What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

While I agree with your disclaimer....a 1-2 year postponement is a HUGE deal IMO. 2 years is a significant portion of a human beings life
In the end it's not about how many years a couple is married anyway.  It's about how many total years they're together and the quality of those years.  In fact, more couples would be wise to wait an extra two years before making it official.

Any couple that is unwilling to amend their plans in some way (to account for the health of the people most important in their lives) already has a strike against that marriage being a solid, long-term adventure of a lifetime.  Difficult to imagine a couple that insists on this type of wedding right now also being people making the compromises and sacrifices necessary to make a marriage work.

Sorry if that comes off harsh.  Just seems incredibly selfish considering the circumstances.  Sorry to any FBG put in this type of family situation.  Good luck.

Coworker tested positive Thursday.  I worked with him Tuesday and Wednesday this week.  Masked and distanced 99% of time, but who knows.  Another guy on our team (I oversee a team of 4), is sick too.  Likely will have Covid.

Times are changing.  The disease is running rampant down here in south LA.  If a couple of IT guys down here get it, who never go out, this is getting bad.

And...hell, i may have it.  I'm just a couple days in terms of exposure behind them.  All of us had the test.  Company pays for 2 day turnaround.  Had the quick antibody test - negative.  But got the "back of the eyeball through nostril tickle test" - man that was uncomfortable - and will know back Sunday or Monday.  

Having to have conversations with wife about what we do if i'm positive.  Had to cancel trip for kids up to grandparents due to slight exposure to me, who may be positive, who overlapped in time with them for an hour or so...it's just all crazy.  Affects my wife's job, kids schooling/visits, just to have been exposed to someone who later tested positive.

Now...if i'm positive, my entire family goes basically into lockdown.  My return to work is 14+ days.  Crazy times...but thankfully I have a job (IT) where I can carry on.  But still, pretty ####ty situation...but for me, I'm at about the best side of it I could be.  I guess I could be 20 years younger, but if that was the case I wouldn't have a job like I have.  Anyway, just adding a bit of personal perspective here.  In this thread since early on...but now the effects are hitting me entirely too close to home.  And the next fortnight or more could be incredibly disruptive.
I hear you on it getting bad, same here in Arizona. Used to be concerned hearing about a customer or co-worker maybe getting exposed. Now a couple times a day I’m in contact with something who had it, has it or is waiting on their test results. Just gotta protect yourself and hope for the best.

It’s still surprising how so many still don’t take it seriously. Drove through the neighborhood and there were about 10-15 extra vehicles parked on the street and what appeared to be the end of a large get together without a mask in sight.

Then earlier this morning my wife went for her massage as part of her ‘mommy day’. Her masseuse comes in, tries to shake her hand and immediately takes off his mask and says that he’s not going to wear one and she doesn’t need to either. She of course wanted to keep it on but he kept questioning why and asked if she was sick or something. She wore it but she should have walked right out. We checked their policies and of course he was violating them and that was confirmed by the office. Just so stupid.

My 20 year old (away at college) is flying to Vegas for a four day stay this week for her 21st Bday. There is nothing my wife and I can do to talk her out of it. I just don't get it. My wife is driving up Monday before she goes to give her our birthday gifts. I am just so sad about the selfishness of our society and here I have a daughter who is the poster child for it. 

Just worked one of my toughest shifts since becoming a nurse. Our unit is full, and we're ill equipped to run full....let alone with no prospect of relief in even the intermediate future let alone immediate. Every single patient on a ventilator, half of them COVID positive. Our COVID units are full, and currently have 8 or 10 patients on BIPAPs with uncomfortably high oxygen requirements....patients that would normally be sitting in the ICU. Charge Nurse went to five rapid responses overnight, four of them on that unit. We're in big trouble.

I'm not sure that people realize this is at least partially (IMO greatly but not arguing the %) a result of having a health care system designed A: For profit (hospitals staff and stock for averages, often handle surges poorly, but are in no way capable of reasonably handling a pandemic!) and B: Are rated based on customer service surveys. 

I'm exhausted, frustrated, and angry. We (collectively as Americans) are idiots.

Just worked one of my toughest shifts since becoming a nurse. Our unit is full, and we're ill equipped to run full....let alone with no prospect of relief in even the intermediate future let alone immediate. Every single patient on a ventilator, half of them COVID positive. Our COVID units are full, and currently have 8 or 10 patients on BIPAPs with uncomfortably high oxygen requirements....patients that would normally be sitting in the ICU. Charge Nurse went to five rapid responses overnight, four of them on that unit. We're in big trouble.

