What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official Baltimore Ravens Thread***** (5 Viewers)

Posted this in the wrong thread:
Macdonald leaving feels an awful lot like Kubiak leaving after his one year as o-coordinator. Finally had the Flacco offense running like a well oiled machine then...poof. Never did recover from that until LJ showed up. Have to see who the Ravens bring in but Macdonald is a big loss.

2nd year Defensive Coordinator Mike Macdonald leaving Baltimore in 2024 as John Harbaugh remains as Head Coach = 2nd year Offensive Coordinator Joe Gibbs leaving San Diego in 1981 as Don Coryell remains as Head Coach

That's how it feels to me and I'm not even kidding. In neither case could you realistically edge out the legendary head coach in favor of a brilliant young kid, and yet you sure might regret not doing it anyway

Because that's actually how Macdonald feels to me. A brilliant guy with a limitless future, not only in the Xs and Os but also in the team building and culture. Seattle's process in landing him was actually a bit like the Ravens in the draft - just sit there and wait, let other people rush into reaching, and let something great fall into your lap
Agreed. Harbaugh has to be on probation going into next year and if he walks or is let go it's gonna sting even more after Macdonald leaving.

But man, Flowers fumbling the ball near the goalline was a backbreaker.
The fumble hurt, no doubt, but I can't fault a player trying to make a play. Sneed just one upped Flowers so kudos to him. Harbaugh was asked about this play and specifically what the team coaches players when diving for the goal line and Harbaugh said the staff coach the players to have two hands on the ball when diving and indeed Flowers did as he was coached. Unfortunate fumble but spit happens sometimes.
Oh I don't fault Flowers for trying to stretch the ball near the goalline. Great play by KC, agree.
I do. He caught that on 2nd and 8 from the 9 and if he gets tackled at the 1, it is 1st and goal at the 1. He made the selfish play and extended the ball and put it at risk. Had he tucked it in and braced for the tackle, the worst thing that happens is he goes down and it's 1st and goal at the 1. Not to turn this into a Belichick convo, but many close to him have said that players on his teams are coached to not do that. Protect the ball and we'll score on the next play. Flowers made the selfish play and it cost his team.

Good article outlining the Ravens' UFAs and their chances of re-signing

I thought for most of the season that Madubuike would be gone because he's gonna command a huge contract, but both the author of this article & our very own @The_Man have convinced me they'll at least franchise him.

Queen's gone. No way Baltimore can afford what he's gonna be asking. I was talking to the Dolphins fans in their thread, and Miami sounds like a perfect fit. The kid the Ravens drafted out of Clemson last year would seem a good replacement if he can get on the field.

If he still wants to play, I'd try to find a way to bring Zeitler back.

Clowney's probably gone. It's a shame, because he had a fantastic year. But he's gonna be out of their price range. Same with Geno Stone.

The off-the-street crew of Darby, Maulet, and Van Noy all were rock solid bargains. I'd like to see all three back, but it's gonna have to be cheap.

Beckham's most likely gone unless he's willing to play for less than 1/3 of what he made last year. I think Agholor is back. He made some big plays for the team this year and will come cheap. Duvernay is likely gone.

The UFA RBs - Dobbins & Edwards - are a mystery to me. I can't imagine either getting much of an offer on the open market. I love both, but Dobbins has played 9 games in the last 3 years & Gus looks a little washed to me. Who is gonna sign either for even $4m/year? I think the Ravens will let Edwards ride off into the sunset and try to work out something cap-friendly with Dobbins. Or maybe it's the other way around.

I could see Tyler Huntley going somewhere like Philly or Indy.

Other unrestricted free agents: Dalvin Cook, RB; Melvin Gordon, RB; Malik Harrison, LB; Josh Johnson, QB; Trayvon Mullen, CB; Sam Mustipher, C; Tyler Ott, LS; Del’Shawn Phillips, LB; Kevon Seymour, CB; Laquon Treadwell, WR; Brent Urban, DL; Daryl Worley, S; Rock Ya-Sin, CB.

Out of that last group, only Harrison, Mustipher, and Urban interest me. Harrison didn't turn into the every-down ILB I'd hoped he be, but he's a core STer and actually played pretty well as a rush LB. I like Mustipher and hope they can keep him. With Urban, I think he's a Raven or hangs it up. Worley was ok, too, and I wouldn't mind keeping him because Stone is gonna get paid by some other team.

As usual, the coaching staff got raided. I was thinking Weaver would get the DC job, but I'm fine with Zack Orr. I think Tennessee hit the jackpot with Wilson as their DC. Same with Miami/Weaver. I don't have a feel yet on Macdonald as a HC, but he will certainly be missed in Baltimore.

Disappointing end to the year, but it still was a good season. It was set up perfectly for Baltimore to get to Vegas, but the picked an awful time to turtle up.

On to FA and the draft.

Madubuike new deal, Agholor back. Urban, Maulet and Harrison resigned.
King Henry and T Josh Jones added.
Queen, Clowney and Stone gone, Zeitler left (one year deal?), Mustipher out, Moses traded, Edwards and Dobbins bringing their RBBC to Chargers. Huntley off to Cleveland to be the QB4? Van Noy to LV, Darby to Jacksonville.
OBJ still unsigned and with bumper WR crop may see his market shrink even more.

For your calls, that's pretty much 100% Uruk-Hai.

For the draft, o-line (especially interior) looking sketchy with losing 3 starters and CB is (always) somewhere to target.

Madubuike new deal, Agholor back. Urban, Maulet and Harrison resigned.
King Henry and T Josh Jones added.
Queen, Clowney and Stone gone, Zeitler left (one year deal?), Mustipher out, Moses traded, Edwards and Dobbins bringing their RBBC to Chargers. Huntley off to Cleveland to be the QB4? Van Noy to LV, Darby to Jacksonville.
OBJ still unsigned and with bumper WR crop may see his market shrink even more.

For your calls, that's pretty much 100% Uruk-Hai.

For the draft, o-line (especially interior) looking sketchy with losing 3 starters and CB is (always) somewhere to target.
Blind squirrel and all that...... :lol:

If they had 5 prime-era HOFers on the OL, I'd still be paranoid that they don't have enough of 'em. Same with DBs. They really need depth everywhere, but that's the price teams pay when they make young men rich going somewhere else through free agency.

Unless someone really drops or they trade (I could see them trading #30 and moving back into early/mid-2nd), I'd expect OL/CB/Edge in some order for their first 3 picks.

It might sound weird, but I'm almost as concerned about the coaching talent they lost........though the Ravens do a really good job of developing assistants.

Listening to DeCosta & Harbaugh's press conference after Round One, I found it interesting that Baltimore had 8 trade offers for their 1.30. DeCosta said one offer was for the Ravens to trade up, which he nixed right away. The other seven were to trade back (I'm guessing one was Carolina). I thought trading back was a real possibility as the round was playing out but, as their pick got closer, I knew they were going CB - just didn't know which one.

Wiggins is a skinny dude, but he's tall and has blazing speed. We'll see if they can get some weight on him; I'd imagine so as he's only 20 years old.

Tonight, we could see picks for any position other than QB or TE. I'm guessing at least one will be O-Line.

I've also been seeing links to Blake Corum lately. Some of that is probably media placing puzzle pieces that may or may not fit - he's from Maryland and he went to Michigan. But I fully expect them to select a RB at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread