What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Cooking Discussion Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Went into the vault for the wife's birthday dinner. Started with big ### shrimp cocktail (U10 shrimp), followed by pan seared duck breast with a shallot/pink peppercorn/orange reduction, balsamic/honey/thyme roasted tri-color carrots, and garlic smashed red potatoes.

Everything was delicious.

Skrimps

Duck dinner

I like those plates. Where'd you get 'em? Were they spendy?

I'm pretty sure my wife got em at a dollar general before we met 😄
:lmao:

I'll give you $1.25 per plate!

Probably a really dumb question, buuuut:

We were given a cooked ham from Costco as a thank you gift. I was going to slice it for sandwiches for my parents' home Friday. The dumb question: since it is fully cooked, would it be better to warm it today and do the glaze bit, let it cool, and slice it this evening? Or just slice it without going through the process of warming/glazing/cooling? My gut says heat it up, but maybe it's wasted effort.

We were given a cooked ham from Costco as a thank you gift. I was going to slice it for sandwiches for my parents' home Friday. The dumb question: since it is fully cooked, would it be better to warm it today and do the glaze bit, let it cool, and slice it this evening? Or just slice it without going through the process of warming/glazing/cooling? My gut says heat it up, but maybe it's wasted effort.
I would only heat it up if you want hot sandwiches. But If that's the case I would just do it when you want the sandwiches.

I would only heat it up if you want hot sandwiches. But If that's the case I would just do it when you want the sandwiches.

Yeah I got thinking about it and the only advantage is the glaze. The risk is drying it out. Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah I got thinking about it and the only advantage is the glaze. The risk is drying it out. Thanks for the feedback.

almost all store bought hams are like this - and they come with the directions to heat for 30 minutes or so with pretty low heat - we make our own glaze, really think the warming it up and the glaze makes a big difference for us!

almost all store bought hams are like this - and they come with the directions to heat for 30 minutes or so with pretty low heat - we make our own glaze, really think the warming it up and the glaze makes a big difference for us!

with it being pre-cooked i would apply glaze, broil for caramelization, then bring the heat down to heat to appropriate temperature.

I've been a fan of the cooking show "America's Test Kitchen" for a few years now. The other day I bought their cook book that contains all their recipes from 2001-2023. Huge book. Over a 1,000 pages.

Made their 'Chicken and sausage Gumbo'. Interesting technique of toasting the flour instead of making a 'wet roux'. Explanation: Put a cup of flour in a skillet and put it in a 425 oven. Stir it often, then when flour turns the color of cinnamon(about 40-55 minutes), take it out and transfer to a bowl. Let it cool to room temp, then slowly incorporate stock while whisking to avoid lumps.

I've been a fan of the cooking show "America's Test Kitchen" for a few years now. The other day I bought their cook book that contains all their recipes from 2001-2023. Huge book. Over a 1,000 pages.

Made their 'Chicken and sausage Gumbo'. Interesting technique of toasting the flour instead of making a 'wet roux'. Explanation: Put a cup of flour in a skillet and put it in a 425 oven. Stir it often, then when flour turns the color of cinnamon(about 40-55 minutes), take it out and transfer to a bowl. Let it cool to room temp, then slowly incorporate stock while whisking to avoid lumps.
one of my favorite tv shows - that and Cooks Country (Christopher Kimball's assistants) have a ton of shows on Tubi for free

just great stuff and they aren't all hammy like the food network stuff

Feels like this needs to be bumped for the Super Bowl.

20 person party.

Current menu thoughts:
  • buffalo chicken dip
  • veggie sticks
  • meatballs
  • pulled pork sliders
  • chili
  • chips and salsa and guac
  • flavored potato chips
  • something pizza related (pizzas, pizza rolls, bagel bites, idk)
  • little cocktail wieners
  • deviled eggs
  • coleslaw
Feels a little light on green stuff, but idk what else I'd really add. Any fan faves from the crew here?

20 person party.

Current menu thoughts:
  • buffalo chicken dip
  • veggie sticks
  • meatballs
  • pulled pork sliders
  • chili
  • flavored potato chips
  • deviled eggs
  • coleslaw
Feels a little light on green stuff, but idk what else I'd really add. Any fan faves from the crew here?
Spinach and artichoke dip

This one is really good.

20 person party.

