What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Cardale Jones*** - Newest Charger (3 Viewers)

Mel Kiper and the bozos at espn say he could be a top 5 pick if he waits a year. WTF? How is he going to be a top 5 pick when likely sitting on the bench in college an entire year. Ugh. Can't count on injuries getting him playing time at Ohio State.

Last edited by a moderator:
He should either declare for the draft or transfer and sit a year then play college ball in 2016
I wouldn't be surprised if he declares if he expects to go in the first 4 rounds. His situation is unique because no matter what he chooses, he's probably not playing football next year. It's easier to want to stay in college when you're a star and treated like royalty and are living the life. Not as fun when you're a backup or ineligible.

He should either declare for the draft or transfer and sit a year then play college ball in 2016
I wouldn't be surprised if he declares if he expects to go in the first 4 rounds. His situation is unique because no matter what he chooses, he's probably not playing football next year. It's easier to want to stay in college when you're a star and treated like royalty and are living the life. Not as fun when you're a backup or ineligible.
If Logan Thomas goes in the 4th, wouldn't he be a better investment?

He displayed more NFL attributes to me than Mariotta. My biggest concerns with him would be his limited playing time at the collegiate level and potential ball security issues but physically he's a prototype, a little accuracy issues from time to time but looks like he can make every throw. Looks like a QB comfortable operating out of the pocket but using his feet when he needs to use them and lastly a major bonus for staying prepared when called upon.

I think it's an amazing story. If the injuries don't occur is this guys football career winding down? I'd have to think so. So like a little more than a month ago this guy is probably thinking about life after football and now he's the starting QB on the first ever playoff national champion, outdueling what some consider the best defensive mastermind in college and the Hiesman winner along the way. Now he's a legend in Ohio forever and staring down at an NFL career. I really don't care much for Ohio St. but this is one of best sports story's I've heard in a long time.

If he stays in school he will be their starter.
Idk man, I don't think at OSU. There's so much hype about the two guys in front of him. Not to say he doesn't have any, but this is just everybody being in the moment right now.
Meyer inherited him. Tressel is the one who recruited him to Ohio State. But he wanted to go there all along. J.T. Barrett is from Texas and went to OSU because of Meyer. Braxton Miller is an Ohio boy and may have went there regardless, but Meyer did recruit him there.

Who is to say he won't be the starter for OSU after leading them to a title? Perhaps Braxton should make other arrangements.
That's what I think.

If he doesn't start for the Buckeyes in 2015, they are fools and he should declare. If he declares, he's probably the 3rd QB taken and will go to a better team.

I think he should go pro. He isn't ready to start, but go to a team that can wait a year and develop him. He's a freak athlete that has flashed Cam Newton stuff. Someone will bite this year.

I can see him returning to battle with JTB in the Spring. Braxton would most likely move to another role (half-back?) or transfer to another school. Cardale could go to the NFL, but I wouldn't think he would go higher than the 3rd round. He would also need to sit and learn once he's there. He has some talent, but it needs to be refined. With that said, I agree that his draft stock may not be any higher. He has done nothing but win big games against big teams and brought home big trophies. But he didn't do it alone, and Zeke played out of his mind in those 3 games - bringing home the Offensive MVP award in each one.

Zeke and Cardale compliment each other so well on offense, I can see CJ getting the nod to start next year - especially that JTB would still have two years of eligibility left starting in 2016. JTB and CJ could learn alot from each other, and BM if he stays. Seeing CJ/JTB with a backfield of Zeke, BM, and D.Wilson would make for some nervous defenses. Thats a lot of speed and strength there with plenty of options to throw or run at any moment during the game.

Personally, I think he should enter the draft. No, he's not ready for the NFL but neither are most of the other QBs and kids who enter. I feel like he has the shine right now and if he goes back to tOSU that shine will wear off a bit.

