What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Brees-Rivers offseason thread *** (1 Viewer)

Maurile Tremblay

Administrator
Staff member
Clark Judge said this morning that they'd both be back. He cited his conversations with AJ Smith in which AJ said he loves having great depth at all positions, and he really likes the security he currently has at QB. He pointed out that the Chargers have the cap space to keep both of them around, and they really think very highly of Rivers.A lot of people will say that AJ is blowing smoke to increase Rivers' trade value. I personally don't think that's the case. I think he'll listen to offers, but it'll take something really special to pry Rivers away.

Last edited by a moderator:
How pissed off will Rivers be? Has any QB taken top 3 ever been forced to sit for 3 years without getting a shot before?

How pissed off will Rivers be? Has any QB taken top 3 ever been forced to sit for 3 years without getting a shot before?
Your signature is one of the funniest things I have ever read on this board, and I've been around for a while.

Cue the salary cap gurus who insist keeping both is impossible
For salary cap purposes, keeping both is easier than trading Rivers.The Chargers have the flexibility to do whatever they want, though. Brees will count something like $11 million next year if they franchise him (less than that if they sign him to a long-term deal), and Rivers will count $3.215 million next year.

Memo to Phillip Rivers:Time to take a chapter out of the T.O. playbook (careful I said a chapter, not the whole damn book). Hire Drew Rosenhaus, DEMAND a trade, tell A.J. in private "man-to-man" that you will become a complete "cancer" on this team if you are not traded this off-season or made the starting QB. This is only business. Your legacy is at stake, you can morph back to a good guy once you have been traded. An NFL career is too short to begin with to toil away for to long carrying a clipboard.

Memo to Phillip Rivers:

Time to take a chapter out of the T.O. playbook (careful I said a chapter, not the whole damn book). Hire Drew Rosenhaus, DEMAND a trade, tell A.J. in private "man-to-man" that you will become a complete "cancer" on this team if you are not traded this off-season or made the starting QB. This is only business. Your legacy is at stake, you can morph back to a good guy once you have been traded. An NFL career is too short to begin with to toil away for to long carrying a clipboard.
Please no.

For salary cap purposes, keeping both is easier than trading Rivers.The Chargers have the flexibility to do whatever they want, though. Brees will count something like $11 million next year if they franchise him (less than that if they sign him to a long-term deal), and Rivers will count $3.215 million next year.
From one of your earlier threads, the Chargers will take a $10.4 million cap hit if they trade Rivers during the off-season. What kind of cap figure do you think they might be looking at if they sign Brees long-term? These moves would seem to use up a very significant chunk of the money they are under the cap. If they get a high 1st-rounder for Rivers, it could be quite a bit more. What other needs do the Chargers need to address in the off-season?

I like to think I know more than most, and its very possible to keep both. Rivers costs nothing. If Brees is signed long-term, he'll cost nothing for the next 2-3 years also.

Clark Judge said this morning that they'd both be back. He cited his conversations with AJ Smith in which AJ said he loves having great depth at all positions, and he really likes the security he currently has at QB. He pointed out that the Chargers have the cap space to keep both of them around, and they really think very highly of Rivers.

A lot of people will say that AJ is blowing smoke to increase Rivers' trade value. I personally don't think that's the case. I think he'll listen to offers, but it'll take something really special to pry Rivers away.
Is keeping Rivers really better then adding an impact player at another position....

Clark Judge said this morning that they'd both be back. He cited his conversations with AJ Smith in which AJ said he loves having great depth at all positions, and he really likes the security he currently has at QB. He pointed out that the Chargers have the cap space to keep both of them around, and they really think very highly of Rivers.

A lot of people will say that AJ is blowing smoke to increase Rivers' trade value. I personally don't think that's the case. I think he'll listen to offers, but it'll take something really special to pry Rivers away.
What kind of positional depth do they have if a player never actually plays? If SD does not play Rivers in a meaningless week 17 game vs a team resting players for the playoffs, THAT tells me that they are afraid of Rivers falling on his face. Smith will continue this posturing game up to the draft.