I'm not sure that people realize this is at least partially (IMO greatly but not arguing the %) a result of having a health care system designed A: For profit (hospitals staff and stock for averages, often handle surges poorly, but are in no way capable of reasonably handling a pandemic!) and B: Are rated based on customer service surveys. 

I'm exhausted, frustrated, and angry. We (collectively as Americans) are idiots.
GL Ren. Your service to the public is noted and appreciated by most on the first forum. Even though there are those on this board that feel you being maxed is no big deal ("It happens all the time!!!"), the more sane among us totally appreciate what you are doing and what you are going through for a lot of folks, both those there as innocents, and those that are there because they are the cause. I'm sure you treat both with equal caring.

GL Ren. Your service to the public is noted and appreciated by most on the first forum. Even though there are those on this board that feel you being maxed is no big deal ("It happens all the time!!!"), the more sane among us totally appreciate what you are doing and what you are going through for a lot of folks, both those there as innocents, and those that are there because they are the cause. I'm sure you treat both with equal caring.
Thanks. Here's the thing though....we've been full before...many times. THAT isn't really new. BUt full with 18 vents? NEVER BEFORE. Full with the overwhelming majority having no hopes of leaving (except perhaps celestially) anytime in the next five days...NEVER. Full with a half dozen or more patients sitting with GMF trained nurses  (on another unit) that would typically be with us? NEVER. There is nothing remotely normal about this "surge", mostly because there's no reason to think it will go away in a few days like a "normal surge"...this one will be with us for weeks even if new patients DONT come in to the hospital. Oh...and by the way...COVID patients on ventilators are some of the busiest, most difficult patients to boot. Very time consuming, and in full isolation.

Nothing remotely normal about this particular "full". I've finished my giant glass of amaretto now...time for bed. At least I'm not working again tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Here's the thing though....we've been full before...many times. THAT isn't really new. BUt full with 18 vents? NEVER BEFORE. Full with the overwhelming majority having no hopes of leaving (except perhaps celestially) anytime in the next five days...NEVER. Full with a half dozen or more patients sitting with GMF trained nurses  (on another unit) that would typically be with us? NEVER. There is nothing remotely normal about this "surge", mostly because there's no reason to think it will go away in a few days like a "normal surge"...this one will be with us for weeks even if new patients DONT come in to the hospital. Oh...and by the way...COVID patients on ventilators are some of the busiest, most difficult patients to boot. Very time consuming, and in full isolation.

Nothing remotely normal about this particular "full". I've finished my giant glass of amaretto now...time for bed. At least I'm not working again tonight.
So sorry to hear that. I'll keep you in my thoughts. I can't imagine what you are going through. Especially with it being so constant and continual. It must be brutal. As a prior military member, I don't throw the word hero around or use it lightly.  But in my book, you are without a doubt a front line hero.

Does anybody have advice on how/where to get N95's and thoughts on fittings? I have vendors going into hospitals where they are required and they are no longer provided by the hospitals. Any information will be appreciated.
What about this

Initial cost is high, but replacement filters are about 2.15 each. Only other issue would be covering the valve with cloth, but that is easy. 

One approach might be to tell him you'll attend and do your duties, but you'll wear a mask at all times other than when standing up front during the ceremony.  The reception can be handled like a restaurant - wear the mask except when eating or drinking (or giving a toast).  It'd probably be wise to keep your time at the reception brief.  Tough call with your daughter as flower girl.  Same approach?  Mask other than when walking down the aisle spreading flower petals.  Maybe she shouldn't attend the reception.
I thought about that but if I’m the only one (it’s also specifically part of their plan that the party will NOT be wearing masks as they walk down the aisle) then it’s just going to turn into an in person version of a Facebook thread about masks. 

I wish they would severely cut back (have a friend getting married outside in October and they’ve trimmed their list to 10 people) or just postpone. I think a lot of it is they’re young (25 and 20), she’s pregnant and they have conservative families that think this is all overblown since nobody in our area has died from it 🤦‍♂️

I thought about that but if I’m the only one (it’s also specifically part of their plan that the party will NOT be wearing masks as they walk down the aisle) then it’s just going to turn into an in person version of a Facebook thread about masks. 

I wish they would severely cut back (have a friend getting married outside in October and they’ve trimmed their list to 10 people) or just postpone. I think a lot of it is they’re young (25 and 20), she’s pregnant and they have conservative families that think this is all overblown since nobody in our area has died from it 🤦‍♂️
My thought was that for the formal ceremony (=wedding pics), you'd be maskless.  But before and after the ceremony and during much of the reception....if a mask is important to you for the safety of you and your family, wear it.  Tough situation for you.  (My daughter is getting married in November, but accepting the reality that they'll probably need to push it back a year.)

