What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Dez Bryant (1 Viewer)

I can't think of any case ever where a football player has sat out that long and came back to be a legitimate, usable fantasy player. Could be someone I'm overlooking, just can't think of anyone.
Ricky Williams? He missed almost 2 full seasons. But he was never injured.

Rapoport has the timing of Bryant's Achilles' injury wrong -- it actually happened in November 2018. Bryant was not signed to any team in 2019. Furthermore, he hasn't played an NFL game since December 2017.

Bryant, physically, is totally done. He'll never be able to plant and cut sharply on that Achilles again.

I can't think of any case ever where a football player has sat out that long and came back to be a legitimate, usable fantasy player. Could be someone I'm overlooking, just can't think of anyone.
Wasnt there that Bill Lb that had it and then I think he may of ended up on the Bengals or something and was pretty good?

Steve Smith??  Kind of hard to say because he was quite old when he was injured.  I'm just trying to think of people.

Rapoport has the timing of Bryant's Achilles' injury wrong -- it actually happened in November 2018. Bryant was not signed to any team in 2019. Furthermore, he hasn't played an NFL game since December 2017.

Bryant, physically, is totally done. He'll never be able to plant and cut sharply on that Achilles again.

I can't think of anyone.

If it had happened it would be very notable and easy to remember I would think.

Ricky Williams? He missed almost 2 full seasons. But he was never injured.
Ricky Williams missed two non-consecutive seasons (2004 & 2006), then missed . Check out the link -- was he injured in 2007 when he only played one game?

He did have a nice fantasy season as a 32-year-old RB.

Ravens signed WR Dez Bryant to their practice squad. 

At long last, Bryant is with the Ravens after working out for the team in August. Bryant has been out of the league since tearing his Achilles' tendon with the Saints last year. He could be a decent speculative add in super-deep fantasy leagues, but it's hard to imagine the Ravens offense supporting another fantasy relevant pass catcher. 

- Ian Rapoport

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravens promoted WR Dez Bryant from the practice squad. 

Bryant evidently proved himself in 11 days on the taxi squad. The 32-year-old has not played a regular season snap since Dec. 31, 2017. He suffered a torn Achilles' tendon in the interim. Translation, even in the Ravens' talent-deficient receiver corps, Bryant probably isn't going to do enough damage to make himself a fantasy option. His Ravens debut comes in a tough Week 9 matchup with the Colts. Bryant will probably be on the field for 10-15 snaps.  

- Rotoworld

Josh Gordon. But he was 5 years younger. 

I still can’t wrap my head around this. He was so good so early on and then gone for what felt like 5 years.
I don't get it either. He was a physical receiver definitely but hardly known as "sure handed". They could use an Anquan Boldin type guy but I just don't see Dez filling those shoes. 

Dez Bryant (COVID-19) has been ruled out for Week 13 against the Cowboys.

Bryant's positive COVID-19 result was reported after the Ravens' Week 13 inactives. He's a last-second scratch, vaulting Miles Boykin into a larger than expected role. Bryant had been the No. 2 or No. 3 receiver in recent weeks with others sidelined. We unfortunately won't be able to witness his #RevengeGame. Hopefully he's asymptomatic and followed NFL protocols.

SOURCE: Dez Bryant on Twitter

Dec 8, 2020, 7:44 PM ET

Following his positive COVID-19 test, Dez Bryant said he is "going to go ahead and call it a quit for the rest of the season."

In yet another normal day in 2020, Bryant tested positive for the coronavirus just minutes before the Ravens' Week 13 kick-off after warming up with the team. Bryant is obviously upset for multiple reasons and tweeted that he's pondering a sudden opt out. It's unclear how serious he is, but Bryant will not play in his revenge game against the Cowboys. The NFL has dodged day-of positives for most of the season. Their luck may be running out.

Dec 8, 2020, 7:55 PM ET

Hmnnn.  🙈🙉🙊

📸  Picture     Not considered worthy of isolation after coming in 'contact' with a player who has VID.

Ravens coach after learning of Dez Bryant’s COVID test before kickoff: ‘Have to trust’ contact tracing

...  Bryant greeted several Dallas players during warmups and tossed passes with his teammates before he came off the field. 

... Some observers wondered why the NFL did not halt the Ravens-Cowboys game before kickoff Tuesday to avoid risk of the virus spreading.
OK, lets see what happens this week with his former and current teammates who were in close contact with an infected player.  

Dez Bryant said in a Twitter post that he tested negative for COVID-19 in back-to-back tests. 

"I'm not excited about it," the beleagured, salty veteran said on Twitter. Bryant said on Tuesday that he'd "call it quits for the rest of the season" after being forced to leave the field just before Tuesday night kickoff against his former team, the Cowboys. Maybe Bryant will change his mind in the coming days after thinking about his COVID-19 dilemma over a nice bottle of red. Either way, he shouldn't be rostered in normal sized fantasy formats. 

Dec 10, 2020, 1:09 PM ET

Dez Bryant did not practice Thursday. 

Bryant said on Twitter Thursday that he had multiple negative COVID-19 tests since being taken off the field Tuesday night just before the Ravens played his former team, the Cowboys. He has not been placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said Bryant is "certainly an option. He's part of our team, and I was really happy with his progress and how he was practicing." If Bryant, 31, has quit for the season -- as he stated on Twitter minutes after being yanked from the field Tuesday -- then he may have played his final game as a Raven. 

SOURCE: Jamison Hensley on Twitter 

Dec 10, 2020, 2:06 PM ET

Ravens placed Dez Bryant on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

The saga continues. Two days after Bryant was hurried off the field just before kickoff against Dallas, and on the same day Bryant claimed on Twitter that he had tested negative for the virus a couple times, he winds up on the COVID list. The disgruntled veteran didn't practice Thursday, and now it's clear why. The chances of Bryant playing another game this season are exceedingly small. Willie Snead, meanwhile, was removed from the COVID list on Thursday. 

RELATED: 

Willie Snead

SOURCE: Baltimore Ravens on Twitter 

Dec 10, 2020, 4:02 PM ET

Ravens activated WR Dez Bryant from the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

Whatever was going on with Bryant is over after seven days. Bryant supposedly tested positive pre-game last Tuesday night against the Cowboys, but they were then announced as false negatives. Then he went on the coronavirus list, anyways, on Thursday. Bryant will catch a couple two three passes down the stretch, but not nearly enough to force his way into the fantasy mix. 

Dec 15, 2020, 4:36 PM ET

Pretty cool to see him score three years later, never liked how his career just petered out so quietly. Idk why but I always liked him a lot 

Dez Bryant caught his only target for an eight yard touchdown in the Ravens' Week 16 win against the Giants. 

Bryant now has two touchdowns on four targets over the past couple games. Perhaps it's his reward for not retiring after being placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list. For now, his only consistent usage is in the red zone, where he clearly has Lamar Jackson's attention. Bryant won't be a viable fantasy option in Week 17.

- Rotoworld

Dez Bryant failed to catch his lone target in the Ravens' Division Round loss to the Bills.

Bryant was able to make it back into the NFL following an Achilles tear, but he doesn't have the explosiveness to be a contributor anymore. It's certainly possible he retires in the coming weeks. Bryant, 32, had six catches across six games for the Ravens in 2020.

- Rotoworld

The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec said Dez Bryant is unlikely to return to the Ravens in 2021. 

Bryant, 32, had one catch or fewer in seven of his eight games as a Raven, demonstrating a total inability to separate. He was almost exclusively used in the red zone. Baltimore doesn't have much reason to bring him back beyond a leadership role in a locker room without such veteran presence. It's possible we've seen Bryant play his last NFL snap. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Feb 15, 2021, 8:56 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread