What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

What are the numbers looking like out there right now?

Anecdotally, I am still seeing more cases than I have since the fall.

My sister took paxlovid for some reason (not sure why), and sure enough she now has a rebound case.

What are the numbers looking like out there right now?

What part of the country are you in?

Even vague stabs at COVID case numbers are no longer really possible. Wastewater data, however, shows mild recent increases in all of the US except the Northeast (click on the "Last 6 Weeks" to see recent effects). You can also scroll down and maybe see wastewater data for your immediate area if your local wastewater system is participating in the COVID data collection.

To check out COVID hospitalizations in you area, scroll down to the US map and zero in on your county. COVID hospitalizations are pretty much low coast to coast.

Worldometers is still good for COVID death figures, though figures are only good up until about a month ago -- newer figures tend to be adjusted several times until they get to be roughly 4-6 weeks old. Still, COVID death rates in the US were, as of about a month ago, lower than are during the worse end of flu seasons.

@Leeroy Jenkins , you had posted about a local uptick in COVID cases in your orbit. Have all or most of those people's COVID cases run their course by now? Know anyone that was bad off from a recent case of COVID?

I thought this was interesting. We've heard about deer catching and spreading COVID amongst themselves. We've also known that humans and deer can spread it to each other, cross-species. What's weird, though, is cross-species spread without contact -- people not around deer catching deer-incubated sequences (at least if I'm reading the article correctly).

From the article:
Several of these viruses appear to still be mutating and spreading between deer, including the Alpha, Gamma, and Delta variants of concern that drove an increase in deaths earlier in the pandemic, long after these lineages were subsumed by the wave of Omicron variants that continue to dominate nationwide.​
Eighteen of the samples had no "genetically close human SARS-CoV-2 sequences within the same state" reported, foiling efforts to track down a precursor variant in humans.​
"Overall, this study demonstrated that frequent introductions of new human viruses into free-ranging white-tailed deer continued to occur, and that SARS-CoV-2 VOCs were capable of persisting in white-tailed deer even after those variants became rare in the human population," the study's authors wrote.​
Three had mutations that match a distinctive pattern of first spilling over from a human to deer, and then later another so-called "spillback" from deer back into humans. Two of these spillback variants were in North Carolina and one was in Massachusetts.​
An investigation with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was able to track down three people who were infected by a variant with this hallmark deer mutation, as well as a handful of zoo lions who were also infected by the same strain.
None of the humans said they had close contact with either deer or the zoo.​

@Leeroy Jenkins , you had posted about a local uptick in COVID cases in your orbit. Have all or most of those people's COVID cases run their course by now? Know anyone that was bad off from a recent case of COVID?

I thought this was interesting. We've heard about deer catching and spreading COVID amongst themselves. We've also known that humans and deer can spread it to each other, cross-species. What's weird, though, is cross-species spread without contact -- people not around deer catching deer-incubated sequences (at least if I'm reading the article correctly).

From the article:
Several of these viruses appear to still be mutating and spreading between deer, including the Alpha, Gamma, and Delta variants of concern that drove an increase in deaths earlier in the pandemic, long after these lineages were subsumed by the wave of Omicron variants that continue to dominate nationwide.​
Eighteen of the samples had no "genetically close human SARS-CoV-2 sequences within the same state" reported, foiling efforts to track down a precursor variant in humans.​
"Overall, this study demonstrated that frequent introductions of new human viruses into free-ranging white-tailed deer continued to occur, and that SARS-CoV-2 VOCs were capable of persisting in white-tailed deer even after those variants became rare in the human population," the study's authors wrote.​
Three had mutations that match a distinctive pattern of first spilling over from a human to deer, and then later another so-called "spillback" from deer back into humans. Two of these spillback variants were in North Carolina and one was in Massachusetts.​
An investigation with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was able to track down three people who were infected by a variant with this hallmark deer mutation, as well as a handful of zoo lions who were also infected by the same strain.
None of the humans said they had close contact with either deer or the zoo.​

My sister had a paxlovid rebound but nothing too bad. Neighbor also was not very symptomatic. Older lawyer friend and his wife were both pretty sick, but didn’t end up in the hospital.

I still dont get how deer could transmit to a human. I have deer that come up to my house and patio daily, but I am never close enough to catch something from one!