Then earlier this morning my wife went for her massage as part of her ‘mommy day’. Her masseuse comes in, tries to shake her hand and immediately takes off his mask and says that he’s not going to wear one and she doesn’t need to either. She of course wanted to keep it on but he kept questioning why and asked if she was sick or something. She wore it but she should have walked right out. We checked their policies and of course he was violating them and that was confirmed by the office. Just so stupid.
Damn right she should have. 

These don't sound like the kind of people I would be worrying about upsetting. In fact, the more you type, the more I realize there is no way in hell I'd attend that thing. Sorry, but they sound like a couple of self-centered (insert preferred banable word).

These don't sound like the kind of people I would be worrying about upsetting. In fact, the more you type, the more I realize there is no way in hell I'd attend that thing. Sorry, but they sound like a couple of self-centered (insert preferred banable word).
The craziest part is my brother has been safe in just about every way possible. Except when it comes to this. I don’t get it. 

Are they open to any suggestions at all? Like for example seating people by locality during dinner? 

The craziest part is my brother has been safe in just about every way possible. Except when it comes to this. I don’t get it. 
Not wanting to make an assumption here, but any chance it is being driven by a bridezilla? Let's face it, 90% of the time, outlandish weddings are driven by the bride to be.

Not wanting to make an assumption here, but any chance it is being driven by a bridezilla? Let's face it, 90% of the time, outlandish weddings are driven by the bride to be.
It’s very possible. I don’t really know her extremely well (together just over a year...) but she’s a sweetheart (good head on her shoulders) which why I’ve assumed it was pressure from family. 

Im having a little trouble with the arrogance and hypocrisy in this thread.  Granted there are a lot of people chiming in, but there appears to be a consensus that big weddings are a no no.  But isn't this is one of the most monumental events in a person's life?

But we have people going out to eat, going shopping, going to work and even getting a massage.  Many of those things are simply luxuries and not really necessary to survive.

My point being that the lines for what is permissable/safe/wise to do are so grey that calling out other people's behavior is tenuous at best.  Almost no one in here is living at the "bare necessities" only level.  We are all making small compromises and taking small risks almost daily.  Saying someone is stupid for deciding to have a wedding is not a hill I would be willing to die on if I were most of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im having a little trouble with the arrogance and hypocrisy in this thread.  Granted there are a lot of people chiming in, but there appears to be a consensus that big weddings are a no no.  But isn't this is one of the most monumental events in a person's life?

But we have people going out to eat, going shopping, going to work and even getting a massage.  Many of those things are simply luxuries and not really necessary to survive.

My point being that the lines for what is permissable/safe/wise to do are so grey that calling out other people's behavior is tenuous at best.  Almost no one in here is living at the "bare necessities" only level.  We are all making small compromises and taking small risks almost daily.  Saying someone is stupid for deciding to have a wedding is not a hill I would be willing to die on if I were most of you.
The only risk i take is going shopping with a mask on.  Once, last week, i went to a local brewery and sat at a table with my wife and had a beer.  We were the only people outside.  I wore my mask unto the bar to order my beer.

Since March, we have interacted socially with two sets of adults - outside, distanced.

I have cancelled two vacations to Florida since March and am really stressed right now - cabin fever plus trying to stay safe is  a tough combination.

It infuriates me that there is no end in sight because of others selfishness.  My sacrifice is for naught because #######s won't wear a mask, much less refrain from public events.  Its infuriating.

Postpone the damn wedding.  Skip the massage.  Dont dine indoors.  Keep 6' from everyone.  Wear a mask.  We do this and life can get back to normal.

Arizona’s hospitalizations and fatalities appear to be decreasing according to their state dashboard. 
Yeah definitely looking good. Deaths will likely remain high for several more weeks but the biggest surge may reaching the end. Hopefully the optimism continues. There are some reports of patients being diverted to New Mexico because of lack of staffing and beds in Arizona but I would guess that’s the outer areas and not Maricopa county which is driving much of the outbreak.

Sure, but what's the harm in pushing it out to next year or making changes if you have to have it this year?  It's not the end of the world to have a wedding a year later.

Do you really want to risk your 85 year old grandma possibly dying after seeing different family members from out of state simply because we had to have this wedding due to it being "one of the most monumental events in a person's life"?

And yes, your opinion is a little skewed because you've already admitted to no knowing anyone who had COVID-19.

