What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Chargers 2020 Thread - We need an Octavian. We have an Ant(h)ony *** (2 Viewers)

Gr00vus said:
Hey, the team is crippled by injuries 1/4 through the season, that's new!

Also, the unforced errors are still a thing. Young team, yada yada yada.

Somehow the story is basically the same even when the pieces change.
The most important pieces haven't changed, though:

1. Spanos
  2. Telesco
  3. Lynn

Agree, Herbert's done better than I expected. Think they hand the job back over to Taylor when he's healthy? Should they?

Agree, Herbert's done better than I expected. Think they hand the job back over to Taylor when he's healthy? Should they?
Will they? As of right now, hard to say. Lynn could say, we've lost every game with Herbert and Tyrod is 1-0. I think that is terrible logic, but would anyone be surprised to see Lynn say it? :no:   But he could also bow to the inevitable and just roll with Herbert going forward, which would be the right move IMO, both for the team and for Lynn's job security.

Should they hand the job back to Tyrod? Hell no. Given what Herbert has shown, IMO the most valuable thing for the Chargers for 2021 and beyond is getting him game reps to accelerate his development. There is no indication that it is hurting his development to have thrown him in early... in fact, he seems to be thriving, albeit with typical rookie mistakes. And the team owes nothing to Tyrod, they made him one of the highest paid backup QBs in the league, likely paying him more than any other franchise would have.

I agree that Lynn probably lets Taylor take over,  but I don't think it'll last.  Taylor will play like Taylor and it will be obvious he needs to go back to Herbert.  But who knows...maybe Taylor magically got better.  

I have also been pleasantly surprised by Herbert.  His poise in the pocket is really nice.  The oline letting people in of course and he still hangs in there,  shifts his feet and makes some nice throws from a messy pocket.  Still making dumb rookie mistakes,  but he is a rookie with no real offseason.  What more can we really ask?

It would be nice if we could see what the team would look like reasonably healthy,  but we've only had that,  what...maybe once in the last 5 years?

This ####### team. The missed field goal at the end of regulation there, it was non - trivial, though it would be nice to think your kicker can hit that in the clutch. But the missed XP? 

You'd think I'd get used to this by now. But I'm Charlie Brown, and the Chargers are Lucy.

This ####### team. The missed field goal at the end of regulation there, it was non - trivial, though it would be nice to think your kicker can hit that in the clutch. But the missed XP? 

You'd think I'd get used to this by now. But I'm Charlie Brown, and the Chargers are Lucy.
Yeah the last few losses have been so brutal.  As soon as I saw that fumble vs Tampa right before the half I just said out loud to no one that cared,  "Here it goes. Game over." My wife wasn't watching,  but looks up at the score like I'm crazy. 

I don't know why, but from last night, the botched snap exchange between Lamp and Herbert is particularly aggravating too. I think they were still on their own side of the field when it happened, but it seemed like that drive might go somewhere, they were building momentum. Then, bam, drive killer. Unforced errors like that have been a hallmark of the Chargers for too long.

Oh, and also, how do you not account for Hill when he's in at QB in the redzone? How are you not making an adjustment to make sure you've got the QB run covered above all else when he's in?

Oh and also, who the #### is calling pass plays to RBs coming out of the backfield behind the line of scrimmage with 19 seconds left in the game when you're on your own 30 yard line? Hooray, we just burned 4 seconds to gain 1 yard!

ARG!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they'll get Ingram back this week. That's a good thing.

On another note, I was surprised to see Jason Verret playing for SF the other night. Didn't know he was still in the league. Collinsworth was gushing over him. They talked about him for what seemed like 10 minutes. Only at the very end of that discussion did they happen to mention he was drafted by the Chargers.

Gr00vus said:

On another note, I was surprised to see Jason Verret playing for SF the other night. Didn't know he was still in the league. Collinsworth was gushing over him. They talked about him for what seemed like 10 minutes. Only at the very end of that discussion did they happen to mention he was drafted by the Chargers.
He always had the talent.  Just couldn't stay healthy.  Good to see him playing again. 

I planning to pick up the Charger defense in my 16 team league for ROS, with players coming back and JAX, DEN, MIA and NYJ in 4 of the next 5 games.

Gr00vus said:

He’s allowed a passer rating of 7.8 all season. The best in the NFL. As a frog fan, I love to see that. But agree, he hasn’t been able to stay healthy.

Watching Herbert, I like his ability to stand in the pocket and deliver a nice deep ball. That Strong arm gives Williams the edge in my eyes, with the ability for big play potential.  
I agree that Williams and Herbert have more big play potential,  but they had a lot of close misses before new Orleans.  Williams might have some duds. 

Allen is Herbert's safety valve.  He looked a little lost without him.  I think Allen is more reliable...especially PPR I'd pick Allen.  

Is it o.k. for me to become cautiously optimistic that the Chargers may have found a good QB?

On another note, Melvin Ingram, given that football is a brutal sport, seems to have real problems staying on the field. How much longer do the Chargers keep him? When he's available, he's great, but...

Is it o.k. for me to become cautiously optimistic that the Chargers may have found a good QB?

On another note, Melvin Ingram, given that football is a brutal sport, seems to have real problems staying on the field. How much longer do the Chargers keep him? When he's available, he's great, but...
Ingram is a UFA after this season. I assume he's gone, based on age, likely contract value, and his recent durability challenges. Nwosu is his heir apparent. 

ETA: not saying I necessarily think Nwosu will be as good as Ingram was at his peak, though. I think pass rush should be a priority area if Ingram is gone.

Have to say, when the punt was blocked and the Jags went up 21-16 after being down 16-0, I thought it was another in a long line of games snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Not sure if that implies these are no longer the same old Chargers, or if it is just that they were playing the Jags.

Have to say, when the punt was blocked and the Jags went up 21-16 after being down 16-0, I thought it was another in a long line of games snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Not sure if that implies these are no longer the same old Chargers, or if it is just that they were playing the Jags.
Trust me.  You are not alone. 

I get that Bosa got knocked out of the game. You still need to find a way to not completely fall apart and lose a game you were up 21 points in.

People need to be fired. This staff is instilling a losing culture in this team.

Not at all bothered by the loss; next years draft picks continues to tick higher and although I like Lynn as a guy, he is not the long term coach I want running the team.  Herbert’s performance has made this season a huge win regardless of W’s.  Murray is also looking like a steal leading the team in tackles.  Defense should be a monster next year with Derwin James back.  If the front office can hit on another top 5-8 pick in the draft in April, this franchise will be ready to roll next fall.  

Not at all bothered by the loss; next years draft picks continues to tick higher and although I like Lynn as a guy, he is not the long term coach I want running the team.  Herbert’s performance has made this season a huge win regardless of W’s.  Murray is also looking like a steal leading the team in tackles.  Defense should be a monster next year with Derwin James back.  If the front office can hit on another top 5-8 pick in the draft in April, this franchise will be ready to roll next fall.  
O.k., then they should put Bosa in bubble wrap and let him "have a nice season."

Also, can we really count on James? Seems injury prone.

I get that Bosa got knocked out of the game. You still need to find a way to not completely fall apart and lose a game you were up 21 points in.

People need to be fired. This staff is instilling a losing culture in this team.
Agree 100%. Lynn is not the long term guy. Nor is Steichen, or Bradley, or Stewart, or any of the other assistants, with the possible exception of Pep Hamilton.

But, given the Chargers are run by the Spanos family, I fully expect all of them to be back next season, simply because they are under contract.

Herbert has a high ceiling, but IMO this coaching staff will not get him to that ceiling. IMO that should be paramount for the organization at this point, and they should fire Lynn and hire whatever HC candidate is available who will be able to help Herbert maximize his potential. I don't profess to know who that is, just that it is not Lynn.