Is keeping Rivers really better then adding an impact player at another position....
Those two things are not mutualy exclusive. In fact, as mentioned by others in relation to cap space, it is more possible for the Chagers to be able to afford improvements by NOT trading Rivers.

If SD does not play Rivers in a meaningless week 17 game vs a team resting players for the playoffs, THAT tells me that they are afraid of Rivers falling on his face.
Funny, it tells me they're going to try just as hard to win this game this week as they did last week. As a KC fan I can see why that would bother you though. Then again if they do play like they did last week, maybe they'd be better off starting Rivers.....

Trade Rivers for a high draft pick + have no backup QB familiar with the system + take a big cap hit OR

Keep Rivers + have a great backup QB + sign a very good FA

Memo to Phillip Rivers:

Time to take a chapter out of the T.O. playbook (careful I said a chapter, not the whole damn book). Hire Drew Rosenhaus, DEMAND a trade, tell A.J. in private "man-to-man" that you will become a complete "cancer" on this team if you are not traded this off-season or made the starting QB. This is only business. Your legacy is at stake, you can morph back to a good guy once you have been traded. An NFL career is too short to begin with to toil away for to long carrying a clipboard.
Signed, Steve Young.

Its nice to have depth but Rivers' value will never be higher than this offseason. Gotta cash in while you can - posturing IMO. SD is very close to be a championship team - dealing Rivers for a blue chip player that will help you on the filed instead of caddying would help them get there much quicker

Being the 5th seed in week 14 when, boom! You're QB is out 3-4 weeks. All's cool. You can still win 2 of 3 and make the playoffs. Just ask Jags...

If SD does not play Rivers in a meaningless week 17 game vs a team resting players for the playoffs, THAT tells me that they are afraid of Rivers falling on his face.
Funny, it tells me they're going to try just as hard to win this game this week as they did last week. As a KC fan I can see why that would bother you though. Then again if they do play like they did last week, maybe they'd be better off starting Rivers.....
I could care less if SD wins, the season is over for both KC and the Chargers. I'd want to at least see what Rivers can do after sitting on his ### for 2 seasons. Last game, nothing on the line, play him.

What other needs do the Chargers need to address in the off-season?
1)Defensive backfield2)Offensive line

3)Special teams
#1 should be HEAD COACHmartyball is great if you never want to sniff the superbowl

Zero chance that Rivers and Brees are both back next season. Brees has proven himself as the long term answer at QB for the Chargers and while he has been a good soldier thus far, Rivers is way too competitive to be a career back up. Not to mention that Rivers is making big money and they will have to pay Brees top 10 QB this off season.....Look for the Raiders, Jets, Fins, and even the Cards to make a move to grab Rivers (who many think could be better then E. Manning) before the draft or on draft day. All of these teams have high draft picks to offer in a deal.....The Raiders could actually afford to give up their 1st round pick providing they get some defensive and 0-line help via free agency.

sucks to be Phillip Rivers, having your career ruined without ever having a chance to start.
some quarterbacks can play into their late 30's. this is hardly ruining his career. more quarterbacks are ruined by playing too early, rather than playing too late

Last edited:
sucks to be Phillip Rivers, having your career ruined without ever having a chance to start.
some quarterbacks can play into their late 30's. this is hardly ruining his career. more quarterbacks are ruined by playing too early, rather than playing too late
I completely argee......I think having a few years to learn from the sidelines will serve Rivers well going into next year. If he goes to a team with a few weapons (Raiders, Cards) I would make it a priority to pick him up by the end of the second round in my keeper league (providing he didn't look horrible in the preseason).....

Not to mention that Rivers is making big money and they will have to pay Brees top 10 QB this off season.....
Verb tense problem.Rivers has made big money. Going forward, he is not really making big money.