I still dont get how deer could transmit to a human. I have deer that come up to my house and patio daily, but I am never close enough to catch something from one!
1) Deer hunting
2) Cleaning up roadkill

I assume a virus can survive in a carcass for a little while.

Has to be something like that, though I didn't think COVID was in any way blood-borne.

Still - it logically follows that there were some links in the transmission chain that never got noticed (see excerpt below, link is in my previous post). To me, that's actually a good thing -- endemic COVID in 2023 makes its way around society like many viruses, but commonly remains unnoticed by those infected.

An investigation with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was able to track down three people who were infected by a variant with this hallmark deer mutation, as well as a handful of zoo lions who were also infected by the same strain. None of the humans said they had close contact with either deer or the zoo.

Dr. Jetelina is only posting about COVID very occasionally now. For those who have been following her, yesterday's column is worth a read: Lessons I learned during the pandemic.

Her "Things I Got Wrong" list is the biggest takeaway for me.

Things I got wrong

Hindsight is 20/20. But there is a difference between being wrong vs. being off because of limited knowledge at the time. There are things I need to be better at in the future, regardless of the rapidly changing evidence. Here are some examples:

• Noise. I initially dismissed lab spillover theory because of the messenger (Trump) and because it was wrapped up in other conspiracy theories. I’m getting better at dealing with noise, but not perfect.
  • Feasibility. I strongly supported CDC’s recommendation on masking under 5 years old, but I ultimately think the WHO got this right (mask over 5 years old). Families were kicked off flights because toddlers wouldn’t wear a mask without crying. I felt for those parents. I was that parent. Feasibility is a big part of public health adherence.
  • Being partisan. I fell for the partisan bait many times. This isn’t how we build new foundations of trust.
  • Being sloppy, like not vetting sources carefully enough or leaving an ACIP meeting early and sending millions the wrong recommendation. (I’m still embarrassed.)

Dr. Jetelina is only posting about COVID very occasionally now. For those who have been following her, yesterday's column is worth a read: Lessons I learned during the pandemic.

Things I got wrong​

Hindsight is 20/20. But there is a difference between being wrong vs. being off because of limited knowledge at the time. There are things I need to be better at in the future, regardless of the rapidly changing evidence. Here are some examples:

• Noise. I initially dismissed lab spillover theory because of the messenger (Trump) and because it was wrapped up in other conspiracy theories. I’m getting better at dealing with noise, but not perfect.
  • Feasibility. I strongly supported CDC’s recommendation on masking under 5 years old, but I ultimately think the WHO got this right (mask over 5 years old). Families were kicked off flights because toddlers wouldn’t wear a mask without crying. I felt for those parents. I was that parent. Feasibility is a big part of public health adherence.
  • Being partisan. I fell for the partisan bait many times. This isn’t how we build new foundations of trust.
  • Being sloppy, like not vetting sources carefully enough or leaving an ACIP meeting early and sending millions the wrong recommendation. (I’m still embarrassed.)

Major props to anyone who is willing to admit their mistakes. Everyone made mistakes in the pandemic.

Things I got wrong​

Major props to anyone who is willing to admit their mistakes. Everyone made mistakes in the pandemic.
Maybe, but let's be honest here:

This should be disqualifying. The fact that this person was unable to separate the messenger from the message, and the fact that she fell for the effort to conflate "lab accident" with "OMG secret bioweapon" illustrates a lack of critical thinking that should cause us to greatly de-value this person's opinion in the future. Lots of people were like this during the pandemic, including way too many people in policy-making positions.

Things I got wrong​

FOH she dismissed a theory because of Trump

Things I got wrong​

I think the main reason Dr. Jetelina dismissed the theory is because top scientists told us these were conspiracy theories. These top scientists authored and received lightening fast peer review of "The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2". Who are you going to trust in this situation?

Based private communications now available, it's clear that the these same top scientists had similar concerns as many outside "their club". But they chose to label these folks conspiracy theorists. See link: Michael Shellenberger's Substack

There is a lot of new information on this topic over the last 2 weeks.

Things I got wrong​

I think the main reason Dr. Jetelina dismissed the theory is because top scientists told us these were conspiracy theories. These top scientists authored and received lightening fast peer review of "The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2". Who are you going to trust in this situation?

Based private communications now available, it's clear that the these same top scientists had similar concerns as many outside "their club". But they chose to label these folks conspiracy theorists. See link: Michael Shellenberger's Substack

There is a lot of new information on this topic over the last 2 weeks.
Stop with this nonsense. She literally said the reason she dismissed this theory was due to trump.

In 2020, this was a good excuse for why the typical man on the street or the typical internet user might "believe the science." Most people think that scientists are wise, immune to corruption, and focused with laser-like intensity on empirical truth. But those of us who work around scientists or who are scientists know that isn't the case. Scientists are just as corrupt, venal, tribal, beholden to professional ambitions, etc. as the next guy. When something like covid-19 comes along threatening to dry up the spigot of sweet sweet NIH money, it's to be expected that these people are going to circle the wagons and lie.

I get why your average person might not have realized that in 2020, even if we all know it today. But a practicing epidemiologist had no excuses. She should have known. I did, and I'm not special.

I get why your average person might not have realized that in 2020, even if we all know it today. But a practicing epidemiologist had no excuses. She should have known. I did, and I'm not special.

???

Practicing epidemiologists aren't a hive mind. It's not like it one of them learns something, all the rest automatically learn it at that same moment.

In general, evidence about the origins of COVID -- both pro and con lab leak -- had a tight lid on it for well over a year. Dr. Jetelina -- and Donald Trump and Senator John Kennedy (R-La), et al -- were not then privy to what maybe 20 people worldwide had learned circa February-March 2020. That means practically everyone opining loudly in public about COVID's origins early on was essentially selling unsupported (at the time) spin. Furthermore: back in 2020, anyone attempting to score political points in the public arena by treating any purported COVID origin as hard fact -- without showing their work -- should have been rightly ignored in the moment.

And no one gets to go back and say "Ha! I knew it all along!" No, you didn't know it - you speculated something lacking detail back then, and can perhaps can back some later findings into your 2020 musings.

???

Practicing epidemiologists aren't a hive mind. It's not like it one of them learns something, all the rest automatically learn it at that same moment.

In general, evidence about the origins of COVID -- both pro and con lab leak -- had a tight lid on it for well over a year. Dr. Jetelina -- and Donald Trump and Senator John Kennedy (R-La), et al -- were not then privy to what maybe 20 people worldwide had learned circa February-March 2020. That means practically everyone opining loudly in public about COVID's origins early on was essentially selling unsupported (at the time) spin. Furthermore: back in 2020, anyone attempting to score political points in the public arena by treating any purported COVID origin as hard fact -- without showing their work -- should have been rightly ignored in the moment.

And no one gets to go back and say "Ha! I knew it all along!" No, you didn't know it - you speculated something lacking detail back then, and can perhaps can back some later findings into your 2020 musings.
Any practicing epidemiologist should have known that "scientists" are not a priestly class of lawful good truth-tellers. She should have understood the professional incentives to circle the wagons. The fact that she didn't tells me that she's not a very good observer of humankind and doesn't have very good critical thinking skills. All the technical training in the world can't compensate for that.

And back in 2020, I did know with 100% certainty that the lab leak hypothesis was not a racist conspiracy theory and should not have been censored by the US government or social media companies. I didn't know that the lab leak theory would turn out to be true (although I'm not surprised, obviously), but I knew that it was well within the bounds of what was possible and that people who were saying otherwise were lying about it. Again, I will note for the record that I've been saying so for years, and I've been very strongly vindicated in that view.

Any practicing epidemiologist should have known that "scientists" are not a priestly class of lawful good truth-tellers. She should have understood the professional incentives to circle the wagons. The fact that she didn't tells me that she's not a very good observer of humankind and doesn't have very good critical thinking skills. All the technical training in the world can't compensate for that.

Where's did all that come from? The beginning and the end to what she copped to was "Trump advocated X so I didn't buy into X at the time". Why would it have been incumbent for someone in her position to accept Trump's spring 2020 COVID-origin take uncritically? Recall that spring 2020 was well before solid supporting evidence of any origin story started leaking out (i.e. actual forensic evidence, not speculative stuff like "C'mon ... they had a virology institute right there!").

EDIT: The disconnect here is that you might be thinking that Jetelina was one who was saying back in 2020, "It was definitely not a lab leak, it was definitely the wet market, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a kook!" I don't think that was her 2020 take at all ... my memory is that she was more "Whoa--we don't know enough yet. Wait and see" while (maybe?) criticizing others who were stridently communicating certainty on the matter. Admittedly, I haven't checked my supposition.

Where's did all that come from? The beginning and the end to what she copped to was "Trump advocated X so I didn't buy into X at the time". Why would it have been incumbent for someone in her position to accept Trump's spring 2020 COVID-origin take uncritically? Recall that spring 2020 was well before solid supporting evidence of any origin story started leaking out (i.e. actual forensic evidence, not speculative stuff like "C'mon ... they had a virology institute right there!").
IK is clearly smarter than she is. It's amazing she can even do what she does since she doesn't have very good critical thinking skills.

You're setting up a false dichotomy between "Trump said X so I didn't buy into X" vs. "Trump said X so I should accept X uncritically." Both of those are more or less equally stupid. What I'm saying is that intelligent people will ask themselves whether there is any good evidence for or against X, and make up their minds based on that evidence, as opposed to whatever Trump happened to be thinking.

IK is clearly smarter than she is. It's amazing she can even do what she does since she doesn't have very good critical thinking skills.
This, but unironically. I have no training in epidemiology whatsoever, but I was able to get this right and she got it wrong, and it wasn't just luck. I've been explaining for years why I thought "lab accident" was a reasonable hypothesis that should have been taken seriously. She admits dismissed it because of stupid tribal allegiances. She and I are not the same. If I had studied epidemiology instead of economics, I'd be a better epidemiologist than this person.

More generally, it's important to recognize that there are different types of ways that a person can be wrong about something. Sometimes, being wrong is just a matter of not having enough information, or having bad information. There's no shame in that. It's totally different to be wrong because you were committing a logical fallacy or something. The first type of mistake can be fixed through better training. The second is more of a skill issue.

For example, nearly all of us were "wrong" very early in the pandemic about how covid is spread. I don't remember why we thought this, but for a little while there was a fairly broad (but loose) consensus that covid was probably spread mainly through surface transmission. So it was real important for everyone to wash their hands, disinfect surfaces, don't man-handle doorknobs and then touch your face, etc. Well, it turned out that covid was airborne and none of that stuff really mattered.* But how were we supposed to know that? It was a brand new virus, and some viruses are actually spread that way, and we eventually figured it out as more information came to light. Nobody did anything seriously wrong here. We were just working with incomplete information, and as we filled in the gaps, we changed course.

The lab leak vs. zoonotic origin debate could have been like that. In principle, folks could looked at the evidence for and against each possibility. Nearly all viral and bacterial outbreaks are zoonotic in origin, so obviously that was a great default assumption. But the circumstantial evidence around WIV should have carried some weight as well. And we know now that academic virologists did accurately recognize that that was a very live possibility, and they tried to cover it up. Could any non-virologist look at genome sequencing and draw any intelligent inferences involving furin cleavage sites? Probably not -- that's too technical for people who don't work in that field. But no intelligent person should have based any of their opinions on this topic on anything Trump said. "Trump said it so it must not be true" isn't the kind of thing you land on because you have faulty information. It's a position you talk yourself into because of faulty reasoning. People who make errors like that in one domain will make similar errors across all sorts of domains. That's why I try to make a mental when people do this, so that I can take that into consideration in the future.

* It's still a good idea to wash your hands regularly anyway. Don't not wash your hands just because covid is airborne.

I've been about 80/20 in favor of Lab leak vs. Wet market. Mostly because of the location of the lab. Occam's Razor and all that.

Per the larger recent discussion: I trust data and information. Not really people so much. Individual people are vehicles through which information is disseminated. I'm not so quick to put much faith in that. So if someone says "did you hear what so-and-so said in their podcast?" or similar, the answer is pretty much no, as I don't put much stock in relying on that type of information. So the YLE person, while I read their posts occasionally, they weren't really ever reporting anything that I couldn't pick up myself from data sources. Bottom line, when it came to COVID, I gotta see the numbers. Individuals and what they say, not really going to move me one way or another.

I've said it for a long time, Covid 2020-22 era was the medical equivalent of the GFC of 2007-09. Lots of silo'd bad actors operating in a mosaic of distinct and loosely-related dark clouds leading up to, causing and then exacerbating the crisis. Sadly in both cases, even as truth bombs slowly revealed themselves, very few of the causal figures were meted, and even fewer punished. Most amazing similarity is in both examples some of the biggest villains are still heralded as heroes by huge swaths of unwitting. Eye opening times, these.

It feels like there is an underestimation for how long "This was created by the Chinese in a lab" was the theory being pushed in this country. I remember reading here in the PSF for MONTHS that theory with MANY people on board. There are STILL people who think this is was created by the Chinese in a lab. This was not something I read in sources I was following so it struck me as really odd to read here. In the sources I WAS reading, the "escape from a lab" theory was always a popular one. There are significant differences in those narratives though and it was tiresome pointing it out as a point of clarity, so I just started ignoring any of those comments at all. Several months in, I noticed more of the latter starting to take over the PSF and it felt like political walking back of an absurd position initially held with some variation of "well, you know what I meant when I said....." stuff instead of just acknowledging the differences.

For the people who still don't believe that "the experts" will lie through their teeth if their own professional interests are on the line, here's a thread of the experts conspiring to lie to you in real time.

Personally, if I fell for the "hey look a racoon dog!" thing, I would be mad at these people for fooling me. But that's just me I guess.

Maybe it's detailed elsewhere.

@IvanKaramazov , if you wouldn't mind: Can you skim through this link and see if this in line with Jamie Metzl's Twitter thread that you linked? It's a long, dense article, so the easiest thing would probably be just to scroll down to the various screen-shot images and confirm if those were the types of Slack messages Metzl was tweeting about.

This shorter article quotes Metzl and shares some more screen shots (some perhaps the same as the first link in this post).

EDIT: Yeah, that first link in this post must cover much of the same ground as the Metzl Twitter thread that Ivan posted. As I read down further, lots of Slack messages are shown and discussed.

Maybe it's detailed elsewhere.

@IvanKaramazov , if you wouldn't mind: Can you skim through this link and see if this in line with Jamie Metzl's Twitter thread that you linked? It's a long, dense article, so the easiest thing would probably be just to scroll down to the various screen-shot images and confirm if those were the types of Slack messages Metzl was tweeting about.

This shorter article quotes Metzl and shares some more screen shots (some perhaps the same as the first link in this post).

EDIT: Yeah, that first link in this post must cover much of the same ground as the Metzl Twitter thread that Ivan posted. As I read down further, lots of Slack messages are shown and discussed.
I can't say for sure if it's 100%, but there is a lot of overlap between the Twitter thread I linked to and the "shorter article" that you highlighted.

I can't say for sure if it's 100%, but there is a lot of overlap between the Twitter thread I linked to and the "shorter article" that you highlighted.

I've read through both of those links. Basically, the July 20th article titled "Covid Origins Scientist Denounces Reporting On His Messages As A “Conspiracy Theory” essentially serves as the Cliff Notes version of the other, longer article from July 18th "Top Scientists Misled Congress About Covid Origins, Newly Released Emails And Messages Show".

The "Covid Origins Scientist Denounces Reporting ..." article actually has links about halfway down where readers can download the relevant Slack messages and emails as PDFs. The Slack messages are combined into a single 48MB file, the emails are all in one 184MB file.

You'll roll your eyes a bit at this, but: I'd really like to see some traditional pre-Internet media corroborate some of this. Maybe a critical mass will build up and traditional media will have to address it.

I'd really like to see some traditional pre-Internet media corroborate some of this.

The Atlantic is taking a crack at it ... but coming to different conclusions:

For more than three hours yesterday, the House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Pandemic grilled a pair of virologists about their participation in an alleged “cover-up” of the pandemic’s origins. Republican lawmakers zeroed in on evidence that the witnesses, Kristian Andersen and Robert Garry, and other researchers had initially suspected that the coronavirus spread from a Chinese lab. “Accidental escape is in fact highly likely—it’s not some fringe theory,” Andersen wrote in a Slack message to a colleague on February 2, 2020. When he laid out the same concern to Anthony Fauci in late January, that some features of the viral genome looked like they might be engineered, Fauci told him to consider going to the FBI.

But days later, Andersen, Garry, and the other scientists were starting to coalesce around a different point of view: Those features were more likely to have developed via natural evolution. The scientists wrote up this revised assessment in an influential paper, published in the journal Nature Medicine in March 2020, called “The Proximal Origin of SARS-CoV-2.” The virus is clearly “not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus,” the paper said; in fact, the experts now “did not believe that any type of laboratory-based scenario is plausible,” and that the pandemic almost certainly started with a “zoonotic event”—which is to say, the spillover of an animal virus into human populations. That analysis would be cited repeatedly by scientists and media outlets in the months that followed, in support of the idea that the lab-leak theory had been thoroughly debunked.