If the front office can hit on another top 5-8 pick in the draft in April, this franchise will be ready to roll next fall.
"Another"? So, like Mike Williams? He is their only top 5-8 pick in many years. Do you think another Mike Williams will make the difference? I don't.

ETA: missed the obvious on Herbert. :bag:  

Yes, if they could hit again like that, based on how he has looked so far, that would definitely help.

Note: Bosa was top 3, so purposely ignored him for this.

"Another"? So, like Mike Williams? He is their only top 5-8 pick in many years. Do you think another Mike Williams will make the difference? I don't.
Bosa and Herbert look like good choices in the top so far.  And the Williams pick was fine; not a home run,  but certainly not a bust. 

Thinking more on the front office...I go back and forth.  I feel like the talent Telesco has drafted would rank well better than half the teams in the league for sure,  but obviously not showing up in the win column.  Hard to pinpoint if its just the coaching. The injuries seem to be worse than most teams,  but maybe that's part of it.  I don't know.  But I don't think getting rid of Telesco will be likely to be an improvement. I can understand both sides.  

And the Williams pick was fine; not a home run,  but certainly not a bust. 
Disappointing for the #7 pick so far IMO. You don't draft a WR at #7 overall to be a #2 WR, and he is not a #1. Now the Chargers are set to start paying him $14M+ per season starting next season. Don't think he is worth it. YMMV

Thinking more on the front office...I go back and forth.  I feel like the talent Telesco has drafted would rank well better than half the teams in the league for sure,  but obviously not showing up in the win column.  Hard to pinpoint if its just the coaching. The injuries seem to be worse than most teams,  but maybe that's part of it.  I don't know.  But I don't think getting rid of Telesco will be likely to be an improvement. I can understand both sides.  
On the one hand, you can't argue with the results. Telesco took over after the 2012 season, so this is his 8th season. He has 2 playoff wins so far, and a losing overall record. The team has made the playoffs one time in the past 5 full seasons, and will miss again this season, making it 1 of 6. Every player on this roster is his; Ingram is the only player who was on the roster before Telesco, but Telesco extended him. The OL was bad before Telesco arrived, and it still is; he has been completely ineffective in addressing that, which was the biggest problem he inherited on the roster.

On the other hand, I can't disagree that replacing Telesco is unlikely to result in improvement... because the biggest problem the Chargers have is the Spanos family.

:shrug:  

Well, at least they only blew a 3 point lead this time.

To the Raiders. :cry:
Sympathies. That was a tough game on both sides -- lots of missed opportunities, and a heartbreaking way to lose for sure.

These two teams are going to battling it out for years -- Chargers are much better than their record and look super solid on both sides of the ball. Honestly believe both the Raiders and the Chargers are going to battling out the division lead for the next few years as KC begins to fade.

Sympathies. That was a tough game on both sides -- lots of missed opportunities, and a heartbreaking way to lose for sure.

These two teams are going to battling it out for years -- Chargers are much better than their record and look super solid on both sides of the ball. Honestly believe both the Raiders and the Chargers are going to battling out the division lead for the next few years as KC begins to fade.
As long as the Chargers are owned by Spanos, pessimism is the appropriate perspective on their outlook. It's like having all the bad parts of the Al Davis years without any of the good parts of the Al Davis years.

As long as the Chargers are owned by Spanos, pessimism is the appropriate perspective on their outlook. It's like having all the bad parts of the Al Davis years without any of the good parts of the Al Davis years.
They did get this pick right so I guess the Disneyland set can be happy about that. Too bad Herbie will have to toil under the banner of LA LA LAND and the squatter known as The Dean. 

Misery loves company.

Can't speak for Chargers fans as they likely feel very differently than I do as a Raider fan, but while there is deep rivalry and history between all teams in the AFC West, I hate the Chargers the least -- their fan base shares a lot of pain.

Long periods of on-field ineptitudes interspersed with a few great years (I'd argue the Chargers actually sustained a better team, for longer, than the Raiders have over the last few decades). A team that's moved out of town from their fanbase. Long being seen as an "easy win" by the much stronger teams in the division.

Times change, however. I know I feel the Raiders have turned a corner over the last two years, and I see the Chargers as a team that has put together an unbelievable amount of skill on both sides of the ball. Coming into this year, I really thought they'd be the team to beat after the Chiefs.

And they still may be.

It's easy to hate the Chargers the least. They've never won a championship since joining the NFL. They're harmless.

Not at all bothered by the loss; next years draft picks continues to tick higher and although I like Lynn as a guy, he is not the long term coach I want running the team.  Herbert’s performance has made this season a huge win regardless of W’s. 
As much as I hate watching the losses on Sunday I now agree with you here.  Maybe better that they lose, get another high pick and new HC. 

Now that I feel this way it probably means that they will start stringing some wins together and finish one game short of the playoffs and bring Lynn back next year. 

Disappointing for the #7 pick so far IMO. You don't draft a WR at #7 overall to be a #2 WR, and he is not a #1. Now the Chargers are set to start paying him $14M+ per season starting next season. Don't think he is worth it. YMMV
Fair enough.  Certainly not what you hope for,  but of the 6 guys picked ahead of him I would only rather have 2 guys than Williams. 

I also think Williams is the kind of player that adds a lot more to a team than his stats.  Been a while since I went to a game in person,  but when I did you could tell where Williams was just by looking at the safeties.  Ds respect his deep ball big time.  That opens things up for Allen and Henry. Overall I still think it was a decent pick. 

I'm in tank mode. Don't fire Lynn till after the season is over. I just hope all the losing doesn't leave indelible scars on the young talent.

I'm in tank mode. Don't fire Lynn till after the season is over. I just hope all the losing doesn't leave indelible scars on the young talent.
Herbert is very good. Miami ready to go up 21-0 and next thing you know Herbert has that lead cut down to 17-14 by the middle of the 3rd and Miami was in trouble before Tua calmed them down and Howard stepped in and intercepted Herbert later on. 

Just keep building around Herbert would be the obvious plan. Good Luck Chargers! And Good Game despite the loss. 

I'm afraid of this happening as well.  Watching the game yesterday it seemed like Herbert just kind of looked defeated. Just sitting there on the sidelines.  Not looking at plays or talking with coaches.  Just sitting there. It was strange. Obviously they only showed brief moments,  so he could have been working and we just didn't see it.  But I thought it was weird. 

I'm pretty sure they'd have found a way to lose again yesterday had they been playing anyone but the Jets.

Another blocked punt. :rolleyes:

And the 2nd half defense. :X

Granted the Jets playcalling was completely different in the 2nd half as Gase reclaimed the play calling duties from his assistant. But still. There was a great observation on one play by Gannon, where the Jets were 3rd and like 13, and the Chargers rushed 3, with Gannon wondering what Bradley is thinking in that situation. Of course the Jets picked up the 1st down, and changed the momentum of the 2nd half as a result. This kind of thing - the Charger coaching staff doesn't see it, and management doesn't see it, but it's obvious to everyone else that the coaching is bad.

They're in the process of being gifted one of the all time great rookie QB seasons - and they're 3-6. Something aint right.

Seems like every year, people make these claims about how much talent the Chargers have, they're just about to turn the corner, etc. And yet, they pretty much haven't for quite a while. Where do you suppose adjustments should be made given that set of circumstances?

I know, I know, Spanos.

They're in the process of being gifted one of the all time great rookie QB seasons - and they're 3-6. Something aint right.
And those 3 wins are over the worst 3 teams in the NFL - Jets, Jaguars, and Bengals, combined record 3-26-1. It's fortunate for the Chargers that all three of those teams happened to be on their schedule this season.

Users who are viewing this thread