What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

Florida new cases and deaths by day

4/3 - 1260 , 26

4/4 - 1277,  25

4/5-  805,  26

4/6 - 1279, 33

4/7 - 1118, 42

New cases kind of flattening out but deaths ticking higher.
I’ve been noticing a possible flattening too,  but it seems so un-Florida for this to work out this well for us.

I’ve been noticing a possible flattening too,  but it seems so un-Florida for this to work out this well for us.
Totally agree. Went for a walk tonight near my neighborhood and social distancing was non-existant other than me. Hoping for the best here, but people could be doing a lot more. 

Soulfly3 said:
French news (France 2) tonight says that of the total deaths in France, approximately 75-80% of them were overweight/obese individuals.

They're finding similar numbers in Italy as well, according to the report.

For those that arent aware, being overweight in those countries isn't like here in North America...
I don’t know what your last sentence means. We are fatter than them or vice versa?

Last edited by a moderator:
shader said:
Not every post is doom and gloom. That may have been the gloomiest message I've seen.  But again, feel free to bring some positive thoughts to this thread, instead of just continuing the negativity.
Just logical thought structures based around our new reality.  

We are a long, long way from a time when social gathering are a thing again.  

You may be right.  For all the positivity about the “flattening”, in reality is was a horrific day for the numbers worldwide and in the USA

top dog said:
Today has been a rough mental day for me.  I've been a positive voice with the family (thanks to many things shared in this thread) but I don't know if it is due to my sister being in quarantine due to being exposed as a healthcare worker last week, personally knowing a few people fighting through the virus right now (one in ICU) or that for the first time I can remember, as a family we aren't getting all together on Easter... Either way, I've been struggling keeping my head up today.  My boss asked me why I was being extra snarky on a conference call we had today.  

My wife and I are still working, healthy, bills are all current... No good reason to be down today. I honestly can't give a good reason for my glum mood today over yesterday or any other recent day.  Anyone else fighting "getting in their feelings" over this?

This has been my MO for the past month.  I can't say how grateful I have been to this thread for opening my eyes to this months ago.  I've been on top of this for a long time.  We are stocked up on necessities, cleaning supplies, etc.  The wife and I have had some great conversations that wouldn't have been had in normal busy times..  Tried to focus on the positives.. Been extremely happy with our states response to this and all that.  But damn some of this is taxing.  I've been fighting with my employer for a month on the proper approach to this.  At this point I've lost all faith in our company's leadership and I've been with this company since 1996.  Thought the company was different.  My oldest daughter is now unemployed, but hanging in there taking care of my father who is 85 and stubborn as hell.  Felt the need to go shopping the other morning before she got up.  Came home with soda and chips!  Can't say I totally blame him.  His wife has been dead since 2004, he's beaten a heart attack many years ago and two bouts with cancer.  His back is horrible and he is in constant pain from it.  Not sure I'd just sit around doing nothing at that point.  My oldest son is stationed in the middle east and may not come home when they planned.  Talk of extending their deployment stateside to help if things get much worse.  My youngest son works at Walmart in grocery. He gets beat up every day he goes in and I have to give him the pep talk how he truly IS one of the essential ones out there.  That he is young, in shape, never smoked... That he needs to be there to help the rest of us.  I've worked hard to keep my wife's head above water and out of her feelings through all of that as well. 

I guess sometimes I need that "pep talk" as well.  Thanks to everyone who had kind words to say.  It's just a bad day.  We all have them.  Tomorrow will be one day closer to getting through this BS I guess.
You say "No good reason to be down today." but I'd say there's a whole ####load of reasons right there in orange. I get, and commend you for, the optimistic approach by counting your blessing. But I'm also certain you can cut yourself some slack. Sounds like you're keeping a pretty amazing attitude.

Shopping day today. Maybe 60% in masks and not much social distancing once inside the stores. Wanted to strangle about 10 people. Nitwit city out there. Got some booze though. Have paper towels for the first time in a month. Good on everything for about 3 weeks. 2.5 hours to shop, another 1.5 to wipe everything down here and disinfect the place. Place is immaculate. Praying I didn't catch it today.