The researchers’ rapid and consequential change of heart, as revealed through emails, witness interviews, and Slack exchanges, is now a wellspring for Republicans’ suspicions. “All of a sudden, you did a 180,” Representative Nicole Malliotakis of New York said yesterday morning. “What happened?”

Based on the available facts, the answer seems clear enough: Andersen, Garry, and the others looked more closely at the data, and decided that their fears about a lab leak had been unwarranted; the viral features were simply not as weird as they’d first thought. The political conversation around this episode is not so easily summarized, however. Yesterday’s hearing was less preoccupied with the small, persistent possibility that the coronavirus really did leak out from a lab than with the notion of a conspiracy—a cover-up—that, according to Republicans, involved Fauci and others in the U.S. government swaying Andersen and Garry to leave behind their scientific judgment and endorse “pro-China talking points” instead. (Fauci has denied that he tried to disprove the lab-leak theory.)

Barbed accusations of this kind have only added headaches to the question of how the pandemic really started. For all of its distractions, though, the House investigation still serves a useful purpose: It sheds light on how discussions of the lab-leak theory went so very, very wrong, and turned into an endless, stultifying spectacle. In that way, the hearing—and the story that it tells about the “Proximal Origin” paper—gestures not toward the true origin of COVID, but toward the origin of the origins debate.

The writer concludes:

Where does this leave us? The committee’s work does not reveal a cover-up of COVID’s source. At the same time, it does show that the authors of the “Proximal Origin” paper were aware of how their work might shape the public narrative. (In a Slack conversation, one of them referred to “the [schmidt] show that would happen if anyone serious accused the Chinese of even accidental release.”) At first they strove to phrase their findings as clearly as they could, and to separate the strong evidence against genetic engineering of the virus—and what Garry called “the bio weapon scenario”—from the lingering possibility that laboratory science might have been involved in some other way. In the final version of their paper, though, they added in language that was rather less precise. This may have helped to muffle the debate in early 2020, but the haze it left behind was noxious and long-lasting.

What's it going to take to move all this out of the realm of "believe what you want to believe"? I wish I knew.

I saw a New York Times article this week that said that we in the US have returned to our pre-pandemic excess death numbers (not necessarily worldwide). I'd link it but it's behind the paywall and I can't find it.

This is great news, as it suggests that not only have COVID deaths just become part of the usual causes, but also that the other issues related to the pandemic (delayed health care due to COVID, etc.) are also back to normal.

saw a New York Times article this week that said that we in the US have returned to our pre-pandemic excess death numbers (not necessarily worldwide). I'd link it but it's behind the paywall and I can't find it.

Nathan R. Jessep posted a YLE link that showed this stat (with graphic) -- his post upthread from Tuesday, July 18th.

I saw a New York Times article this week that said that we in the US have returned to our pre-pandemic excess death numbers (not necessarily worldwide). I'd link it but it's behind the paywall and I can't find it.

This is great news, as it suggests that not only have COVID deaths just become part of the usual causes, but also that the other issues related to the pandemic (delayed health care due to COVID, etc.) are also back to normal.
It’s been that way since Feb/March, more or less

You'll roll your eyes a bit at this, but: I'd really like to see some traditional pre-Internet media corroborate some of this. Maybe a critical mass will build up and traditional media will have to address it.
I agree, and I'm not rolling my eyes at all. As recently as 10 years or so ago, this would be the story of a lifetime. We "know" (or, "it is highly likely that") virology researchers accidentally caused a global pandemic, killing millions of people and severely disrupting society for a year and change. They lied about it. The guy in charge of the NIH, who probably funded the research that caused the pandemic, also lied to both the public and Congress about it. While this was going on, the government conspired with social media companies to stop this story from spreading. That last part, the part about the government conspiring with the media to censor a story that had a high likelihood of being true, is known with certainty. The rest is much more probable than not. Under normal circumstances, the NYT, WashPo, CNN, etc. would be fighting to unearth the truth here. But of course, they were active participants in the whole government-coordinated censorship thing. So I don't think we should be holding our breath.

