What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Bishop Sankey - Best RB in the 2014 Draft (2 Viewers)

Mularkey said today that Andrews is ahead of Sankey and Cobb and mentioned his ST play too. Cobb is going to get some ST work this week (for the first time.) He didn't discuss Sankey getting any ST work to give him that chance. It seems over for him in TEN.

Since the Lewis injury, Sankey to the Patriots rumors had started and after today's news they're kind of picking up steam tonight. Just talk, just rumors. Still I thought it necessary to bump this thread

Titans waived RB Bishop Sankey.
The Titans also dumped 2013 second-rounder Justin Hunter. The Titans made Sankey the first running back off the board in the 2014 draft, selecting him in the second round at No. 54 overall. The light never came on for he or Hunter, as Sankey rushed for just 762 yards and three touchdowns on 199 carries (3.8 YPC) his first two seasons. Sankey put up a respectable rushing line this preseason (13-79-1), but it wasn't enough to earn him a spot behind DeMarco Murray and Derrick Henry. Look for Sankey to get another chance somewhere else. Sep 2 - 12:02 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

I'm not holding out hope he'll turn it around, but if he was going to it wasn't going to be for the Titans.  They've burned so much talent recently I'm surprised the GM and coach have jobs.

I'm not holding out hope he'll turn it around, but if he was going to it wasn't going to be for the Titans.  They've burned so much talent recently I'm surprised the GM and coach have jobs.

To say they've "burned so much talent" implies that the guys they released will end up as impact players somewhere else.  I'm skeptical - I think they got fooled in drafting these guys thinking they actually were impact players. That would be on the GM unless the owner is exerting influence in the draft. 

To say they've "burned so much talent" implies that the guys they released will end up as impact players somewhere else.  I'm skeptical - I think they got fooled in drafting these guys thinking they actually were impact players. That would be on the GM unless the owner is exerting influence in the draft. 
Fair enough.  I guess I'm just operating on the assumption that the Titans have been a poorly drafted, poorly coached team for a few years now.  You're right in that perhaps Justin Hunter would have been a 4th rounder elsewhere and the talent/expectations would be more aligned there.  But I also wouldn't be surprised if Hunter and Sankey both find roles and value on a different team.

Haven't the Titans been drafting poorly for like 10+ years? Every now and then they hit a home run (CJ2K), but they seem to bungle it often.

biju said:
The people who drafted Sankey and Hunter don't have that kind of jobs any more (Whisenhunt is employed, but as an OC, Munchak as OL coach, Russtom Webster (the GM) is unemployed)

The people who drafted Sankey and Hunter don't have that kind of jobs any more (Whisenhunt is employed, but as an OC, Munchak as OL coach, Russtom Webster (the GM) is unemployed)
Not that it changes your point. Falcons hired Webster and Emery to be "national scouts."

Not a bad idea really. Teams should consider a slew of former GMs for some personnel title. Besides good or bad evaluation, they have had tons of conversations about players with their former team, their former scouts, and other GMs. I think it's a clever idea but they're not being revolutionary with it.

Why not "raid" the two teams of players they know (and the public doesn't) the coaches aren't all that high on? Why not re-visit trade ideas with teams that sent previous offers? 

NFL teams don't trade...til they do. It's really a lost art nowadays. 

Today, I don't think the player problem was Webster.  He is to blame for hiring the coaches.

I think the problem was Whisenhunt. I've said it many times. You can not list more than maybe 3 young players that improved under him and they drafted and signed dozens and dozens. There was no player development. When Whis got frustrated he treated players poorly and asked them to do things they weren't good at, then held them to it.

In hindsight, I'm not of the Webster is free of blame type thinking but I have changed. Seeing this first season of cuts with Mularkey, you can tell he was in Whisenhunt's ear too. 

A good team drafts a guy, plays him for what he can do and/or develops him. You see him stink be good become very good then maybe become a star. That never happened under Whis. Instead Whis had a ton of "maybe they'll pan out" guys. We all know from FF that these eat up a roster spot and really are a burden.

And that's probably the best way I can describe it, if you were the GM for FF, wouldn't you hate Whis?

Whis didn't like personalities too. He was this way with their starting OLB Ayers and Zach Brown. Don't bench a talent you don't get along with, work it out. The NFL is way too shallow a league to lose a top talent(on team) because you don't get along. There's stories of bosses and becoming friends with workers that would serve as better analogies here. Zach Brown was a pro bowl alternate and excellent rookie. They brought in FOUR guys to replace him and the dopes have every replacement on the roster still. Guess what? Brown is starting in Buffalo and they love his speed. No problems either. Ya don't get a 2nd round LBer with awesome speed often. 

Ayers was part of the 4-3 3-4 switch. I love Lebeau, but it was painful to lose so many players to a switch. Now Ayers just got cut from the Rams. I am of the opinion confidence is everything to a player and Whis hurt that on so many but...Ayers played in a Supe and has started for 3 teams since Whis said he wasn't good enough. And surprise he did just fine in BB's 3-4 ya just had to coach the guy.

Mularkey is brash too. Switching Poutasi to G. How many scouts and even Titans coaches were involved in selecting their future right tackle? Everyone is "dead wrong" and he's a guard? Because that didn't work out either. Stingily was a long time backup that learned from Munchak and learned behind Roos and Stewart. He was released despite playing ahead of Oher some of that preseason. Ya don't release second string linemen like that. He was picked up by the Steelers/Munchak and played for them that year. Will Poehls was recently released. He's been there 3-4 years. Never played a game. Why? Their line has been horrible. He's not better than horrible? Matias injury waiver forces a DGB trade...really? He never played. 

Whis and Mularkey are loyal to bad players and it's naive. Stop trying to be a nice guy and be a manager or boss. It is costly. By continuing to play bad players, the development of others is stunted since they don't get time. The team morale is affected too. Then there's cuts. Antwan Blake rolls out a red carpet for WRs and Mularkey walks over and gives him another red carpet. Do a google on Kalan Reed. Not only was he an amazing pick for Mr Irrelevant and rated highly by a few sites, his preseason play was rated higher than most Titans DBs. So we get to lose a good potential CB so he can be loyal to some guy from the Steelers? Because he was a steeler years ago? 

The Titans hold this point of view that all teams sign their young cuts to the PS. They do but they do not cut the ones they've talked a lot about. 31 coaches shush about the lesser players. Reed has read all the wonderful comments from Mularkey for weeks. If he is signed to the PS, are you gonna tell me his confidence isn't shattered after being cut? Reed is one of dozens. PK has a thing he says where Titans fans love the lesser players and it's unique to every other team. That's true but Whis and now Mularkey, they talk about them. LeShaun Sims made the team. Do you remember BW Webb starting in McCain's place and being praised? So then why is the 8th CB making the team.

Now this is another problem. If Sims is good enough to be on the team, where is the experience with the ones in practice? Whis and Mularkey always did this...always!!!! How is this young guy to be ready for the NFL by rolling against the 4s every day? Ya don't decide last minute like that. Sims does well and plays with the threes, then the twos, then maybe a sprinkling with the ones. There is a progression that has to happen. It must! Now he's got no real experience against top talent. Under Whis there's Hakeem Nicks who seems like "no big deal, let's cut the old guy" to most of the NFL but that is the same stinking guy that played with the ones all summer and offseason that DGB and Hunter had to back up. Don't you think they could have benefited from more time with the ones? They didn't only play with twos, they did get some. Antwan Blake isn't all that different from Nicks. Poutasi last summer got all the time he could with the ones and he's gone. 

Ya know how HOFer Grimm ran his OL? He benched anyone and put the best in and created a pecking order-normal normal normal. Rookie star Conklin was benched in OTAs and guess what? He's doing well now. Spain had a bad game so guess what? He was to lose time to Schwenke if he didn't produce early in week three. He was awesome. 

Loyalty has been so naive in TEN. They're completely ignorant of it's affect on those behind these players.

Joe Horn's boy. Nice career at Indiana.  He worked as an intern at Colts camp and daddy had him as ready as can be for NFL camp. He never got a target and played less than 10 snaps. That's not evaluation. We all called the Hunter cut in March. Why was he getting so many snaps then? I barely saw TZ. If veteran Andre Johnson doesn't need many reps because they know what he brings, why is Harry Douglas getting so many? Two games Ben Roberts played the whole second half and didn't get a target. 

Guess which Titan played the most this summer? Guess guess guess Ronald Patrick. Backup C. He's third string C, doomed to be cut. Played 3 Qs twice and little more than a half the other two. Why? Because they want to see Schwenke as a G so he will go into the season as backup C and G, yet has almost no snaps at C. God Bless Patrick, no one noticed him and that's usually indicative of excellent play by a C. Poor guy played well and got cut anyway with no one even knowing his name. That's part of it. Why was it predetermined who made it at some spots? Schwenke wasn't all that great at C and got hurt all the time. Since when are the Titans good enough to brush off a good rookie C? He held his own against 2s,3s, and 4s. Isn't that enough?

WHY DID I BRING ALL THIS UP IN A SANKEY THREAD?

Leon Washington. That's who got experience Sankey's rookie year. There is a pattern here of stupidity. Suppose Sankey stinks(I'm not convinced but...) wouldn't Webster have known after 7-8 more games of 20 carries his rookie year? But Whis sets up this "we are unsure" scenario and how can a GM follow the coach's lead then?

Did you forget Whisenhunt became Don Shula for a week? He sure did. They were excited to sign Terrance West, Cleveland's back who led them in rushing the year before. He averaged 4 ypc behind their line which is pathetically good and then he fumbled. So Whis put on his Don Shula hat, didn't play him for the next two games and cut him. He just beat out Justin Forsett for the Ravens job.

Andrews ran for a gazillion yards in college like historical amount. West led Cle in rushing as a rookie. Sankey was top back taken. Cobb was everyone's darling despite being a fifth rounder. Which one did they treat right and develop well? Leon Washington and Dexter McCluster, that's who. Wrap your head around that

Soul thats really a tough sell  You're adding depth via a player not even possibly suited on game day

I do appreciate ya posting though

Soul thats really a tough sell  You're adding depth via a player not even possibly suited on game day

I do appreciate ya posting though
Never been a Sankey fan. But when Bill adds a guy, you HAVE to take notice sometimes. 

Wil he be gold? Wouldnt bet on it. But in NE, unforseen things always tend to happen at RB, do they not? 

They do they do for sure

But normally his MO is veteran backs with little to no tread

Worse yet  Theres like four backs competing and Blount is king for short yardage (me thinks)

But yeah I need to end this convo before I start thinking to roster

It's more than just practice squad. The pats have been interested in him since college and pats reporters were all talking of a potential trade this summer. There is genuine intrigue there. 

On the ps, he probably still has time to learn the system and they still have a spot to play with.

They had Cobb there already and McCluster was supposed to go for a tryout.I'm a little concerned that the new GM doesn't like these guys but his old coach does

For a genius - which i totally believe - BB has always had a pisspoor understanding of skill-position talent. While stipulating that he has virtually created the slot & 3rd-down minicooper positions as presently constituted league-wide, it took him almost a decade to employ his 1st stretch WR, with whom he had the greatest offensive season in fb history and then never employed another again when that went all mossy. And he's looked for either plowhorses (dillon, maroney, blount) or waterbugs (faulk, woodard, lewis) @ RB. It's almost like if it's their talent that makes the pats great, it ain't his. Grabbing Sankey, who i've rooted for since he was on espn's prospect show cuz he wants it so bad, is more proof of coach's turnin-clay-into-statues approach. I hope he's still shopping, cuz that Hooker's gonna cost em at least 1 game. He gets it worse than White, who took 3 yrs to suck at only one aspect of RB (running, of course). Yeesh

Watch this guy emerge as the starter at some point during the season. In the wacky world of Pats RBs, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

For a genius - which i totally believe - BB has always had a pisspoor understanding of skill-position talent. While stipulating that he has virtually created the slot & 3rd-down minicooper positions as presently constituted league-wide, it took him almost a decade to employ his 1st stretch WR, with whom he had the greatest offensive season in fb history and then never employed another again when that went all mossy. And he's looked for either plowhorses (dillon, maroney, blount) or waterbugs (faulk, woodard, lewis) @ RB. It's almost like if it's their talent that makes the pats great, it ain't his. Grabbing Sankey, who i've rooted for since he was on espn's prospect show cuz he wants it so bad, is more proof of coach's turnin-clay-into-statues approach. I hope he's still shopping, cuz that Hooker's gonna cost em at least 1 game. He gets it worse than White, who took 3 yrs to suck at only one aspect of RB (running, of course). Yeesh
What makes the patriots great (well, besides the cheating and knocking up of models and actresses) is the way they manage their roster and the salary cap. Yes, people can point to the fact that they haven't done a great job evaluating RB and WR . . . but they still have had one of the highest scoring offenses (if not the highest) for a very long time and paid very little money to do it. Some years, they pay all of their RBs and WRs combined LESS than some teams will pay a single WR.

So while some folks will say NE can't identify good RB or WR, it's more complicated than that. They are looking for players that fit their system, can fully understand their playbook, and play for peanuts. This year, to pay their 6 RBs and 5 WRs, NE is only shelling out a total of $17 million.

Anarchy99 said:
What makes the patriots great (well, besides the cheating and knocking up of models and actresses) is the way they manage their roster and the salary cap. Yes, people can point to the fact that they haven't done a great job evaluating RB and WR . . . but they still have had one of the highest scoring offenses (if not the highest) for a very long time and paid very little money to do it. Some years, they pay all of their RBs and WRs combined LESS than some teams will pay a single WR.

So while some folks will say NE can't identify good RB or WR, it's more complicated than that. They are looking for players that fit their system, can fully understand their playbook, and play for peanuts. This year, to pay their 6 RBs and 5 WRs, NE is only shelling out a total of $17 million.
:goodposting: , but the Pats have also been fortunate to have an all-time great QB who is willing to play for less than market-value (possibly b/c of his sugar-momma, smokin' hot wife?). 

Being able to plug in bargain RBs & WRs would be much less effective, IMO, without the stud QB playing for (relative) peanuts, as well.

That being said, does Sankey seem like a guy who might fit into the NE "mold?" While not as electric as Lewis, perhaps he could combine some of the "big-back" attributes of Blount with the pass-catching skills of Lewis/White, without having to sub guys & giving the D a clue a/b the upcoming play calls?

Last edited by a moderator:
zamboni said:
Watch this guy emerge as the starter at some point during the season. In the wacky world of Pats RBs, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Two words: Dion. Lewis.

Users who are viewing this thread