. Agree that there should be plenty of Centers to choose from in the 2nd. Gotta resign Monroe, what a steal that ended up being.

I wasn't saying the Ravens should take Evans, just commenting on CBS' mock of him and what I saw in the games I watched. Although - I DO think a big, strong guy at WR would be a Godsend. I have no idea if trying to find that guy at #16 is the right way to go about it.

Anyone that's read my posts over the years will know I'd spend the entire draft on OL/DL if I were left to my own devices (and I'd be fired in 11 months).

Retitled thread.

#### it - let's keep this one going. It's not like a Ravens thread burns much bandwidth anyway.

So, how have last year's defections/losses done in their new homes?

I haven't followed very closely, but it appears Ellerbe isn't considered Miami's best signing ever at this point by Dolphin fans. He's the one that I said the Ravens had to keep after last season ended :bag:

So, how have last year's defections/losses done in their new homes?

I haven't followed very closely, but it appears Ellerbe isn't considered Miami's best signing ever at this point by Dolphin fans. He's the one that I said the Ravens had to keep after last season ended :bag:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-sports-blitz-grading-ravens-offseason-moves-20140106,0,7124019.story?track=rss

Pretty much agree with all of this. Boldin worked out more like a D or F, but you have to take into account what they did with that spot and the money saved and that they couldn't have forseen the Pitta injury obviously.

Parting ways with Ed Reed: B-. The Ravens chose to not re-sign Reed in free agency. He signed with the Houston Texans and was released in November. He actually played better for the New York Jets down the stretch, but was clearly past his prime. Still, the Ravens really could have used his leadership this season.

Letting Paul Kruger and Dannell Ellerbe walk: A. The Ravens knew they couldn’t get in the same financial stratosphere as the teams that were pursuing these two postseason heroes. Both players got big paydays, but Kruger had just 4.5 sacks in Cleveland and Ellerbe was average at best in his first year in Miami.

Trading Anquan Boldin: C. On the surface, this may look like a bad deal today. Boldin, who had 1,179 receiving yards this season, is currently playing in the playoffs for the San Francisco 49ers. The Ravens, who sorely missed his clutch plays and fiery leadership, are home watching him on television. But the money they saved by trading Boldin away allowed the Ravens to sign Elvis Dumervil and Chris Canty. If those guys hadn’t delivered, this deal would look a lot worse.

Cutting Bernard Pollard: B. Pollard was a good guy and a reporter’s dream, and the Ravens missed his physicality on the back end. But his replacement, James Ihedigbo, did just fine -- and did it for less money, too.

I still think Birk's retirement hurt more than any of the other 2012 postseason personnel losses.
You're right. The drop off from Birk to Gradkowski was horrifying. I don't recall thinking as much of it as some of the other losses last winter and boy was I wrong not to.

I also never considered the point on Boldin in lsu's post - that it allowed the Ravens to sign Elvis and Canty. Even if it wasn't a direct transaction, it lessens the blow some. Losing Boldin was not the worst thing that happened to the Ravens' offense - it's, at best, 3rd in line behind the awfulness of the OL and Pitta's injury.

How you guys liking virtually every mock having us take Evans in the first. I'm not sure I like the move, if we don't fix our running game by way of Oline additions I don't see how adding a rookie WR is going to fix anything.

I think theres a good chance we see something similar to the 2012 draft where we trade back and take OL and DE/LB. Boring but sound and reasonable. We only have 1,2,3 and 6 round picks due to the Monroe and Shipley trades. Even if we expect a few comp picks I could see us moving back to secure a few more. I love how this team drafts but once I would love for us to be a position to move up and grab a top 7 pick.

Just messing but one of these isn't like the others. . .

1) I think theres a good chance we see something similar to the 2012 draft where we trade back and take OL and DE/LB. Boring but sound and reasonable.

2) I love how this team drafts

3) I would love for us to be a position to move up and grab a top 7 pick.
I agree with you about starting OL and DE/LB. I trust the front office implicitly to NOT move up too much except when it makes sense for needs. I'm just so concerned if we're not able to ensure we're the highest bidder for Monroe, could lose both tackles with a big question mark at Center. Yikes. They want that rangy FS but I think they are better served going get someone in free agency. That Buffalo FS Byrd would be perfect but I'm sure he'll sign in Jax for 50 gazillion dollars.

Remember this time last year when the Ravens were about to be in the Super Bowl? And then they won it? And then all the crazy celebrations afterward?

Yeah, that was a lot more fun than this year.

But... looks like they're about to hire Kubiak as O Coordinator. I like this hire a lot. I always loved what the Texans did with their play action, both going deep to Andre Johnson and hitting the TE off the bootleg. If the Ravens can just get the run game going again, I feel like it all fits so well - with Torrey Smith taking the deep role and Pitta (if they keep him, which I think they will) in the Owen Daniels role.

Remember this time last year when the Ravens were about to be in the Super Bowl? And then they won it? And then all the crazy celebrations afterward?

Yeah, that was a lot more fun than this year.

But... looks like they're about to hire Kubiak as O Coordinator. I like this hire a lot. I always loved what the Texans did with their play action, both going deep to Andre Johnson and hitting the TE off the bootleg. If the Ravens can just get the run game going again, I feel like it all fits so well - with Torrey Smith taking the deep role and Pitta (if they keep him, which I think they will) in the Owen Daniels role.
Which begs the question of whether Kubiak will adjust the OL personnel/play to include more of zone blocking schemes?

Liked this quote from Harbaugh at the press conference: "You keep a list of the guys who give you the most trouble." Kubiak was one.

I like this even more as it looks like the Ravens get a two for one special. From the Baltimore Sun:

"Gary Kubiak, the former head coach of the Houston Texans, has been hired as the Ravens’ offensive coordinator. His offensive staff will include one of his former Texans’ assistants, Rick Dennison. Dennison, a former offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos and Texans, will coach the quarterbacks.

Long-time Ravens’ assistant Wade Harman has also been informed that he will not return after coaching tight ends for the past 15 seasons."

I ain't giddy quite yet but looking back at what these two were able to accomplish with Schaub and how much they enabled him to get out of his abilities I'm getting close. If the Ravens are able to draft a legit OL as I've seen in some mocks then giddy I shall be!

Bring on next year!!

Looking at the consistent production Kubiak was able to get out of his RBs over the year and how involved Foster was in the passing game this looks like an amazing hire.

He also ran a pretty TE heavy offense which should be great if we can keep Pitta around

Been an interesting month. Ray Rice deal this week. He's been a model citizen, don't think this is even a small bump in the road. Ozzie came out with that pretty direct line about specific needs, o-line, WR, rangy FS. We lost the coin flip with Dallas so they pick 1.16 and we are 1.17.

Oher, Clark, Cody, Jones, Ihedigbo, Jacoby sound gone to beyond gone. CB Graham and LB Smith should be back. They are saying all the right things about resigning Monroe but due to his talent/production and youth, gonna be hard to outbid everyone. Same thing about Pitta, but I think we'll see that get done.

This draft is deep at tackle (especially ROT/combo G types) and WR. Could see FS brought in out of free agency if the price is right.

Been an interesting month. Ray Rice deal this week. He's been a model citizen, don't think this is even a small bump in the road. Ozzie came out with that pretty direct line about specific needs, o-line, WR, rangy FS. We lost the coin flip with Dallas so they pick 1.16 and we are 1.17.

Oher, Clark, Cody, Jones, Ihedigbo, Jacoby sound gone to beyond gone. CB Graham and LB Smith should be back. They are saying all the right things about resigning Monroe but due to his talent/production and youth, gonna be hard to outbid everyone. Same thing about Pitta, but I think we'll see that get done.

This draft is deep at tackle (especially ROT/combo G types) and WR. Could see FS brought in out of free agency if the price is right.
Video of Ray Rice pulling unconscious fiance out of elevator surfaces from TMZ:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/19/report-surveillance-video-shows-ray-rice-dragging-fiancee-out-of-elevator/

Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said the team could be aggressive in free agency, which is similar to what general manager Ozzie Newsome said at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Will be interesting. I don't see a lot of needs that they can't address in the draft unless that "other" video of Ray Rice comes out and they can't come to an agreement with Monroe. So if we can't resign any of our free agents this week, looking needs of LOT, ROT, Possession WR, FS, ILB. Wants? C? KR?

Pitta resigning at cap friendly 5 year, $32 million deal is nice.

argh, wtf

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10578178/jah-reid-baltimore-ravens-arrested-battery-charges

Baltimore Ravens backup offensive lineman Jah Reid was arrested on two misdemeanor charges of battery in Key West, Fla., early Sunday morning, according to the Monroe County Sheriff's office in Florida. Reid is the third Ravens player to be arrested in 22 days. Running back Ray Rice was arrested for simple assault on Feb. 15, and backup wide receiver Deonte Thompson was arrested for possession of marijuana on Feb. 21.

Absolute steal. Gives flexibility in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see a free agent WR and go get that FS and ROT and improve C in the draft.

Baltimore Free Agency Tracker

Gone:

Arthur Jones to Indy

Corey Graham to Buffalo

Anthony Allen to Buffalo

Ramon Harewood to Denver

Jameel Mcclain to NYG

Welcome or Welcome Back:

Eugene Monroe

Dennis Pitta

DJ Bryant

Albert McClellan

Daryl Smith

Jacoby Jones

Omar Brown

Anthony Levine

Jeromy Miles

Tandon Doss

Great job so far of locking down the guys they targeted. Monroe and Pitta were huge in that it frees them up to go after WR or FS early in the draft. And Steve Smith sounds like a done deal although I'm on the fence for that one.

Daryl Smith was huge, too.

Hate losing Art Jones, but we all figured he'd be gone.
^This. Unfortunately for the Ravens Jones was just south of the others as far as keepability. Still, Ozzie is working some serious magic so far this offseason. Not one of the deals is a break the bank type yet he is signing good to very good players to keep a solid core in tact.Man, between the O's with Showalter and Duquette and the Ravens with Bisciotti, Harbaugh and especially Newsome Baltimore appears to be in the middle of a second Golden Age for the pro sports teams.

Up to date roster (o-line is in flux pending draft but with Zuttah play G or C? Osemele G or RT? Gino G or C?)

Where are the holes? Backup QB, RB?, TE, unknown O-line piece, CB, "rangy" FS

QB:Joe Flaccohttp://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/player-all-info.php?id=FlacJo00, Tyrod Taylorhttp://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/player-all-info.php?id=TaylTy00, Nick Stephens
RB:Ray Ricehttp://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/player-all-info.php?id=RiceRa00, Bernard Pierce, Cierre Wood
FB: Kyle Juszczyk
WR:Torrey Smithhttp://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/player-all-info.php?id=SmitTo02, Steve Smith Sr., Marlon Brown, Jacoby Jones (KR/PR), Deonte Thompson, Aaron Mellette, Gerrard Sheppard, Kamar Aiken
TE:Dennis Pittahttp://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/player-all-info.php?id=PittDe00, Nathan Overbay, Matt Furstenburg
LT:Eugene Monroe, Ricky Wagner
LG:A.Q. Shipley, Kelechi Osemele
C:Jeremy Zuttah Gino Gradkowski, Ryan Jensen, Reggie Stephens
RG:Marshal Yanda
RT: Jah Reid, David Mims
K:Justin Tuckerhttp://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/player-all-info.php?id=TuckJu44

