What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (6 Viewers)

[snip]

People talk about how you remember how things began and ended.  Mine ended there, sorting cars, hi-fiving people, taking selfies as they went on in to end theirs.  

[snip] You guys rock!
Haven't posted much in here but read every post, and I wanted to thank you both for these.  Somehow I've just hit the nadir of the COVID depression (yeah, it took me a while), and I love the positivity.  Hope we'll find that we really are turning a corner.

And like top dog, I got nearly all of my most valuable information from this thread, including stocking up on necessities a few weeks before it got bad and getting sanitizers and masks from links people posted here when you couldn't find those anywhere else.  So I echo his thanks for those of you who have been providing helpful guidance.

I think his intention was to support ongoing social measures to help keep people safe, but he ends up undermining the role vaccines play. He's conflating "efficacy of vaccines" with "number of people getting sick". Yes more people will get sick if lighten up on masks and social distancing, but that does nothing to change the efficacy of the vaccines.
Bingo 

And like top dog, I got nearly all of my most valuable information from this thread, including stocking up on necessities a few weeks before it got bad and getting sanitizers and masks from links people posted here when you couldn't find those anywhere else.  So I echo his thanks for those of you who have been providing helpful guidance.
I still have friends and family tell me they only started paying attention early last year because I was warning them.  I only had a clue due to this thread.

Was thinking of this thread last night. It has been just about a year since everything fell apart around here. We had a trip to Niagara Falls booked for my birthday in March that we cancelled due to uncertainty around COVID. On March 17th we had our first case at work. Led to an outbreak. A coworker's wife died. Since then I know over 45 people that have had it including both my sons, my daughter-in-law and grandkids. A number of people who have died. My son who lives with me had it and my wife and I avoided it. I believe whole heartedly that we were able to navigate those two weeks safely because of this thread. I got most of my information from here. Was masking before anyone else because of this thread. Didn't run out of toilet paper because of the updates here about it happening in Australia. Went shopping and stocked up the day Trump announce the national emergency because I got a heads up about it in here. People went nuts and cleaned out all the grocery stores the next day. Never ran out of liquor because we stocked up before everyone ELSE thought of that idea. 🤣 Have had sanitizer, masks, cleaning supplies and most of all a PLAN in case of someone getting it in the house. When my son, daughter-in-law and kids had it I was able to give them advice and supplies. My father is now fully vaccinated. I have 3 older sisters. They all have either been fully vaccinated or at least gotten the first shots. Things are definitely turning the corner. We are not out of the woods yet, but we are getting closer. 

The last year has been one hell of a ride. I just wanted to thank everyone who has been in this thread helping with news, information and providing an outlet. I really do feel like this thread here helped me tremendously. You guys rock!
:goodposting:

This thread was awesome back in the spring and generally packed with information that turned out to be really helpful.  This time last year, I was in a meeting where my boss was making fun of people who were loading up on hand sanitizer (not her best moment), while I had recently topped off my pantry and bought probably six months of cleaning supplies and toilet paper.  Ironically I never did buy any hand sanitizer -- I'm still driving around with a little travel-sized bottle that I probably bought 2-3 years ago for a trip and which is still probably 2/3 full.  But I don't go out much and plain old hand soap is all I ever really needed most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't posted much in here but read every post, and I wanted to thank you both for these.  Somehow I've just hit the nadir of the COVID depression (yeah, it took me a while), and I love the positivity.  Hope we'll find that we really are turning a corner.

Hang in there!

2.2MM Friday, 2.4MM Saturday, 2.5MM today -- 7MM shots administered in the last three days!

Something like 200MM vaccines slated to become available in the next 60 days or so.  Huge strides.

I have to hand it to the FDA advisory committee, they somehow managed to ONCE AGAIN nail the exact date and time that they would finish analyzing the data to be able to recommend approval of another vaccine. Uncanny.

My mom and MIL are still being pretty safe with the quarantine so they’re over all the time. My dad is...not, but he’s vaccinated so we let him hug on our son. We keep him outside on the patio though lol. He only comes over for an hour or so once a month so not a big deal. The grandmas are here and inside all the time. 

Two of our younger friends are in medical and are vaccinated so we let them hug on him but everybody still has a mask on. 

I would expect the second half of the year when everybody in our circle except our son has a shot, we’ll be maskless. 
I have been work from home since March 12, my wife is a stay-at-home, and my oldest has done cyber-kindergarten this year.  I haven't done anything in-person but for a doctor's appointment in October.  When we have had to deal with a few house things, everyone has been masked.  I have done all delivery and curbside this entire time.  Point being that we have been very careful overall.

We have seen a few people allowed in our bubble this year (other than talking to neighbors outside).  My parents, my MIL, my sister/BIL, one friend, and another family with kids who is also "being careful" like us.

My mom is retired, and my dad semi-retired (goes into family office and doesn't see anyone but his sisters -- all in masks).  MIL, sister, and BIL have all been WFH since March.

We did a week long vacation with my parent, MIL, and sister/BIL.  No masks,  We all committed to "quarantining" for 2 weeks prior, although my sister had a medical emergency.  This was July

Parents have visited twice and we see my MIL every few weekends.  No masks, but again require that they haven't had contact outside of the house for 10+ days.

Had a friend over, and sat on the deck and had beers without a mask.  This was summer.

Haven't seen parents since first week of November.  MIL still comes over every few weeks.  Haven't seen anyone else really since December.

Any other interaction with outside parties, we require masks inside and outside (contractors and the like).

:goodposting:

This thread was awesome back in the spring and generally packed with information that turned out to be really helpful.  This time last year, I was in a meeting where my boss was making fun of people who were loading up on hand sanitizer (not her best moment), while I had recently topped off my pantry and bought probably six months of cleaning supplies and toilet paper.  Ironically I never did buy any hand sanitizer -- I'm still driving around with a little travel-sized bottle that I probably bought 2-3 years ago for a trip and which is still probably 2/3 full.  But I don't go out much and plain old hand soap is all I ever really needed most of the time.
Yep.  All of this.  Friends, family & co-workers have all said in the past year, repeatedly "wow, how do you know so much about COVID" or "man, you were way ahead of the game on this way way back."   And it was all because of this thread.   Some amazing stuff from this group. 

Yep.  All of this.  Friends, family & co-workers have all said in the past year, repeatedly "wow, how do you know so much about COVID" or "man, you were way ahead of the game on this way way back."   And it was all because of this thread.   Some amazing stuff from this group. 
Same here.  I was kind of not buying the COVID stuff in February 2020, and then I got hit with the flu exactly one year ago today.  Quarantined myself in the guest bedroom for a week and became my company's COVID expert via this thread from all the reading that week. I remember being super nervous for the two days I was on the train and back in the office before shutting down March 12.

Same here.  I was kind of not buying the COVID stuff in February 2020, and then I got hit with the flu exactly one year ago today.  Quarantined myself in the guest bedroom for a week and became my company's COVID expert via this thread from all the reading that week. I remember being super nervous for the two days I was on the train and back in the office before shutting down March 12.
I remember being super nervous after going to a friend's engagement dinner (6 people total) the weekend that Chicago had widespread St. Patty's Day parties which gained national attention.   And then finding out my friend and his future wife were getting tested for COVID two days later because they were super ill.  It was terrifying.   People in here rightly called me out for making a stupid decision (even though 99% of the country still hadn't accepted that we were locking down); and they were right to do that.

So grateful for this thread and the people early on -- and throughout -- who brought tons of knowledge to this pandemic.  And to people who brought rational skepticism too.  It's not like the "experts" have been right on everything.  Lots of smart folks in here.  While the thread has devolved at times, this is one of the best threads I've seen on this board.   (along with that one about the guy Steve who went camping)

I just realized that “a vaccination” is an anagram for “I can vacation.”
Lol.

But on a serious note you can still totally spread it to everybody. I mean you could be vaccinated and one of your friends could be vaccinated. You could still get it from your friend and then go to the grocery store and spread it to everybody there. 

Nobody would even know because you would all be fine, but still we dont know what effects there could be in 37 years from that completely unobservable super spreading event. 

Better stay home til march of 2022 just to be safe. 

How are they going to find out how long the vaccines work other than “wait until people who were vaccinated first start getting COVID again”. 

Update: two older kids show no symptoms at all and youngest no longer shows a hint of any symptoms. My cough went away. Wife has improved with her minor breathing issues. 

For her and myself, I can't say it was directly a result but I did get some pills that have vitamin C, zinc, elderberry, ginger, vitamin D, turmeric, and echinacea. Started it the same night as I began to have my cough. 

I also got the kids a kids version with Elderberry, vitamin c and zinc to go along with their normal vitamins. 

All in all it looks like we will navigate this as a family with a sum total of one throw up from my daughter, one night of minor coughing from me, my wife’s asthma acting up slightly and my youngest seeming a little tired for a day. 

I am convinced that the mortality rates are even lower than they think on this because there has to be many who have had this and never had aclue they were sick at all, let alone had rona. If not for mu daughter being sent home from school and essentially us needing to get her tested to get back we would not have suspected anything. How many more people are the same and not counted in the figures because they never tested? Not to mention how many deaths are added as caused by rona when something else, say cancer or even a car accident, simply because they tested positive. It is amazing how much damage this novel virus has done... imagine something that was mildly deadly... civilization would collapse. 

I am convinced that the mortality rates are even lower than they think on this because there has to be many who have had this and never had a clue they were sick at all, let alone had rona. If not for my daughter being sent home from school and essentially us needing to get her tested to get back we would not have suspected anything. How many more people are the same and not counted in the figures because they never tested?
It's not common knowledge, but the same is true of the various strains of seasonal influenza.  Asymptomatic carriers far outnumber those who actually get a serious case of influenza.

EDIT: Second sentence formerly started: "Contagious asymptomatic carriers far outnumber ..."

It's not common knowledge, but the same is true of the various strains of seasonal influenza. Contagious asymptomatic carriers far outnumber those who actually get a serious case of influenza.
Asymptomatic transimission rates aren't settled science and many believe they are very low.

So what happens if you travel overseas post 2 shots and still test +?  I've heard a few anecdotal stories that say it's possible to test + like this, but not how this is handled. 

For influenza or for COVID?
Well both arent settled as far as %, but flu is what my comment was directed at since thatvis what your comment was about.

So while serological studies show that the number of people that had the virus asymptomatically definitely outweigh the number of people that fall ill, we dont know their role in spreading and it is likely quite low since their levels of shedding are quite low. 

For influenza or for COVID?
Well both arent settled as far as %, but flu is what my comment was directed at since thatvis what your comment was about.

So while serological studies show that the number of people that had the virus asymptomatically definitely outweigh the number of people that fall ill, we dont know their role in spreading and it is likely quite low since their levels of shedding are quite low
I see. I agree with you and will strike through the word 'contagious' above. "Silent spreading" is still possible, but it's a much reduced risk compared to transmission from symptomatic people.

My point for Chadstroma should have been just that a good number of "stealth influenza" cases are out there every year, and COVID kind of acts the same way from a top-of-the-mountain view.

I was just coming in here to commend Texas for protecting its economy, businesses and jobs.

Everybody knows the risk, conduct yourself accordingly.
So, never leave the house? That's really the only realistic option now that everyone can pack stores to capacity without any requirement to mask up. Hunker down and have everything delivered I guess.

DallasDMac said:
So, never leave the house? That's really the only realistic option now that everyone can pack stores to capacity without any requirement to mask up. Hunker down and have everything delivered I guess.
Long before this pandemic, one of my favorite sayings was, "If you're scared, stay home"... it fits perfectly now.

Retail Industry Leaders Association opposes Texas mask rule ending: 

Will "unfairly put retail employees back in the role of enforcing guidelines still recommended by the CDC...could also jeopardize the safety of pharmacies and grocers that are gearing up as vaccination centers"

Biden: "We're now on track to have enough vaccine supply for every adult in America by the end of May."

:towelwave:

see you in hell, covid 
Yep, this is fantastic news.  We've already gotten a nice uptick in vaccination rates -- hopefully we can really get the floodgates open here soon.

Yep, this is fantastic news.  We've already gotten a nice uptick in vaccination rates -- hopefully we can really get the floodgates open here soon.
We can knock this thing out for all intents and purposes this spring if we dont mess it up like Texas is trying to do. Why potentially give back all of the recent progress when we are so close???

We can knock this thing out for all intents and purposes this spring if we dont mess it up like Texas is trying to do. Why potentially give back all of the recent progress when we are so close???
Red state. Political. Wants to be the first to go maskless. 

Some more people will die in the short-term but I doubt it affects this thing being kicked in the face by the summer. 

I'm here to say masks must apparently work. So my youngest daughter is in pre-k and multiple kids in her class have tested positive for covid. So we waited 1 week and then went and got her tested. Came back negative. So either masks really do make a difference (and she is great about wearing them, especially for a 5 year old) or she's just so damn beautiful that this ugly virus can't touch her. Either way, I'm relieved. ;)

Yea, except if states start acting like Texas, we are going to be back up to January numbers before then.
Texas opened the flood gates. By the end of next week half the states will have significantly decreased restrictions and the other half will be demanding it. It’s the summer of 2020 all over again. Good thing we will have all that vaccine that’s no one will want because they think the pandemic is over.

Long before this pandemic, one of my favorite sayings was, "If you're scared, stay home"... it fits perfectly now.
There was absolutely no reason to lift the mask mandate. You can easily open businesses and leave the mandate in place. Removing the mask restriction at this time is just out and out stupid. There is no reason for it other than the fact Abbott is a moron. And you seem to confuse the words "scared" and "smart." When science and infectious disease experts are all on the the same side of the argument, I feel pretty confident in my point of view.

I'm here to say masks must apparently work. So my youngest daughter is in pre-k and multiple kids in her class have tested positive for covid. So we waited 1 week and then went and got her tested. Came back negative. So either masks really do make a difference (and she is great about wearing them, especially for a 5 year old) or she's just so damn beautiful that this ugly virus can't touch her. Either way, I'm relieved. ;)
I think some people may be immune... 

My sister has two daughters and lives in a small one bedroom apartment. They are on top of each other. Both girls got it. My sister did not and one of the daughters had been kissing her bf and he didn't get it... 

Or maybe they did and had no symptoms? I don't remember if she said they got tested or not. 

I think some people may be immune... 

My sister has two daughters and lives in a small one bedroom apartment. They are on top of each other. Both girls got it. My sister did not and one of the daughters had been kissing her bf and he didn't get it... 

Or maybe they did and had no symptoms? I don't remember if she said they got tested or not. 
I have a really close friend that somehow didn't get it (tested negative 3 times) after his wife and twin daughters were all positive. The twins are schooling from home, the wife teaching from home and he's working from home. It's a small ranch house and they are on top of each other 24x7. 

culdeus said:
So what happens if you travel overseas post 2 shots and still test +?  I've heard a few anecdotal stories that say it's possible to test + like this, but not how this is handled. 
My 6 week trip turns into 7...8.....

This has absolutely crossed my mind :lol:  

Users who are viewing this thread