Current menu thoughts:
  • buffalo chicken dip
  • veggie sticks
  • meatballs
  • pulled pork sliders
  • chili
  • flavored potato chips
  • deviled eggs
  • coleslaw
Spinach and artichoke dip

This one is really good.
Nice timing one of the guests just asked if they could bring spinach artichoke balls lol

Beef shanks turned out awesome. They were so fall-aparty I couldn't get a good enough plating for a pic. 40 minutes at high pressure may have been a little overkill...next time I'll do 35 and a quicker pressure release.

The sauce was velvety savory goodness. It was a perfect "gravy" for the cauli mash.

Beef shanks turned out awesome. They were so fall-aparty I couldn't get a good enough plating for a pic. 40 minutes at high pressure may have been a little overkill...next time I'll do 35 and a quicker pressure release.

The sauce was velvety savory goodness. It was a perfect "gravy" for the cauli mash.

do you ever make ravioli, tortellini, pappardelle, etc? Braised meats are wonderful for stuffed/larger pastas.

Made chicken and dumplings a few days ago. I followed this except I used closer to 3 cups of chicken (rotisserie) and used dried parsley instead of thyme which I didn’t have

https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/easy-chicken-and-dumplings-from-scratch/

I barely stirred the dumpling mix together, they turned out very light and fluffy.

Really good
Bumping this in case some one wants a good chicken and dumpling recipe. I made this again yesterday

FYI- my wife and I had seconds and it was almost gone. It you’re feeding a family I’d double it

I've got a new favorite chicken wing flavor.

2 tbsp hot sauce
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp honey

Microwave for about 30 seconds and stir. Heaven.

I made Kung Pao chicken last night, and made sure to use Sichuan peppercorns. If you haven't had Sichuan peppercorns before(and you're a fan of heat/spice), I encourage you to go to your local asian market and get some. I doubt you're going to find them in a regular grocery store.

I have now ruined take out kung pao chicken for myself. Take out kung pao usually has WAY too much celery, and not enough spice.

I made Kung Pao chicken last night, and made sure to use Sichuan peppercorns. If you haven't had Sichuan peppercorns before(and you're a fan of heat/spice), I encourage you to go to your local asian market and get some. I doubt you're going to find them in a regular grocery store.

I have now ruined take out kung pao chicken for myself. Take out kung pao usually has WAY too much celery, and not enough spice.
Recipe?

Gongbao Jiding (Sichuan Kung Pao Chicken)

Chicken and Sauce
1.5 lbs boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup soy sauce, divided
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tbsp chinese black vinegar
1 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
2 tsp toasted sesame oil

Stir-fry
2 tbsp plus 1 teaspoon veg. oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1/2 cup peanuts
10-15 dried arbol chiles, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns, ground coarse
2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
5 scallions, white and light green parts only, cut into 1/2 inch pieces.

1. For the chicken and sauce: Combine chicken, 2 tbsp soy sauce, cornstarch, rice wine, and white pepper in bowl and set aside.. Stir vinegar, sugar, oil, and remaining 2 tbsp soy sauce together in bowl and set aside.

2. For the stir-fry: Stir 1 tbsp oil, garlic, and ginger together in small bowl. Combine peanuts and 1 tsp oil in 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until peanuts just begin to darken, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer peanuts to plate and spread into even layer to cool. Return now empty skillet to medium low heat. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil, arbols, and peppercorns and cook, stirring constantly, until arbols begin to darken, 1 to 2 minutes. Add garlic mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until all clumps are broken up and mixture is fragrant, about 30 seconds.

3. Add chicken and spread into even layer. Cover skillet, increase heat to medium high, and cook, without stirring, for 1 minute. Stir chicken and spread into even layer. Cover, and cook, without stirring, and additional minute. Add celery and cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until chicken is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add soy sauce mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened and shiny and coats chicken, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in scallions and peanuts. Transfer to platter and serve.

Serve with white rice and a simple veggie, like broccoli or bok choy. Do not eat the chiles.

Do not eat the chiles.
Ppfft :rolleyes:

Thanks for the recipe!

Question: I know your recipe calls for 1 Tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry…. but have you ever used real Xiao Xing (sp?) wine? I realize that’s essentially what rice wine is (with dry sherry being a good sub), but I’m just curious whether you’ve ever tried the “real thing” and whether you noticed any difference? TIA

Do not eat the chiles.
Ppfft :rolleyes:

Thanks for the recipe!