Not to mention that Rivers is making big money and they will have to pay Brees top 10 QB this off season.....
Verb tense problem.Rivers has made big money. Going forward, he is not really making big money.
Phillip Rivers will be in his 3rd NFL season next year. He was a QB picked near the top of the 1st round. Within his own competitive mind, I am sure that he thinks he "on par" talentwise with guys like Eli Manning and Carson Palmer. Palmer, now in his 3rd year, just signed a Mega-bucks 2nd NFL contract. Rivers sees this and realizes that his NFL career, so far is nowhere.SD should trade him and fill critical holes, they have a "win now" team for 2006. Windows like this are very short lived in today's NFL. This "depth" argument is bogus. If Brees goes down in Week 14, SD does not benefit by putting in Rivers as he will still have ZERO NFL game experience. Very rare for anyone to step right in be effective, which is what SD will need. They'd be better off bringing in an NFL veteran backup in the mold of Brad Johnson, Kitna, Collins.

Yeah, I'm fully aware that most of Rivers money was in the form of a signing bonus, not base salary....the bottom line here is that a team that is on the edge of being a legit Super Bowl contender would be foolish to not use the resources they could get by trading Rivers (draft picks, cap room, etc...) to address other needs.You don't have to be a "football guy" to figure this one out!

The Raiders could actually afford to give up their 1st round pick providing they get some defensive and 0-line help via free agency.
Pasquarelli reported that a team offered a "very high choice in the first round" last year before the Chargers paid Rivers a $6.6 million roster bonus, and the Chargers rejected it. (Link)It'll take more than just a first-round pick to get Rivers.

the bottom line here is that a team that is on the edge of being a legit Super Bowl contender would be foolish to not use the resources they could get by trading Rivers (draft picks, cap room, etc...) to address other needs.
Trading Rivers doesn't save cap room. It costs cap room.

SD should trade him and fill critical holes,
What makes you think a=b? How would trading Rivers fill critical holes? If they take a cap hit by trading him, they'll actually be worse off from a cap perspective.

The Raiders could actually afford to give up their 1st round pick providing they get some defensive and 0-line help via free agency.
Pasquarelli reported that a team offered a "very high choice in the first round" last year before the Chargers paid Rivers a $6.6 million roster bonus, and the Chargers rejected it. (Link)It'll take more than just a first-round pick to get Rivers.
The state of QBs in the NFL is much worse then it was last year so teams will be willing to up their offers.....I think it will take a 1 this year and a 1 next year (same thing it took to get Eli Manning). A team like the Raiders who really need a franchise QB will give it up. The only concern is that they may not want to make a division rival better so if a team like the Fins, Saints, Cards, Jets make a similar offer, they would most likely go in that direction.

SD should trade him and fill critical holes,
What makes you think a=b? How would trading Rivers fill critical holes? If they take a cap hit by trading him, they'll actually be worse off from a cap perspective.
A top 10 draft pick doesn't fill holes? That "cap hit" you refer to would be a one year deal and then Rivers would be off the books.....They could mot likely structure Brees' new deal around the one time hit they would take on Rivers this year.

Rivers won't rock the boat

By: MICHAEL KLITZING

SAN DIEGO ---- For two years now, Philip Rivers has stood patiently in the background and refrained from making the kind of waves that disrupt locker room harmony.

Why would this week be any different?

Rivers is unlikely to see the field Saturday in a meaningless game against the Denver Broncos at Qualcomm Stadium as coach Marty Schottenheimer hopes to squeeze one more win out of his starters.

And that's just fine with Rivers.

"A 10-win season is not something to be satisfied with, but it's something to be proud of," Rivers said Thursday, reiterating the goal Schottenheimer has placed before the team since its elimination from playoff contention.

"You play the starters, you do what you can do to win. I didn't expect anything else, to be honest with you."

Many did, assuming the Chargers would want to showcase Rivers, given their impending decision this offseason to either trade him, hand him the starting job, or keep him around as a high-priced backup.

The 24-year-old's even-keeled reaction, however, was just as expected.

Rivers, the fourth selection in the 2003 NFL Draft and once considered the Chargers' quarterback of the future, has towed the company line all along. He has called Brees a deserving starter and accepted his role as a clipboard caddy with good humor and a strong work ethic.

"When I see him, he's cheering Drew on and he's cheering everyone on," said tight end Antonio Gates. "It isn't that he doesn't want to play, he just wants to win. It's always good when you have good people like Philip around.