Are they open to any suggestions at all? Like for example seating people by locality during dinner? 
They don’t seem to want to plan at all so I’m done trying to present ideas. Once he said the plan was to hope people are responsible I just stopped. 

The only risk i take is going shopping with a mask on.  Once, last week, i went to a local brewery and sat at a table with my wife and had a beer.  We were the only people outside.  I wore my mask unto the bar to order my beer.

Since March, we have interacted socially with two sets of adults - outside, distanced.

I have cancelled two vacations to Florida since March and am really stressed right now - cabin fever plus trying to stay safe is  a tough combination.

It infuriates me that there is no end in sight because of others selfishness.  My sacrifice is for naught because #######s won't wear a mask, much less refrain from public events.  Its infuriating.

Postpone the damn wedding.  Skip the massage.  Dont dine indoors.  Keep 6' from everyone.  Wear a mask.  We do this and life can get back to normal.
Same. We haven’t eaten at a restaurant (takeout only, n95 masks on when picking up) since February. We haven’t seen family other than 6 feet apart outdoors and I’ve worked from home for 4 1/2 months. It’s beyond ####### frustrating the sacrifices we’re making when others are just going about their lives as if nothing is happening. 

Succinctly -- the bolded is not a good enough reason. The rules are different now, and the rules are staying this way for the foreseeable future.

Same. We haven’t eaten at a restaurant (takeout only, n95 masks on when picking up) since February. We haven’t seen family other than 6 feet apart outdoors and I’ve worked from home for 4 1/2 months. It’s beyond ####### frustrating the sacrifices we’re making when others are just going about their lives as if nothing is happening. 
QFT. Same as you, except no take-out since March 13th.

Succinctly -- the bolded is not a good enough reason. The rules are different now, and the rules are staying this way for the foreseeable future.
Exactly. The “But it’s our wedding!” or “She only turns 15 once!” arguments are bull####. Dead people don’t get to celebrate ANY special occasions. 

For the record, my original question was more intended to ask for advice on how to tell them we’re not going and to deal with all that goes with that decision. I didn’t make that very clear though which is my fault. 

Texas without RGV is at pre July 4th levels which is a big milestone imo.  

Masking even half-### seems to be working.  RGV is a different story.  And a sad one. 

My 20 year old (away at college) is flying to Vegas for a four day stay this week for her 21st Bday. There is nothing my wife and I can do to talk her out of it. I just don't get it. My wife is driving up Monday before she goes to give her our birthday gifts. I am just so sad about the selfishness of our society and here I have a daughter who is the poster child for it. 
Can't blame her at all for going IMO.  Good for her.

I would saying dying of coronavirus would be the most monumental event in someone's life.  

The arrogance is in the people putting on the weeding, expecting everyone to show up to an event with 100+ people in these times, and conform to their ignorance when it comes to the virus.  

I understand the frustration for people that are still taking the max precautions but there has to be a middle ground. This could be life for another year or 2 so everyone needs to adjust. Staying in for that long is just not happening.

Texas without RGV is at pre July 4th levels which is a big milestone imo.  

Masking even half-### seems to be working.  RGV is a different story.  And a sad one. 
What's the access across the border these days?  Is all movement of people curtailed?  I assume truck and rail transport are continuing?  What's the situation on the other side of the border?

I understand the frustration for people that are still taking the max precautions but there has to be a middle ground. This could be life for another year or 2 so everyone needs to adjust. Staying in for that long is just not happening.
Why not? Or asked another way: Adjust in which direction? I guess it depends on the specifics, as always -- for starters, practically no one is staying in now as far as I can tell.

You're right that currents conditions are the reality of life for "another year or two", though I'd say that time frame is a bare minimum.

But we have people going out to eat  - Nope, not once. Only home delivery

going shopping - Groceries, yep. Otherwise, no

going to work - Nope, worked form home the last 4 years. All conferences, training and travel cancelled

and even getting a massage - Nope

Many of those things are simply luxuries and not really necessary to survive.

So no, no hypocrisy, not even a LITTLE bit. As I mentioned up thread, my son had a small civil ceremony outside with a JoP and her parents. That's it. Reception to be held at a future date. Many of us commenting are not making compromises or taking risks other than those that we have no choice about. I think you are projecting a lot of your personal behavior on others, which is pretty common I know. But I don't think your assumption is even as remotely as accurate as you think it is. And I find it pretty ironic you chose to use the phrase "not a hill I would be willing to die on" since that is exactly what the bride and groom are asking some people to risk.

Users who are viewing this thread