Question: I know your recipe calls for 1 Tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry…. but have you ever used real Xiao Xing (sp?) wine? I realize that’s essentially what rice wine is (with dry sherry being a good sub), but I’m just curious whether you’ve ever tried the “real thing” and whether you noticed any difference? TIA
I haven't, but want to.

exactly on the celery - I love red bell peppers ...hate green ones - but I don't want any of them in my kung pao

crappy places load up kung pao with celery, bell peppers and big chunks of onion

I tell them - only chicken, peanuts, dried chilies and green onions.

exactly on the celery - I love red bell peppers ...hate green ones - but I don't want any of them in my kung pao

crappy places load up kung pao with celery, bell peppers and big chunks of onion

The sad part is, I bet they(98% of 'Chinese Restaurants") don't use Sichuan Peppercorns. Sichuan Peppercorns are the real reason for the dish.

Explanation of why they are important

The sad part is, I bet they(98% of 'Chinese Restaurants") don't use Sichuan Peppercorns. Sichuan Peppercorns are the real reason for the dish.

Love Sichuan peppercorns. But one word of caution, this is for sure one example of more not being better. I riffed a recipe one night and used waaaaaaay too many, because well, I love them. Let's just say it was very unpleasant to the point of nauseating and I now still enjoy them but have a healthy respect for their power.

Love Sichuan peppercorns. But one word of caution, this is for sure one example of more not being better. I riffed a recipe one night and used waaaaaaay too many, because well, I love them. Let's just say it was very unpleasant to the point of nauseating and I now still enjoy them but have a healthy respect for their power.
This was the first time cooking with them, so I stuck to the recipe. I love spice, but keep it within boundries when dealing with new (to me) ingredients.

This was the first time cooking with them, so I stuck to the recipe. I love spice, but keep it within boundries when dealing with new (to me) ingredients.

we keep both ground sichuan peppercorns and homemade chili oil on the table for every meal ...it's not always used, but it gets used a lot.

Haven’t had it in a long time but when I was a kid we used to have Easter Pie

It’s probably an Italian thing, idk. My mother and grandmother used to make them. In later years my Dad used to get one from a local Italian bakery that no longer exists.

My wife and I looked up a recipe online and sort of followed it and made one today

Excited to slice open tomorrow and see what’s up

We were just talking about Maui recently and daughter asked if we can try to replicate a favorite dish of ours: Lahaina soup noodles from star noodle (variation of a chow fun noodle). I was a sous at an Italian restaurant and made made types of Italian pastas, but despite my adoration for Asian food. Have not made homemade Asian noodles. I’ll pick up some char su from a local Cantonese restaurant and add some mushrooms and gr onion.

I’ll post recipe in a bit and offer a review.

Star noodle menu

@The Gator

Really, really good. Better than any of us remembered

friends are bbqing today...asked us to bring a starch.

bacon and gruyere gratin, with caramelized onions:

1-2 yellow onions (finely sliced)

7-10 slices of bacon (diced)

3 lbs of potatoes (russet)

2 cloves of garlic

3/4 qt of cream

1/2 pt of milk

8 oz to 1 lb of shreaded gruyere

salt and white pepper to taste

crisp diced bacon. set aside with slotted spoon. use bacon fat to carmelize onions (use some veg oil or butter if it seems like there's not enough fat). this is a slow process (even at home i'd go 1-2 hours). you cook a little. you add a little water. you let it almost evaporate. then add more water. once done you can set them aside (you can do this a day or so in advance).

preheat oven at 400. milk, cream, and garlic in a pot. bring to a boil (watch out! it will very quickly overflow and run over the sides of your pot!). take garlic out and set aside. while you are waiting for the milk/cream to boil.. peel potatoes and hold in cold water. thinly slice the potatoes (size of potato chips or thinner) and arrange in a greases baking dish. a layer or two of potato, onion, bacon and a little of the mlik/cream... keep doing that until you are out..... top it with the gruyere.. in oven cook about 40 min... you want the potatoes to absorb the milk and the top to brown.