Mel Kiper and the bozos at espn say he could be a top 5 pick if he waits a year. WTF? How is he going to be a top 5 pick when likely sitting on the bench in college an entire year. Ugh. Can't count on injuries getting him playing time at Ohio State.
I'm sure they say that under the assumption that he plays and plays well, which is why they say "could". I don't think it's a given that if he stays at OSU he automatically gives the job back to Barrett or Miller. He does create a whole new dynamic for the offense and did just win a National Championship.

If he's the goods, I think he goes back to school.

It would be a major surprise if he was a 1st rounder currently, so any team that drafts him has little invested. Which means they wouldn't build around him. If he was a 1st rounder, or even a 2nd, they will.

He's not a RB, it's not about getting the the 2nd contract, it's about going to a team that believes in him, and has plans for him as a starter. He's just a big question mark right now, and they only have three games to go on.

I'm sure his talk with Urban will have a lot to do with his decision. He is married with a kid so his wife may have some say in it too. Should have more time, but rules are rules. It is a life changing choice he has to make. We will all find out soon what it is.

Personally, I think he should enter the draft. No, he's not ready for the NFL but neither are most of the other QBs and kids who enter. I feel like he has the shine right now and if he goes back to tOSU that shine will wear off a bit.
Agreed.

I think he's the better pro prospect of the three. The problem is Meyer likes and who can run and suits the college game.

Agreed.

I think he's the better pro prospect of the three. The problem is Meyer likes and who can run and suits the college game.
Yep.

He's not ready, he can only read one third of the field. He isn't going deep into his progressions if he has any. He simply won't be able to run over NFL defenders like he did in his very-limited playing time. NFL DCs will get book on him and they might be able to figure his game out.

Cardale has mouth watering raw skills in the way he hangs in the pocket, extends plays, has touch and a big arm.

Tons of questions but fantasy players typically operate at that level of uncertainty since we don't have the tapes or the background information so we take players blind compared to NFL evaluators but from what I've seen the kid has the ability to play in the NFL and his college story is just sick.

Agreed.I think he's the better pro prospect of the three. The problem is Meyer likes and who can run and suits the college game.
Yep.He's not ready, he can only read one third of the field. He isn't going deep into his progressions if he has any. He simply won't be able to run over NFL defenders like he did in his very-limited playing time. NFL DCs will get book on him and they might be able to figure his game out.

Cardale has mouth watering raw skills in the way he hangs in the pocket, extends plays, has touch and a big arm.

Tons of questions but fantasy players typically operate at that level of uncertainty since we don't have the tapes or the background information so we take players blind compared to NFL evaluators but from what I've seen the kid has the ability to play in the NFL and his college story is just sick.
Meyer's offense won't help shed the weaknesses you are discussing. His systems have always valued simple, quick decisions that also value ball control a lot more than people assume. I remember all the talk about Tebow trying to develop more NFL QB traits and we saw what happened there. It is what it is. If he succeeds in the NFL it will be in spite of the college offense, if he doesn't it also won't be because he was in it. I do think he can improve his stock, even sharing time with Barrett but why not do this now when you have so much working for you?

He's not ready, he can only read one third of the field. He isn't going deep into his progressions if he has any. He simply won't be able to run over NFL defenders like he did in his very-limited playing time. NFL DCs will get book on him and they might be able to figure his game out.

Meyer's offense won't help shed the weaknesses you are discussing. His systems have always valued simple, quick decisions that also value ball control a lot more than people assume. I remember all the talk about Tebow trying to develop more NFL QB traits and we saw what happened there. It is what it is. If he succeeds in the NFL it will be in spite of the college offense, if he doesn't it also won't be because he was in it. I do think he can improve his stock, even sharing time with Barrett but why not do this now when you have so much working for you?
Tebow had issues with his release and he never was able to mentally grasp the NFL game so he never was able to read defenses and then he'd extend plays but when someone got open his accuracy was horrifically bad.

Cardale doesn't have the issues with his release that Tebow had, a long wind-up that allowed pressure to get to him. Cardale has only played in three college games so he was able to not only play 'ok' but perform incredibly solid with minimal prep so from the small sample size I think he has shown a very-good ability to learn on the fly.

