What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

Terminalxylem said:
Nobody know for C-19 specifically, but both untreated sleep apnea and using CPAP increase pneumonia risk.
Cpap doesn't increase pneumonia risk, not cleaning your cpap increases pneumonia risk.   There is a difference.

How is this being handled differently than sars/mers/h1n1?
The first two you asked about were also coronavirus (the other 4 are common colds) with low contagious spreads and high mortality rates. The swine flu was a worldwide pandemic but had a very low mortality rate.

Past coronaviruses have been dangerous, but they have not gone pandemic around the globe. The 2002-’03 SARS outbreak (8,098 cases) — primarily in China and Hong Kong, though with cases around the world — had about a 10 percent mortality rate. But as the disease was swiftly contained, it was never a pandemic, and no cases have been reported anywhere in the world since 2004.

Similarly, the even deadlier MERS coronavirus (2,519 cases)  — with an approximately 35 percent mortality rate — was not very contagious and circulated only slowly. MERS originated in Saudi Arabia, and nearly all transmission has been there, though a traveler from the Middle East spurred a 2015 outbreak in South Korea. It has not been entirely eliminated, but it has never been a pandemic.

In 2009, the H1N1 influenza was deemed a pandemic. One in five people worldwide caught the disease. But it was not very deadly, with an overall mortality rate estimated at 0.02 percent, so the societal disruption was limited and the loss of lives, while tragic, didn’t overwhelm medical systems.

COVID-19 Testing per capita:

Country/Province - Pop. - # Tests - /million

ROK - 51.3M - 189,236 - 3,692

Guangdong - 113.5M - 320K - 2,820

Italy - 60.5M - 49,937 - 826

Israel - 8.6M - 3,451 - 401

Netherlands - 17.1M - 6K - 350

UK - 67.8M - 23,513 - 347

USA - 329M - 1,707 (3/8) - 5
"Thats how you keep the number of infections down!"

-imaginary Trump quote

Not when the guys in the White House are going against all guidelines by WHC and other health experts. Everyone is literally working against the guy. Cases in China are declining because of their rapid response time and tough measures they took early on. The first measure taken should've been ban all travel from and to the US besides those with special cases of medical emergencies and other issues that cannot be stopped. That should've happened about 3 weeks or more. 

What we can learn from China about COVID-19
There is a political thread about this topic.  Take it there please. Thanks

As far as the gov goes it's one of the better orgs.  Not saying alot
At Fort Hamilton and the three hospital campuses that make up the VA Harbor Healthcare System, a ton of outpatient programs were shutdown today. Mostly for physical therapy, PTSD and psychiatric patients. Also, retirees - there are clubhouses in the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Manhattan - were told their social programs are suspended indefinitely, likely a minimum of two months/

Andy Dufresne said:
Ever since they began recommending not touching ones face, mine has been itchy on every square inch of it all day long.
People have the same effect when bedbugs are mentioned.  Let me know if you start scratching your body 

NCAA Men's & Women's Basketball Tournaments so far

IVY League - Cancelled

MAC - Closed to the public

Big West - Closed to the public

Nathan Fenno @nathanfenno

UCLA has barred fans from all home athletic events "at least" until April 10, per release.

I'm no longer seeing any either.  

Quick question:  Is there a limit on the number of ignored users a person can have?  Asking for a friend.
I hope not.  In my first 16+ years on this site, only 6 users on ignore.  In just the last week in this thread, +3 and counting.

Thanks to those of you bringing forward relevant information and constructive conversation.

Did you see updates anywhere for WA overall?  I know in the last day or so two cases have cropped up in the next town over from mine (just across the Puget Sound from King County).
There's a significant amount of underreporting happening as well.   

Swine flu infected 61 million people, killed 575k. 0 cancelled sporting events. 
Is it possible that early data is evidencing  Coronavirus as far more contagious/deadly? Is it possible that 250 million may be infected and 3 million dead when all is said and done?  If so and canceling some sporting events reduces those numbers while they figure this out, is that ok?  

I hope not.  In my first 16+ years on this site, only 6 users on ignore.  In just the last week in this thread, +3 and counting.

Thanks to those of you bringing forward relevant information and constructive conversation.
I’m similar. I’ve put 3-4 on ignore myself which is not something I usually do

Is it possible that early data is evidencing  Coronavirus as far more contagious/deadly? Is it possible that 250 million may be infected and 3 million dead when all is said and done?  If so and canceling some sporting events reduces those numbers while they figure this out, is that ok?  
I’d suggest not responding to shady.  He doesn’t listen and spreads info that is inaccurate 

Last edited by a moderator:
More anecdotal reports. 