"You can understand his situation and respect him much more when you can take all of that and (have him) still come out and work hard every day like he does."

Said Schottenheimer: "He has been the master of decorum."

Rivers has had ample reason to be disillusioned. After making 51 starts and throwing 1,710 passes in four years at North Carolina State, he has thrown a mere eight regular-season passes in the NFL ---- all coming in last year's meaningless finale against the Kansas City Chiefs.

"It's been tough, because that's the thing for me is the competitiveness," Rivers said. "It's hard to get the competition out of you (in practice). You can compete with these guys as much as you can, but it's tough to get that completely fulfilled.

"That part has been harder than any."

Over time, however, Rivers said his role has become easier to swallow. In his rookie season, he entered with the expectation that he would be handed the reins at some point. This year, with Brees coming off a Pro Bowl appearance, Rivers heard the sideline beckoning loud and clear.

It's unclear, though, how Rivers would be able to handle that role for another season.

"It would be tough," he said. "Honestly, that's not what I hope for from an individual standpoint. For my career, it's gonna get to where I need to start playing."

And he's hoping for a decision this offseason that will allow that to happen.

"To be honest I trust, like Drew does, that the organization is going to do what's best for them, what's best for Drew, what's best for me, and get all that accomplished," Rivers said. "I think we can all come out good in the whole deal."

Whether that means a trade is only known by Chargers brass at this point ---- and general manager A.J. Smith has never been one to tip his hand on such matters.

Smith insists his focus is clearly on the present season, saying he has "no idea" how much other teams might covet Rivers during the offseason.

"I don't know what calls I'll get or what the interest will be on quarterbacks or other positions," Smith said. "And we don't discuss our football business."

Smith did say Rivers has done a "fantastic job" handling his situation.

Particularly this week, as Rivers continues to recite the company line in the face of so much uncertainty.

"I've tried hard this whole year," Rivers said, "not to get caught up in the future."

A top 10 draft pick doesn't fill holes? That "cap hit" you refer to would be a one year deal and then Rivers would be off the books.....They could mot likely structure Brees' new deal around the one time hit they would take on Rivers this year.
This is true.

Rivers won't rock the boat

By: MICHAEL KLITZING

SAN DIEGO ---- For two years now, Philip Rivers has stood patiently in the background and refrained from making the kind of waves that disrupt locker room harmony.

Why would this week be any different?

Rivers is unlikely to see the field Saturday in a meaningless game against the Denver Broncos at Qualcomm Stadium as coach Marty Schottenheimer hopes to squeeze one more win out of his starters.

And that's just fine with Rivers.

"A 10-win season is not something to be satisfied with, but it's something to be proud of," Rivers said Thursday, reiterating the goal Schottenheimer has placed before the team since its elimination from playoff contention.

"You play the starters, you do what you can do to win. I didn't expect anything else, to be honest with you."

Many did, assuming the Chargers would want to showcase Rivers, given their impending decision this offseason to either trade him, hand him the starting job, or keep him around as a high-priced backup.

The 24-year-old's even-keeled reaction, however, was just as expected.

Rivers, the fourth selection in the 2003 NFL Draft and once considered the Chargers' quarterback of the future, has towed the company line all along. He has called Brees a deserving starter and accepted his role as a clipboard caddy with good humor and a strong work ethic.

"When I see him, he's cheering Drew on and he's cheering everyone on," said tight end Antonio Gates. "It isn't that he doesn't want to play, he just wants to win. It's always good when you have good people like Philip around.

"You can understand his situation and respect him much more when you can take all of that and (have him) still come out and work hard every day like he does."

Said Schottenheimer: "He has been the master of decorum."

Rivers has had ample reason to be disillusioned. After making 51 starts and throwing 1,710 passes in four years at North Carolina State, he has thrown a mere eight regular-season passes in the NFL ---- all coming in last year's meaningless finale against the Kansas City Chiefs.

"It's been tough, because that's the thing for me is the competitiveness," Rivers said. "It's hard to get the competition out of you (in practice). You can compete with these guys as much as you can, but it's tough to get that completely fulfilled.

"That part has been harder than any."