The self congratulatory back patting is pretty off putting, Ivan. There were lots of things that lots of people got wrong and some things that some people got right. Some things are not truly proven yet and remain conjecture, and likely will for a long time if not forever (China being the ground zero being the root cause of the lack of clarity). You have a lens just like everyone else and are not clairvoyant. And we all should skeptical of what politicians say. I am disappointed in many of the technocrats that should have done better though.

If we stopped listening to people that got things wrong in 2020 there wouldn't be anyone to listen to these days.

Last edited:
I guess it's better late than never when it comes to folks realizing what our media machine and our government is capable of. Ivan, it feels like this "event" was a turning point for you (maybe not? I dunno...just reads that way), but I'll suggest that this was glaringly obvious 20+ years ago, not just 10 years ago...especially the government lying problem. I disagree that 10 years ago the media would be searching for the truth though. That wasn't true 20+ years ago, much less 10.

I guess it's better late than never when it comes to folks realizing what our media machine and our government is capable of. Ivan, it feels like this "event" was a turning point for you (maybe not? I dunno...just reads that way), but I'll suggest that this was glaringly obvious 20+ years ago, not just 10 years ago...especially the government lying problem. I disagree that 10 years ago the media would be searching for the truth though. That wasn't true 20+ years ago, much less 10.
It was. You're reading it correctly. The pandemic and all of its assorted side-plots collectively had what people sometimes refer to as a "black pill" effect on me. I feel like I have a better mental model of the world now, even if I don't like what I learned. I'd rather just stick to covid in this thread, but I will say that if I had a time machine, I would go back and be a little kinder and more sympathetic to people who expressed more skepticism of policy-makers two decades ago than I did at the time. In particular, I used to employ a heuristic that said "People won't publicly lie about things today if they know that their lies will be exposed tomorrow." We've had a few strong counter-examples now that should cause people to remove that heuristic from their firmware.

Edit: I appreciate that this is getting too political for this thread, so I'll just drop it. I've said my piece.

Last edited:
It was. You're reading it correctly. The pandemic and all of its assorted side-plots collectively had what people sometimes refer to as a "black pill" effect on me. I feel like I have a better mental model of the world now, even if I don't like what I learned. I'd rather just stick to covid in this thread, but I will say that if I had a time machine, I would go back and be a little kinder and more sympathetic to people who expressed more skepticism of policy-makers two decades ago than I did at the time. In particular, I used to employ a heuristic that said "People won't publicly lie about things today if they know that their lies will be exposed tomorrow." We've had a few strong counter-examples now that should cause people to remove that heuristic from their firmware.
:hifive:

Welcome. My official turning/tipping point was the Iraq war....though the smolder began with the events of 9/11. I'd encourage anyone in your position to take my challenge and completely cut out the media complex in this country.....at least for 30 days. I think you'll find it a lot easier than you might imagine GB.

The lab leak theory that is out there now is more based on on an accidental leak or accidental infection of something that was being studied. What was being thrown around at the beginning of the pandemic was something much more nefarious -- equating what we know today with what was being discussed in 2020 is disingenuous.

The lab leak theory that is out there now is more based on on an accidental leak or accidental infection of something that was being studied. What was being thrown around at the beginning of the pandemic was something much more nefarious -- equating what we know today with what was being discussed in 2020 is disingenuous.

Please don't accuse others of being disingenuous. That kind of assuming the worst of each other is why we don't have the political forum any longer and a big problem in society.

On that note, please let's steer this overall thread back away from politics. I realize it's maybe impossible to keep that from the COVID thread and if people are unable to, we'll have to close this one. But let's give it a chance and see.

I realize even the topic of keeping politics out of it might create more discussion on that topic. Please let's don't do that here. Please let's drop that and keep it totally on the topic. Thank you.

So who's still wearing masks?
At this point, only when visiting a medical facility that still requires it. Never anymore for retail or groceries. No public transportation, so there's no crowded subway, bus, or train to worry about. Haven't needed a mask at the movies or during the once-in-a-while public events. Our first indoor concert in years will be in October, and we won't be masking then unless something changes really suddenly.

The lab leak theory I have subscribed to from the beginning is that an employee was selling test animals at the wet market. I believe it was Ham who posted an article with that theory early on. Ham's posts are gone here and the web appears scrubbed of any articles mentioning test animals being sold at the wet market.

Users who are viewing this thread