What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Cowboys Offseason Thread. 4th pick overall (1 Viewer)

NEVER take a WR in round 1. I don't care about recent trends, most WRs don't break out for 3 years, blow up and then go sign somewhere else for big $ or cost you big $.

Let some other team develope a WR.

Defense, defense, defense.
The recent trends are what they are because of the proliferation of passing in colleges and pro style offenses, WR's are coming into the NFL more ready to contribute right away.

Not saying the Cowboys should take a WR in the 1st, but I think your 3 year rule is becoming outdated (Beckham, Evans, Hopkins)
You're probably right and for all the reasons you mentioned. I still believe in the philosophy in drafting OL/DL/CB and almost in that order every year unless there is someone special.

NEVER take a WR in round 1. I don't care about recent trends, most WRs don't break out for 3 years, blow up and then go sign somewhere else for big $ or cost you big $.

The recent trends are what they are because of the proliferation of passing in colleges and pro style offenses, WR's are coming into the NFL more ready to contribute right away.

Not saying the Cowboys should take a WR in the 1st, but I think your 3 year rule is becoming outdated (Beckham, Evans, Hopkins)
You're probably right and for all the reasons you mentioned. I still believe in the philosophy in drafting OL/DL/CB and almost in that order every year unless there is someone special.
I agree with this. I think you go QB/Safety when there are "can't miss" prospects. Drafting a great safety can solidify a defense for 10+ years, and we all know what franchise QB's can do. LB's and RB's are lower down on this scale because I don't think they affect the game as much as a great QB/Safety. WR's probably should only be taken in the first when it is a weak draft or a team truly has no number one receiver on their team and a great prospect is available.

Unless the guy is Calvin level skills, I totally agree. Nobody in this draft at WR is anywhere near 1st round level. Your best teams will ignore these guys and get a guy in the 2nd or 3rd. Your perpetual losers will take a WR in the 1st this year. Lots of WRs but no one really stands out and I think in a few years we will find out that a guy like Sheperd or Caroo will be just as good or better that Doctson, Treadwell and Coleman.

3 year rule is long gone due to rules of the game. Now it's the 1/2 year rule or at worst, the 1 year rule.

Based on today's news...I am so thankful JF is such an idiot...the latest news will assure he will NEVER be a Cowboy.

I do hope he gets help, but we are a Football team...not a rehab center.

Based on today's news...I am so thankful JF is such an idiot...the latest news will assure he will NEVER be a Cowboy.

The team signed Greg Hardy, knowing full well the extent of the injuries he caused Nicole Holder. I put nothing past this organization.

cobalt_27 said:
Bankerguy said:

The team signed Greg Hardy, knowing full well the extent of the injuries he caused Nicole Holder. I put nothing past this organization.
I didn't like the Hardy signing. I hope Manziel gets the help he needs away from football. I find it sad that others(not here) are gloating about being right about Manziel issues. Football should be last thing Manziel should be worrying about.

cobalt_27 said:
Bankerguy said:

I didn't like the Hardy signing. I hope Manziel gets the help he needs away from football. I find it sad that others(not here) are gloating about being right about Manziel issues. Football should be last thing Manziel should be worrying about.
Agreed. I'm now full on worried for this kid. Seems increasingly apparent this is more than just shenanigans. He needs serious help.

cobalt_27 said:
Bankerguy said:

I think Johnny has done enough that he will save Jerry Jones from himself. I think the NFL will suspend Johnny for next season which will prevent the Cowboys from signing him.

I think Johnny has done enough that he will save Jerry Jones from himself. I think the NFL will suspend Johnny for next season which will prevent the Cowboys from signing him.
Yup, as details have emerged in recent days, I think you and Bankerguy are right. He's just way too toxic. I feel uneasy now even talking about his NFL future, because it seems like he's really in a fight for his life, potentially others. Questioning when/where he plays football again, which was pretty interesting to me just a week ago, seems so irrelevant now.

Dont let fans of other team lead you to believe that their team would not sign a guy with a checkered past. Hardy was a swing and miss. But with all the expectations going into this season after losing in Green Bay on a questionable catch it was not that far fetched to believe they were one player away from a super bowl.

Johnny highball will be a Cowboy......jerruh has no qualms about bringing in questionable character guys and he wanted to draft johnny....yay

Rotoworld) The Dallas Morning News' Brandon George does not expect the Cowboys to re-sign Morris Claiborne. Analysis: The writing was on the wall after the Cowboys declined to pick up his fifth-year option last offseason. The No. 6 overall pick in 2012, Claiborne has played just 40 games in four seasons and has not been effective even when healthy. He should find a cold market.

(Rotoworld) ESPN Dallas reports the Cowboys plan to restructure LT Tyron SmithÂ’s contract. Analysis: Dallas currently has $13.5 million in cap space. Restructuring Smith and DT Tyrone Crawford would create $12M in savings. The Cowboys could save $9.1M from making Brandon Carr a post-June cut.

images

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Ramsey a lot. However, a little worried about taking a CB so high in the Tampa 2 style we play. Same goes for Jack.
I didn't realize the Cowboys ran a Cover 2.  Heck, Jack should be absolutely be the pick in that case.  Cover 2 gets pressure from the front 4, and needs LBs that can cover ground?  Jack's your man.  

Right now....whether I agree or not. It's gotta be one of:

Ramsey

Jack

Wentz

Bosa

Goff

...maybe Elliot.

Cannot see it being anyone else. Thoughts?

Right now....whether I agree or not. It's gotta be one of:

Ramsey

Jack

Wentz

Bosa

Goff

...maybe Elliot.

Cannot see it being anyone else. Thoughts?

Buckner and Ragland might be in the war room discussion.

DL is deep this year, I could see waiting until pick 34 to adress the DL. I could also see going DE @4 and DT @34. If Stephen sees a franchise QB he's got to take him now because we probably won't have a good enough draft pick to get one next year.

Buckner is not a scheme fit imo and Ragland waaay too early.

Buckner and Ragland might be in the war room discussion.

DL is deep this year, I could see waiting until pick 34 to adress the DL. I could also see going DE @4 and DT @34. If Stephen sees a franchise QB he's got to take him now because we probably won't have a good enough draft pick to get one next year.

cobalt_27 said:
God, I've always hated this "scheme fit" argument.  Buckner can flat out play.  The scheme can be adjusted...talent cannot.
Fair point...he is a hell of a player. No argument here....but I also believe it's foolish to not fator how they will fit into the scheme and alignment you play.

He is a 5 technique, in a 3-4. Not a 4-3 DE imo. Maybe we could move him inside, but that also seems silly to do at 4. Buckner will NOT be Cowboy, that much I am sure about.

(Rotoworld) Tony Romo said he is leaning towards having surgery to insert a plate over his left collarbone. Analysis: Romo has broken his left collarbone three times since 2010 including twice last season. He hopes the surgery will prevent the bone from breaking next time he lands awkwardly on his shoulder. The surgery could help, but going on 36, Romo's health can no longer be taken for granted. The Cowboys have to find a capable backup this offseason. Romo should be ready for training camp even if he decides to go under the knife.

Wentz is my top choice now, but assuming he goes to Browns and the Chargers take Bosa, I keep coming back to Jack, too, as my top choice at 4.  Even with Bosa available, I think I'd prefer Jack, but I don't think that would happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wentz is my top choice now, but assuming he goes to Browns and the Chargers take Bosa, I keep coming back to Jack, too, as my top choice at 4.  Even with Bosa available, I think I'd prefer Jack, but I don't think that would happen.
Something about Bosa doesn't sit well with me. I think he is a bust so I am hoping dallas passes on him....

Absolutely!

Im not remotely convinced he is, but if Gurley were in this draft, I'd take him 4.
He is not Gurley, he is different...but I am trying to make point. While I prefer a trade down, do we really care at 4 if Elliott will be stud?

To me....he is a great runner and outstanding blocker...but not the best pass catcher. Makes both our offense and defense better immediately.

If we are going for it and passing on a QB, he is the pick for me. I do think Ramsey and Jack will be better NFL players, but will take time. Elliott would hands down be the OROY. 

We resigned Ro Mac.  1 year. 4 million plus up to a another million in incentives.  Not sure what he did to get a raise, but happy he is back if he can stay on the field.

This also means no Myles Jack.

We resigned Ro Mac.  1 year. 4 million plus up to a another million in incentives.  Not sure what he did to get a raise, but happy he is back if he can stay on the field.

This also means no Myles Jack.
Why?  I'm not sure the #4 pick has to be a selection that fills a void, no less one occupied by McClain on a one year deal.  And, especially considering the versatility of Jack.  

I'm not saying the Boys take him, I'm just saying this signing shouldn't disqualify him either.

Why?  I'm not sure the #4 pick has to be a selection that fills a void, no less one occupied by McClain on a one year deal.  And, especially considering the versatility of Jack.

I'm not saying the Boys take him, I'm just saying this signing shouldn't disqualify him either.
Should have added an imo in there.  My bad. I just don't see them now adding another LB when we have 3 more then solid ones.

Should have added an imo in there.  My bad. I just don't see them now adding another LB when we have 3 more then solid ones.
I dont know that I call Ro "solid". With Lee great but made of glass, I would not rule out a stud like MJ at 4.

On another note, sure would have liked to get Lamar Miller to help insure a defense player at 4. Got to think Zeke is in the mix now, which is not a bad thing either i guess.

Giants spending lots of $$$ ....WOW...Crazy money.

Vernon and Jenkins...

Assume we sit around around and wait for the cheap deals to come our way.

The lack of chatter and discussion in here is depressing.  We used to fill 50+ pages an off season.
It all comes down to Romo.  We can do this or that with McClain, Claiborne, Carr, etc. and pick Bosa, Ramsey, Zeke, etc., and it's all important...but, without Romo it's not a Super Bowl.

Speaking personally, the Hardy thing still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  Does it make me dislike the team or post less?  Not entirely.  But, to say it--and to see the lowest common denominator defend it--pissed me off would be an understatement.

Users who are viewing this thread