Rookie QBs typically are not up to speed reading defenses. About the only guy who has come into the league from a Pro-Set who could read defenses was Luck. Other guys rely on their physical ability till they learn and that would have to be the plan with Cardale but the same could be said of Mariota and Jameis Winston.

Tebow had issues with his release and he never was able to mentally grasp the NFL game so he never was able to read defenses and then he'd extend plays but when someone got open his accuracy was horrifically bad.

Cardale doesn't have the issues with his release that Tebow had, a long wind-up that allowed pressure to get to him. Cardale has only played in three college games so he was able to not only play 'ok' but perform incredibly solid with minimal prep so from the small sample size I think he has shown a very-good ability to learn on the fly.

Rookie QBs typically are not up to speed reading defenses. About the only guy who has come into the league from a Pro-Set who could read defenses was Luck. Other guys rely on their physical ability till they learn and that would have to be the plan with Cardale but the same could be said of Mariota and Jameis Winston.
I can get behind this.

Another mind blowing stat about Cardale Jones especially if he winds up being drafted somewhere in the first three rounds.

Zero home starts in his college career and zero road starts in his college career.

All of his starts have been a neutral field.

Big Ten Championship game - Indianapolis

Sugar Bowl - New Orleans

College Championship - Dallas

Hope he stays. I think it would be an incredibly dumb move to go pro. What's the thinking here?

His value won't be any higher!! Come on. No one knows that. Yapping about what his draft value is, in December, with nothing like this ever happening before, is so silly as to be sad. History tells us that if you are speaking confidently about Jones' draft stock then you=dumbell.

He won't be a first round pick, so he can learn, preferably behind a good QB. Man, that sounds nice. And if he goes to a certain very few teams, that might work out. Probably not, but maybe. Worked for Green Bay and............? He has no college experience. Three games. How many coaching staffs have the teachers on staff, the job security to make this move, and a QB that will neatly step aside in two years? So many stars need to align for this to happen, it's absurd. Also, and no one is talking about this, if he's a 3rd round pick or so, the team has little invested in him, that if there are some bumps in the road, will they be as patient as if he was the 4th overall pick?

This kid could sit for two years, start for two years, and have as many starts under his belt as Marcus Mariota. And then the team would have to make a free agency decision.

Go back for another year, Cardale!! Start for a season, lock yourself in as a 1st rounder, and get the bigger money up front.

Hope he stays. I think it would be an incredibly dumb move to go pro. What's the thinking here?

His value won't be any higher!! Come on. No one knows that. Yapping about what his draft value is, in December, with nothing like this ever happening before, is so silly as to be sad. History tells us that if you are speaking confidently about Jones' draft stock then you=dumbell.

He won't be a first round pick, so he can learn, preferably behind a good QB. Man, that sounds nice. And if he goes to a certain very few teams, that might work out. Probably not, but maybe. Worked for Green Bay and............? He has no college experience. Three games. How many coaching staffs have the teachers on staff, the job security to make this move, and a QB that will neatly step aside in two years? So many stars need to align for this to happen, it's absurd. Also, and no one is talking about this, if he's a 3rd round pick or so, the team has little invested in him, that if there are some bumps in the road, will they be as patient as if he was the 4th overall pick?

This kid could sit for two years, start for two years, and have as many starts under his belt as Marcus Mariota. And then the team would have to make a free agency decision.

Go back for another year, Cardale!! Start for a season, lock yourself in as a 1st rounder, and get the bigger money up front.
take the money, he's 22, has a wife and a kid.

backup QBs make great money, if he sticks, and I think he will be a good project for a contender

I don't think he'd start next year at OSU. And if he has been told that already, why would he stay? Even if it was just a QB competition and he wasn't sure he'd start, how could that possibly be better than declaring? He could lose out to Barrett or Miller, never get to start at OSU again and end up totally undrafted. The downside is way too big if he hasn't been guaranteed the starter spot.