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277 reported cases

2/12 - 490 reported cases

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/13 - 64,567 reported cases - 2,239 dead - USA 2,269 cases - 48 dead

3/18 - 138,059 reported cases - 5,715 dead - USA 9,301 cases - 152 dead

3/22 - 255,584 reported cases - 11,350 dead - USA 33,346 cases - 414 dead

3/27 - 514,956 reported cases - 24,048 dead - USA 104,126 cases - 1,695 dead

4/2 - 932,707 reported cases - 49,664 dead - USA  244,320 cases - 5,897 dead 

4/3 - 1,016,190 reported cases - 55,818 dead - USA 276,965 cases - 7,391 dead

4/4 - 1,119,804 reported cases - 61,362 dead - USA 311,357 cases - 8,452 dead

4/5 - 1,191,538 reported cases - 66,105 dead - USA 336,673 cases - 9,616 dead

4/6 - 1,264,826 reported cases - 71,366 dead - USA 367,004 cases - 10,871 dead

4/7 - 1,349,179 reported cases - 78,703 dead - USA 400,335 cases - 12,841 dead

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0

This has been my MO for the past month.  I can't say how grateful I have been to this thread for opening my eyes to this months ago.  I've been on top of this for a long time.  We are stocked up on necessities, cleaning supplies, etc.  The wife and I have had some great conversations that wouldn't have been had in normal busy times..  Tried to focus on the positives.. Been extremely happy with our states response to this and all that.  But damn some of this is taxing.  I've been fighting with my employer for a month on the proper approach to this.  At this point I've lost all faith in our company's leadership and I've been with this company since 1996.  Thought the company was different.  My oldest daughter is now unemployed, but hanging in there taking care of my father who is 85 and stubborn as hell.  Felt the need to go shopping the other morning before she got up.  Came home with soda and chips!  Can't say I totally blame him.  His wife has been dead since 2004, he's beaten a heart attack many years ago and two bouts with cancer.  His back is horrible and he is in constant pain from it.  Not sure I'd just sit around doing nothing at that point.  My oldest son is stationed in the middle east and may not come home when they planned.  Talk of extending their deployment stateside to help if things get much worse.  My youngest son works at Walmart in grocery. He gets beat up every day he goes in and I have to give him the pep talk how he truly IS one of the essential ones out there.  That he is young, in shape, never smoked... That he needs to be there to help the rest of us.  I've worked hard to keep my wife's head above water and out of her feelings through all of that as well. 

I guess sometimes I need that "pep talk" as well.  Thanks to everyone who had kind words to say.  It's just a bad day.  We all have them.  Tomorrow will be one day closer to getting through this BS I guess.
Sounds like you have an amazing family.  And your dad sounds so cool, even if he's frustrating you a little!  Tomorrow's going to be a better day for you.  Did you happen to read the "what you're feeling is grief" article - I believe it's a thread that Joe B posted?  It might help you understand what you're feeling is normal and will get better.

John Prine just died of COVID-19. :sadbanana:
Well, nevermind.  Everything sucks.

It looks like my niece has it. She has all the symptoms. Went to get tested and they told her she probably had it but wasn’t in a high risk group and wasn’t sick enough, so theY refused to test her. They sent her home 🤬

I’m pretty tired of hearing Trump spout off about all the testing we are doing only to have this happen. 

And for the record, my niece and sister are really stupid people and not taking this seriously at all. My niece went to Seattle a few weeks ago. My sister thinks it’s all ridiculous. So in a way, it’s a little bit of street justice being served. But I’m worried about all the people she was in contact with, including my sister, who my wife and I saw briefly the other day...

He can find them, they just don't pay enough.
Yup, supply and demand.  US workers aren't unwilling to do menial jobs.  They are just unwilling to do menial jobs for wages that don't amount to enough to cover gas, food, lodging, clothing and insurance.  So they wait out a better paying job while collecting unemployment and either save more or earn some small amounts from some side hustles.

RI still taking it seriously. Governor keeps talking about keeping a log of who/where each day for tracing. RI was one of 2 states that started a partnership with CVS to offer rapid testing, though it's still only to multi-symptom patients, either referred by primary or by filling out an online form (which sounds easy to abuse for any Joe Public looking to get tested just cuz). CVS was founded in MA and has, for many years now, had its corporate HQ in RI. 

https://turnto10.com/news/local/raimondo-tells-ri-to-prepare-for-surge-of-coronavirus-cases-urges-public-to-stay-home

Stores that I have gone to (all consolidated trips) have been doing pretty well. BJs (wholesale/bulk like cosco) had red tape on floor and a "line leader" in the store for checkout that had carts lining up using red tape (but they have huge carts, anyway) and only allowed to go to a register once it was open. Beer store also has red Xs on the floor, big sign at registers about 6 ft. and a sign at the door that only a minimum of 20 people would be allowed in at a time. Aldi was the best about it. They have a "line leader" outside the store entrance and only allowed 20 in. They had removed all but 20 carts and asked exiting shoppers to bring them directly to the outdoor 'line-leader' to spray down for the next shopper. They force everyone to take a cart to aid with distancing while waiting in checkout line. None of the stores had arrows in aisles but most shoppers were good about it.

Hopefully MA residents have been doing well, too. SIL is an emergency nurse at Morton Hospital in Taunton MA that was tabbed as a COVID only hospital over the weekend.

It looks like my niece has it. She has all the symptoms. Went to get tested and they told her she probably had it but wasn’t in a high risk group and wasn’t sick enough, so theY refused to test her. They sent her home 🤬

I’m pretty tired of hearing Trump spout off about all the testing we are doing only to have this happen. 

And for the record, my niece and sister are really stupid people and not taking this seriously at all. My niece went to Seattle a few weeks ago. My sister thinks it’s all ridiculous. So in a way, it’s a little bit of street justice being served. But I’m worried about all the people she was in contact with, including my sister, who my wife and I saw briefly the other day...
This not testing people is so frustrating.  Sorry to hear it is impacting your family.  

Sorry to hear that. 
Wondering thy since your niece and sister don’t think it’s a big deal. Are they upset about not getting tested?

Staggering Surge Of NYers Dying In Their Homes Suggests City Is Undercounting Coronavirus Fatalities

A SNIPPET: 

"As of Monday afternoon, 2,738 New York City residents have died from ‘confirmed’ cases of COVID-19, according to the city Department of Health. That’s an average of 245 a day since the previous Monday. 

But another 200 city residents are now dying at home each day, compared to 20 to 25 such deaths before the pandemic, said Aja Worthy-Davis, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner’s office. And an untold number of them are unconfirmed. 

If someone dies at home, and we go to the home and there [are] signs of influenza, our medical examiner may determine the cause of death was clearly an influenza-like illness, potentially COVID or an influenza-like illness believed to be COVID,” said Worthy-Davis. “We report all our deaths citywide to the health department, who releases that data to the public.” 

But the health department does not include that number in the official count unless it is confirmed, a spokesman said. 

Curious how much is just normal fatalities just happening at home due to sheltering... and how much is a legit hole in reporting. 

And how exactly can you prove this? I'm all ears. As I stated, if you isolated the high risk folks(elderly, preexisting conditions, medical professionals who will be working with them), you could've had a similar effect. People can pat themselves on the back all they want for making a difference. That's fine.  But to think it's because of themselves as the reason for it happening and not that we were sold a lie from the beginning is a dream. 

And I've spent my career in the medical field and working with sick folks and the elderly. I understand more than most. To not question what's happened and think there wasn't a better alternative to the one taken is mistake. 
Which part of the medical field? Left?

Doug B said:
Risk is relative -- it's more "higher risk" and "lower risk" than "high/low risk". Just because one group gets hit hard in great numbers doesn't mean that those getting hit hard in lesser numbers in another group are individually unimportant.

Put another way: Maybe we're not willing to give up on that "less than 10%" from the under-45 set. And maybe the aggregate number of hospitalizations in the under-45 set is still too many to withstand for some healthcare systems in some areas.

EDIT:

A point that I had intended, but neglected, to make: "Low risk", all too often, gets conflated with "no risk" and thus drives decisions straight into the ditch.
What is your end game expectation? Seems like you think a vaccine will save the day or something else.

I dont think a vaccine will happen in time and i think staying holed up for 18 months is dumb. 

So to me it is about making sure healthcare doesnt get overwhelmed, which is exactly what the high risk people will eventually do if they keep running out for sausage and cheese or baking soda and parchment paper. 

I'm not following this thread at all. Just clicking the last page and reading up when I get a chance. Some of you need to take a breather. No pun intended. 

I need no sympathy either but I'm out in public every day working in a warehouse because we ship medical equipment so we're "essential". I was chastised for a reply to an official corporate statement that I disagreed with over 3 weeks ago. I was called on my personal cell phone by our VP to lay into me on a Sunday night while I was bathing my daughter. The statement was essentially "We'll be fine. Come in to work and do your job". The message from my VP was essentially "Do you want us to send out the warm and fuzzies?" So I totally get the sentiment that your company isn't behind you.

Now, on our weekly calls we're being asked how to avoid infecting co-workers etc. We don't have any PPE. I see the same 9 people every day. But we gotta be in the black, amirite? It's all about that bottom line.

I don't check in often but my PMs are open if you need to vent. I get it. I'm ready to scream. I may or may not have already done so into my couch. Which is ok. 

I try to look at the positives and appreciate our luck in being in a much better position than most, but future uncertainty can turn me. It was 88 today, and kids were having a blast in the pool. Tunes blaring. Wife had a beer, me a red wine, and I had to shake off being snippy and irritated. Really trying to focus on the positives, because there is a lot to, dare I say, enjoy about adjusting to life with time to pursue things other than work.

We’ve been a month and two days into isolating at home and it’s a big adjustment. Stress, but under the surface. Try your best to feel gratitude, really appreciate the good things, at least in proportion to the bad or fear. 

But don’t feel like you need to have it figured out or be perfect in every moment. Hang in.
Shoot man I have cabin fever like no tomorrow but whenever it gets bad I try and think about what it would be like if this were 20 years ago.  Now we have Netflix, videogames, and for us parents out there for the love of god Disney+.

Shoot man I have cabin fever like no tomorrow but whenever it gets bad I try and think about what it would be like if this were 20 years ago.  Now we have Netflix, videogames, and for us parents out there for the love of god Disney+.
Totally agree, as long as we have internet, electricity and are in good health, staying at home isn’t that big of a sacrifice at all.  

Sorry to hear that. 
Wondering thy since your niece and sister don’t think it’s a big deal. Are they upset about not getting tested?
Oh, my sister is all worked up that they didn’t do the test. I still don’t think she realizes the seriousness, but her tune has changed a bit. I haven’t talked to my niece yet.

Why is this true if the numbers are taking such a positive turn?

They're taking a positive turn because of quarantine measures. It took one individual to light the match and begin the exponential spread. We open up society again to large social gatherings and the embers which are still burning can and will quickly start the whole forest burning again. That's why I have a hard time seeing us being in the clear until we have widespread testing, tracing, testing for antibodies, and at least a strong anti-viral treatment protocol.

Mr Anonymous said:
I've been trying to track down a good source on this for a few days, but this is the best I got so far. I'll file this in the "I sure hope it's true category"...

In Italy “70% of blood donors tested positive for Covid-19”

60 people were set to donate blood in a village in the Lombardy region and 40 of them tested positive for Covid-19 with no current symptoms. If this is anywhere near reflective of how widespread the virus is and how many people have already had it, or experience mild to no symptoms, then the restoration of society could be very rapid with widespread quick testing.

Not something drop your guard over but a glimmer of hope.
Although the demographics of blood donors differ from the general population, if accurate, this is really good news. It will be interesting to see how widespread this is when antibody tests are readily available in the US.

Curious how much is just normal fatalities just happening at home due to sheltering... and how much is a legit hole in reporting. 
I suspect, much like we are questioning the death numbers reported in China, there is no good way to close this hole until we test for it. We can’t test all the live patients right now so I don’t think we’re going to get to a point anytime soon to test the dead. I was wondering about this yesterday, all the people where these outbreaks are taking hold, all the folks who would normally be in the hospital for heart attacks, pneumonia, insert your malady of choice here, they didn’t just up & get better until this COVID thing passes. They’re still sick and while maybe not suffering with being directly infected with COVID-19, are still suffering because of it.

Until such a time as we develop a vaccine, I don’t think you can legitimately host a large gathering of people (football/basketball/baseball game, concert). There’s just no way to have large gatherings together and be able to say with any assurance that you aren’t exposing people to the virus. Once a vaccine is in place I think we return to a new normal but until then I just can’t see it. And write it down, it will happen long before this occurs because so many people depend on these events for their income, I personally just don’t think it’s the right thing to do and won’t be participating until I either 1.) have been vaccinated or 2.) have been tested and show that I’ve already had it.   

I'm in SC as well. What is different now with the "stay at home" order? There was already many restrictions in place (albeit some a bit late). Beaches, boat ramps, non-essential stores were already closed, and no groups of 3 or more.  
Nothing that I see except the governor can now say he’s issued a stay at home edict. I was much more surprised by this mandate issued last week than the one we received yesterday. Had no idea the below were not part of the initial essential businesses only mandate a week or so ago:

”McMaster announced on Friday a second order expanding the number of businesses that would be classified as “non-essential” as the state works to slow the spread of COVID-19.

These additional non-essential businesses include furniture stores, home furnishing stores, clothing, shoe and clothing accessory stores; jewelry stores, luggage and leather goods stores; department stores, florists, sporting goods stores, book stores and craft and music stores.”

• Thinking
Reactions: JAA
I'm in SC as well. What is different now with the "stay at home" order? There was already many restrictions in place (albeit some a bit late). Beaches, boat ramps, non-essential stores were already closed, and no groups of 3 or more.  
It seems like McMaster is slowly rolling things out. Every day or so ramping up restrictions. My main relief from the latest order is that it will hopefully keep my parents at the house and also limiting visitors. They won't listen to me.  :shrug:

Yep.  Florida is a potential disaster waiting to happen.  Hopefully it stays low like it is. 
It’s hard to tell time anymore, are we at 3 weeks or just 2 since the Spring Break chaos?  If the latter, we still need to hold our breath, if the former then somehow/some way things have broken favorably in our way.  That certainly doesn’t mean let our guard down or proclaim ourselves out of the woods, just that the monster explosion I think a lot of us expected looks to have been avoided.

Users who are viewing this thread