sure... give me a moment :D
at home i do this a couple of ways... whole roasted; and pan seared, skin on, airline breast

i have also made this with a port, or flavored vinegar gastrique

1 whole chicken, cleaned

1 oz chopped thyme

1 oz chopped lavender

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

1 stick of butter

3- 4 tbs honey

1 1/2 c chicken stock

1/4 c red wine

pre-heat oven to 375. finely chopped thyme, lavender, salt and pepper..... rinse bird: interior and exterior. dry it. oil outside. create pockets between skin and muscle. mix herbs. apply herb mixture inside and out of skin. do a small dice of 1 or 2 sticks of butter.. place between skin and muscle. just s&p inside cavity. use it's stock and it's own juices to baste (about every 15 min).. about half way through cooking, i add honey to the basting liquid and continue basting with the honey/lavender mix...... gives it a nice glaze/sauce.... about 10-15 min before serving a make a sauce out of the liquid..... i'll deglaze with a little red wine.... add some roux.... finish with a little butter.

Coq au vin tonight

3 3 1/2 lb chickens (parted into 8's-> can buy em that way if you don't want to be the butcher)

6- 8 slices of bacon (small dice)
24 pearl onions
1 1/2 lb button mushrooms (sliced)
1 qt red wine
1 pt chicken stock
sachet of: thyme, bay leaf, 4 crushed garlic cloves

2 oz of butter (softened)
2 oz of flour

preheat over to 300. crisp the bacon in pot or pan. remove from pot or pan (but save). sear chicken. remove. boil pearl onions for 2-3 min. peel. saute oinions and mushrooms until brown. remove and save. pour off fat from pan. add wine and stock- bring to boil. add sachet. return chicken to pot/pan. bring back to a boil. cook covered in oven untildone (30-40 min). again... lol... remove chicken (can hold it in low temp oven). on stove, bring liquid to boil. add mushrooms, onions, bacon. reduce liquid to 1 qt. mix the butter and flour in a bowl (called a beurre manie- uncooked roux). add just enough to thicken using a wisk.

serve over chicken.

Picked up a molcajete the other day and so far have made guacamole and a red salsa with it...I gotta say, both were absolutely delicious. The amount of flavor you get from grinding vs blending is definitely noticeable.

I'm gonna get a lot of use out of this.

Coq au vin tonight

3 3 1/2 lb chickens (parted into 8's-> can buy em that way if you don't want to be the butcher)

6- 8 slices of bacon (small dice)
24 pearl onions
1 1/2 lb button mushrooms (sliced)
1 qt red wine
1 pt chicken stock
sachet of: thyme, bay leaf, 4 crushed garlic cloves

2 oz of butter (softened)
2 oz of flour

preheat over to 300. crisp the bacon in pot or pan. remove from pot or pan (but save). sear chicken. remove. boil pearl onions for 2-3 min. peel. saute oinions and mushrooms until brown. remove and save. pour off fat from pan. add wine and stock- bring to boil. add sachet. return chicken to pot/pan. bring back to a boil. cook covered in oven untildone (30-40 min). again... lol... remove chicken (can hold it in low temp oven). on stove, bring liquid to boil. add mushrooms, onions, bacon. reduce liquid to 1 qt. mix the butter and flour in a bowl (called a beurre manie- uncooked roux). add just enough to thicken using a wisk.

serve over chicken.
Here's my go-to Coq Au Vin recipe (I have show notes that fill in the gaps in the video, if anyone is interested). Your recipe look similiar, and might lead to the same result. The only thing I do differently is that I halve a habanero and add to the braise (hot tip from Jamaican lady at my local grocery store).

Several years ago my scrambled eggs game changed after watching a few videos about how to properly make scrambled eggs. Low and slow, sometimes add some cream for the French creamed eggs version, etc.

I'm over a friends house the other day, and he wants some scrambled eggs. He cracks an egg into a mug, adds some salt, pepper, and grated cheese. Beats it with a fork, and pops it in the microwave for 70 seconds. I thought "Well, that's gonna be a disaster".

Nope, light and fluffy and perfectly done. Still learning....

Several years ago my scrambled eggs game changed after watching a few videos about how to properly make scrambled eggs. Low and slow, sometimes add some cream for the French creamed eggs version, etc.