P: Sam Koch

LS: Morgan Cox

DT:Haloti Ngata (NT)http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/player-all-info.php?id=NgatHa99, Brandon Williamshttp://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/player-all-info.php?id=WillBr94, Cody Larsen
DE:Chris Canty, DeAngelo Tyson, Kapron Lewis-Moore
ILB:Daryl Smith (M)http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/player-all-info.php?id=SmitDa98, Josh Bynes (W), Arthur Brown, Albert McClellan, D.J.Bryant (IR)
OLB:Terrell Suggshttp://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/player-all-info.php?id=SuggTe99, Elvis Dumervil (S), Courtney Upshaw, Pernell McPhee, , John Simon, Adrian Hamilton
CB:Lardarius Webb, Jimmy Smithhttp://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/player-all-info.php?id=SmitJi99, Chykie Brown, Asa Jackson
S: Matt Elam (SS)http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/player-all-info.php?id=ElamMa99, Jeromy Miles, Omar Brown, Darian Stewart (SS), Brynden Trawick (FS), Anthony Levine (SS)

I like the addition of Jeremy Zuttah at center for if nothing else he keeps Gino off the field. Vinney Cereto said that Zuttah is a much better fit for Kubiak's type of offense that asks it's linemen not to maul so much as be athletic and be able to move well. I really hope they keep Kelechi at right guard and draft a right tackle in the first two rounds. I'd go WR/TE round 1 (unless one of the top tackles slips), then tackle in the 2nd.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Wizard-Of-Compensatory-Picks/d6638cb2-c63f-4ea2-a0c2-ac360bfb176c

Awesome read (by Ravens.com writer) on Ozzie's comp pick magic.

“It’s all about having success in the draft and the willingness and confidence in letting players go that they can replace them,” said the NFL Network’s Charley Casserly, a former general manager for the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans.“When you let players go, if you have confidence you can replace them in the draft, you’re always going to end up with more players going than coming in free agency, and you’re going to get more comp picks.”

The next step to getting compensatory picks is not resigning free agents of similar value to replace them. Replacing them through the draft or through patient, wise means in free agency is the key.

When one free agent leaves, a younger player already on the roster often gets his opportunity. For example, cornerback Jimmy Smith took over as a starter last season when Williams left.

But if Newsome needs outside help, he is also adept at maneuvering around free agency to maximize the formula.

Players that are released by their former teams do not count against the compensatory pick equation. So outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil, defensive tackle Marcus Spears and safety Michael Huff didn’t count against the equation last year.

Those signed after a league-specified date also don’t count. That’s why Baltimore waited to sign inside linebacker Daryl Smith last offseason, which proved to be a very shrewd move on multiple levels.

Newsome is patient enough to wait for a good player to be released before pouncing. Often, good players are released for reasons more based on money than performance. They often also don’t get mega deals. Those are reserved for those available when free agency’s doors first open in early March.

Thus, Newsome is able to find bargains on the free agent market that also don’t count against the compensatory pick formula.

Newsome is at it again this offseason.The Ravens lost defensive end Arthur Jones, cornerback Corey Graham and tackle Michael Oher during the first week of free agency. Baltimore hasn’t replaced them with another high-priced free agents. Newsome has been patient. Maybe they’ll be replaced with younger drafted options such as DeAngelo Tyson or Chykie Brown, or draft a rookie to step in immediately. Or maybe a veteran gets cut after the draft or after training camp.

The Ravens wanted to bolster their wide receiver corps. They waited until Steve Smith was cut by the Carolina Panthers to sign him, so Smith won’t count against the formula.

It’s a delicate, complex dance. To the victors go the spoils – or Christmas gifts. And for Newsome, Christmas comes in late-March at the owners meetings.

With Steve Smith Signing, alongside Torrey Smith... Does this mean Dennis Pitta is in store for a pretty good season? 2 Speedsters to open up the short pass game/and the middle! Id like to think so! I traded for Pitta, thats for sure!

With Steve Smith Signing, alongside Torrey Smith... Does this mean Dennis Pitta is in store for a pretty good season? 2 Speedsters to open up the short pass game/and the middle! Id like to think so! I traded for Pitta, thats for sure!
I would think so. There is a lot of comfortability with Owen Daniels being brought in but I can't see him having much more impact than whoever else we have been running out at TE, even in two TE sets. Although I question how much speed Smith has at this point. I hope this has moved them off the Ebron talk (even if he were to fall and it sounds like he won't).

Justin Forsett was another ex-Texan but I foresee him being infinitely more useful than Daniels if given the opportunity. Easily goes to RB3 behind Rice/Pierce and ahead of Cierre Wood.

Re-sign Mount Cody on a one year deal, but he may not even make the final roster.

Liking this off-season so far, though I feel like getting a RT with the #1 pick is extremely important. Osemele was destroying people at LG by the time the Super Bowl rolled around, then was never himself last year even before going down the injury that cost him most of the season. Most of last year's debacle was clearly due to the inferior Offensive Line, especially at Center and LG (though Yanda was overcoming an injury and was never himself at RG either). Gradkowski and Shipley were a joke. Compare Flacco's Super Bowl run, when he had time to scan the field and could step into his throws, vs. all of last season.

One of the things Ozzie always does so well is fill in all the holes prior to the draft. While there are still many places the Ravens can upgrade, he's addressed deficiencies at WR, TE, and Center. The only glaring hole seems to be Right Tackle, though free Safety is still a little weak as well. Starting to feel like this team will move past last year's post-Super Bowl disappointment and reemerge as one of the AFC's top teams.

One of the things Ozzie always does so well is fill in all the holes prior to the draft. While there are still many places the Ravens can upgrade, he's addressed deficiencies at WR, TE, and Center. The only glaring hole seems to be Right Tackle, though free Safety is still a little weak as well. Starting to feel like this team will move past last year's post-Super Bowl disappointment and reemerge as one of the AFC's top teams.
Agreed!

Bummed McClain has lost the fire. Would have been a cheap body to throw at MLB with high upside/little risk.

Latest rumors has them taking a RB on second day.

The Ravens ($52.3 million) and Browns ($55.8 million) are among the highest spenders in free agency in terms of guaranteed money. Baltimore’s total includes re-signing of Dennis Pitta, which technically happened before free agency doors opened. [ESPN]

So schedule:

(Cin, Pit-Thur, @Cle, Car, @Indy, @TB, ATL, @CIN, @PIT-Sun PM, TEN, BYE, @NO, SD, @MIA, JAX, @HOU, CLE)

Sucks to have to go onto the road to Indy and NO, even though the NO game is after the bye. Think we drop one we shouldn't since it's the NFL. End of the season is juicy though.

Gonna go 11-5.

W's - Split with Cincy, Pitt, CLE, CAR, Indy, TB, ATL, TEN, SD, MIA, JAX

L's - Split with Cincy, Pitt, CLE, NO, HOU

Aaaand, he got one.

So, it appears Mosley & Brown will battle to start alongside Smith next season. If both pan out, then the Ravens have their ILBs sewn up for several years.

I wonder if Ozzie would've taken Martin instead had Dallas not sniped him.
It seems like a luxury pick unless Brown is wasted or Smith traded. Are they geared to show more 3-4 looks? Would that even make sense?

Aaaand, he got one.

So, it appears Mosley & Brown will battle to start alongside Smith next season. If both pan out, then the Ravens have their ILBs sewn up for several years.

I wonder if Ozzie would've taken Martin instead had Dallas not sniped him.
It seems like a luxury pick unless Brown is wasted or Smith traded. Are they geared to show more 3-4 looks? Would that even make sense?
They pretty much run a 3-4 now - in name anyway, if not always in practice.

Good pick. Identified as a need, need filled. Next tier of safeties better fits what they are looking for, although several teams need Centers, so I bet that's the direction in Round 2.

So, how are we feeling about the draft so far? National media generally seems to think the Ravens have done well.

I was hoping they'd be able to land the Towson RB but the Steelers got him. I watched that dude during the FCS playoffs and he looked like he could be really good.

Still need an interior O-lineman! Not sure if any good talent left at this point. I might consider a RB and WR too. Ozzie sure takes care of the DEF first. Although the talking heads say Ravens are having a great draft, I am not sold on some of the players drafted so far. But what the hell do I know compared to the experts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread