What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Defense Streaming*** - Championship Week(s)! (1 Viewer)

Anyone else starting to think GB is a decent DST? They started off poorly, but have looked great for the last 3 weeks. Thoughts?
Thought about that, but then I looked at their schedule:

@MIA

CAR

@NOS

BYE

CHI

PHI

@MIN

NE

ATL

@BUF

@TB

I suppose they might be a decent play in Weeks 15 and 16 (BUF and TB), but that's a ways away (and both on the road). Their next two weeks aren't terrible (@MIA and hosting CAR) , but other than that, I don't particularly like the schedule. Most of their home games (I tend to favor home teams when streaming) are against better-than-average offenses, to put it nicely.

So, yeah, I added them in one league on Thursday (which worked out well). But, I'm not even sure I can hold them in that league, based on who they play in the next two months. I think I can find better options, most (if not all) of those weeks. And, if you're streaming, I'm assuming you don't have the roster space to hold them on the off-chance that you'll start them once or twice in the next 10-11 weeks.

Edit: That said, it does somewhat depend on format/scoring. I wouldn't want to start them regularly in leagues where you get points (or points deducted) for points against. But, in leagues that favor sacks, turnovers, and big plays, I think they could be decent against the likes of MIA, CAR, BUF, TB, MIN, and maybe even CHI, PHI, NE, etc. When relatively healthy, they seem to get a decent amount of pressure on opposing QB's. But, again, I think I would focus mainly on the home games as their best opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else starting to think GB is a decent DST? They started off poorly, but have looked great for the last 3 weeks. Thoughts?
Its certainly possible but those were 3 divisional games. They might have been more amped up. Let's see how they handle a well rested Dolphin team in Miami.

Another way of looking at the GB defense... Through Week 4, they were about #22 (depending on scoring), in terms of fantasy defenses. That included a home game against the Jets in which they scored 4 pts (two sacks and an INT). The Vikings (with Ponder starting) was easily their most attractive matchup thus far, and will most likely be their most attractive matchup all year (other than arguably the Jets, in hindsight). So, I wouldn't read too much into that one game (a game in which Ponder looked both like he was lost, and like he didn't care). That was the first game in which the Pack has had more than 2 sacks (they got to Ponder six times).

I'm not usually one to use the "well, if you throw out this game, that player has only done this much" mentality, since all games do count. But, I think the MIN game was the anomaly, not the Jets game. Other than Week 5, the Packers defense has been below average.

I picked up TEN in three leagues and ate a bad week this week just to get the Jags next week.

They haven't played wonderfully but the secondary is still really good and Bortles can't throw a deep ball to save his life. I expect the Titans to crowd the line of scrimmage to shut the offense down. Bortles will have to take some deep shots to open it up, and if he can't connect, it's going to be a long day.
Not recommended. Way too many red flags here.

I'd avoid the Titans unless I had no other option. They are the 4th worst defense so far this year. Looked good in Week 1 (hosting KC), but absolutely terrible since then. One sack in the last 3 games combined, haven't had a multiple-turnover game since Week 1, and they've surrendered almost 1000 yards in the past two weeks (hosting IND and at CLE).

You can make an argument that, if there was ever a week to start the Titans D, this would be it. But, I think you could make a similar argument for Bortles and the Jax offense (that this will be the week for them to put up some points).

I don't think it's a coincidence that the DST looks better now that the O is playing better. It's amazing what happens when you get adequate rest in between series. I'm flirting with the idea of holding them (starting SF D this week) b/c the next week is a decent matchup and the wire is thin in this particular league. I'm curious to see if they can look decent against a Dolphins team that will run alot, since that's been GBs biggest weakness. They really seem to need the offense to score so teams can't grind it out on them.

I actually dropped HOU for DEN (was somehow available) this week since they were going up against a rookie QB & are finally healthy. While they didn't put up the #'s I was hoping, they're past their bye & the upcoming matchups (aside from SD...any maybe NE) look to be pretty nice:

@ NYJ :thumbup:

vs. SF :thumbup: (for the most part)

vs. SD... :thumbdown:

@NE :thumbup: (at least until last night)

@ OAK :excited:

@STL :thumbup:

vs. MIA :thumbup:

redskins seems to be the play i agree.

with a concussin i dont think stanton is going to be ready this week or will have very limited reps.

bagger said:
redskins seems to be the play i agree.

with a concussin i dont think stanton is going to be ready this week or will have very limited reps.
Washington has been an absolute sieve no?

Titans. Theyre at home, but really just stream the D/ST that plays the Jags until that stops working. Redskins on Thurs. Is a bad idea. They burnt me when I started them against the Giants that Thurs when everyone thought the Giant's O was so terrible.

Widbil83 said:
I agree. I got them last week and think I might roll them out again this week @ Miami.
I'm not seeing GB being a good option against miami. They did well against Ponder but outside of that performance they have been a below average defense. I'm leaning towards BAL vs Tampa...Also if Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton can't go the Redskins look like a good play.

I picked up TEN in three leagues and ate a bad week this week just to get the Jags next week.

They haven't played wonderfully but the secondary is still really good and Bortles can't throw a deep ball to save his life. I expect the Titans to crowd the line of scrimmage to shut the offense down. Bortles will have to take some deep shots to open it up, and if he can't connect, it's going to be a long day.
TEN has been awful. Don't think I can do it. Even matchups aren't foolproof.
I have SD. Can't pull the trigger for TEN either.

I, too, picked up SD a few weeks ago for this stretch. They are currently DEF1 in my league and I see no reason to drop them for matchups after this week in Oakland. Maybe pick up a backup D for Denver weeks, but otherwise I'm riding them out.

Widbil83 said:
I agree. I got them last week and think I might roll them out again this week @ Miami.
I'm not seeing GB being a good option against miami. They did well against Ponder but outside of that performance they have been a below average defense. I'm leaning towards BAL vs Tampa...Also if Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton can't go the Redskins look like a good play.
Good point about Washington I may do that also. I'm not too high on rolling out Baltimore even if it is against the Bucs. I started them in week 1 against Cincinatti and got zero points and rolled them again 2 weeks later against the Browns and got 1pt. Might also look at the Bills vs NE like somebody else mentioned. Or even Atlanta vs Chicago because I'm sure Hester is dying to run a kick back against them and Cutler is long overdue to throw a pick 6.

I, too, picked up SD a few weeks ago for this stretch. They are currently DEF1 in my league and I see no reason to drop them for matchups after this week in Oakland. Maybe pick up a backup D for Denver weeks, but otherwise I'm riding them out.
I picked them up to cover Seattle's bye and now am looking to keep them in the lineup.

Can get Wash. but want to see what Palmer's status is. Also intrigued with Browns at home vs. Pitts...they then have Jax, Oak and TB following.

I have CLE, picked them up early a couple weeks ago. Nobody went for TEN last night (FAAB league) so I added them even.

I know it's almost stupid to look more than 2-3 weeks ahead on defenses, especially when they aren't very good defenses, but....CLE + TEN has this combined schedule:

Week 6 vs JAX

Week 7 @ JAX

Week 8 vs OAK

Week 9 vs TB

Week 10 @ BAL

Week 11 vs PIT or vs HOU

Week 12 @ PHI

Week 13 @ HOU or @ BUF

Week 14 vs NYG

Week 15 vs NYJ

Week 16 @ JAX

Edit: Okay I went full freaking ####### and picked up BAL as well.

TEN + CLE + BAL is this scehdule

Week 6 vs JAX

Week 7 @ JAX

Week 8 vs OAK

Week 9 vs TB

Week 10 vs TEN

Week 11 vs PIT or vs HOU

Week 12 @ PHI

Week 13 @ HOU or @ BUF

Week 14: @ MIA

Week 15 vs NYJ or vs JAX

Week 16 @ JAX

Can get Wash. but want to see what Palmer's status is. Also intrigued with Browns at home vs. Pitts...they then have Jax, Oak and TB following.
The Browns D has been disappointing. Maybe they can do something though against Jax & Oak. TB is no pushover with Glennon under center.

I might be in the minority, but I picked up the Patriots against Orton and the Bills this week. The Pats look VERY renewed last week, and there's no way Orton has 2 solid weeks in a row IMO.

I might be in the minority, but I picked up the Patriots against Orton and the Bills this week. The Pats look VERY renewed last week, and there's no way Orton has 2 solid weeks in a row IMO.
Dink and dunking is fairly simple.

Anyone looking for a stash for week 7&8 should consider Buffalo, if they're still on your WW.

Buffalo probably won't have a good fantasy game this week against New England, but I love the two week stretch after: Home against Minnesota and on the road playing the Jets. They've already had a great year statistically, and these two matchups are very solid.

It's a shame Ponder probably won't be starting against them in week 7, but I'm sure Bridgewater will be good for a couple of rookie mistakes, and I really can't envision the Vikings running against one of the best rushing defenses in the league.

Picked up sd 2 weeks ago, picking up the Browns this week. May pick up the Titans in a few weeks for their end of year schedule.

Oak

Jax

Oak

Tb

??? Bengals??? May have to stream here

Oak

Debating the following three for this week...

Detroit vs. Minny - Detroit is second in the league in scoring D and first in total yards allowed per game. They're a strong real life D, and to date have been a solid fantasy D as well. They're allowing the 4th fewest rushing yards per game and the 5th fewest passing yards per game. Clearly a recipe for success (or at least a solid bet for numbers) when you consider they're also 6th in sacks with 12 so far on the season... but they're 20th in takeaways. This Minny team isn't the same as the one QB'd by Ponder or Cassell - Teddy can play. I'm a tick nervous that Minny puts up some points, but I think this is a safe bet if Detroit is available.

Houston vs. Indy - You're counting on a couple of things if you go this route: 1) Thursday night games have been ugly to date; 2) the Texans D has been solid to date against some solid offenses; 3) Indy may not have the running game to take advantage of Houston's biggest weakness; 4) Houston is at home. I don't like betting against Andrew Luck with a fantasy DST, but Houston at home has been a solid play, and outside of the Giants game on the road in NYC, Houston has scored an average of 12.5 PPG (21, 9, 13, 7). Unlike Detroit, they're 21st in passing yards allowed and 25th in rushing yards allowed, yet somehow 4th in scoring D - the definition of bend don't break. They're also racking up the big plays; despite being 23rd in sacks, they lead the league in takeaways with 12 on the season. Again, likely a solid bet on a short week at home, and they just held the Dallas offense in check, which statistically is darn near the Colts' equal in total yards per game and points per game, despite Dallas doing most of its damage on the ground while Indy goes through the air. That may actually play into Houston's hands a little better.

Indy vs. Houston - The flip side of the Thursday night matchup is a tough test for the Indy D that's been' on a roll. The past 3 weeks Indy has posted an average of 13.3 PPG, taking full advantage of a favorable schedule. Indy's run D ranks 12th in the league in yards per game, while the passing D is 16th, and the scoring D is 15th in PPG -- in other words, middle of the pack. Like Houston, they're scoring on big plays, tied for fourth in the league in takeaways with 10, and tied for 6th in the league in sacks. Ultimately, if Foster is unable to go (which it seems like he'll play at this point), I'd be comfortable betting on Indy for this week as Fitzmagic just doesn't scare me and Blue, while playing well considering he's a rookie, just isn't Foster. If Foster plays, I still doubt this one ends terribly for Indy, but they lose some of their luster.

Moving forward, schedules for the three are as follows:

DET - @MIN, NO, @ATL, BYE

HOU - IND, @PIT, @TEN, PHI

IND - @HOU, vs. CIN, @PIT, @NYG

If you're playing for just this week and plan to go elsewhere for the next few, I'd take DET. But I sure wouldn't want to play them vs. NO or @ATL... not until they prove shutting down GB was completely legit (which they'd need to do, for me, against NO - while on my bench). Houston's stretch looks pretty good prior to that Philly game, though the Pittsburgh running game is a bit scary. Houston also should be welcoming some dude named Jadeveon back into the fold shortly. Indy would be a 1 week rental for me.

Any thoughts?

Squintz82 said:
New England is owned in most leagues (86% on Yahoo for example)

I wouldn't hesitate to start them where I have them.

Picked up sd 2 weeks ago, picking up the Browns this week. May pick up the Titans in a few weeks for their end of year schedule.

Oak

Jax

Oak

Tb

??? Bengals??? May have to stream here

Oak
CLE's schedule matches up well to multiple other teams. CLE has a nice looking stretch coming up and then teams like BAL and TEN have a nice run towards the end (I'm angling BAL, weeks 14-16 they play @MIA, JAX, @HOU, and BAL is a decent looking DEF in their own right)

I'm still starting TEN everywhere and believe at worst they'll be a low-end DST1 (I think I just made that up) this week. It's like the inverse of the old immovable object vs. unstoppable force adage. What happens when an extremely movable object meets a very stoppable force? Bortles has thrown 2 INTs in every single game he's played in so far. He's been better, for us, than Henne (only threw a single pick). I'm going with the movable object.

The Browns D has been disappointing. Maybe they can do something though against Jax & Oak. TB is no pushover with Glennon under center.
It all depends which Browns D shows up. One half they are atrocious and the next half they are lights out. I've been using them the last few games (minus their bye), and it's worked out well. The nab a few sacks and a turnover and still meet/beat their projected scores (at least on Yahoo). If this D can put it together for a complete game they would be lights out. I'm hoping this is the week. If not, they have a good stretch for a few games and then I'll most likely drop for Balt (if still available).

since Cleveland keeps getting mentioned, for those of you who can't hold two defenses and want to get ahead on them for the Jax and Oak games they are not a terrible start this week. Looking at Pitt:

Week 1 vs Cle: 3 sacks, 1 Int

Week 2 @ Bal: 2 sacks, 1 int, 2 fr

Week 3 @ Car: 1 sack

Week 4 vs TB: 5 sacks 1 fr

Week 5: @ Jac: 4 sacks 1 fr

That's a lot of sacks and fumbles given up so far and Cleveland has had only one real bad game against Baltimore getting only 1 sack in the game. Double digits very possible this week against Pitt especially if your league doesn't penalize you giving up yard and points.

since Cleveland keeps getting mentioned, for those of you who can't hold two defenses and want to get ahead on them for the Jax and Oak games they are not a terrible start this week. Looking at Pitt:

Week 1 vs Cle: 3 sacks, 1 Int

Week 2 @ Bal: 2 sacks, 1 int, 2 fr

Week 3 @ Car: 1 sack

Week 4 vs TB: 5 sacks 1 fr

Week 5: @ Jac: 4 sacks 1 fr

That's a lot of sacks and fumbles given up so far and Cleveland has had only one real bad game against Baltimore getting only 1 sack in the game. Double digits very possible this week against Pitt especially if your league doesn't penalize you giving up yard and points.
Do people really create, and join, leagues where the single most important stat for a team defense (points allowed) doesn't count?

This strategy is not working for me. At. All.

I started the season with the Rams...implosion.

I picked up the Pats D when they played the Chiefs since they had been scoring well...implosion.

I picked up the Bengals D last week against the crappy Pats...implosion.

Hell, I might as well roll with the Falcons D the rest of the year. They can't do any worse.

I picked up the Pats D when they played the Chiefs since they had been scoring well...implosion.

Hell, I might as well roll with the Falcons D the rest of the year. They can't do any worse.
I have a solution for you: Pick teams with decent defenses that are playing against the Jags, Vikings, Jets, or TB, and you will go far.

I have a solution for you: Pick teams with decent defenses that are playing against the Jags, Vikings, Jets, or TB, and you will go far.
TB's offense has been playing better with Glennon, and the Vikings offense may improve with Bridgewater. He played well a couple weeks ago.

psst....and oak

Thoughts on GB this week @MIA? I know kast week was possibly more a product of a bad MIN offense, but it's not like MIA has been anything special.

Thoughts on GB this week @MIA? I know kast week was possibly more a product of a bad MIN offense, but it's not like MIA has been anything special.
I like SD and TEN better but I think with their offense clicking again their defense will be better. There are worse plays...

I like SD and TEN better but I think with their offense clicking again their defense will be better. There are worse plays...
First off, Id agree w/ SD being the play IF available (The rookie RB performing too)

• sixth in points to QB/ Carr possibly returning from injury
Im also planning to role w/ the Packers D, and also starting Clinton-Dix.. But lets be honest, Im here reading your guys post too!

I don't believe its no stretch too say the Packers give up some yds! However Miller hasn't really played up to potential, and Moreno is returning from injury..

The real kicker for me is, its in Mimai..

It wouldn't shock me much to see Pitt or Wash be the play, after its all said and done. Yep, Im feeling confident this week..

I don't think it's a coincidence that the DST looks better now that the O is playing better. It's amazing what happens when you get adequate rest in between series. I'm flirting with the idea of holding them (starting SF D this week) b/c the next week is a decent matchup and the wire is thin in this particular league. I'm curious to see if they can look decent against a Dolphins team that will run alot, since that's been GBs biggest weakness. They really seem to need the offense to score so teams can't grind it out on them.
Excluding the Thursday night game, GB is the 23rd ranked defense in my league. Streamed them for that game, but I don't really trust them otherwise.

Excluding the Thursday night game, GB is the 23rd ranked defense in my league. Streamed them for that game, but I don't really trust them otherwise.
BUT the Packers DST play is improving so looking at 23rd rank for the year is misleading

If people want to play tonight's game, I'd go with Indy. Last 3 games they're averaging 297 yds, 15 pts, 4 sacks and 3 turnovers. Houston offense ranked 14th for pts allowed to fantasy defense this year. Indy's offense is 27th. So even though Houston has the better defense, Indy would be the better play.

Same here..I wish SD had their bye week already.

Need to figure out what to do in weeks 8, 10, & 15. The rest is gravy.

Risk dropping them and picking them up on the wire, or roster 2 def on those weeks.

I'm considering Dolphins, Rams, and Cowboys right now. Chiefs avail too.. that may work best.

If people want to play tonight's game, I'd go with Indy. Last 3 games they're averaging 297 yds, 15 pts, 4 sacks and 3 turnovers. Houston offense ranked 14th for pts allowed to fantasy defense this year. Indy's offense is 27th. So even though Houston has the better defense, Indy would be the better play.
:goodposting:

I am going back to the Thurday night well again for the third game in a row. Worked out good with NY and GB last week.

Users who are viewing this thread