I'm over a friends house the other day, and he wants some scrambled eggs. He cracks an egg into a mug, adds some salt, pepper, and grated cheese. Beats it with a fork, and pops it in the microwave for 70 seconds. I thought "Well, that's gonna be a disaster".

Nope, light and fluffy and perfectly done. Still learning....
I make eggs for my McMuffin style sandwiches in mug/microwave. Perfectly round and just the right size.

In the 'no way is this even remotely healthy' category:

Cheesesteak pasta

2 green bell peppers
1 large onion
1 package sliced mushrooms
1 package penne pasta
1 package sliced steak meat
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 or 3 cups whole milk
1 mug of starchy pasta water, reserved
1 package provolone cheese, cut up into 2 centimeter pieces
1 teaspoon seasoning of your choice(I used a 'burger bomb' general seasoning mix)

Slice and stir fry the peppers and onions. Once they are a minute or two from being done, add mushrooms. Take veggies out of pan, and put the steak meat in. Cook according to package directions, and take out of pan. I put a couple of paper towels in a large bowl and put the meat in that to drain off any excess fat/water. Start cooking the pasta at this point. Put the butter in the pan and melt. Add the flour, and stir for a minute or two. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly. When smooth, slowly add the provolone cheese while still whisking. Add seasoning of your choice. Once pasta is al dente, remember to get a mug of the starchy water. Put water to the side. Drain pasta, and add to bechamele cheese sauce. Stir. If it is too thick, add starchy water and stir until you're happy with thickness/consistancy. Add the peppers/onions and meat back to the pan and stir well.

Enjoy while being within 10 feet of a defibrillator.

Easy meal tonight…

Grilled

Ora king for wife and daughter
Chilean sea bass for me.
Citrus rub

Coconut/lime rice

Mango salsa:
Diced-
Mango
Red pepper
Yellow pepper
Green onion
Cilantro
Sesame oil
Pineapple vinegar
Hawaiian sea salt

I usually like burre blanc but was lazy

one of my favorite tv shows - that and Cooks Country (Christopher Kimball's assistants) have a ton of shows on Tubi for free

It seems the ATK has started a game show/competition type of show. Very disappointed in them. I thought they would remain above that.

It seems the ATK has started a game show/competition type of show. Very disappointed in them. I thought they would remain above that.

agreed. I have been binging the old ATK stuff from PBS on YouTubeTV (free) - if you like to cook, this stuff is as fresh as the day it was made.

I don't mind the 2 assistants in Cooks Country either.

Everything below is from memory, as I didn’t really go by any set recipe.

Edit to add: Stuffing the shells are a pain in the butt. Next time I'm just going to boil some penne and use the stuffing mix as the 'sauce'.

Mexican themed stuffed shells

Red sauce

1 can tomato sauce

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon cumin

1 tablespoon smoked paprika

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 cup of your favorite salsa

2 tablespoons Beef ‘Better Than Bouillon” goo

2 cups water

Stuffing mix

1 lb ground beef

1 yellow bell pepper, diced

1 red bell pepper, diced

1 large yellow onion, diced

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon taco mix/powder

4 oz. cream cheese

Put all ingredients for red sauce into sauce pan and put on medium low heat. Whisk and simmer until needed later.

Cook shells as instructed on box to al dente. Drain and rinse shells. Yes, I know this goes against everything we have learned about pasta. Do it anyway. You’re gonna have to trust me. Set aside.

Saute onion and peppers in large skillet on medium heat until translucent and starting to brown on edges. adding salt and pepper near the beginning. Put into bowl and set aside. Add beef and cook until no more pink remains. Drain of any excess fat. Return beef to pan and add chili powder, taco mix, pepper/onion mix and stir. Add cream cheese and stir until completely incorporated. Take off heat and set aside.

Put 1/3 of red sauce in large baking dish, and make sure the entire bottom is covered. Spend the next 20 minutes complaining about what a pain in the a$$ it is to stuff pasta shells with mixture. For the first 4-5 shells I used a spoon. Got frustrated, and dropped spoon for just grabbing some in my hand and stuffing shells manually(literally). After dish is full, use a ladle to pour red sauce over stuffed shells. Wrap in tin foil, and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Take out of oven, remove tin foil, add a very unhealthy amount of cheddar cheese, and put back in oven for 10 minutes.

Eat while googling “Nearest defibrillator to me”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread