What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** official February shark pool "what I want my team to do" mock draft ****. Round 4 starts on page 16 (1 Viewer)

They were not forced to pick up the option. Generally speaking it's a huge difference in building a roster. Of course if they guy sucks the 5th year option should be irrelevant.
I know and the situation where he ended his fourth year not only with a stinker showing all his bad sides but also an injury is (likely) unique.

They were not forced to pick up the option. Generally speaking it's a huge difference in building a roster. Of course if they guy sucks the 5th year option should be irrelevant.
Jacksonville did get some bad luck with the 5th year option only guaranteed for injury, and then Bortles needing surgery, thus guaranteeing it. I think the opinion last year was somewhere between "Bortles sucks" and "Jury is still out" when they picked up the option, so it is hard to say it was a bad move without hindsight. 

The potential benefit is still huge with the 5th year option for QBs, it is just funny that there is a notable exception this year. 

The potential benefit is still huge with the 5th year option for QBs, it is just funny that there is a notable exception this year. 
And that was my only point.

I probably could phrased it more elegantly, without emojis

Probably.  These are usually the types who jump up in the draft after the measurements are official.
There's talk that his 10-20 yard splits and 3 cone numbers will be comparable to Aaron Donald but Settle is doing it at 45 pounds heavier than AD.

Jacksonville did get some bad luck with the 5th year option only guaranteed for injury, and then Bortles needing surgery, thus guaranteeing it. I think the opinion last year was somewhere between "Bortles sucks" and "Jury is still out" when they picked up the option, so it is hard to say it was a bad move without hindsight. 

Maybe I'm biased because as an Eagles fan they took the risk and rolled double sixes, but I thought even at the time it wasn't a good move. Over his first three years Bortles never finished better than a 59% completion percentage, 23rd in ANY/A, or 24th in DVOA. It was no secret that his counting stats were wildly inflated by garbage time.

You don't hitch your wagon to a guy with that resume for possibly two more years because you wholeheartedly believe he's going to take a massive fourth-year leap; you do it because you're scared of the alternative. Sure, they might not have gotten to the AFCCG in 2017 with them, but who doesn't think the Jags would be better-positioned for 2018-2020 with a second-year Mahomes or Watson at the helm right now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm biased because as an Eagles fan they took the risk and rolled double sixes, but I thought even at the time it wasn't a good move. Over his first three years Bortles never finished better than a 59% completion percentage, 23rd in ANY/A, or 24th in DVOA. It was no secret that his counting stats were wildly inflated by garbage time.

You don't hitch your wagon to a guy with that resume for possibly two more years because you wholeheartedly believe he's going to take a massive fourth-year leap; you do it because you're scared of the alternative. Sure, they might not have gotten to the AFCCG in 2017 with them, but who doesn't think the Jags would be better-positioned for 2018-2020 with a second-year Mahomes or Watson at the helm right now?

The risk of them being hitched for 2 years was pretty low, though. I thought I had heard that only 1 player ever cashed in on the "5th year guaranteed for injury only" clause. So I can see how Jacksonville just saw it as a team option $19m deal with minimal risk.

If Bortles reverted to 2014 form last year that would have been a decent bargain considering what guys like Glennon and Osweiller were getting in free agency.  I don't think it would have taken a massive breakout to make the 5th year option worth it for them.

2.54 Kansas City Chiefs - Donte Jackson CB LSU

They seem intent on dumping Peters and Jackson could end up as a 1st rounder. The Chiefs like speed!

Andy Dufresne said:
He looked terrific in that game vs Georgia.
I was really thinking Settle would drop to me, but I'll take the consolation prize. Bills couldn't get to the QB last year.

Carolina* (11-5) .539

Giants from Buffalo - from Los Angeles Rams* (11-5) .504

Tennessee* (9-7) .434

Atlanta* (10-6) .543

San Francisco - from New Orleans* (11-5) .535

Pittsburgh* (13-3) .453

Jacksonville* (10-6) .434

Minnesota* (13-3) .492

New England* (13-3) .484

Cleveland - from Philadelphia* (13-3) .461

2.57 Titans

The premise here is what I want my team to do.  I want my Titans to draft from my Jayhawks. Helps that he's a good value here and fills a need.

Dorance Armstrong, DE/OLB, Kansas.

Raw, but freakish EDGE prospect whose character, work ethic and motor make him the perfect developmental prospect.

Also, if anyone wants to take the Steelers pick via PM - I'm out in about 10 minutes, possibly until tomorrow.

2.59- SF 49ers select Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State

49er receivers are OK, but no standout talents in the group. They need to give their new franchise QB a big time talent.

OK, I just sent a PM but no need.

Steelers select Sam Hubbard, OLB, Ohio St.

Not the athlete TJ Watt is, but gives them another pass-rushing option with a non-stop motor and good technique.  With a little coaching, he could be an above-average NFL starter, can drop into coverage and seal the edge against the run, the Steelers need guys that can do all of these things (hence Harrison not playing all year.)  They need depth there anyway and he's a potential long-term starter opposite Watt if the Steelers decide to move on from Dupree as expected after this year.

OK, I just sent a PM but no need.

Steelers select Sam Hubbard, OLB, Ohio St.

Not the athlete TJ Watt is, but gives them another pass-rushing option with a non-stop motor and good technique.  With a little coaching, he could be an above-average NFL starter, can drop into coverage and seal the edge against the run, the Steelers need guys that can do all of these things (hence Harrison not playing all year.)  They need depth there anyway and he's a potential long-term starter opposite Watt if the Steelers decide to move on from Dupree as expected after this year.
It was either Hubbard or Armstrong for my last pick. I suspect they take Hubbard but I like Armstrong.

The Jags need an interior offensive lineman to help open holes for Leonard Fournette. But although Mercedes Lewis' option was picked up, he's ancient and doesn't offer much receiving production. This offense needs a playmaker at TE.

The Jaguars select Jackrabbit TE Dallas Goedert.

Vikings select Chukwuma Okorafor OT Western Michigan

Even though they improved their line with last year's signings, just a couple injuries wiped them out. Still need some interior line help.

With the 2.32 selection in the 2018 NFL Draft so generously given to us by the Philadelphia Eagles in the Carson Wentz trade, the Cleveland Browns select Deon Cain, WR, Clemson

Darnold, Jones, Cain on offense, Chubb and Hughes on D. Are you kidding me???? 

Users who are viewing this thread