This is the most ridiculous thing if you think about. This guy just played his only 3 games EVER in college...and now he has his own "Decision" special on ESPN.

YOu don't schedule a press conference at your high school to tell them they're staying in College another year. He's going.

But yes, this "announcement" is so silly. Everytime a big player leaves the state of Ohio they feel the need to make a big tv announcement.

I don't think he'd start next year at OSU. And if he has been told that already, why would he stay? Even if it was just a QB competition and he wasn't sure he'd start, how could that possibly be better than declaring? He could lose out to Barrett or Miller, never get to start at OSU again and end up totally undrafted. The downside is way too big if he hasn't been guaranteed the starter spot.
If he didn't start, the only tape the NFL would have would be these three games. The same they have now.

Why on earth would he go undrafted next year?

If he didn't start, the only tape the NFL would have would be these three games. The same they have now.

Why on earth would he go undrafted next year?
Because professional sports have very short memories. If he went back to school, many would simply defer to Meyer and see the guy as a college backup. He's the hot flavor of the moment. That will sway some teams quite easily. Give it a year to cool off and there is no way he's carry the same cache he does at the moment.Or maybe he went back as the backup and he gets hurt in a practice. Or maybe he went back as a backup, the starter got hurt, and he gets 1 start that he struggles in. There are sorts of reasons why it would be a terrible idea for him to go back if he wasn't guaranteed the starter's role.

Look at the first 20 teams in the draft. How many of them have locked in franchise level QBs? I count four. ATL, NO, SD, NYG. Could be five if you consider Tannehill a franchise QB. Now of those four, Brees is 36, Eli 34 and Rivers 33.

I think the questions are likely going to be too big for anyone to draft him in RD1. But he won't make it past the first twenty picks of RD2.

Rotoworld:

Ohio State redshirt sophomore QB Cardale Jones told Sports Illustrated that he had an opportunity "to be picked in the second or third round of the 2015 draft."
The 6-foot-5, 250-pound Jones announced he would return to school on Thursday. Had he entered the draft, Jones would have gone head-to-head with Brett Hundley to become the class' No. 3 QB. Rotoworld would have sided with Jones. "The NFL has always been my goal and dream," Jones said. "It’s literally right there in front of me, but I also have a goal to graduate. I dedicated to myself and teammates and coaching staff to be the best student-athlete I can be and to graduate." Jones has been given no assurances that he'll start in 2015, but he'll be the starter in spring practices because both J.T. Barrett and Braxton Miller are rehabbing injuries. "It’s simple," Jones said of the three-way battle. "The best guy is going to play. Whoever works the hardest and gains the trust will lead the team. They’re going to play whoever they feel gives the team the best chance to win."

Source: Sports Illustrated
Jan 15 - 4:55 PM
Ohio State redshirt sophomore QB Cardale Jones announced that he will return to campus in 2015.
Jones made a couple interesting comments at his press conference, telling reporters that HC Urban Meyer had given him no assurances that he would be the starter in 2015, and labeling his odds of going in Round 1 as "slim," a refreshingly realistic assessment of one's own standing. Had he declared for the draft, Rotoworld's Josh Norris would have ranked Jones as the class' No. 3 QB over UCLA's Brett Hundley and Baylor's Bryce Petty. The 6-foot-5, 250-pounder, who combines a gigantic frame with a big arm, good feet, and a willingness to drop his shoulder as a runner, shares attributes with signal-callers from Daunte Culpepper and JaMarcus Russell to Cam Newton and Ben Roethlisberger. He probably would have been a middle-rounder had he declared. A huge 2015 could get him into the top-10, however. The Buckeyes now return the most loaded three-deep QB depth chart in the history of college sport, with Jones set to fight J.T. Barrett and Braxton Miller for starting honors.

Source: Joe Schad on Twitter
Jan 15 - 4:27 PM

FWIW, Miami once had Bernie Kosar, Jim Kelly and Vinny Testaverde on their team at the same time. That seems like a better trio to me. At least at this point in time.

Users who are viewing this thread