Metro North on my line is running at what I guess is 70% of usual.  There were less people today than yesterday when it was noticeably lower.

Our local school has indicated they will shutter when the first case is reported.  

My three Italian workshops report that they continue to work at about 80% capacity despite the lock down. Their older staff have been quarantined for their safety. Two shipments of product were sent out yesterday but are currently held in Italian customs.  They are all freaked out but feel they cannot stop working as they can't do without the income. They report "it's like a bad sci fi movie."  

Midtown Manhattan is weird right now.  There are a lot of people out and about but WAY WAY down from the norm. The mood is super subdued.  

Although the St. Pattty parade has not been canceled, they have yet to drop off the barriers that would normally be staged by now.  I'm going to go ahead and predict a cancellation.  
De Blaise said they are just now getting results from private testing from swabs taken last Friday which resulted in the 27 (I think) new cases today.  So that number will continue to go up the result of the week.  I’m going to guess we’ll easily be over 100 shortly.  All the private schools are closed and they’re only keeping the public’s open so the first responders and health care workers don’t have to worry about finding daycare.  ####’s going to hit the fan quickly. 

Fairway finally was picked over tonight.  

Every single one of those is specific to medical workers treating known cases, which means workers who are not only in very close proximity,  but who are likely in direct contact with bodily fluids. They’re also all likely to have been properly fit tested to make sure the mask is working properly.

You can’t extrapolate that to mean that it’s also a good protection measure for everyone else as well.
:sigh: 

style of mask isn't binary... somethin is better than nothing 

Fit isn't binary... slight misfit is better than no mask, and fitting a surgical/n95 mask isn't Rocket science. The masks don't magically stop working off grounds. If they're good enough to stop transfer when in close proximity they're DEFINITELY good enough to protect someone from incidental exposure that DOES occur in public. America is the rare country with people still dumb enough to not embrace masks as an effective tool to stop the spread of disease. 

You've already got your mind made up so I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time posting these but here are two more studies. If you want to continue on with your stance, have at it. It's of zero consequence to me. Cheers :banned:  

The First Randomized, Controlled Clinical Trial of Mask Use in Households to Prevent Respiratory Virus Transmission:

We recruited 286 adults with exposure to respiratory infections in the Australian winters of 2006 and 2007 - 94 adults were randomized to surgical masks, 90 to P2 masks and 102 to the control group. ... masks as a group had protective efficacy in excess of 80% against clinical influenza-like illness. 

Source: Intl. Journal of Infectious Diseases:

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(08)01008-4/fulltext?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

---

Professional and Home-Made Face Masks Reduce Exposure to Respiratory Infections among the General Population

"All masks provided protection against transmission by reducing exposure during all types of activities, for both children and adults (Table 1). 

Surgical masks provided about twice as much protection as home made masks, the difference a bit more marked among adults. FFP2 masks provided adults with about 50 times as much protection as home made masks, and 25 times as much protection as surgical masks."

Source: US National Library of Medicine

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440799/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf#!po=17.9245

Trying to convince my parents to take precautions has been futile. Dad telling me he "already had the flu" and has "Lysol in the car".
My pop has been pretty dismissive, thankfully I got through to mom. 

Sent dad a 1:1 text basically saying I know he's a hardass and nobody's going to tell him what to do. However, I recalled him sobbing, terrified next to me when mom was in surgery removing a portion of her lung with a cancer scare. 

I told him that lung issue meant COVID could well take her life if she caught this..... and if HE caught it being cavalier, she would most likely get it from him.  Asked him to keep that In mind. 

He's since taken this more seriously. 

My pop has been pretty dismissive, thankfully I got through to mom. 

Sent dad a 1:1 text basically saying I know he's a hardass and nobody's going to tell him what to do. However, I recalled him sobbing, terrified next to me when mom was in surgery removing a portion of her lung with a cancer scare. 

I told him that lung issue meant COVID could well take her life if she caught this..... and if HE caught it being cavalier, she would most likely get it from him.  Asked him to keep that In mind. 

He's since taken this more seriously. 
Nicely done.  If that was my Dad I'd have yelled and cursed at him.  Sounds like your approach is more effective.

My dad claims he never sees anyone except on a golf course and if it gets him scatter his ashes on the back nine.  

I’d suggest not responding to shady.  He doesn’t listen and spreads info that is inaccurate 
Gtfo here. I haven't posted anything inaccurate. Ignore me if you want. Hey at least Djax agrees with you!

For the last time, the Swine flu was LESS DEADLY than the real flu. Killed .01-.08.  A fraction of what this virus kills.
Far more people were sick. Far less events cancelled. 

Why is the death rate all that matters? If so, 0 sporting events cancelled for Ebola, sars, or mers.

Users who are viewing this thread