Over time, however, Rivers said his role has become easier to swallow. In his rookie season, he entered with the expectation that he would be handed the reins at some point. This year, with Brees coming off a Pro Bowl appearance, Rivers heard the sideline beckoning loud and clear.

It's unclear, though, how Rivers would be able to handle that role for another season.

"It would be tough," he said. "Honestly, that's not what I hope for from an individual standpoint. For my career, it's gonna get to where I need to start playing."

And he's hoping for a decision this offseason that will allow that to happen.

"To be honest I trust, like Drew does, that the organization is going to do what's best for them, what's best for Drew, what's best for me, and get all that accomplished," Rivers said. "I think we can all come out good in the whole deal."

Whether that means a trade is only known by Chargers brass at this point ---- and general manager A.J. Smith has never been one to tip his hand on such matters.

Smith insists his focus is clearly on the present season, saying he has "no idea" how much other teams might covet Rivers during the offseason.

"I don't know what calls I'll get or what the interest will be on quarterbacks or other positions," Smith said. "And we don't discuss our football business."

Smith did say Rivers has done a "fantastic job" handling his situation.

Particularly this week, as Rivers continues to recite the company line in the face of so much uncertainty.

"I've tried hard this whole year," Rivers said, "not to get caught up in the future."
This is a typical "fluff" story meant to fill space in the paper. What is Rivers suppose to say, "I'll cry like a punk if I'm not starting"? That would only hurt his value. Rumor guys like Peter King, Mort, etc...have all said that Rivers has already quietly made it known to management that he wants out if Brees is their guy. This kid is a top pick, he wants to play.....The Bolts will move him and use AJ Feeley as their #2.....

One thing to consider is how much it will cost to sign Brees to a long-term deal. His agent is Tom Condon, who isn't known for giving discounts.I think Brees will probably end up commanding somewhere around Matt Hasselbeck/Trent Greent/Jake Plummer/Marc Bulger money.If the Chargers decide that's too rich, they could do a franchise-and-trade deal and go with Rivers next year. Not out of the question.

One thing to consider is how much it will cost to sign Brees to a long-term deal. His agent is Tom Condon, who isn't known for giving discounts.

I think Brees will probably end up commanding somewhere around Matt Hasselbeck/Trent Greent/Jake Plummer/Marc Bulger money.

If the Chargers decide that's too rich, they could do a franchise-and-trade deal and go with Rivers next year. Not out of the question.
This is what I thought they should do after last season, and I still think it is the right thing to do. However, I recognize that SD management would take tremendous flak for it and would be taking a calculated risk. They would be much more heavily criticized if they trade Brees and Rivers flops than if they keep Brees and Rivers ends up a great player elsewhere. (For the record, I don't think Rivers will flop, though.)If they trade Rivers, they take a $10M+ cap hit in 2006. If they trade Brees, there is no cap hit. Points to trading Brees (or keeping both).

If they trade Rivers, they have to sign Brees to a hefty long term deal, which means paying a large signing bonus this offseason. If they trade Brees, no new contract is required. Points to trading Brees.

If they trade Rivers, they keep Brees on the field, and he has proven to be a top 10ish NFL QB. If they trade Brees, they are going with an unknown in Rivers, though it must be pointed out that the Chargers do have an informed opinion of his abilities. Points to trading Rivers (or keeping both).

If they trade Rivers, they should get more than they will if they trade Brees, since Rivers is very cheap for another team, whereas Brees would require the new big contract. Points to trading Rivers.

It's as clear as mud.

Rumor guys like Peter King, Mort, etc...have all said that Rivers has already quietly made it known to management that he wants out if Brees is their guy.

This kid is a top pick, he wants to play.....
I'd like a million dollars please.

Brees has played his last game in a SD uniform. No reason whatsoever to pay him $7MM when Rivers can do the same job for 600,000 with a far higher ceiling. :banned:

Brees has played his last game in a SD uniform. No reason whatsoever to pay him $7MM when Rivers can do the same job for 600,000 with a far higher ceiling.

:banned:
And check out the block Rivers threw after throwing the screen to LT!

Memo to Phillip Rivers:

Signed, Steve Young.
Joe Montana>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Drew Brees.

Memo to Phillip Rivers:

Time to take a chapter out of the T.O. playbook (careful I said a chapter, not the whole damn book).   Hire Drew Rosenhaus,  DEMAND a trade, tell  A.J. in private "man-to-man" that you will become a complete "cancer" on this team if you are not traded this off-season or made the starting QB.   This is only business.  Your legacy is at stake, you can morph back to a good guy once you have been traded.   An NFL career is too short to begin with to toil away for to long carrying a clipboard.
Signed, Steve Young.
That's irrelevant. Both teams stood a better chance of winning games with the incumbent regardless of the backup's potential. That's why they played.

Memo to Phillip Rivers:

Signed, Steve Young.
That's irrelevant. Both teams stood a better chance of winning games with the incumbent regardless of the backup's potential. That's why they played.
No, it's not irrelevant.If Steve Young was backing up Brees right now, he'd either be starting in SD, or attracting enough attention to go somewhere else.

If you had Brees at QB, and the HOFer as the backup, then SD would have either traded Brees, or started Rivers outright.

Memo to Phillip Rivers:

Time to take a chapter out of the T.O. playbook (careful I said a chapter, not the whole damn book).   Hire Drew Rosenhaus,  DEMAND a trade, tell  A.J. in private "man-to-man" that you will become a complete "cancer" on this team if you are not traded this off-season or made the starting QB.   This is only business.  Your legacy is at stake, you can morph back to a good guy once you have been traded.   An NFL career is too short to begin with to toil away for to long carrying a clipboard.
Signed, Steve Young.
No, it's not irrelevant.If Steve Young was backing up Brees right now, he'd either be starting in SD, or attracting enough attention to go somewhere else.

If you had Brees at QB, and the HOFer as the backup, then SD would have either traded Brees, or started Rivers outright.
It's not like everyone knew Young was a HOF before he even played. Brees was a Pro Bowler last year. He might not be Joe Montana, but there is no reason to pull him for anyone when the team is fighting for a playoff spot.

According to a Chargers front-office official, the prognosis for San Diego Chargers quarterback Drew Brees' return from his labrum injury in time for next season is not positive.

Link

Odd, because TSN had this:

Drew Brees, QB — San Diego Chargers Jan. 22, 5:09 p.m.Brees is reportedly two weeks ahead in his rehabilitation of the surgically repaired labrum in his throwing shoulder. Brees is expected to begin throwing lightly in May. (Jim Trotter for TSN)

Those two reports definitely have different flavors to them, but I'm not sure they're inconsistent with each other.If Brees can't even start throwing lightly until May (TSN), maybe that means he's unlikely to be at full strength by September (FoxSports)? I don't know.

Assuming the front office is convinced that Brees will not be ready by the beginning of the season, how does that impact their willingness to sign Brees to a long-term contract?

From Fanball:

Quarterback Drew Brees is ahead of schedule in his recovery from postseason surgery to repair a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder. "There are guys that get hurt and wait for [the recovery] to happen," physical therapist Kevin Wilk told the San Diego Union-Tribune. "He's making it happen. He's really ahead of schedule. He's just really doing a great job." Brees is expecting a call from the Chargers this week regarding an initial proposal for a long-term contract.Our ViewA February 23 league deadline for franchising or transitioning a player doesn't give the two sides a whole lot of time to come to terms. Brees' rapid recovery in theory would give the team more comfort than originally anticipated, but San Diego has taken a very hard line in recent contract negotiations and will likely still use his uncertain training camp availability as a bargaining chip. We'll keep you posted on the negotiations as soon as they begin.

According to a Chargers front-office official, the prognosis for San Diego Chargers quarterback Drew Brees' return from his labrum injury in time for next season is not positive.

Link
Here's the key...When does the season begin?

Spring training camp?

Pre-season?

1st Week of the season?

This could also be the Chargers putting out info to justify any future trades/cuts/deals with Brees. There are many a season ticket holder who would likely be up in arms if the team let him go "without cause."

Users who are viewing this thread